It's hard drive only because you can't store a huge file like that on your cloud.

Still don't understand the reasoning for not letting me store this file on my 16gb thumbstick...... It's the first time I've ever seen something labeled as -hard drive only- and it's just annoying a little. I haven't touched my cloud on xbox ever so that's out anyway, but what's the reasoning why this is hard drive only?

Bout to go find this "destiny" and shove a thumbstick up that alpha alpha patch and drop off my beta for reals lol

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Played two hours so far and I am not blown away. sooo... 0/10 

Seriously: I think I have just played way too many FPS games and I kinda want to play something else.

The game looks good and it plays well though.

I will get it when it is cheaper.

I've played about 9 hours of it today, and I must say, it is amazing.

Once I beat the story, I took to a few matches of MP, then to the Explore of the Cosmodrome, and did around 10 missions there. Then, when I finally reached level 7, I attempted the Strike on The Devil's Lair. Took us a long time but we finally made it, and that got me to 8. For the last few hours, I've just been replaying that mission on Hard, and it never gets old. I love the borderlands-esqe loot system, and that really sweetened the cake for me.

Overall, a lovely beta which convinced me to purchase the game.

It's hard drive only because you can't store a huge file like that on your cloud.

Still don't understand the reasoning for not letting me store this file on my 16gb thumbstick...... It's the first time I've ever seen something labeled as -hard drive only- and it's just annoying a little. I haven't touched my cloud on xbox ever so that's out anyway, but what's the reasoning why this is hard drive only?

Bout to go find this "destiny" and shove a thumbstick up that alpha alpha patch and drop off my beta for reals lol

Exactly.

Destiny is the ONLY thing I have known that is Hard Drive only.

I can install Windows to a USB. (Maybe driver issues but meh)

I can make my USB a Xbox HDD. No issues with GTA V, Minecraft, Dead Rising 2 Case Zero/Case West, Saints Row, Sleeping Dogs or Charlie Murder.

I can copy over all of my files to my USB. No issues there.

So really, why is it HDD only? To stop piracy?

Stupid idea.

Not everyone has enough money to go and buy a 250GB Xbox HDD.

So I've played about 4 hours of it now, and I am blown away. It's very different from what I was expecting, and I was worried that the story was going to be left behind for gameplay, but I really don't feel that's the case.

As a beta I really do rate it, and it's given me a reason to buy the game.

The only faults (which I hope will be gone by release) it has signed me out of the actual game a good few times. The good thing about it is it saves your progress exactly where you left it, so it's not a major factor, just a bit annoying.

Then just as I went back to the tower it froze my ps3 completely, which was a bit crap.

All in all though, this game is awesome.

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

@TheNathanNS

How can you say a game's not worth it if you haven't even played it?

Only because it doesn't work for you equals no one else should bother with it?

Come on now.

To everyone that has actually played the beta: how is the game?

@Slade

I have played it.

Check my Xbox Recent games card.

However, as mentioned, black screen.

So that's what I'll judge it as. A 5GB black screen.

If, however it did load, then my opinion would change.

Until then, 5GB Black screen.

Opinion sticks until it loads.

So they opened up one mission on the moon for 2 hours yesterday.  Played it, and then explored the moon for a good hour+.  Literally went miles into the core of the moon - fighting monsters I'd never seen before.  It felt like I was discovering areas that were not meant for me to see - it was very ominous, and strange, but beautiful at the same time.  Neon colors mixed against cold white landscape, ill lit cavernous areas where you need a flashlight, hidden loot chests in the dark.  Eventually we got to a dead end, but we were so deep and lost that we couldn't find out way out.

@Lenne - sorry I didn't mean to hype it up.  Did you play with other people?  Honestly it's real bread & butter is co-op, but I'm surprised you couldn't get into the open world stuff.  Did you try the cosmodrome?  It's like a map the size of GTA O for people to do missions in.  Regardless, you've gotta spend some serious time with this game to really get the motion of the ocean.  Then again, I'd say my favorite genre in general is FPSRPG so it was easy for me to like this game (plus I've had it reserved for like 2 years)

@lead_psychopath - no problem man.  glad I could supply the link for y'all.  Glad you liked the game, though!

@ - ahhhh yes I get your point now.  Was a little confused before.  I completely agree that the reason it is HDD only is because of modders.  Destiny is not even available for PC in any form (even when retail comes out), so I think they were probably wary of people downloading it to a thumbstick, uploading it to the PC and seeing what they can mess with.  I'm sure you know this, but any games that you have downloaded in the past will always be accessible through your Account>Download History.  There are several arcade games and whatnot that I've downloaded in the past, clear to make space, and then when I want them again I just re-download.

