Novorossiysk-Rebirth Island Connection

Guest MexicanIlluminati

Guest MexicanIlluminati

Heres a connection I made in the campaign mission "Rebirth"

At the very beginning of the mission, Reznov will tell you to kill a man with a hatchet. Right after you do so, look up. The ship on your right is called the "Novorossiysk".

I did some research on this word and came up with two possible explanations for the name of this ship.

Possibility #1)

There was a Soviet Aircraft Carrier named the Novorossiysk, here it is:

Novorossijsk_Kiev-class_1986.jpg

This could make sense if it wasn't for the fact that the Novorossiysk was built in 1975, and active from 1982 to 1993. It wasn't around at the time of the Rebirth mission, and after much searching throughout the internet I believe it is safe to assume that there were no Soviet ships by that name in the timeframe of the Rebirth Mission. Also, the ship in the Mission looks nothing like an aircraft carrier.

Possibility #2) There is also a Port city by the name of Novorossiysk, located in Russia. It is Russia's main port on the coast of the Black Sea. Here it is on the Northeastern coast:

Black_Sea_map.jpg

Given this information the obvious conclusion to come to is that the ship came from this Port City to Rebirth Island (which is located in the Aral sea) with whatever precious cargo it held. There is one problem with this idea:

Here is a map with both the Aral and Black seas on it.

C31B76DBA67C420099C4A26243D38823.gif

The Aral sea near the top right and the Black sea to its left. Notice anything? There are no waterways connecting the two bodies of water. I understand this picture only shows the large waterways but I have looked through countless maps and I can't find any that connect the two bodies of water.

Here are a few more maps for you to reference:

map_of_eurasia.jpg

centralasia_political.jpg

(Black sea on top left)

russian_federation.gif

So what do you think? Is this just a bunch of meaningless information? Is there something behind this? Or did Treyarch just need a Russian-sounding name?

Just a connection I made.

Also, fun fact of the day: "Rusalka" is a Slavic word for mermaid-like demons, like we see in movies like Pirates of the Carribean, and Greek epic poems like the Odyssey. :D

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm. Based on the fact that it is Black Ops I will just assume that they were using the ship before it was publicly announced as performable, if that makes sense. But my idea would be that it didn't come directly from the port city. It may have been there a while back, but I think that they may have transported the ship there. Why? I have no damn clue, maybe because they wanted to be sure that THAT ship was delivering the cargo. I don't want to say it is useless information, but things aren't adding up like they should.

Guest MexicanIlluminati

Hmm. Based on the fact that it is Black Ops I will just assume that they were using the ship before it was publicly announced as performable, if that makes sense. But my idea would be that it didn't come directly from the port city. It may have been there a while back, but I think that they may have transported the ship there. Why? I have no damn clue, maybe because they wanted to be sure that THAT ship was delivering the cargo. I don't want to say it is useless information, but things aren't adding up like they should.

As for it being used before it was publicly announced to be in use: I had thought of that but it was built in 1975, and Rebirth takes place in '68. It would have actually had to have been built 7 years earlier, I kinda find this unlikely. :/ It would be hard to keep a full blown aircraft carrier secret from the public for 7 years no?

And as for the second part of your post, I guess that could be possible. But why would Treyarch want us to know this??

As for it being used before it was publicly announced to be in use: I had thought of that but it was built in 1975, and Rebirth takes place in '68. It would have actually had to have been built 7 years earlier, I kinda find this unlikely. :/ It would be hard to keep a full blown aircraft carrier secret from the public for 7 years no?

And as for the second part of your post, I guess that could be possible. But why would Treyarch want us to know this??

I agree in it being unlikely, the idea of that is probably not how it went down, but I can't think of damn way that the boat would have gotten there without it being transported. I mean maybe it wasn't going in a straight line from A to B, perhaps it went around a huge land mass and worked its way up that way?

Guest MexicanIlluminati

Yeah but then we would have to ask the question: Why? I used to think things like this weren't relevant and it was just Treyarch needing a Russian-sounding name, but James C. Burns keeps on talking about how "every single pixel" Treyarch puts in is relevant. :?

Yeah but then we would have to ask the question: Why? I used to think things like this weren't relevant and it was just Treyarch needing a Russian-sounding name, but James C. Burns keeps on talking about how "every single pixel" Treyarch puts in is relevant. :?

That is true. How about we ask him? I mean he does those Rapid Response videos and stuff

Guest MexicanIlluminati

Ask him about the Novorossisyk? Huh.... I hadn't thought about that. But its a good idea! How would we go about doing that? I assume there's a better way than leaving a youtube comment and hoping it gets thumbs ups :lol:

Ask him about the Novorossisyk? Huh.... I hadn't thought about that. But its a good idea! How would we go about doing that? I assume there's a better way than leaving a youtube comment and hoping it gets thumbs ups :lol:

Haha I asked some people who are closer to him and they said that as of last night he said he is still taking questions and we need to PM him on YouTube. Since this is your thread, how would you like to ask the question? Either I can send the PM or you can, up to you.

Guest MexicanIlluminati

Uhhh I feel like you would word the question better. Why don't you do it? I kind of feel like we're theorizing too much into this and either its really nothing or it'll be something too small for him to make a whole video on it. But all the same, It couldn't hurt to ask

Ok, I sent the message, it looks like this basically.

In the Rebirth Island mission, Reznov tells you to kill the man with a hatchet in the beginning. If you look up, you can see a ship called the Novorossiysk. There was an aircraft carrier with the name of that ship that was built in 1975, 7 years after Rebirth.

In Russia, there is a port city off the coast of the Black Sea named Novorossiysk, so it is possible to assume the ship came from that port. Now, Rebirth is in the Aral Sea and that has absolutely no water connecting it and that port.

I understand that we may be overanalyzing this or looking too far into it, or that it may not be a large enough issue to make a video over, but I would really appreciate an answer on whether the name of the ship has significance or if they just chose a Russian ship and went with it.

Thank you for your time and I hope to hear back from you!

Is that ok?