I won't miss the cave, and to my knowledge, there is a similar cave on Moon, I would have to check youtube though because I've never been there. What REALLY sucks, is I can't farm my legendary crafting materials in the Queen's missions. What's the real point of doing them after you have her whole set? Besides with +18 light, it's nothing more than a starter legend piece, I have yet to see a legend with less than 18 light so I assume that's the minimum.

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rare, Legendary, and Exotic armor will have a value for +Light. Maybe not quite every rare, but you'll see it soon enough.

Basically your level past 20 is dependent on your armor that you are wearing. Each piece, except class specific, can have a +Light stat, along with the normal stats for Intellect, Discipline, and Strength. You need to hit preset totals of +Light to make each level.

Oh, and it stays with the armor. If any of those characters who were level 26 or so decided to buy a full set of normal white gear from the cryptarch, they'd downgrade back to level 20 as well.

Easiest way to get best light armor is to level your vanguard rank up, and do weekly heroics so you can get strange coins.

Once you get vanguard up to 2, you can buy purple gear off of your class specific vanguard dude for vanguard marks.

And you only need 13 strange coins to buy orange (exotic) gear from Agent of the Nine.

I would strongly back getting your vanguard rank to 2. I went from 20-23 fairly easily and then stalled for a couple of days. It may have just been the random aspect of the game, but once I got rank 2 I was able to make a lot of progress pretty quickly. It seemed like I was getting a lot more legendary drops and rewards once that happened. 

The backlash against Destiny, mostly due to a lack of story and content, is hilarious. I've played over 100 hours of this game in 3 weeks, and I'm still having fun. What game out there still has you playing through new content after that amount of time?

I would strongly back getting your vanguard rank to 2. I went from 20-23 fairly easily and then stalled for a couple of days. It may have just been the random aspect of the game, but once I got rank 2 I was able to make a lot of progress pretty quickly. It seemed like I was getting a lot more legendary drops and rewards once that happened. 

The backlash against Destiny, mostly due to a lack of story and content, is hilarious. I've played over 100 hours of this game in 3 weeks, and I'm still having fun. What game out there still has you playing through new content after that amount of time?

I get both sides of it.  Folks that wanted a more Halo-esque story and campaign probably got bored with it after finishing, folks who were more into the looting and raids and repetition stuff like yourself are loving it.  I'm kind of in the middle, I can't play it for a long long time without getting bored, but I also still have the desire to pop it in and play with friends for an hour or 2 most every day or every few days at least

Thanks for the advice about the vanguard level though, that helps a ton

Anyone else having massive connection problems with Destiny? It was barable till the patch yesterday. Now I can't stay in a game longer than 2/3 minutes. It really is pathetic, to have an alpha and a beta, only to have more server problems in the actual game. Nearly three weeks in, and it's even worse than release date. Sigh.

Tattoo, if you're on Tuesday / Wednesday, I'd love for you to join us?

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

My connection to Destiny is pretty decent still. Hasn't changed since the update. I usually only get disconnected once every other day or so.

Is it just me, or are Xurs items somewhat disappointing this week?

I mean the exotic helmet I can buy only really has a health regen with super activation.

I'm not sure if I want to buy anything or just save up for next week.

RIP Cave Farming.  It is now patched.

Bit late chapping in here but I am delighted they patched that cave. It was a very obvious exploit that I felt ruined the game. Farming is just a new way of saying spawn abuse really, and although not necessarily an exploit, it is when you force 4 spawn points into 1.

I actually got a little deflated when I found out people were using it, thinking... "Oh God, it's GTA all over again" and stopped playing for a few days but when it got patched I got straight back on the grind and went from level 20 to 24 in 2 days.

It may have been long and daunting, but I earned it!

People found a new 'cave' almost immediately after. However I've noticed that many people don't know about it.

I don't like using it personally, but sometimes, it really is the only option if you're stuck at those mid 20s when you're just kind of waiting for legendaries.

The primary problem is the fact that the drops and decryption process is kind of awful.

I find it very clunky, and unrewarding. I don't get excited about legendary engrams because I know that they're probably just blue things.

