To make things "Harder" if you think you are "too Good"

Got some info on Bootcamp for the army. First day, you have to hold you're civilian pack over your head for 3 hours, so this got me thinking about practicing holding things over my head for long periods of time. I thought why not make this into a training excercise while I play zombies.... So I played Ascension... I got to 30.. Took an hour and 5 minutes...

I held my controller over my head the ENTIRE time! I did NOT stop for anything. Not to scratch an itch, not to use the bathroom.... And believe me when I say it is HARD. Not just hard on my shoulders, but hard in the game!

The first MINUTE was easy, just kinda painful. The next 10 were EXCRUCIATING! AFter that, my arms went numb and all I could feel was a tingly warmness. I started losing orientation and my thought process began to fade, but man was the game intense! I have never had that much trouble with Ascension before, and I was doing the very easy Flopper Train. You just lose all focuss. You can still operate pretty decently in the game, but you slip up, a LOT.

I believe this is a good way to add a little physical challenge to the game. I can barely even type this message right now, my shoulders are screaming so badly! But I am going to start playing every game like this (regardless of how stupid it may look) Every aspect of my life has been doubling as a workout lately.

Ohhh..... My arms are still shaking.....

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest MyLittleHellhound

Congrats troubled on making your full ascension game without dropping the controller :lol:

So did you get accepted into the Army yet? I know you sent you application on Monday.

Guest TroubledTurkey

I still have to take my physical. I am 100% positive I will pass that though.

Its a great shoulder workout though. This was really the only way I could figure out how to integrate Zombies into a workout (besides the stationary Bike But thats in my workout room, with my PS2, not my XBox)

Just thought some of you might wanna try it. Its just intense. (Please take no offense at this next comment) But most people who play video games a lot arent really "Workout" people, but some are, so I thought I'd share.

EDIT: I felt like I was gonna drop the controller a few times, but I didnt want it to slam into my head. My fingers started to fall asleep a little.

Guest TroubledTurkey

Ok, I just reread the posts I made, and I made this seems a LOT worse than it really is. I was really more trying to describe that "worked out" feeling. I mean, you are gonna feel pretty crappy after doing ANY single workout tactic for an hour straight without rest. But its an "accomplished" crappy feeling lol If that makes sense.

Guest Superhands

Very interesting must try this. I'm one for working out regularly as well as an avid gamer so this is right up my street :lol:

Ok, I just reread the posts I made, and I made this seems a LOT worse than it really is. I was really more trying to describe that "worked out" feeling. I mean, you are gonna feel pretty crappy after doing ANY single workout tactic for an hour straight without rest. But its an "accomplished" crappy feeling lol If that makes sense.

I'd say I feel really crappy during the workout, I feel great afterwards ;)

For guys who aren't really into working out and stuff, I'd just recommend making the game a bit more fast-and-furious by doing a speed run in a small area, for example the lobby or alley on Kino, MPL or spawn room on Shangri-La or Tunnel 11 on Moon.

Guest TroubledTurkey

I'd just recommend making the game a bit more fast-and-furious by doing a speed run in a small area, for example the lobby or alley on Kino, MPL or spawn room on Shangri-La or Tunnel 11 on Moon.

Thats how I usually play anyway. You just gave me an idea though. Trying that (Small area runs) alongside the shoulder workout.

The only reason it actually got hard is because you are trying to focuss on the game, while at the same time all you can think about is putting your arms down XD. I left a crawler a few times to use the Box during said game, but after using it a few times ya just start thinking "F it, I'm just gonna start the damn round already..."

Guest Zombieofthedead

.... I will never try this. I hate pain, and being numb doesn't sound fun to me.

I also hate working out, it's soooo boring, and I want instant results! In this case though, it really doesn't sound fun, especially when playing zombies. How on earth do you concentrate on the game that way?

Guest TroubledTurkey

Discipline.

If you dont like working out, you will never have fun working out. Its just how it is. Sometimes you can get "instant" results. Pushing yourself really hard gets you pumped (your muscles get "permaflexed" for a few hours. its what "Pumped" means) But you cant expect to increase muscle mass for atleast a few weeks. Muscle memory developes, giving an "illusion" of getting stronger, but it makes the results take a little longer.

