The truth about Shangri-La ANDO radios.

Guest Matuzz

Guest Matuzz

7766E9643F4D56753C36737624ADDC97CFB98367

Well after a lot of research I have find the origins of the ANDO.

People have been wrong about it as common conception was that the radio was manufactured by Ando Media (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ando_Media) that was founded in 2004. Giving Brock's and Gary's expedition timeline after 2004. But this is WRONG.

The Ando radios are manufactured by FUJIX that is owned by Fujifilm, know mostly about filmography but they do develop Magnetic media, including audiotape, videotape, and floppy disks. Optical media, such as DVDs and CDs, mostly produced by Ritek and Taiyo Yuden; some by Philips.

Now behold FUJIX ANDO recorders:

ac6-707a.jpgar5-314-1.jpg?_ex=240x240

Now I'm not saying it couldn't take place in 2004 because the recorder look pretty modern but this will stop the misconception about the origins of the recorder in Shangri-La and take us little bit closer to the finding of Shangri-La timeline!

Guest MurderMachineX

Cool. I've been telling people that Ando Media is a software company. I just figured the ANDO radio was made up. Didn't think it was real. Goob job. I still think that this furthers the likelihood that Shangri-La takes place in the 1990's because the model of the Radio fits the decade.

Guest Shooter

This is great stuff Matuzz. [brains]

I'm glad we're still trying to solve this mystery of when exactly Shangri La occured. The only thing that might give us a possible idea are the Ando radios.

If we look at the picture closely we can notice a few things:

1. It is a Digital Recorder. The name on the bottom of the device says ANDO DiRecorder. We can assume Di is referring to digital. This means, like Murder already stated, that Shangri La does indeed take place sometime after 1990.

2. This is a MODERN digital recorder. Note the 3 numbers just below the screen. The first button says File. It's hard to tell what the others say, but it appears this digital recorder has selectable file playback. Also note the audio pickup antenna looking things at the top. These don't appear in voice recorders from the 90's.

VersaCorder circa 2000

versacorder.jpg

Modern Digital Voice Recorders

unnamedk.jpg

The earliest I can find a voice recorder with similiar characteristics as the one above is a recorder from Sony from 2005. It looks like the voice recorder in Shangri La was produced sometime after 2000, and presumably around 2005.

http://www.videointerchange.com/audio_history.htm

http://www.pimall.com/nais/nl/audiohistory.html

BUT WAIT!

This doesn't exactly give us a timeline of when THE GANG was at Shangri La. Remember that when we initiate the Eclipse, we are brought to the past, when Brock and Gary are there and asking for help. We can assume Brock and Gary brought the radios, so we can also assume they were there in the mid 2000's.

So if we're going back to the past in the Eclipse, then the time that the gang is there is AFTER the mid 2000's.

I'm going with my original assumption that Shangri La takes place immediately after Call of the Dead, placing them both at 2011-2012.

Guest MurderMachineX

Perhaps for the 2000's thing. However, there's no reason to assume 2011. It could very well be 2007, or 2008, or 2009. There's no reason to make it right after Call of the Dead. There's no reason they have to occur chronologically: Ascension and Kino didn't.

Guest Shooter

Perhaps for the 2000's thing. However, there's no reason to assume 2011. It could very well be 2007, or 2008, or 2009. There's no reason to make it right after Call of the Dead. There's no reason they have to occur chronologically: Ascension and Kino didn't.

Yes, you are correct in your statement. That is why I stated the gang was there sometime after the mid 2000's.

My assumption is it takes places sometime around 2011-2012. And here's the simple reason why. It takes alot of the complications out of why Call of the Dead still exists in 2011-2012 and has not been affected by the blasts yet. Of course we could have travelled back in time a few years to say 2008 for SL, and then teleport forward another four years to the future to Griffin Station to blow up Earth. It just seems improbable to me to go back only a few years when he could have just stayed in 2011-2012 during SL with no reprocutions. See what I'm saying?

Just because Richtofen knows how to time travel doesn't necessarily mean they HAVE to time travel in each map after Kino. Teleporting may have been enough.

Guest MurderMachineX

Actually, I really don't follow what you're saying. There's no reason to time travel every map. But there's no reason not to. Richtofen has shown to be inept at picking the time, i.e. shooting too far into the future in Call of the Dead. He wanted to go to Shangri-La, but the time of his arrival might not have been important to him. So the time was just whenever and he happened to arrive when he did. Or perhaps there was a certain timeframe that he was shooting for.

Guest Shooter

Hmm, not sure if I can explain that any simpler.

Moon has to occur after 2011-2012 (CotD), otherwise CotD would not exist as it does.

