No Man's Land: 1962-1968

Greetings folks!

Today I decided to play a game of Zombies on Moon, and of course ended up getting caught up thinking about the story. That Moon loading screen draws me in every time!

Anywho, I got about 30 seconds into my game before spotting this all too familiar image. I don't believe this has been discussed before, as the time of No Man's Land has remained a mystery. Until now. Sorry for the crappy pics guys, brains for anyone with some better ones!:

[center:199xa0ph]img0331zi.jpg

img0329hy.jpg

"Greetings From

Groom Lake

Nevada

Detachment 1, 1129th Division Special Activities Squadron"[/center:199xa0ph]

Detachment 1, 1129th Divison SAS was a group of Air Force pilots chosen to be the test pilots of new military aircrafts being researched and produced by the US government. These tests were done under complete secrecy at Groom Lake from 1962 to 1968. These 1129th Division SAS pilots were apart of a bigger project, titled Project OXCORT. Here is a summary of the program:

[tab:199xa0ph][/tab:199xa0ph]"In Summary; the OXCART Program lasted just over ten years, from its inception in 1957 through first flights in 1962 to termination in 1968. This CIA program was highly compartmentalized while at Groom Lake, the players consisting of CIA personnel (the customer), the Air Force 1129th Special Activities Squadron (support), and various CIA contractors for special project operations. The main objective of creating a reconnaissance aircraft of unprecedented speed, range, and altitude capability had been triumphantly achieved. Lockheed produced 15 OXCARTS, three YF-12A's and 31 SR-71's. The 49 supersonic aircraft had completed more than 7,300 flights, with 17,000 hours in the air. Over 2,400 hours had been above Mach 3. Five OXCART were lost in accidents; two pilots were killed, and two had narrow escapes. In addition, two F-101 chase planes were lost with their Air Force pilots during OXCART testing phase."

groomoxcart01.jpg

We can now conclude that the events of No Man's Land (the outbreak at least) has occured sometime between 1962 and and 1968.

So why 1968? Well the article goes on to state another interesting thing:

[tab:199xa0ph][/tab:199xa0ph]"In a ceremony at Groom Lake on 26 June 1968, Vice Admiral Rufus L. Taylor, Deputy Director of Central Intelligence, presented the CIA Intelligence Star for valor to pilots Kenneth S. Collins, Ronald L. Layton, Francis J. Murray, Dennis B. Sullivan, and Mele Vojvodich for participation in the BLACK SHIELD operation. The posthumous award to pilot Jack W. Weeks was accepted by his widow. The United States Air Force Legion of Merit was presented to Colonel Slater and his Deputy, Colonel Maynard N. Amundson. The Air Force Outstanding Unit Award was presented to the members of the OXCART Detachment (1129th Special Activities Squadron, Detachment 1) and the USAF supporting units."

Why would they put up a banner in a classified government hangar that no one is suppose to see? Well they put it up for the ceremony to celebrate the success of the flight program. The ceremony was held on June 26, 1968.

The last part is of course theory as to the exact year or date. It's also possible that the banner was hung for a ceremony to celebrate the 1129th Division SAS pilot's 500th flight, occuring on October 3rd, 1966 .

500th.jpg

The only thing we can confirm from the information is that the initial outbreak occurs sometime from 1962-1968. When we actually visit during the Moon map is still questionable. There's nothing saying it couldn't have occured 40 or so years later, and the zombies are still there (and still dressed in their 60's uniform when we visit. Whether the zombies would just survive there for 40 years is questionable too, but I'd doubt Treyarch we get that far into it. It's really hard to say without a full confirmation.

There's also evidence to support the theory that it takes place in the 60s as well.