@Naitrax - yes indeed, like Borderlands x Halo.  I've got a hand cannon, auto rifle, sniper rifle, shotgun, and rocket launcher all maxed at 62 with their accompaning attributes.  Did you know that if you turn in enough encrypted documents and what not to the Decrypter guy - that you can unlock CRAZY guns/gear even in the beta?  Once you achieve Cryptarch Level 5 (so hard to get BTW, I'm at like Level 2 and have been trying).  Check this out.

Oh and they have not made an official statement regarding if your progress will transfer to the retail release or not.  They basically said that "if we don't change anything significant, then we aren't going to rule it out".

@TheNathanNS - you, as a computer engineer(?), out of ALL people should know that it is not stupid to prevent piracy and modding.  The correct time for modding is when a developer allows it, encouraging the community - and hell maybe Bungie will.  I know that you are Mr. Modder but you must be able to see the logical reasoning in allowing it to be HDD only.  Think of the multiplayer - if someone was able to come up with a "wall hack" or something for the retail release.  Yes not everyone can afford the 250gb HDD, but last I checked - I'm pretty sure the game wasn't 250gb big itself.  Everyone may not be able to have a huge HDD, but everyone IS able to remove previously downloaded items from their HDD in an effort to make space.  If you don't want to do that, then don't complain.

Second, I know you are just being cheeky - but you truly have not played the game.  If I was to use your reasoning for, oh lets say, GTA Online... then I never would have made the effort to power through the tutorial glitch and enjoy 100's of hours with friends.  If I brushed it off as simply a blurred city scape shot - you'd be like "no no, GRILL there is so much you can do.  I know it's being lame right now, but trust me you'll forget all about it when it starts working."  I do feel your pain though, you've downloaded it twice and no solution.  Honestly sounds like a cache problem to me, but I'm guessing you've already tried clearing your cache?

@TheNathanNS - you, as a computer engineer(?), out of ALL people should know that it is not stupid to prevent piracy and modding.  The correct time for modding is when a developer allows it, encouraging the community - and hell maybe Bungie will.  I know that you are Mr. Modder but you must be able to see the logical reasoning in allowing it to be HDD only.  Think of the multiplayer - if someone was able to come up with a "wall hack" or something for the retail release.  Yes not everyone can afford the 250gb HDD, but last I checked - I'm pretty sure the game wasn't 250gb big itself.  Everyone may not be able to have a huge HDD, but everyone IS able to remove previously downloaded items from their HDD in an effort to make space.  If you don't want to do that, then don't complain.

Second, I know you are just being cheeky - but you truly have not played the game.  If I was to use your reasoning for, oh lets say, GTA Online... then I never would have made the effort to power through the tutorial glitch and enjoy 100's of hours with friends.  If I brushed it off as simply a blurred city scape shot - you'd be like "no no, GRILL there is so much you can do.  I know it's being lame right now, but trust me you'll forget all about it when it starts working."  I do feel your pain though, you've downloaded it twice and no solution.  Honestly sounds like a cache problem to me, but I'm guessing you've already tried clearing your cache?

@GRILL

I never said it was stupid to prevent piracy/modding. Anti piracy methods have existed in many games. From Earthbound to Serious Sam. Some games delete your saves for it. Others won't let you play at all.

Plus, Destiny is new. It'd take a ages for someone to make some kind of mod menu. Plus it's a beta. A limited beta at that. Who'd spend time to make a mod menu for a limited beta?

If someone did, I'm sure on the devs would be able to find a way to block it. Like R* did with the DNS and Tunable.json exploits.

I cannot think of a company that incourages modding online. I know Valve encourage modding, hell they even released their Source Film maker free of charge .

But I don't think they'd be too happy with someone using explosive bullets or and having god mode on Team Fortress 2.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but everything purchased on Xbox is assigned to your Gamertag. So, if I was to take my HDD and plug it into a friends Xbox, they won't be able to use my Minecraft maps, Dead Rising 2 DLC or any of my game saves unless I signed in on my profile.  

I have a 50GB HDD not big because I don't download all DLC for every game I own.

I did remove Saints Row The Third and Sleeping Dogs to make room for Destiny.

11GB Left. I also know if you have insuffient space, the item will not download. 

I know this first hand whe Dead Rising 2 was free with Games with Gold.