You suggest Richtofen may have just punched in numbers as the exact time wasn't important to him. If that was the case, he would have just left the date a constant and teleported. Why do any calculations for a date if the date is not important.

So either there's a reason Richtofen didn't want to go to SL during 2011-2012 for a certain reason. Or he wanted to go to SL sometime between 2005-2010 for a certain reason. Since we have no sort of evidence to support either of those, it would be the most logical to assume he didn't change the time of the destination. Making sense?

And if you get into alternate dimensions and realities, then the dates are pretty much irrelevant.

Guest MixMasterNut

7766E9643F4D56753C36737624ADDC97CFB98367

I'm having trouble tracking this ANDO DiRecorder down....

I'll admit that none of these digital recorders below are a perfect match. I only share them as an attempt to step in the right general direction towards figuring them out.

Zoom H4n Digital Portable Recorder

zoo_h4n.jpg

Tascam DR-40 Portable Digital 4-Track Recorder

tas_dr40.jpg

Sony PCMD50 Portable Linear PCM Recorder

375px-Sony_PCM-D50.jpg

- Mix

Guest Rissole25

I've always thought of Shangri-La to take place present time along with Call of the Dead and Moon. Though recently I've changed my thinking. I'm not sure what to think now.

Richtofen states upon arrival in CotD that the time circuits have been damaged, and they went to far into the future. It's all possible that he fixed them, and managed to go to the correct time he was looking for. Though we don't know though if he was only going to go the 'correct time' (the time Richtofen was originally wanting to go too) in Call of the Dead, than go to another in Shangri-La.

It's a possibility, along with Shangri-La being present time. So I don't know which my pick is. Though they teleport directly to Shangri-La after Call of the Dead, so I'm more inclined to believe Shangri-La is in the present.

Guest Matuzz

The whole Moon stuff is bugging me.

Because we know 100% sure that the No Man's Land takes place in the exact same time as Moon. In the NML the MP uniforms look outdated, like they are from 50's-70's.

Then as CotD and Shangri-La were in the present time it means they were not effected by the blast or we would have paradox in our hands with retrieving the items to blow up earth in the past time.

Guest MurderMachineX

Ah I see. You're saying the odds are that it followed up, not going before 2011. But it is still possible that they went before 2011, even if you think it is remote, so I think the possibility shouldn't be excluded.

As for Moon. I think the uniform thing is such a conjectural issue. There really is no definitive evidencee for when Moon is. But it could very well be before 2011. It blows up the Earth, thus Call of the Dead never happened in that reality. We can have our theories as we wish, but so can Treyarch, and that could very well be the one they chose.

I think that it is very improbable to think that after Call of the Dead, they would time-travel to anywhere. It is possible, but I don't see the reason they would need to. I believe, personally, that Shangri-La is directly after Call of the Dead, and Moon follows that, so they are all in "present time", so to speak.

As for the Call of the Dead Paradox... It does not exist. When a person time-travels, they enter a new dimension or reality, so therefore if Moon is before Call of the Dead, that is perfectly fine because they are in a new dimension that would leave the rest unscathed.

I remember when Shangri-La was coming out and everyone was very concerned with the clothing of the characters. Richtofen didn't have the same color hat, his scratch wasn't there, Takeo had a mustache, Nikolai's clothes were clean, etc., and everyone made predictions about when it would be, trying to fit it in between maps to make it fit based on the clothing. Now we have learned it didn't happen that way at all. I;m not saying the same thing is for sure true with Moon and the No Man's Land outfits, but I am inclined to believe they are similar situations.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest xXdoomieXx

Do we know that the team is going back in time? Is it possible that they are only leap frogging forward in time?

As for the radios, 3arch probably modeled the recorders after modern ones, and simply fictionalized the one in the game so that they would infringe on any trademarks. Trying to find the exact ANDO DIrecorder is probably futile.

Do we know that the team is going back in time? Is it possible that they are only leap frogging forward in time?

As for the radios, 3arch probably modeled the recorders after modern ones, and simply fictionalized the one in the game so that they would infringe on any trademarks. Trying to find the exact ANDO DIrecorder is probably futile.

Well if they were trying to fictionalize it, they wouldn't have used the name ANDO because that is a trademark company.

Guest MexicanIlluminati

I remember when Shangri-La was coming out and everyone was very concerned with the clothing of the characters. Richtofen didn't have the same color hat, his scratch wasn't there, Takeo had a mustache, Nikolai's clothes were clean, etc., and everyone made predictions about when it would be, trying to fit it in between maps to make it fit based on the clothing. Now we have learned it didn't happen that way at all. I;m not saying the same thing is for sure true with Moon and the No Man's Land outfits, but I am inclined to believe they are similar situations.

