Mid-round bosses vs between round bosses

Hey guys, so what with Treyarch now producing the next game and the zombies team openly admitting that they look at these forums for ideas and inspiration, I thought I'd try and get some opinions that could possibly do a little shaping on the maps that will come with the game.

So the question: Do you prefer the bosses that come every 4-5 rounds (Hellhounds, Space Monkeys, Pentagon Thief), or mid-round bosses (George, Napalm zombie, Cosmonaut)?

I personally prefer the boss rounds - to me, the mid-round bosses added nothing positive apart from being able to get stuff from George. With boss rounds, I felt that it broke up the gameplay a little so every round wasn't the same therefore high-round runs being less tedious. Not to mention I liked the sense of strategising my ammo around boss rounds rather than just trusting to luck on Max Ammos etc. (with the exception of Moon of course).

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jake-Duck

Without a doubt I prefer the boss rounds. Specificly I like the Pentagon theif. It takes you from a constant, regular stream of zombies to a single zombie that makes you have to think quickly and coordinate with your teamates to succesfully defeat him. Mid-round bosses don't seem like a challenge to me, they are more of an irritation. Walking through a door and getting blown up by a napalm zombie is much more frustrating than anything else.

Guest Tom852

I can't really decide, however I voted for Boss Rounds.

Boss Rounds speed the game up, thats nice. The max ammos you can plan in are yummy. And as you said, they make the game less boring. However, the 'semi-invisible' gun taking thief... I hate that fck dude!!!

Midround bosses... are midround bosses. I like the astro concept. The napalm is cool too, since he disturbs your circle a bit & works as a trap. Shrieker, don't even notice him normally ;) It's a bit blurry sometimes, but that's it. And Gee, I never had problems with him. Kinda liked him all the time. He also forces you to change circle locations. But he should drop an ammo.

I like both concepts, imho 3arc can feel free to mix them up, or keep going as till now.

Guest way2g00

Can't decide as well. I feel like mid Boss rounds are fun (cotd is my fav map) but I find boss rounds more rewarding. 3arch should leave the variety of boss rounds vs mid boss rounds like black ops to keep the game challenging. I probably would not have enjoyed zombies very much if all the maps have boss rounds. Would make it too easy. keeps me challenged wanting to play more zombies.

Guest xFaTaLx RaMpAgE

I would like to see between round bosses. However, I would not want them to be the same as they are now, because they are far to easy. I would like to see one true boss, which has a ton of health and is actually challenging, as opposed to dogs which is a free round and max ammo. In fact, I don't even consider the monkeys or dogs bosses because they are so easy. I would love it if we could see more bosses like the pentagon thief, because he is actually a boss. If there aren't challenging boss rounds in the next game then I would rather have mid-round bosses.

Guest birdman22

i prefer a diferent one really depending on whether I am playing with randoms, or people who i know whoare communicating well.

for randoms, the between rounds bosses are much easier to deal with. its similar to the zombies but different enough to break it up

with playing with my friends who we know what were doing, the mid round bosses are more interesting because it does make it more difficult to navigate around them, and especially with george where you can make a concentrated effort and get a reward from him it certainly is nice.

goerge and the astro zombie in particular are frustrating with randoms because they tend to focus on them rather than the zombies in the round and it is just always disastrous

Guest i am richtofen

How about both ? You know kinda like how Der Riese worked: rounds 1-15 dogs spawn every 3-5 rounds but then round 16 and above dogs spawn in the middle of rounds as well.

So why not bring that back ? But it should not be the same type of enemy like in Der Riese. So for example: rounds 1-15 dog "boss" rounds and then rounds 16 and above have Shriekers spawn in the middle of rounds.

Guest way2g00

Treyarch should make a map called 99 problems! which has all the bosses in following in this order.

20. 50 monkeys. (Reward: Flop on flat surfaces)

40. 100 Nova gas crawlers. (Be immune to Nova gas)

50. shreiker, Pentagon thief (Sprint unlimited without stamin up)

65. George Romero, Spaceman Cosmonauts, and a sprinting Napalm zombie and dogs ( Reward: Become Invisible once for 15 seconds, teleport yourself once per round)

80. Group 935 with AI (Reward: All box weapons become wall guns for 950)

99. Cosmic Silverback (Reward: Never lose your perks as long as you are in the game)

Trophy unlocked: come get some...

Guest i am richtofen

Treyarch should make a map called 99 problems! which has all the bosses in following in this order.

20. 50 monkeys. (Reward: Flop on flat surfaces)

40. 100 Nova gas crawlers. (Be immune to Nova gas)

50. shreiker, Pentagon thief (Sprint unlimited without stamin up)

65. George Romero, Spaceman Cosmonauts, and a sprinting Napalm zombie and dogs ( Reward: Become Invisible once for 15 seconds, teleport yourself once per round)

80. Group 935 with AI (Reward: All box weapons become wall guns for 950)

99. Cosmic Silverback (Reward: Never lose your perks as long as you are in the game)

Trophy unlocked: come get some...

Round 100: Tambor Fudgely (Reward: Thunderwaf DG-44 (Thunder gun and Wonder Waffle combined))

Achievement unlocked: You are so fu*king hacking.

Guest Superhands

Give me both!!!

