Tips on hitting the box midround?

Okay guys, so I just died on my first legit high round attempt at 97 on Ascension. I know it's no 161 or whatever, but I was proud of it. I didn't regret anything about it—I played well. But alas, I digress.

Both times I went down (I lost the other revive to monkeys) was because I had Mule Kick and I was trying to get back my Thundergun midround, and I couldn't pull out my Awful Lawton in time to save my butt. There were really only two spots I ever had trouble with: power room spawn, and the Mule Kick spawn. I could imagine on other maps, there are similar box spawns to these as well that would be a pain in the ass to hit midround.

So does anyone have tips for hitting a box midround? I'm thinking that, as I do more of these high round runs, this will be my Achilles' heel. Thanks!

-perfect

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest MixMasterNut

Congrats! 97 is way legit.

You don't need the Thundergun and Awful Lawton when you have fire traps at your disposal. You should only be using your thundergun only to get out of sticky situations at this point. The rest of the time use an SMG and/or nades to build up points to buy the fire traps with.

If you must go for the box mid-round, I suggest not making your move until you have all the zombies spawned in, and grouped within your zombie train. Once you have all the zombies grouped up, stay close to the pack, because you don't want to lose some and have new zombies spawn in front of you. Once you have the box in your sights, you may have to make a dash to buy it, and then get back to herding your zombie train ASAP. Once back into position, make a wide loop to grab the weapon. You have quite a few seconds for the weapon to stay available, so be patient, and be smooth with this move.

If you have Gersch devices, you may need to use one to grab your weapon from the box, and make a mad dash back to a safer area. Throwing out a Gersh device every couple rounds may also pick you up a Max ammo, or a power-up that leads to a Max ammo.

Guest Superhands

Great job man, must have hurt to get cut short of 100. I got cut short of a run to 100 on Verruckt last night, getting to round 88 before getting Treyarched (random DirectX error when I used a trap even though I'd been using it for the past 50 or so rounds), video to follow soon.

Actually, hitting the box mid-round is pretty much the only cause of my downs when soloing Ascension. If I used the traps over and over and never used the Thundergun therefore never needing to spin the box, I could go on forever. That said, I've had a fair bit of experience using the box mid-round in every area. The most difficult of the 3 are both roof areas and the Mule Kick room as you mentioned.

The Power room is not actually hard, you just need to make sure you get all of the zombies in a really tight group before you start running a train there, which can be done by shooting a Lawton bolt at the door as they come through it to make them crowd round it. Then to run a train there youpretty much abuse the fact that the zombies always cling to the inner walls when running around a corner, you just tuck yourself in the inner corner, then as they run round the corner you run round them. Hope that makes sense.

In the Mule Kick room, you just run up the stairs, hit to box, then drop out of the hole in the wall and repeat.

Guest Superhands

don't hit the box mid round, get a new one each round you are out. Use it then pack it. Use traps if you are out of ammo.

Yeah definately, if you can wait until the end of a round and save a zombie then it'll make things a lot easier.

Guest Ehjookayted

What Way said. You really shouldn't try to hit the box mid-round. Basically, use your MP5K to rack up points if you want and then keep using traps. Figure out the hordes and then split the zombies so that you leave one or two. Then, you can hit the box. It's rather genius actually.

BinText and Way deserve mad props for figuring out and testing the code, which is 100% accurate until around round 80, I've been told. After that, it's pretty much 95% accurate.

Guest Superhands

I always found it really helpful when you think you're approaching the end of a round, to turn the traps on a little late so you end up letting a couple of zombies through without the trap killing them. This way you're guaranteed to have at most a small group, which of course is easy to kite even in the hardest of areas.

Guest Superhands

Great job man, must have hurt to get cut short of 100. I got cut short of a run to 100 on Verruckt last night, getting to round 88 before getting Treyarched (random DirectX error when I used a trap even though I'd been using it for the past 50 or so rounds), video to follow soon.

viewtopic.php?f=59&t=18767

Guest birdman22

Okay guys, so I just died on my first legit high round attempt at 97 on Ascension. I know it's no 161 or whatever, but I was proud of it. I didn't regret anything about it—I played well. But alas, I digress.

Both times I went down (I lost the other revive to monkeys) was because I had Mule Kick and I was trying to get back my Thundergun midround, and I couldn't pull out my Awful Lawton in time to save my butt. There were really only two spots I ever had trouble with: power room spawn, and the Mule Kick spawn. I could imagine on other maps, there are similar box spawns to these as well that would be a pain in the ass to hit midround.

So does anyone have tips for hitting a box midround? I'm thinking that, as I do more of these high round runs, this will be my Achilles' heel. Thanks!

-perfect

the mule kick box in ascension prob best time to hit that would be after activating the fire trap there. that might buy enough time, but the power room one is a really tough one to hit mid round.

Guest birdman22

I always found it really helpful when you think you're approaching the end of a round, to turn the traps on a little late so you end up letting a couple of zombies through without the trap killing them. This way you're guaranteed to have at most a small group, which of course is easy to kite even in the hardest of areas.

thats a great idea. brilliant! [brains]

Guest way2g00

thats a great idea. brilliant! [brains]

I actually find it a bit risky this way. sometimes either left a whole lot of them are left or I happened to kill them all trying to let them in before the trap starts.

The tactic I use is the trap next to mule kick. Run few seconds ahead of the horde and look throw the hole when you drop down for the last couple zombies and jump down.

This takes bit of practice but it has never failed me but the latter one did. Ill post a video.

What I do is, I lead my whole train to the stamin up lander, sprint to the critical box location (of course with stamin up), hit it twice, and start all over. It's slow, but very safe.

Guest Epsilon7

Going mid round after you got downed on solo is a death sentence in certain cases, I would suggest trying to get them into one organized train again at PhD Flopper then with anything you got just kill all or most of them then dash for Jugg with your overflowing wallet of cash.

That's how I do it, and it usually works. Then, depending onwhere the box is, ideally for me it's PhD or near PaP that works, so I'd go there for one hit then dash back to your original rape train area.

Guest way2g00

What I do is, I lead my whole train to the stamin up lander, sprint to the critical box location (of course with stamin up), hit it twice, and start all over. It's slow, but very safe.

I tried this once just to die on 90+, because the box was in power switch room and I paused the game, came back and then ran straight into the horde with a china lake in hand..lol.. You can do this but I don't recommend it mid round if the box is in critical locations like power room or speed cola and you don't have a oh-shit weapon. This ugly clip will do..

EDIT: I missed the stamin up lander part, Yes, it would give us enough time when the lander is by power switch room. The only problem is if they start coming from both sides.. mule kick and stake out.. ( i doubt they will..) I will remember this for my next run, [brains] to you TOM.

[youtube:1rl7gr2v]n1AhJuWDPC8[/youtube:1rl7gr2v]