I seriously think that Extinction is zombies continuation.

I created this tread to discuss how extinction could be related to zombies, I suggest you go watch the intel for those who don't understand. 

Look, we have soul powered devices, a demonic samantha, war hero scientist in constant battle with her after his experiments on her went haywire, Then a golden-rod-like organ from an ood-like ancient is used to manipulate a machine in an environment where one can jump really high. 

Come on, if not a multiverse theory we can at least discuss infinity ward's serious copyright infringements. 

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(I don't follow Extinction's story at all.)

But it sounds like IW is just heavily borrowing from Treyarch's foundation in regards to the major plot devices. Hence why they sound so alike.

That doesn't have to mean that the two are related however.

Like take Mass Effect (or any sci-fi story ever released after Star Wars) 

All these stories are inspired by other sci-fi stories that came before them, often "borrowing" certain elements from Star Wars or other sci-fis. Why? Because we're so familiar with them, we've all seen them dozens of times before. Why try to create a new idea that could fail horribly when you can also use plot twist #85 - that new crew member no one cares about turns out to work for the bad guys.

Ever saw a movie or read a story where a person's physical limitations suddenly vanish when they're being possessed by an Alien Entity, like they suddenly got superhuman strength? 

It's one of those overused plot elements aka plot devices. (Or someone has super powers, but can only use them when emotionally agitated)

It's also no secret that a lot of game developers and story writes look and play other games for inspiration.

I think this is a case of Infinity Ward having looked very closely at Zombies, noting the things that worked and the things that didn't, and used that as a blueprint to create their own unique co-op mode - Extinction.

That or IW is just straight up ripping off Zombies. I wouldn't know since I'm not into Extinction.

I dont think Infinity ward is Ripping off zombies, During an alien apocalypse on earth there aren't really many options left if you want to have the aliens take over the earth. The path the story depends on what happens before. In any alien story you can have many different twists. It was all a hoax, it was all a television movie, The aliens were trying to help mankind the whole time, etc. No matter what path they took they would end up ripping off something else. If they say it was a hoax then they are ripping off war of the worlds. If they say the aliens were trying to help mankind then they are ripping off the cinematic classic. The day the earth stood still. Being exiled from Earth is a common scenario in science fiction and their choice of implementing it is just a coincidence. From the start we all knew zombies would eventually end up with a worldwide apocalypse It was just a matter of time. I don't believe that Extinction has anything to do with Zombies because Infinity ward is not affiliated with treyarch. They do not own zombies and are thus not allowed to make any kind of connection into their story. Would it be cool to see a crossover map? Perhaps if done correctly but the probability of that happening are 0.

I would definitely say IW is ripping off Zombies. 

It's no surprise to IW that the Black Ops games did better than Modern Warfare. I'm sure they are trying to appeal to zombie fans with Extinction and keep them buying CoD titles even when Treyarch isn't making them. There's nothing wrong with that, it happens all the time. If you're trying to sell lemonade and your neighbor does too, but puts a big sign at the end of the road and gets more business, aren't you going to go put a sign there too?

Nothing negative about it. It's not zombies, but it's nice of IW to give sombie fans something similar while we wait for the next Treyarch title. I applaud Extinction because of that. 

They could totally do a crossover map, even without rights to trayarch's zombies. They have no right to the direct story, the gameplay style, or any copyright things. But it's activation's call if they want to put something like a secret storyline in it related to zombies. As long as the zombies storyline isn't recited or changed I think it's fair game. 

Hell, If I was trayarch and I knew I wouldn't be seeing more zombies until 2015, i would let IW use an extinction secret story to keep the hype of zombies going, it's a win-win-win situation. 

Zombie hype? Up! More sales of BO2 and BO1 zombies...

IW gets epic new mode with awesome story.

Story continuation for us. 

Where would that even fit in relation to the BOII storyline? if it was Post-nuke, we would be able to tell in ghosts. If it was pre-nuke, there would be evidence of alien activity in black ops pre-nuke. I think they might be alluding to zombies, but I don't think it is officially in the same universe.

I would say in some ways IW are ripping off Treyarch in some ways.

Does EVERY villain in COD's "world-is-overrun" mode have to be named Samantha?

Who thinks some kind of scientist by the name of Edward makes an appearance in this mode?

But personally I think COD are trying to have some survival type game mode in every game now,

Treyarch: Zombies

IW: Aliens

Sledgehammer:??? (Never played MW3 so no idea what that survival mode was)

I think any survival mode with a mythos and a story line is going to seem like it's borrowing heavily from zombies. On top of that, aliens aren't real, so the only thing you have to draw from when creating the story, are other alien stories from the past. That's why it seems like a rip-off. It's not intentional though, just unavoidable.

