Symbolism of the Aether and the Grand Scheme?

Guest Ehjookayted

Guest Ehjookayted

Greetings all, it is I, Ehjookayted AKA EyeCntSpel, bringing you a question that I have long pondered. We all know Richtofen switched places with Samantha Maxis in Aether, which is where Samantha originally teleported. But what exactly is Aether?

How does it relate to its diametric opposite, the Nether? The plane, in between- is that the Tether- also known as Terra, also known as Earth? What themes does zombies illustrate? Because, as we all know, good stories, classical or modern, have underlying themes, symbols and messages they want us to grasp. Zombies is no different.

In classical mythology, Plato called the Aether "that which God used to delineate the universe." Rather, the Aether is the fifth of the elements, the soul of the universe, by its literal interpretation.

In addition, some consider, in Greek myths, Aether to be the level of air that the gods breathed. It is pure and divine. Yet, in zombies, it appears to be a symbol of power and corruption of innocence, in the case of Samantha.

Religiously, it represents the higher plan, whoever inhabits the Aether controls the zombies. Samantha's presence there can be assigned to a factor we all know too well, the factor of fate.

Richtofen and his machines, his creations, his technological advances, can be considered to the representation of science itself.

Therefore, can we equate Richtofen, the symbol of science and progress for the sake of progress, to a man trying to fuse science and religion together? If the Aether truly represents religion, and we remember that Richtofen does achieve his goal, is the zombies storyline filled with an underlying current of a global message? I think so. The message is this: science leads to religion, an understanding of it and eventually, science and religion merge into an indistinguishable fusion of frost and flame, man and God.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest BlindBusDrivr

Great post Eye.

You are right about combining science and religion.

Look at the MPD, I believe it was used to banish away Satan and his followers.

My spin- Lucifer was one of the Vril ya, but he wanted all the power of the Vril for himself. They took him and his followers and used the MPD to banish them to Aether for eternity. Aether = Hell.

This is a perfect blend of religion turning to science and vice versa.

You should also read MixMasterNut's post with the Trinity and Oppenheimer and alchemy?

Guest Kasimir Device

Wow this is an excellent article [brains] for you :) . I have had a brief look up of the word Aether and noticed it was also the name of Zeus' defensive wall which protects the rest of the cosmos from Tartarus. When you think of it the controlling the zombies could have prevented this outbreak however the person that was in the MPD Sam had vengeful motives which result in the Zombie attacks maybes if the person contained in the MPD wished to preserve life obviously none of this would have happened.

Guest MyLittleHellhound

Great post Eye. [brains] for you, and I really don't know what else to tell you because above everyone else has said it for me :)

keep it up!

EDIT:Have to spread brains first lulz

Guest ChopperNator

This reminds me of what I was thinking about when I made this topic -

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=19127

It's all about stories. Life is just a collection of stories, they are all that truly remain of you when dead. Passed down through your children, grandchildren and great grandchildren to the generations that come below.

The key is deciding which stories you believe or disbelieve and then living accordingly. What stories are Treyarch telling us, where do they come from? To fully understand zombies I think you have to know their own inspiration.

Guest MixMasterNut

To the occultist, science and religion are two sides of the same coin. They work together as one, rather than in conflict with one another.

I like your thinking and approach here, Eye [brains]

Guest darkjolteon

Another great post Eye :)

I'm pretty sure religion will be much more involved in the next installment of zombies. Whether it be hell, or whatever there is no denying how easily and effectively it could all be linked! Treyarch are very smart, no doubt we will be seeing a lot more development of the storyline in ways none of us could even imagine!

-Jolteon

Guest AlphaSnake

Aether the space between spaces. Another dimension if you will.

Very well thought out.

Event Horizon the film did this I believe.

In 2047, the rescue vessel Lewis and Clark is dispatched to answer a distress signal received from the Event Horizon, a starship that disappeared during its maiden voyage to Proxima Centauri seven years prior. Captain Miller (Laurence Fishburne) and his crew —Lieutenant Starck (Joely Richardson), pilot Smith (Sean Pertwee), Medical Technician Peters (Kathleen Quinlan), Engineer Ensign Justin (Jack Noseworthy), Rescue Technician Cooper (Richard T. Jones), and Trauma Doctor D.J. (Jason Isaacs) —are joined for the mission by the Event Horizon's designer Dr. William Weir (Sam Neill). Dr. Weir briefs the crew that the Event Horizon was built to test an experimental gravity drive which generates an artificial black hole to use the immense gravitational power to bridge two points in spacetime, greatly reducing travel time between astronomical distances.

