The Lithuanian Legend of the Iron Wolf

Guest Nathan169

Guest Nathan169

So I have been looking through information about Iron Wolf. I am not really sure which time period, i believe its got to be before 1968. I think the campagin would have a mission but a flash back like Black ops and the real time period just might be around during 1938 and through WWII. Just in case, I copy and pasted here so you guys dont have to google it. :)

Iron Wolf (Geležinis Vilkas, also known as the Iron Wolf Association or the Iron Wolves) was a Lithuanian fascist movement formed by Augustinas Voldemaras in 1927. Set up as a guard movement for Voldemaras' Tautininkai, the Iron Wolves were used by Voldemaras to target his political opponents. The movement was banned in 1930, although it continued as an underground group. In 1934 its members attempted a failed coup d'etat against the president Antanas Smetona (former honorary leader who broke with the organizations earlier) Voldemaras was arrested, released in 1938 and he soon emigrated. During the Second World War and German occupation of Lithuania, many members of the organization collaborated with German authorities.

The name of the organization comes from the story of Gediminas' dream, popularized in Adam Mickiewicz's poem, Pan Tadeusz

And of Gediminas, who on Ponary's crest,Warm in hunter's bearskin, lay down to rest.Soothed by the songs of the wise Lizdejko,Lulled by the rush of the sweet Vilejko,He saw a wolf of iron in his dreams.

This legend relates to Gediminas, Grand Duke of Lithuania whose monument stands in Cathedral Square.

Grand Duke, Gediminas, was on a hunting trip in the forests of Šventaragis valley around the mouth of the River Vilnia. When night fell, the party, feeling tired after a long and successful hunt, decided to set up camp and spend the night there. While he was asleep, Gediminas had an unusual dream in which he saw an iron wolf at the top of the mountain where he had killed an European bison that day. The iron wolf was standing on the top of a hill with its head raised proudly towards the moon, howling as loud as a hundred wolves. Awakened by the rays of the rising sun, the Duke remembered his strange dream and consulted the pagan priest Lizdeika about it. The latter interpreted the dream as follows: ‘Let that happen to the Ruler and the Lithuanian State what was fated to happen!’ He told the Duke that the dream was a direction to found a city among these hills. The howling of the wolf, explained the priest, represented the fame of the future city: that city will be the capital of Lithuanian lands, and its reputation would spread far and wide, as far as the howling of the mysterious wolf…’ So the Grand Duke of Lithuania, obeying the will of gods, immediately started to build the future capital, and took it the name – Vilnius – from the stream of the rapid Vilnia

?action=view&current=Wolf1.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Nathan169

I found a information this happened around beginning of 14th century. Here is the information.

There is a story that surrounds the founding of Vilnius. The Grand Duke Gediminas, 1316-1341,went out hunting with his friends in a sacred forest. While twilight was creeping in, Gediminas spied upon a large bull. Gediminas hunted the bull and finally caught up with it on a hill -standing where the Neris and Vilna Rivers meet. Here it was that Gediminas made his kill.

The hunt for the bull took so long that night had fallen. Gediminas and the rest of the hunting party decided to camp in the woods for the night.

In the morning the Grand Duke awoke saying, "An amazing dream did I dream this night! I dreamt of a great Iron Wolf, standing on that hill. His howl was so great and terrible; his voice was that of one hundred wolves. Who would know what this dream means?" No one could interpret his dream, but know it he would. Not far from the hill lived "Kriviu Krivaitis" - the High Priest of Lithuania. Gediminas decided to ride out to his homestead and ask him to interpret the dream. Kriviu Krivaitis heard the dream and said, "Most noble Grand Duke, the Iron Wolf symbolises a large and formidable city, and it must be built on that hill. That city will be as strong as iron. The wolf's howl -the city's life and strength. Build it!"

The city of Vilnius was built and still stands today as the nation's capital.

The legend of Gediminas and the Iron Wolf is held highly by Lithuanians as National Anthem legend here in the United States. It's a part of our history,it's a part of us.

This is the end of the Legend, but the start of the reality. Gediminas really built a castle on that high hill and moved his residence from Trakai to Vilnius (1323). Having declared Vilnius his "royal town", Gediminas created conditions for its subsequent growth as the political, economical and cultural center of Lithuania.

Guest Nathan169

Yes, the group is actually named after the dream and the group named Iron Wolf started in 20's on the same country where the king ruled who had a dream centries before the group started.

Guest K1llsteelr

Ive been offline for quite a while and only read about iron wolf the other day

It could be true it also could be a hoax or it could even be a clever bluff by devs to to plant an idea to get forums guessing

Good work on research btw