Where would that even fit in relation to the BOII storyline? if it was Post-nuke, we would be able to tell in ghosts. If it was pre-nuke, there would be evidence of alien activity in black ops pre-nuke. I think they might be alluding to zombies, but I don't think it is officially in the same universe.

You never read any of my extinction theories, it's all multiverse schematics. Here have a look: 

http://www.callofdutyzombies.com/forum/index.php/topic/159681-extinction-vs-zombies-the-swinging-door-theory/

You know Awakening is very much like what is described in Vril: The power of the coming race, they have a technology which could allow them have wings and fly around their cave like home. Just like Gargoyles. Maybe they are using the Vril storyline loosely as Treyarch has used it aswell and this has caused a similarity. But the fact Samantha Cross is her name has always somewhat annoyed me.

Multiverse theory is VERY popular these days, 

Family guy, bioshock, I think phineas and ferb hopped on the train as well. 

It's defiantly not out of the question with all the similarities. 

You don't need to even play the game just look up some audio logs and gameplay, the "leit motifs" are in ample supply. 

• 3 weeks later...

Its multiverse in my opinion. Judging on your profile picture you can understand this, extinction totally seems like something that could be found through a tear. Similar basis but with very different details. But on the negative side of things they called the woman hooked up to a machine commanding the aliens... Samantha. Seriously?.... I dont know the dlc 3 story at all but yhe dlc 2 was is pretty much based on, if not totally ripped off of zombies. Oh well, at least they tried. At the end of the day extinction got me to purchase ghosts which is the main goal for IW right? So mission accomplished.

Oh get this, in the 3rd DLC archer and his elite group of scientist, commanded under the mysterious never-seen figure enter the deep underground cavern hidden miles away from the earth's crust. Here he encounters a spongelike surface that allows low-gravety bouncing (like on moon). He enters the "Main structure" to find the ancient ones (aliens) sleeping in cryogenic stasis. He also finds samantha, after receiving a tour from her he attempts to kill her, but only ends up killing his companions and having his arm chopped off in a sort of look-into-the-apocalipse-vision. He also proclaims a device called a cortex (I think) that basically is a part of one of the ancient one's brains… That happens to look EXACTLY like the Golden Vrill rod.

Once the four players enter the chamber in a rescue attempt, they find a paralyzed archer and samantha on the intercom. She instructs you to use cryptid souls to power the cortex, which is supposedly used to stop the ancient ones from waking up. This fails and the four are left to evacuate.

In the final cutscene the unknown voice is heard talking to the president. It's here that it's revealed that hundreds of thousands of ancient one's-bases are underground around the world.  The awakening cryptids emerge from the earth and send everything to hell. The voice states that the "war" was lost and that soon everything would be consumed by nuclear fire via human backup-plan. Their only hope is an "Arc" hidden "right above their heads". 

I should ALSO mention that the cryptids running the earth look like gray oods: 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/teachers/doctorwhocompetition/images/downloads/ood.jpg

They walk on 2 legs and look to be incapable of long-ranged attacks, if so, we could be looking at zombie type enemies. 

The connections are just great.

Since Nightfall, lots of things were similar to Zombies.

But, mate, we are now going to nuke the motherfucking earth. In the 4th DLC. I think that's just enough to link both universes.

In a serious, multiverese theory way, or in a funny, Infinity Ward-Trollarch way. 

There's no way to tell. 

You know what makes sense, they just aren't as innovative as Treyarch and took some of their ideas and tried to change them.

It's about a 50/50 chance of either they simply aren't original, or they are playing the multiverse card. One of those options will turn out MUCH better for everyone IMO. 

But you got to take into account the shear number of "Constants". 

Point of contact- 

-Diner

-One girl, one guy with a mustache, one african american, and one guy with a beard. 

DLC 1- 

-Samantha

-Malicious and cruel scientist opposing samantha who fought in the war and has a deep european accent. 

-High altitude location

-Scientist begins tests on samantha

-Samantha sets hordes free

-Mysterious unseen voice directs the leader of the scientist. 

DLC2- 

-Samantha get's a bit less cuddly on the inside of her twisted brain.

-Takes place on a vessel over a body of water.

-Scientist have developed weapons despite the fact they are a research group. 

-Samantha begins killing scientist and becoming SUPER friendly with the hordes. 

-Scientist trys to kill Samantha (reference to Der Reise) 

-Scientist goes against shadowy leader's rules (reference to richtofen going behind maxis's back)

DLC3- 

-Underground location

-bouncy environment miles away from the earth's crust (reference to moon)

-Souls are gathered to charge the cortex (reference to moon and the golden rod) 

-Archer begins telling one that samantha is evil (Reference to the maxis/richtofen fight) Samantha does the opposite. 

-Upon escaping one reveals that the hordes have now covered the earth after rising from the ground. 

-Also, the plan now is for the shadowy leader to nuke the earth. 

-The arc is above everyone according to maxis, satellite? Airship? or moon bace?