Now Zombies is one of those things thats just "going through the motions" for me. I liked how it was harder to focuss while doing this, its a nice twist.

IF you want to try this, I would start at a "set round" time, not an entire game, unless you know how to motivate yourself. I was asking myself a few times "Why the hell am I doing this?" but I just cast the thought aside and replaced it with "Why the F not. Its not THAT bad."

And it wasnt MEANT to be fun. It was meant to be work, while doing something thats usually fun.

Guest TroubledTurkey

Sorry for the Double Post. Thought I would share my daily workout regimen (SP?)

-*Pushups: 100 a day. 10 sets of 10, or 5 sets of 20.

-*Sit ups: 200. 20 for every 10, or 40 for every 20 pushups.

-*Squat Thrusts: 50 a day. 5 for every 10 pushups.

-Pull Ups: I try to do 10 a day. I have no Pullup bar, so I only do this when I go to the Gym

-*Stationary Bike: 2 hours a day MINIMUM. More if I feel bored. I play PS2 while I do this. (Rayman Revolution FTW)

-*1 full hour of running a day.

-Currently itegrating Shoulder workouts for any time I play CoD Zombies.

-1 Hour of Gym time on Monday-Thursday

-*Arm Curls: 30 a day. 3 sets of 10. For arm muscle definition.

-Not part of a workout, but I allow myself 4 full Cigarettes a day. I use TarBlockers though (Filters that fit over regular Cig filters. Keeps Cigarettes from murdering my lungs.)

-*Calf Workouts: I dont walk anywhere unless I walk on my toes. I have beastly calfs. This has been so my entire life though. its habit now.

-*2 pitchers of Tea a day. Not important, but I love iced tea.

Anything with a "*" by it is something I do not let myself go to sleep without doing.

Just thought I would share.

Guest Zombieofthedead

I don't get it why people work out so much.... It's kinda a waste of life. I mean, I understand staying fit, losing weight, but it's not even worth it if you don't get to do what you love (combine that workout with work, you get VERY little time to do anything fun.)

You DID mention playing PS2 while doing the bike. Seems kinda hard to me still, guess I just suck with multi-tasking.

Guest TroubledTurkey

I don't get it why people work out so much.... It's kinda a waste of life. I mean, I understand staying fit, losing weight, but it's not even worth it if you don't get to do what you love (combine that workout with work, you get VERY little time to do anything fun.)

You DID mention playing PS2 while doing the bike. Seems kinda hard to me still, guess I just suck with multi-tasking.

I thought the exact same way when I was your age (15, right? Dont wanna give a lecture or nothing, I am just saying this) But after a while life just kinda smacks you in the face, and all the things that were fun before change. To me, nothing beats the accomplished feeling you get from a strenuous workout. Life is hard, and when people really start to come into their own it takes a lot of "doing hard things" to make all those hard parts of life just a little bit easier.

Fun is important, but as age goes up, Fun goes down. Its just how it is. I still do fun things (And after doing it for a long time, Working out has become fun) I used to loathe the thought of having to do a lot of work as I got older, but I came to accept it. There are ways to deal with it, create a balance. This is my way.

I started working out for the wrong reasons. I wanted to make the hard parts of life easier, so I wouldnt have to work as hard. But now my drive has never been stronger, and I enjoy the hard parts of life because they are not as bad as they seem in your head.

Ok, back to what the Topic was about: I tried this again, and like most things, it was not as hard the second time. PLayed Ascension, arms up, got to 30, Hour and 10 minutes this time (Spent more time Box nabbing). I like this workout. Its hard, but kinda worth it (I usually never work out my shoulders. My arms feel so light now lol)

Guest Zombieofthedead

I thought the exact same way when I was your age (15, right? Dont wanna give a lecture or nothing, I am just saying this) But after a while life just kinda smacks you in the face, and all the things that were fun before change. To me, nothing beats the accomplished feeling you get from a strenuous workout. Life is hard, and when people really start to come into their own it takes a lot of "doing hard things" to make all those hard parts of life just a little bit easier.

Ok, I understand. It just seems that, with all those hours you work out, combined with work, you have like no time for anything else. Maybe I am mistaken, I don't know.