I can account for Nikolai's clean clothes. I believe there is a quote where Nikolai says, "I just bathed for first time". So his clothes are clean because he just bathed and he likely also cleaned his clothes as well.

Also he says "I just got these boots". Maybe Treyarch is subtly trying to hint that somehow the group was able to get Nikolai a new outfit, and possibly other things? :?

Guest Shooter

I can account for Nikolai's clean clothes. I believe there is a quote where Nikolai says, "I just bathed for first time". So his clothes are clean because he just bathed and he likely also cleaned his clothes as well.

Also he says "I just got these boots". Maybe Treyarch is subtly trying to hint that somehow the group was able to get Nikolai a new outfit, and possibly other things? :?

That's interesting, do you happen to remember what map it was on? Perhaps it was when you were going through some water? I could see dirty ol' Niko saying something like that. He also as a quote from Shangri La that would seem to contradict this: “I have been wearing same pair of underwear two years now. Oh and power’s out.” And the crew does seem to make fun of his smelly ass, so I'm not quite sure if the quote can explain the new clothes.

Good stuff though MexicanIlluminati keep it up! It's always nice to see people that are into the story.

BTW Tac, I totally remember a thread like that. We had like half a page of dicussion and pictures about their clothing and scars. All of which seems pretty irrelevant now. :lol: .

TIME IS IRRELEVANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you're following the timeline of our crew, then yeah it's irrelevant. But if you're trying to discover what the date was at each location that we visited, then time is very relevant.

All depends on what you're looking at.

That's interesting, do you happen to remember what map it was on? Perhaps it was when you were going through some water? I could see dirty ol' Niko saying something like that. He also as a quote from Shangri La that would seem to contradict this: “I have been wearing same pair of underwear two years now. Oh and power’s out.” And the crew does seem to make fun of his smelly ass, so I'm not quite sure if the quote can explain the new clothes.

I'm thinking that he had just found the boots or something inside the closet at Call of the Dead, since I mean, it's a closet. And I remember hearing that quote somewhere, I think you are right in saying it was when he goes through the water.

BTW Tac, I totally remember a thread like that. We had like half a page of dicussion and pictures about their clothing and scars. All of which seems pretty irrelevant now. :lol: .

Haha exactly, I think I was one of the people trying to fit it in too :P

Guest xXdoomieXx

Well if they were trying to fictionalize it, they wouldn't have used the name ANDO because that is a trademark company.

Actually, they could. You see ANDO is a name. Like Jerry, or Smith. Now you can trade mark say, something like "Ben and Jerry's" or "ANDO multimedia." But you couldn't trademark Ben, or Jerry, or Ando.

Just a little FYI

Ando is the name of Hiro's sidekick from the TV series "Heroes"

(I always thought the explorer's side kick carried the recorder, hence the name)

Feel free to disagree, but I really think looking for an ANDO digital recorder in the real world is a red herring.

Guest MexicanIlluminati

Good stuff though MexicanIlluminati keep it up! It's always nice to see people that are into the story.

The quotes were from Shangri-La; the one about bathing for the first time was when he kills a zombie that had just hit him, the one about the boots was when a crawler hit him.

As for his clothes, I never said he CHANGED his clothes but maybe he just found some river (or if you REALLY wanna theorize, a city or civilization of some sort) and bathed and washed his clothes, not got new ones.

As for anyone making fun of his smell after this, maybe its just the gang being jerks to him. Or, knowing Nikolai, I wouldn't be suprised if he had regained his stench by then :lol:

So what do you all think about the idea of Shangri-La being June 22, 2009 for when they teleport back during the Eclipse? It was the only Eclipse over India in the 21st Century, which is vital due to these radios based on the time period we have kind of narrowed it down to.

Guest MexicanIlluminati

So what do you all think about the idea of Shangri-La being June 22, 2009 for when they teleport back during the Eclipse? It was the only Eclipse over India in the 21st Century, which is vital due to these radios based on the time period we have kind of narrowed it down to.

That sounds good to me! I think you should go ahead and put it in your Zombie map timeframe thread.

That was a pretty big breakthrough, excuse me I need to go give brains to the guy who brought that up!

That sounds good to me! I think you should go ahead and put it in your Zombie map timeframe thread.

That was a pretty big breakthrough, excuse me I need to go give brains to the guy who brought that up!

Yup, here is the original post. I had heard it before, but he brought it back to light.

After Der Riese and my explanation of that Eclipse, I can't tell how much to take it seriously. But this is not the thread, we can continue this in my time thread.