• The clothings match that of the zombies.[/*:m:199xa0ph]
  • The intial outbreaks might explain why the NML zombies just keep coming out. You're getting there right when the outbreak begins. You have an entire base of zombies coming after you. The siren's are going off because the base has been overrun. [/*:m:199xa0ph]
  • The timeframe may be before or after the events of Five, occuring in 1963. First the Pentagon comes under attack then Area 51, or the other way as well.[/*:m:199xa0ph]

Shooter

http://area51specialprojects.com/groomlake.html

http://roadrunnersinternationale.com/1129thsas.html

http://www.dreamlandresort.com/

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

Fantastic job Shooter, incredible work. I had always thought that the banner was from the MP map and not No Man's Land, but I was mistaken it seems. [brains] to you, and now we are that much closer to figuring it all out.

Hm. That's interesting, but Rissole's thread suggests otherwise. As it stands, the possible window, 1960-future, is pretty broad. His thread suggests it be narrowed to the future. This one, well, you know. But they can't both be right, and they both seem to have evidence.

So I was just wondering what your thoughts on this were. What do you have to say about the formations on the Earth as seen from space in conflict with this thread? Do you think that they are merely a mistake on Treyarch's part?

Hm. That's interesting, but Rissole's thread suggests otherwise. As it stands, the possible window, 1960-future, is pretty broad. His thread suggests it be narrowed to the future. This one, well, you know. But they can't both be right, and they both seem to have evidence.

So I was just wondering what your thoughts on this were. What do you have to say about the formations on the Earth as seen from space in conflict with this thread? Do you think that they are merely a mistake on Treyarch's part?

I'm glad you mentioned this MMX.

The only thing we can confirm from the information is that the initial outbreak occurs sometime from 1957-1968. When we actually visit during the Moon map is still questionable. There's nothing saying it couldn't have occured 40 or so years later, and the zombies are still there (and still dressed in their 60's uniform when we visit). Whether the zombies would just survive there for 40 years is questionable too, but I'd doubt Treyarch we get that far into it. It's really hard to say without a full confirmation.

There's also evidence to support the theory that it takes place in the 60s as well.

• The clothings match that of the zombies. [/*:m:3s6lwz4o]
  • The intial outbreaks might explain why the NML zombies just keep coming out. You're getting there right when the outbreak begins. You have an entire base of zombies coming after you. The siren's are going off because the base has been overrun. [/*:m:3s6lwz4o]
  • The timeframe may be before or after the events of Five, occuring in 1963. First the Pentagon comes under attack, then Area 51.[/*:m:3s6lwz4o]

I'm leaning more towards the 60s right now, but I'm still unsure about it. Both are very possible.

As for the Earth formations, that's another story in itself. I plan in commenting on the thread in a bit.

Is there any way we know for sure that we're not traveling forward in time when we teleport to Moon?

Your reasoning seems sound. Although I can't imagine No Man's Land being decades old. The sirens, the Teleporter, the hangar... it all just looks... new. And functioning. And not rusty.

Although I'm pretty sure we're not going forward in time to Moon after No Man's Land. After all, when you blow the Earth up, you can tell the difference when you go back to No Man's Land. Plus, if they just time traveled every single jump, what are the odds of them going back to the same time every single time?

• Administrators

I'd change it from 1957-1968 to 1960-1968 because the sign in the main play area says that there is some sort of decree, and it has the date 1960 on it. I think it would have been updated by then, but still it's at least 1960, not 1957

I'd change it from 1957-1968 to 1960-1968 because the sign in the main play area says that there is some sort of decree, and it has the date 1960 on it. I think it would have been updated by then, but still it's at least 1960, not 1957

Sweet, I'm glad you said this Tac. I was just reading a bit more about it from one of the pilot's journals, and it appears that specific division of pilots didn't even actually arrive until late 1962 at the earliest, so that narrows it down to a timeframe of 1962 to 1968. ;)

Your reasoning seems sound. Although I can't imagine No Man's Land being decades old. The sirens, the Teleporter, the hangar... it all just looks... new. And functioning. And not rusty.

Although I'm pretty sure we're not going forward in time to Moon after No Man's Land. After all, when you blow the Earth up, you can tell the difference when you go back to No Man's Land. Plus, if they just time traveled every single jump, what are the odds of them going back to the same time every single time?

I agree, it all seems to point that it is indeed in the 60's when we visit No Man's Land. The sirens and clothes seem to be pretty indicators for me.