Yeah, I am being cheeky because my expierence with the game is much different than everyone elses. So to me the game is a 5GB black screen. :P

As said to other people, if it actually loaded or had a loading screen at least, my opinion would change for sure.

Also, tried everything.

Tried using a USB, clearing cache, tried redownloading it, nothing worked. At all.

No idea whats wrong. So I can successfully add Destiny to my list of "Things that everyone hypes over but I just don't get" for the time being.

This is the best game I've played in a while. Like, I thought it'd be a "meh" game, but it's truly mind-blowing.

The controls are so smooth, they just feel natural. 

I like how it shows enemies' health.

It has feels of Jak and Daxter, Halo, Call of Duty, Star Wars, Skyrim, most MMO's, and it's own feel combined. Kinda reminds of that Disney movie Treasure Island as well.

I am definitely gonna get this game when I get my One for Christmas, but I'll also get it before then for 360 so I can enjoy it before then.

I'm not too far into the game, but I really like it. I hope I get to keep my character, I really liked designing him.

He's, I think a hunter, whichever one is in the hooded outfit. He's also I think an EVO.

Anyways, if anyone wants to play, just add me!

well, asides from playing Titanfall - that was the most fun I've had on my Xbox One since I bought it.

I'm quite stoked for Destiny - but honestly, there is such a great list of games coming out that it's hard to even concentrate on getting hyped for just one.

@lead_psychopath I'm not sure about DLC, but I would guess that it would be exclusive to the console you buy it for.  For example, I own a 360 and a One.  If I look at my download history for the 360, I won't see any One items.

That being said, the game progress seamlessly transferred from the One beta to the 360 beta with no effort from me - so I wouldn't rule out the ability to transfer DLC between applicable consoles.  Regardless, if you have a PS4 - go for the PS4 version.  The graphics will be better, and overall the experience on new gen is better then last gen (last gen seems to have more load times for items in your backpack, and I noticed some significant frame rate loss in the Tower)

So now that it's over, I'll say that I enjoyed it. I was pretty busy this week, so I only got to play about 4 hours total or so, enough to reach level 8 and finish the missions. The story is pretty interesting, the scenery is great, and I enjoyed the system of the Tower as a home base, and then using your jump ship to play different missions. I didn't have a chance to play with any friends, but the co-op missions were pretty fun with randoms, so I can see party play being strong for this game. The boss battles were good from a gameplay standpoint, but the bosses weren't very unique. Well, the spider tank was pretty crazy. A one-shot kill with his cannon? That was tough.

I thought the weapons and armor were a little stupid. It seemed like a lot of the same things but with different names. I imagine with enough time though, the armor separates itself with the different upgrade abilities each one has. I didn't like how scarce the heavy ammo was, and how easily acquired the other two types were. A little balance there would be nice. One thing that really threw me off about the controls was that if you tried to move and look at the same time, the look sensitivity would get reduced. I hated that. I kept trying to strafe around corners while looking and it was super slow. If you stand in one place though, the look sensitivity is normal. 

Overall, I hadn't planned on buying this game, and after the beta I'd say I'm right on the fence. Things start slowing down for me in September though, so by then I might have more time to kill. I hadn't planned on buying GTA either, and I ended up sinking probably 400+ hours into that game.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

3 more days! Very excited, will be picking it up first thing Tuesday morning and will be playing for 2 days before I go back to work. Been counting the days to this release, but I can truly say that Destiny will be my new favorite game for awhile... at least until Borderlands comes out ;)

Let the fall video game season commence!

3 more days! Very excited, will be picking it up first thing Tuesday morning and will be playing for 2 days before I go back to work. Been counting the days to this release, but I can truly say that Destiny will be my new favorite game for awhile... at least until Borderlands comes out ;)

Let the fall video game season commence!

Im definitely going to redbox it and try it out.  One of my buddies is all in on it, but his wife is also about to pop out a baby soon so i hate to just buy it and not know if anyone else i play with regularly will get it.  Hearing really good things though.

And im with you grill, im really pumped for the borderlands pre-sequal

Got this today. Firstly i'm not much of a gamer other than playing some zombies but must say the games pretty impressive. Since buying the PS4 it's done nothing but collect dust until now. Cant wait to play it again tobehonest, to me thats a big thing as most games purchased get a solid 10 minutes playtime before going back onto the shelf never to be played again.

Finally a game for the PS4 worth playing

Quick question, is it possible to increase my look sensitivity? Could'nt find an option for it.

Archived