Stopping Power (not a perk) How to improve under-represented weapons

One thing that bothers me in zombies is that there are some weapons that are more or less useless. If you get a war machine you throw it back immediately. I don't like how some guns have next to no redeeming qualities. There should be at least one good reason why you should keep every gun. Now some weapon categories are thoroughly under represented because of this. Although they have some specific uses, nobody is ever begging for a launcher, shotgun, sniper, or pistol. How can we fix this?

My idea on how to make these more desireable is to give them stopping power. I don't mean the perk, I mean literally the ability to slow down / stop a zombie in its tracks.

Realistically a goddamn wall of buckshot should send a human body sprawling, but in zombies they just keep running. What if it did cause them to slow or falter? It would be mich more desireable as it protects you more if cornered, and allows you to keep a train / camping spot under control more easily, like a real riot policeman.

Snipers could gain this benefit as well. They aren't very widely used, and the ability for a high calibur bullet to cause a zombie to stagger would make it legitimately useful, The same could apply to high-calibur handguns.

Launchers and explosives, however, are a different story altogether. Currently they are an absolute abomination in zombies. I want you to think about something though. Have you ever seen someone in a movie get blasted 20 feet from an explosion and get up fine? probably the answer is yes. Well that is absolute bull, and here's why: In order for a shockwave to send you flying, it has to hit you with the same amount of force as a solid object sending you flying the same distance. So it's like all of your internal organs being hit by a bus.

Zombies are apparently eating their goddamn wheaties, because they don't even flinch when they are effectively being hit by a force comparable to being struck by a moving vehicle. Make zombies at least fall over and I'll be happy. You might be able to get some legitimate use out of an RPG as a medic-style support weapon, buying time by spamming explosives and keeping zombies from gaining footing.

This would only apply to a few select weapon categories listed above, as they are the ones that need the most of an advantage to reach the level of effectiveness of most SMGs / ARs.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree about the explosives! Such a powerful blast should at least cause them to falter, even if they are crazy super powered... Which they are for the record. Every weapon needs a reason to exist... And even if that is in pack a punched form its good enough for me. Like the kap-40, really stupid weapon simply due to low ammo reserves. I love that thing when i have speed cola and double tap.. Its a brief frenzy, but a frenzy still. I paped it for the first time expecting loads of ammo and got next to nothing. Some of the guns in zombies are an absolute joke, and its not fair.

I mean it's good to have some weapons that are better than others. If every weapon was great, it wouldn't be a gamble. That's the point of randomizing what you get. But having some that are purely horrible or almost useless is no fun. At least give us one specific reason why we should keep any given weapon.

I agree. It would make zombies more interesting if the weapons did different things to the zombies rather than simply damaging them. The only "stopping power" gun we have is the Sliquifier. And that really isn't much of a big deal. It just makes them slip around a bit. But that's the sort of thing they should add more of.

A shotgun should most definitely stop them in their tracks. It should knock them back a bit and then they'd have to pull themselves together before chasing you again.

Oh and about the everyone hating pistols and snipers thing...I happen to love using the python, executioner, Five-Seven and the DSR 50. Just saying.

Now the SMR on the other hand...no. Just no.

I mean I like pistols as well but snipers are a long range weapon used in a game mode where every enemy is right in your face. If you ditch the scope they are great. The same applies for all of them though: Power weapon VS point weapon. You choose between a weak automatic which puts out more points, or a strong shotgun / pistol / sniper which gives less points per kill but guarantees a one hit kill. Decent players take the weapon with the lower damage and higher point gain because theur skills fill in the gap of the tine to kill. However this could add another reason to use the power guns.

Stopping power advanced: shoots RPG at enemy player. Enemy player flies up and head gets stuck in the ceiling.

don't you mean...

null_zps3441cf4a.png

stopping power PRO?

Tee hee

now that I think about it, It could work well as a perk. I just put that in the title so that people don't confuse it with the already existing multiplayer perk of the same name, which is basically downgraded double tap 2.

But seriously, imagine how cool that would look, Rpg a train of zombies, and they fly everywhere!

AND THEY FLY EVERYWHERE!

Yes, yes, and more yes. Just like the Thundergun, right? That is, if you angle your shot just right. No, really. I agree. What happens now is unacceptable. A zombie horde charging me and coming head on into my Claymore should not leave the ones in the back still running and just bleeding, no...They should be laying on their backs a few yards from here.

even so, imagine this. A zombie is 10 feet in front of you, and you shoot an rpg right behind it. It lurched forward 8 feet and lands face down. It is up and running again within a few short seconds. Now imagine if you hadn't shot. How long would it take for the zombie to reach / hit you if you are stationary 10 feet away? maybe like 2 seconds? It would still partially delay them depending on exactly how they fall / go flying. You could still be cornered by sprawled zombies though if you use an RPG on a large group. Perhaps this could be a balancing factor, making launchers less universal and more "high skill high reward."

even so, imagine this. A zombie is 10 feet in front of you, and you shoot an rpg right behind it. It lurched forward 8 feet and lands face down. It is up and running again within a few short seconds. Now imagine if you hadn't shot. How long would it take for the zombie to reach / hit you if you are stationary 10 feet away? maybe like 2 seconds? It would still partially delay them depending on exactly how they fall / go flying. You could still be cornered by sprawled zombies though if you use an RPG on a large group. Perhaps this could be a balancing factor, making launchers less universal and more "high skill high reward."

You know, for a long time I've wondered what actually could be different with zombies (apart from the basics).

Having this as part of the engine would totally change strategies. Imagine (we have used that word so much in this thread!!!!) Town or Nuketown. Very small maps, with people training close to one another. I shoot my mustang sallys at my train, but it's round 30, so they don't die immediately. Instead they are all flung towards my teammate who is now having to fight off 2 trains!

Or, a totally different idea, imagine the feature on Die Rise. Training in the Buddha room, it's easy, but someone else has the Sliquifyer. Round 45+ and it's taking several shots to the head to kill even one zombie. Time for a new idea- form a train and BLAST THEM OFF OF THE MAP!

Now zombies can feel vertically challenged!

Ok, but take this, zombie 3 ft away is effect by blast, lands ON player and makes him go prone! 

Even better: RPG to a horde during training… Your whole system is messed up and falls apart, forcing you to abandon your training area! FANTASTIC!

AH…. In actuality we aren't going to be getting these cool features by COD BO3 Trayarch don't got the time to build a whole new engine if they haven't already started... BUT COD 2018 could potentially have all of this and more! 

I could imagine them working around changing the physics engine. If it actually was a perk or something, the specificity would accomodate for its dramatic difference from current physics. They could just add a basic knockback system in cod 2015 to hold us over until the technology catches up. We don't want to chanfe it too dramatically all at once, because remember: people fear change. You can't just reinvent a game's physics in one step. You have to gradually get the gamers acclimated to that change. That way it goes from classic to new to awesome, rather than classic to completely different. It would be a bit of a shock.