I mean the only other game that I've played that has a loot drop system is Diablo 3, and although it's a slightly different style of game, the loot drops in Diablo 3 excite me. Legendaries explode onto the ground with obnoxious noises and giant freakin orange laser beams.

In Destiny, a purple D20 just kind of flops around. It's too rare, and it too often turns out to be a lie anyways.

I think if they added loot drop percents to the difficulties for replaying missions it could make things much nicer.

For example any "Hard" difficulty will drop double the engrams, or only drop blues and higher. Then increased legendaries for 'very hard' or something.

Or they need a new 'horde' game mode where you plop in a room with constant spawns of thralls and acolytes and such. Then people can have their high drop rates, but Bungie can focus on designing the rooms so that motionless camping is more difficult.

It could be like the farming method using the Dark Beyond story mission, where you constantly respawn right as you first open the temple of Crota and get rushed by some 15 thrall. Too quick and too many to kill without moving.

Lol that cave.....

I didn't know there was another found but I think the few times I used it, once I was making dinner, the other time I was folding laundry and once more I just went there for an hour or so to farm.

I can safely say though, I've never been rewarded with items better than what I obtained through strikes and patrols, it's probably just bad luck but regardless, with every patch breeds a new exploit, just surround yourself with honest players and you'll be ok.

Yeah I use the cave for leveling weapons, my abilities, weapon parts, and armor parts.

It's not about the drops at all, it's just an easy way to get building materials.

Oh and did I mention cryptarch level?

There will always be purists - but just because I've found a more efficient way of getting building materials, does that really make me less if a purist? The engram drop amount is the same as playing regular, the only advantage is not having to move around. Don't really see the harm in that...

Yeah I use the cave for leveling weapons, my abilities, weapon parts, and armor parts.

It's not about the drops at all, it's just an easy way to get building materials.

Oh and did I mention cryptarch level?

There will always be purists - but just because I've found a more efficient way of getting building materials, does that really make me less if a purist? The engram drop amount is the same as playing regular, the only advantage is not having to move around. Don't really see the harm in that...

I'm in the same boat. I don't really understand how it's game breaking.

If I spend several hours grinding away at strikes for vanguard points and reputation so I can buy my legendary gear from vendors how is it different if I spent hours shooting into a cave? It takes time regardless of which way you do it.

I actually can't be bothered with the farming now, all of my legendary engrams have been from doing random missions, and my luck seems to be really bad when I do try and farm.

I didn't think it was a big deal either but I understand why they patched it. Fortunately, the next patch will add most of the things Mega mentioned. Legendary engrams decoding only to legendary or better, and the same with rare. Increased drop rates. Engram rewards for higher level strikes. Hopefully in a couple days the game will feel less like a grind with almost no reward.

If you rank up with the Cryptarch or your faction before the patch, I think you should not open the reward package. Existing engrams will be downgraded to blue, but I think if the package is unopened, you can guarantee yourself a Legendary or two after the patch. I hope, anyway.

Personally, I just found it very cheap. I don't consider it the same as sitting in a glitch in zombies, so certainly don't frown upon people who do/did it.

I just prefer playing the game is intended, and get more fun out of doing actual missions to get my earnings. Sure. sometimes it ain't always worth it, but this is a long term game (3 years Bungie are talking), and you are not supposed to get good stuff everytime. If you did then you would max out far too quick and the game would become like GTA... boring and pointless. One you have accumulated millions in GTA, but already have the best apartment and car set there is nothing left to do.

I was not fully aware of what kind of drops you got in the loot cave as I never used it, so didn't realize the engram drop amount was the same.

People found a new 'cave' almost immediately after.

142bryc.jpg

@DeathBringerZen I totally get what your coming from - but farming is something that happens often in RPGs. Farming is an intended method for playing RPG's. For example, in Borderlands 2 - you'd farm a loot boss over and over until you got a legendary drop. Playing missions and story alone won't grant you the supplies you need, so often you have to level the playing field.

Also - the in game currency exploits for GTA were completely game breaking. However this cave method doesn't give you thousands of glimmer, it doesn't give you any real advantage other then knowing the enemies will consistently spawn. After I've run the daily. The weekly, the nightfall, the bounties, the queens wrath missions, and anything in between - I kind of just want to kick it. It's like taking a break after you get important stuff done.