You could say that, but having a mid-round boss plus Boss rounds would be a bit OTT. If you have no preference then I guess there's no point in voting ;)

Guest TroubledTurkey

I like Boss Rounds, but they coulda been harder. Even the Thief is really easy (Claymore Pit FTW). The Dogs on WaW Shi No NUma were actually somewhat a challenge (Running from the Get-Go, Unaffected by Juggernog). If it were me, I would have upped the Dog ammount atleast, Like constantly increasing Dogs per Round, and a larger Dogs per Spawn on Solo (Seriousley, 2 is NOT enough, even for one person)

Oh, and personal opinion: That 99 problems thing, worst idea I have ever heared, just because it would completely make that achievement impossible to obtain for a normal player, someone who cant spend insanely long times playing a video game. I like what you put IN the rounds, but not the numbers you put them on. Too unreal. It would have to be really dumbed down, making 99 too easy to reach.

Guest way2g00

I did not vote because I like both. However I did not mean both in same map. I meant some maps with boss rounds and some without. It would be stupid to have both in same game. well kinda.

Guest TroubledTurkey

My favorite part of Mid-Round Bosses was that George added a desirablility to some underrated weapons, I would have liked to see that factor with other mid-round bosses, to shake things up a bit. Have Bosses where WonderWeapons and Wall weapons are not so effective, but usually passed over Box weapons are beast on them.

Guest way2g00

I like Boss Rounds, but they coulda been harder. Even the Thief is really easy (Claymore Pit FTW). The Dogs on WaW Shi No NUma were actually somewhat a challenge (Running from the Get-Go, Unaffected by Juggernog). If it were me, I would have upped the Dog ammount atleast, Like constantly increasing Dogs per Round, and a larger Dogs per Spawn on Solo (Seriousley, 2 is NOT enough, even for one person)

Oh, and personal opinion: That 99 problems thing, worst idea I have ever heared, just because it would completely make that achievement impossible to obtain for a normal player, someone who cant spend insanely long times playing a video game. I like what you put IN the rounds, but not the numbers you put them on. Too unreal. It would have to be really dumbed down, making 99 too easy to reach.

I just put that idea there for entertainment. But Seriouosly thats the way it should be. It shouldn't take days to get to 99.

Guest TroubledTurkey

I know it doesnt take "Days" to get to 99, it takes near a day though. Some of us only get a few hours a day to spend on video games (I do intend to get to 100 sometime soon though). But its unrealistic to expect people (please take no offense) with a life to get past 50 in any game of zombies, without an extremely high level of detication to 15+ hours of straight gaming.

I do like the idea of different Boss Rounds Per Boss Round though, just not such a drastic ammount of rounds between each change.

Guest Superhands

I did not vote because I like both. However I did not mean both in same map. I meant some maps with boss rounds and some without. It would be stupid to have both in same game. well kinda.

I agree with this. I think the main aim of this thread, if Treyarch take note of it, is because in the last 3 maps it's all been mid-round bosses, would just like to see things mixed up a bit in the next game, maybe alternating between boss rounds on one map and mid-round boss on the next map.

Guest way2g00

I was talking solo. I dont really do co-op 100's. But for solo it takes about 3-4 days on average with sleep breaks obviously. FYI It took me about 20 hours to get to 100. Its a personal preferenceto play solo and get to 100 or 200. I can see that happening on solo but co-op is just not possible with conenction issues and like you said too many hours dedicated straight gaming. Normally my goal for co-op is 50. Solo depends on my mood.

Guest TroubledTurkey

This is getting kinda far off Topic, but I would definately do super-high round runs, but I am not allowed to leave my XBox on unattended for ANY amount of time. If I had the PC version this wouldnt be a problem, but I would have to rebuy the game, and my Map Packs, just for a high run round. Not really worth it IMO. I would rather just sit there for hours without breaks (With proper preparation.)

Now Back on Topic. Anyone though about "Boss Rounds" that are Normal Zombie Rounds, with difficult Boss Zombies appearing alongside the zombies. It would make Boss rounds just as Difficuly (minimum) as an equivilent Zombie Round, with Boss Zombies adding a difficult twist+Perhaps a Max Ammo.

Guest way2g00

I agree with this. I think the main aim of this thread, if Treyarch take note of it, is because in the last 3 maps it's all been mid-round bosses, would just like to see things mixed up a bit in the next game, maybe alternating between boss rounds on one map and mid-round boss on the next map.

3arc doesnt like traps because they were abused almost everytime and the rounds were too easy to beat. These were also responsible for some games to crash.

So they got rid of traps in next maps (cotd, shangri la and moon)

I guess they implemented mid round bosses just to compensate max ammo's chances in some maps like call of the dead and to increase the games complexity in other maps like Moon and shangri la where it is much easier to get max ammos or other drops compared to older maps (kino, five and ascension) that have wonderweapons that don't give you points or drops.

Example: It is known fact that George Romero is very useful in COTD to get max ammos in 50+ rounds for solo. The only weapon that can be relied upon is wunderwaffe and when George appears mid round there is a good chance he can help you with ammo.

In shangrila the wonderweapon is just too good that it gives you points and kills zombies that automatically gives drops.

Moon has hacker and gersches = max ammos. so phasers just add a twist to the game.

Just my 2 cents.

Guest aegisknight

Mix. Boss rounds are nice because it makes the game go faster, and the max ammo doesn't hurt. But George, napalm, cosmonaut, and shriekers add something different to regular rounds, prevents people from running an uninterrupted train in the same spot for 70 rounds. I appreciate that.