Upon arriving at the ship's decaying orbit around Neptune and boarding the Event Horizon to search for survivors, the crew finds evidence of a massacre. During the search, the ship's gravity drive activates automatically. Justin is pulled into the resulting portal, returning in a catatonic state. He is later placed in stasis after a failed suicide attempt in apprehension over the events he witnessed during his crossover. The activation of the gravity drive causes a massive shockwave which critically damages the Lewis and Clark and forces the entire crew to board the Event Horizon. The crew then begins experiencing hallucinations of their fears and regrets: Miller sees a subordinate he was forced to abandon in a fire; Peters sees images of her son Denny with his legs covered in bloody lesions; and Dr. Weir, a widower, sees his wife Claire with missing eyes, urging him to join her. After deciphering a warning from a video log of the Event Horizon's crew going insane and mutilating each other, Miller and D.J. deduce that while the ship's gravity drive did successfully open a gateway in spacetime, it leapt outside the known universe and into another dimension, described later on by Dr. Weir as "a dimension of pure chaos, pure evil" (and implied to be Hell). The Event Horizon has since then returned with an evil presence and a life force possessing telekinetic abilities, tormenting its occupants with the aim of compelling them to return.

Miller decides to destroy the Event Horizon despite objections from Dr. Weir, who is seduced and eventually possessed by the evil presence and uses an explosive device from the Event Horizon to destroy the Lewis and Clark. Smith is killed in the explosion which also launches Cooper out of the ship and into space. Peters dies from a long fall after being lured into the engineering section by an apparition of her son. Dr. Weir kills D.J. by vivisecting him and corners Starck on the bridge. Miller tries to rescue Starck but is caught by Dr. Weir, who activates the ship's gravity drive, initiating a ten minute countdown after which the Event Horizon and its passengers will return to the other dimension. Cooper, having used his space suit's oxygen to propel him back to the ship, tries to contact those inside, and Dr. Weir retaliates by shooting out the bridge window. Dr. Weir is blown out into space by the ensuing decompression while Miller, Starck, and Cooper survive and manage to seal off the bridge area of the ship.

Miller then resolves to detonate the explosives installed on the Event Horizon to split the ship in two and use the forward section of the ship as a lifeboat. He is attacked by the ship's manifestation of a scarred Dr. Weir, who shows Miller horrifying visions of the Lewis and Clark's crew being tortured and mutilated once they return to Hell. Miller fights off the manifestation and manages to detonate the explosives, sacrificing himself so Justin, Cooper, and Starck can escape. The gravity drive activates, pulling the rear of the ship into a wormhole. Starck and Cooper join Justin in stasis and wait to be rescued.

72 days later, the Event Horizon is located by a rescue party, who discover the remaining crew still in stasis. Starck has a nightmare of the scarred Dr. Weir being one of the rescuers and is awakened in a distraught state by a rescue team. Cooper restrains Starck and one of the rescuers calls for a sedative as the doors to the stasis room ominously seem to close by themselves.

Combine this with William Cooper & Alex Collier.

Aether is another dimension in my eyes, I'd guess this Aether is where the Event Horizon & Sam went. A Hell dimension of pure chaos, but this might not be the only dimension which the MPD can take us to.

I guess to the primitive human most technology would be viewed as magic, thus leading to superstitions that eventually leads into organized religion.

The dark age saw this play out for 800 years, the concept of a period of intellectual darkness that occurred in Europe following the collapse of the Western Roman Empire which was quite advanced even in those times.

Those in control used this to their own advantage.

A perfect example of a scientifically aware leadership keeping the people in controlled religious darkness.

The Templars come to mind as one such group. They sought to use knowledge as a tool of enslavement. Only allowing their members to be in the light as they put it. Which is a luciferian doctrine.

The control of information is paramount to controlling the masses.

This is starting to sound familiar.

Dr. Maxis & Dr. Richtofen would fall into this catagory.

The Shangri-La temple is solid proof that Richtofen used his scientific knowledge to his own advantage, enslaving the people there & sacrificing them in his experiments. They probably believed that he was in fact a god.

The Illuminati are all about acquiring godhood over the masses, just google Transhumanism.

They are obsessed with attaining Godhood through technological means.

The word occult comes from the Latin word occultus (clandestine, hidden, secret), referring to "knowledge of the hidden".

Good thread mate.

Hope my reply make some sense. :lol:

Regards Alpha.

Guest Ehjookayted

Good replies, everyone! It's always interesting to see other points of view on this subject. Thanks for all the positive comments though!

• 1 month later...
Guest AlphaSnake

Haha, I'm back again.

I just googled Aether is a Hell dimension & CoDz came up at the top once again.

Just goes to show, if you want the best info on NZs, you have to come to CoDz. Yeah baby.

Regards Alpha. ;)