When you camp in zombies, you consider the spawns. You consider what's behind you, and you work as a team. This is essentially just camping Destiny.

I just prefer playing the game is intended, and get more fun out of doing actual missions to get my earnings. Sure. sometimes it ain't always worth it, but this is a long term game (3 years Bungie are talking), and you are not supposed to get good stuff everytime. If you did then you would max out far too quick and the game would become like GTA... boring and pointless. One you have accumulated millions in GTA, but already have the best apartment and car set there is nothing left to do.

I was not fully aware of what kind of drops you got in the loot cave as I never used it, so didn't realize the engram drop amount was the same.

People found a new 'cave' almost immediately after.

142bryc.jpg

I'm just going to respond as it's listed.

- don't get me wrong DBZ, I do ALL the missions and bounties and everything. However once you've completed all the extra stuff, bounties won't revert until 2am my time. So often times it is when I literally have nothing left to do that I turn to farming. I'm at such a high level that even running missions on level 28 difficulty won't give me rewards. Playing the game "as intended" (as you called it) will literally yield nothing for me. So it's either I can run around killing stuff, or I could just relax and kill stuff. Same outcome.

- farming the cave is in no way about "getting good stuff every time". First off good stuff barely exists because everytime I take a legendary engram to the cryptarch he screws me over. A legendary drop will drop just as commonly around the map as it does in a loot cave. The actual engram system is based on how long an enemy is alive in the world. If the enemy is a designated loot carrying enemy (by the game), then the more time it spends "alive" the higher chance you will get a good drop. HENCE, you actually have less of a chance for good drops while farming because you kill them so fast. The whole point is about getting consistent green guns and armor, so you can stock up on the materials you get when you dismantle them. It's not about the loot, glimmer - it's about stocking up on necessary materials that aren't readily provided by simply playing story missions.

- on the topic of "maxing out and the game becoming pointless"... yeah that's not going to happen. Ever heard of ascendant shards aka the bane of everyone's existence? Asides from doing the VoG, there is no way to get shards on a consistent basis. Meaning, light leveling will be he same slow grinding process for everyone. This cave brings you no further to leveling up light-wise, other then providing you with materials for upgrading gear. You still have to go out and collect spin metal, helium, etc and you still need shards.

- the engram drop is the same, it's just the spawns are faster. The reason it seems people get more engrams is because more then average spawns occur. It's the same drop percentage, just with a different velocity if you will.

Lastly, I wouldn't fret about what other people are doing. Hopefully what I've said here will assure you that no one is zooming past you using this farming cave. List I said, I totally agree GTA's issue was game breaking - but that's because there was only 1 form of currency. Destiny has got multitudes of currency, marks and crafting materials - it's alllllllll good.

@GRILL

Thanks for explaining in-depth how the cave worked and also how some of the in-game features work. Although I have been playing it fairly regularly, I am still very confused over how a lot of things work. I really should spend some time reading up on it tbh as I am basically living off info spoon fed to my by people I play with. lol.

Anyway... I was unaware of how the loot system worked via that cave because I never used it and neither did anyone I played with. Whenever I play I just grind out strikes and patrols (to get my bounties), and do the daily/weekly challenges. I don't farm yet because I was not really aware of the importance of it. Heck, I only just found out yesterday about the guy (something 'of the nine' I believe) who sells legendary weapons but that it needed to be purchased using 'special coins', which I also didn't know even existed till yesterday also!? lol

I genuinely assumed people were ranking up via that cave and getting their weapons and armour upgrades quicker too.

The cave at most gives dedicated farmers a play for reliable green, and semi reliable blue engrams.

However, if I understood the patch notes properly for the 1.0.2 patch rolling out this week, farming will lose a lot of need as they are making adjustments to the cryptarch and engram system.

Engrams will no longer decrypt to be of lower value than the color of the engram.

Blue engrams will have a higher chance of decrypting into a legendary.

