The problems I had with the last few zombie maps.

As zombies evolved, many new features and abilities were added. I enjoyed all of them, yet the way that some of the abilities were implemented in the last couple maps, mainly Shangri and Moon, makes me nervous for the future of zombies.

The biggest thing I had a problem with was this:

Overdependence on teammates.

Let me give you a couple examples. On Shangri, you couldn't pack a punch without all 4 of your teammates cooperation. That means that if you had a teammate on your team that wanted to be a dick and not help anyone, the game allowed him to do that. That is only possible in Shangri and moon. In moon, the problem was made worse, and you couldn't even start the game without them. Even if you managed to get to the moon, you couldn't get jug or speed by yourself, which as most of us know, are two of the most important pieces of any zombie game.

Now, you might be saying, those things force teamwork to be used! They make everyone be a team player! Everyone has to work together! Well, those things are true, but I have a theory about teamwork. Teamwork in zombies is something that came naturally. It was never forced in any map before Shangri, yet no one here is ignorant enough to say that the maps before Shangri took any less teamwork. Shangri and Moon took the individual aspect of zombies and tried to put less emphasis on it. But that's not a good thing. Zombies has always allowed a good player to survive simply because he's good, not because of his teammates. Combine 4 good players that are willing to work together, and you are going to get to a high round.

Treyarch definately went in the wrong direction with their last few zombie maps. They put an overemphasis on teamwork, and took a lot of the individual aspects of zombies. A player should always be able to get jug and pack a punch by themselves, and forcing team apsects on players is something that shouldn't be done. Teamwork is something that comes naturally when players start to understand things like strategy and point management, and forcing the team aspects in Shangri and Moon didn't really make the maps any more teamwork based, just more frustrating for skilled individual zombie players.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Undead Killer

I hate those two maps when I can't find a game on the Playstation Network. It sucks when you need to PaP and you don't have anybody with you because you can't do anything but run around and, if you're lucky, get a decent weapon so you can survive.

Guest Rissole25

Treyarch definately went in the wrong direction with their last few zombie maps. They put an overemphasis on teamwork, and took a lot of the individual aspects of zombies. A player should always be able to get jug and pack a punch by themselves, and forcing team apsects on players is something that shouldn't be done. Teamwork is something that comes naturally when players start to understand things like strategy and point management, and forcing the team aspects in Shangri and Moon didn't really make the maps any more teamwork based, just more frustrating for skilled individual zombie players.

That line is so true. Forcing teamwork to achieve a certain goal will not always work, no matter the prize. If a person doesn't want to do something, than you can't force them too. Especially over a video game.

Moon's one is obvious as to why they did it. I mean you couldn't have players in both Area 51 and Griffin Station without something else going wrong in this already glitchy map. Area 51/NML is essentially it's own map, using unique properties (no power ups, no rounds, infinite spawn) to set itself apart from Moon/Griffin Station. I suppose the only way this could have worked would be have rounds take place when you teleport to A51, and have it where they teleport back automatically to Griffin Station after a time limit like in Kino. But this wouldn't make Area 51/NML unique and what it is today.

Shangri-La's I could easily see a fix for. If someone has been standing on the plate for a certain amount of time, than they should activate, to counter team players who don't want to/don't know how to. I mean, you wouldn't do that normally, so the game would recognise you're trying to PaP. After a certain amount of time, they would all activate.

I see what Treyarch were trying to do, but I think it kinda backfired. Sure it made it more strategic, but it also annoyed a lot of players and fed the trolls.

Guest XxJason LivesxX

I don't mind the forced teamwork much as I don't really play with randoms.

What I disliked about the last 3 maps was the lengths 3ARC went to take camping out of the equasion or at least make it less viable. To me (IMHO) Camping is the main strategy with kiting being the fall-back in later rounds when you get over run.

Listen to the interviews they talk so much about how they wanted players to play the way they wanted to (Kite or Camp), but then when the maps came out all of them had an anti-camping device built into them. However, there were no kiting devices added.

Now I know some will say "Camping is soooooo boring", but that's the way I feel about kiting so I was kind of dissapointed with that.

That being said I do really enjoy Moon and Shang and COTD is an awesome map if you can get a hold of the VR-11 and upgrade it early to negate George.

Very interesting point of view. I sign it.

But it does not annoy me sooo much anymore. It's no problem with privates, with randoms I anyway do not take it serious.

I see it as a challenge, to keep everybody alive in Shangri La, and to put anybody's ass on the platforms.

Even the Russian only speaking. It is super annoying, if you really need to pap, but as you said, 'teamwork comes naturally by understanding point/surviving thoughts'. So the Russian only speaking wants to pap himself at some time, so at some point he will jump and shoot at a platform while he writes

éàèéàààààéèéàéèàé!!!!

Note: On PC it really looks exactly like so when Russians type!

And thats my "Pap with randoms" fun-challenge for shangri la, I kinda like it ;)

Guest BlindBusDrivr

I totally agree, it's impossible to pap or get jug or anything on moon with randoms that don't listen. And then even if you get there they often down themselves leaving you trapped. It's to dependent on teammates imo.

The worst is when you go on the tele porter, they won't jump down, and you have to jump down to the pyramid and run all the way back around through the map :o :x