Also, you make great points about the time travel during teleportation. Now that I think about it I don't see why they'd want it to travel through time. It appears they we're only using it as a way to get to Moon.

Oh, and you're right. I'm sure Richtofen would've just screwed up the calculations a bit as usual.

Good job, this banner is also in the MP map Hangar 18.

I have been saying that the zombies have old 60's MP uniforms.

But now this info backs it up that the outbreak occurred during those times.

But we really don't know when the rockets hit and where they hit and so on.

But Black Ops II will answer that. As we fight against 935 remains with Tank, Nikolai, Takeo and Samantha.

If those zombies were 40 years old, they would probably more closely resemble the zombies in Cotd and Shangri-La where the zombies appeared to be dormant for years. The zombies in Cotd have decayed significantly due to the fact that they were there since the 1940s, some even missing minor body parts upon spawning. And the ones in Shang have torn up and ragged looking clothing, they also appear to be skinnier than the zombies in all the other maps. The zombies in NML still have relatively clean uniforms (clean for a zombie anyway).

I believe this map absolutely takes place in the 60s.

• Administrators

Guys, doesn't the fact that the ENTIRE game takes place between 1962 and 1968 maybe tell you all that, but in about 2 seconds???

Actually no, because Call of the Dead and even possibly Shangri-La take place in 2011 or even later, so technically not all of the game so therefore we wouldn't get that impression.

• Administrators

True that COTD is 2011, the rest of the maps are, seeing that COTD is more of a placeholder than a REAL zombie installment.

I would venture to disagree, CoTD introduced most aspects of the Vril-ya that most people had never looked into. It may not be played with the same characters, but I do think it holds just as much weight.

True that COTD is 2011, the rest of the maps are, seeing that COTD is more of a placeholder than a REAL zombie installment.

I would venture to disagree, CoTD introduced most aspects of the Vril-ya that most people had never looked into. It may not be played with the same characters, but I do think it holds just as much weight.

Don't forget the fact that it may in fact be Eagle's Nest, where Richtofen experimented on our heroes and secretly built up supplies to construct Griffin Station.

Don't forget the fact that it may in fact be Eagle's Nest, where Richtofen experimented on our heroes and secretly built up supplies to construct Griffin Station.

Yup, there's mulitple reasons why CotD is very significant to the storyline. The celebrity cast is meant to entertain and draw in a crowd sure, but the hidden story is still there.

As far as "all of zombies being in the 60's" goes: SNN, Der Riese, Kino, and Shangri -La's date have never been confirmed. SNN and Der Riese presumably happened in the mid 40's, Shangri-La possibly in 2011-2012.

Ok, I looked into it and i agree, Cotd is signifigant. However, i still belive that Shangri-la is the '60s because when you start the Cotd easter egg Richtofen says, "We must have gone too far into the future". Then, at the end, You send them to paradise, presumably back to 1960s.

Ok, I looked into it and i agree, Cotd is signifigant. However, i still belive that Shangri-la is the '60s because when you start the Cotd easter egg Richtofen says, "We must have gone too far into the future". Then, at the end, You send them to paradise, presumably back to 1960s.

That would just be a pretty big presumption to make to think they would go back in time to Shangri-La. There's no reason why they would go back in time to go to Shangri-La. There's no sort of evidence to show that they would need to.

Plus the model of digital voice recorders that Gary and Brock left behind are dated somewhere in the 2000s, and we traveled there after them. I think it's safer to assume it was sometime between 2000-2012.

• Administrators

That would just be a pretty big presumption to make to think they would go back in time to Shangri-La. There's no reason why they would go back in time to go to Shangri-La. There's no sort of evidence to show that they would need to.

Plus the model of digital voice recorders that Gary and Brock left behind are dated somewhere in the 2000s, and we traveled there after them. I think it's safer to assume it was sometime between 2000-2012.

Precisely. I mean it is possible we went back in time to maybe 2000, but not to the 1960's I don't think. I mean there might be something we are missing on the map that might denote the time-frame, but I sure haven't found it yet.