Rare and Legendary engrams will be added to th activity rewards for the Daily Heroic Story, The Weekly Strike, and The Vanguard Tiger Strike playlist.

It didn't mention how frequently those engrams would appear as rewards, but it does mean that replaying the weekly strike or daily story, or the tiger playlist will give you a much higher chance for legendary and rare engrams as a completion reward, along with whatever engrams you get during the mission.

Alsok don't save engrams waiting for this update. All encrypted legendary engrams will be demoted to rare if they haven't been decrypted when the update rolls out, and the encryption odds only apply to engrams found after the update.

I'm trying to imagine what the world would be like if this had been in place since launch... I'd have so many more legendaries.

I think I've had some 12-20 legendary engrams and only 2 actually became legendaries. Both are heavy weapons too.

Different rant: I'm worried about the longevity of this game. It's only been about a month since launch, and I've already maxed out half of the 6 subclasses. My warlock is level 26, and I can only increase by upgrading armor, no longer just by replacement.

Is that really all that is left until the first expansion? I hope with the updates they continue to introduce new missions, raids, and gamemodes.

Am I the only one that wishes the engrams would stay the way they are?

Yes it sucks getting some purple, then seeing it become blue, but it's the fact that I don't know is what keeps it entertaining, it's a gamble with a low pay out chance, so when it happens it's a small victory for the day.

I checked out the new farm spots last night, and actually found one close to the one in the cosmodrome that has two doors that spawn enemies...I stayed there for an hour or so after a long night of strikes and patrols, I ended up getting one purple and it turned into a rare armband for my warlock, uselessness lol.

Also was told yesterday that Xur spawns at 9am Friday morning standard time, and ends 9am sunday. Was a little let down to get off work yesterday and see he had already been called back to wherever the hell he's from.

ALSO....I found these weird coins in the tower last night, well, I found one in the tree next to the weaponsmith and couldn't reach it, I ended up getting frustrated and a friend looked up the info, all they are, are a chance to find all the coins (through taking screen shots and uploading them) and turn them into Bungie, the prize......a one of a kind emblem :huh:  <_< I'll pass.

help! how do i do the queen stuff? the reef is empty for me and i am anoob

The Queen's Wrath is a series of bounties which reward you with Queen's Favour, Queen's Wrath (tokens) and experience. Queen's Favour is like a rank to do with the Queen's Emissary, who is on the Traveller's Walk (the area behind the Bounty Board). Form her, you can buy exclusive weapons, shaders, emblems and class items.

The Queen's Wrath tokens unlock a special bubble above the Daily/Weekly/Nightfall things while viewing the level select screen (the icons on the far left) where you play a level 24 version of a specific set of missions, which rewards you with either a Legendary helm, a legendary chest armour or a legendary sniper. There is also apparently a chance for a legendary ship, though I have never seen one personally. 

@Tattoo247 yup, I'd like them to stay as they are. The only thing I'd love to change is the probability of the blue ones creating acandescent materials. Say every five you trade in, one becomes a shard or piece.

On that note, anyone have a miracle method of getting them? So far it just seems to be the weekly strike and public events (and packages) that I seem to get them from.

Also, has anyone else noticed a higher frequency of getting the public events? Since that last patch, we seem to be getting maybe 2-3 a night, whereas in the first two weeks I seem to have had maybe 2 the whole time!

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

help! how do i do the queen stuff? the reef is empty for me and i am anoob

The Queen's Wrath is a series of bounties which reward you with Queen's Favour, Queen's Wrath (tokens) and experience. Queen's Favour is like a rank to do with the Queen's Emissary, who is on the Traveller's Walk (the area behind the Bounty Board). Form her, you can buy exclusive weapons, shaders, emblems and class items.

The Queen's Wrath tokens unlock a special bubble above the Daily/Weekly/Nightfall things while viewing the level select screen (the icons on the far left) where you play a level 24 version of a specific set of missions, which rewards you with either a Legendary helm, a legendary chest armour or a legendary sniper. There is also apparently a chance for a legendary ship, though I have never seen one personally. 

i found the bounties and everything, but they say to kill so and so fallen in the reef, and when i go to the reef there are no missions to select

Archived