Fun is important, but as age goes up, Fun goes down. Its just how it is. I still do fun things (And after doing it for a long time, Working out has become fun) I used to loathe the thought of having to do a lot of work as I got older, but I came to accept it. There are ways to deal with it, create a balance. This is my way.

I have never heard anyone ever say that working out was fun in my entire life... So that's different. I sort of understand, though.

I started working out for the wrong reasons. I wanted to make the hard parts of life easier, so I wouldnt have to work as hard. But now my drive has never been stronger, and I enjoy the hard parts of life because they are not as bad as they seem in your head.

Ok, back to what the Topic was about: I tried this again, and like most things, it was not as hard the second time. PLayed Ascension, arms up, got to 30, Hour and 10 minutes this time (Spent more time Box nabbing). I like this workout. Its hard, but kinda worth it (I usually never work out my shoulders. My arms feel so light now lol)

Ok, you know what? I might actually try it. Guarantee I won't get past round 5, but I'll be honest, My shoulders need a work out. They make me look like I've been in a concentration camp.

Guest perfectlemonade

I don't like working out. Mainly because I don't like the lifestyle I see accompanying it. I tried football this summer. The people there are such dicks to each other! Oh my God, they're so mean in the weight room! I went out for football in the first place to get ripped for all the girls. I realized how insanely dumb that was about ten minutes in.

I mean, I stay active. I play lots of sports: tennis, basketball, baseball. Basketball is one of my loves in this world, and I play it about 3 times per week. I'm relatively healthy. I'm a bit on the heavy side, but so is everyone in my family, so I can't exactly be Taylor Lautner here. It's not in my genes. But I'm 6'0 and 215. And if people think that's gross or fat, they're idiots and they're not worth my time.

**Sounds like a girl

**Doesn't give af.

Really, it's that I like being active, but I hate doing things for the sole purpose of working out. I want to have fun doing it. Basketball is fun for me. Staying on my feet doesn't get me ripped, but it keeps my head above the water, and that's really all I'm worried about. I may try that controller thing though. Sounds interesting lol.

Guest TroubledTurkey

I really started working out for preparation. I want to be in top physical condition when I join the army. Which I technically have achieved. I am in the BEST shape of my life, and I am ready for Bootcamp to make me even better. It worries me a lot, weather or not I am capable, but I am told its more of a mental thing (not saying its not physical, but its about determination)

And I work out alone usually, because like you said, most people I see in the gym are jackholes (9/10) I just ignor them and do my own thing.

Oh, and with the controller thing, I suggest pacing a little. Your arms WILL start to 'scream'. Keeping em up through an entire game takes a lot of thinking and rethinking those tempting "I cant do this anymore" moments.... and as I was writing this, I realized that MIGHT be a good tip for Boot.... NOt sure though. Been told that thinking too hard is bad there.

Guest Superhands

Working out is a huge task at first. But once you get into the routine of it, it's not bad at all and actually enjoyable at times. I was pretty skinny about this time last year and just wanted a nice, male model-type body. With hard work I got the body I wanted, made myself happy and I've never stepped foot in a gym, just bought some dumbells and kettlebells. It's worth the hard work too I say, not only does looking good make me feel good, but other people notice too, females in particular obviously ;)

Sure it can be boring and sometimes you don't wanna do it. But my mind works like, if I've got a goal in mind then boredom just doesn't come into it because determination to reach the goal takes over. Which I'm guessing is why I'm suited to those long solo runs in zombies :lol:

Guest Blamco177

I've wondered if anyone did something strange while playing zombies, then I found this thread :lol: .

It's a nice challenge, I might give it a try on 115 day.

I like to work out, but I like working out WITH FRIENDS. I'm in water polo, and the motivation comes from all of my teammates and I feel so much gratitude for them.

#hint hint.

But yeah, very interesting way of exercising while gaming.

Guest aegisknight

I frequently play with the controller behind my head for extended periods of time, but this is a bit much.

I tried playing on the treadmill a few times, but having to think fast with an FPS can lead to some unpleasantries while running

Guest MyLittleHellhound

The closest ive come to exercising while playing is balancing a book on my head while I'm playing double screen Tetris- which is two different games going at once. On the highest level. Its insane cause you have to deal with two at once.