Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Saphire

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meh.

Unpopular opinion inbound, but why on earth does Pokemon keep getting remakes?

COD gets bashed yearly for being the same as the last one. Despite having a different storyline, different survival mode AND different MP weapons and Activision get called greedy *insert expletive here*.

Anyone who knows me knows I really hate COD's MP mode with a passion. (Irrelevant but it's just to prove I'm not a COD fan boy)

Yet Pokemon has actual remakes, I have not seen anyone bash Pokemon for being a remake. All I see is praise and everyone signing up to play a game that was out years ago.

In my opinion, this is Nintendo just shaking the Pokemon cash cow yet again, being out of ideas so they just remake another game for easy money.

Now, I don't hate Pokemon, as I have played Platinum, Emerald and Fire Red and enjoyed them, but I wouldn't buy a remake.

Ever.

Before anyone starts criticizing me for GTA being remade for iOS and Android, I haven't bought them. I do not intend to either. (I own both an Android phone and an iPod)

I really do think that classic games should just remain on the downloadable store so people can experience the original in all it's glory, like Sony did with some brilliant PS1 games. (Spyro 2 & 3)

They get remakes purely because the audience is there for it. It's been near enough a decade since the original games for generation 3 came out, and I for one am more than ready to get back into Hoenn. I think it's unfair to label it as a complete remake; both remakes previous both added new features and perks to improve the original game. Besides, I think we ALL want to see the Hoenn region in glorious 3D.

Besides, the reason CoD gets hate is because it releases a new game every year, and they ARE very similar. This is the first Pokemon remake in 4 and a half years so it's a completely different feeling. Also, Pokemon has much more of a nostalgic fanbase. It has that replay-ability factor that CoD doesn't have simply because of how vast the Pokemon world is. I wouldn't consider these games a remake, more like a re-imagination. Similar to how movies do it. Saying that OR and AS shouldn't be made because of Ruby and Sapphire is like saying the Dark Knight movies should never have been made because there have already been Batman movies.

That's my take on things.

-Jolteon 

• Administrators

I have to agree with Nathan on this one.

I didn't mind it at first, but why on Earth would you remake an older Pokemon game just to "modernize" it? I am one of those nostalgia-kinds of people who prefer the classics than the several, several remakes they toss at you. My imagination was good enough to visualize the classics as a "real world experience". It was okay up to Fire Red/Leaf Green, but now it's just shoveling it down the throats of players. And I'm not bashing the concept either - I mean, I absolutely loved what Heart Gold and Soul Silver did for my beloved 2nd generation Pokemon (which is my favorite - Johto for the win). 

I'd still be down to play it just because it's Pokemon, but c'mon - there's a certain limit before it's a gigantic mishap of scrambled ideas and vintage icons.

I think its amazing that we keep buying remakes of the same game, with a few snazzy things thrown in.

Having said that I did miss out on ruby and sapphire... watch this space!

Yeah, because these are obviously just a "few" snazzy things:

Before

pokemon-ruby-screenshot-3.jpg

After

PokemonXY_Gameplay.jpg

Throw away the term remake. The term is not factual. Remix would be a better term.

Good things are remixed. Many songs are. Titanic was. And you know what, SO IS POKEMON RUBY AND SAPPHIRE.

Edited by MurderMachineX

Franchise Remakes are something that really only fans of said franchise will appreciate.

Most Pokémon fans will love Pokemon remakes (and for good reasons) the rest will be in the "Oh look, charge us twice for the same game" camp.

But then again, they're made for the fans.

As mentioned above, though not specified, if Sony were to remake the original Spyro trilogy with updated graphics and physics for PS3/4 X360/One Wii U, I would not not buy it.

The original of a great game has a exclusive experience. The remakes will probably still be fun and enjoyable but no amount of remakes or mods can live up to the original experience.

The same can be said for other games I've enjoyed that have been remade.

As mentioned above, though not specified, if Sony were to remake the original Spyro trilogy with updated graphics and physics for PS3/4 X360/One Wii U, I would not not buy it.

The original of a great game has a exclusive experience. The remakes will probably still be fun and enjoyable but no amount of remakes or mods can live up to the original experience.

Says the guy who buys every GTA ever made.

I think its amazing that we keep buying remakes of the same game, with a few snazzy things thrown in.

Having said that I did miss out on ruby and sapphire... watch this space!

Yeah, because these are obviously just a "few" snazzy things:

Before

pokemon-ruby-screenshot-3.jpg

After

PokemonXY_Gameplay.jpg

Throw away the term remake. The term is not factual. Remix would be a better term.

Good things are remixed. Many songs are. Titanic was. And you know what, SO IS POKEMON RUBY AND SAPPHIRE.

You're forgetting Leaf Green and Fire Red dear sir. Some chap in Nintendo/Game Freak: "I know what'll sell a new pokemon game!" "a new idea?" "hell naw, let's remake blue and red, but add in an extra island"

And remake is remake. It works. Perhaps remaster would suit things better for you mmx?

Out of interest, how many of you guys actually played gen 1 blue/red?

Says the guy who buys every GTA ever made.

How very, very incorrect.

I have never bought or played GTA 1, GTA 2, London, 1969, Vice City Stories, GTA Advance, The Ballad of Gay Tony, The Lost and Damned and The original GTA trilogy remakes on iOS and Android.

If you require further proof, have a look at my GTA IV achievements. Also, I'd be happy to send you print screens of my phone and iPod.

So don't assume that just because I like a series means I have played every single game. Infact the list above is probably about 30% - 50% of the GTA games.

Likewise with Spyro, I have never bought or played Spyro 1.

Edited by TheNathanNS

Was a really exciting time, definitely have me that buzz you're talking about.

With that in mind, I also loved Emerald. Went on and 100%'d it, then went back and played the originals. I found them to be equal, but personal nostalgia keeps telling me Emerald is better.

All in all, I would rate:

Red/Blue > Emerald > Yellow.

Now on the new ones, no thank you. Based on MMX's screenshot, it's completely changing the game's look, which I am not for at all. I love the look where you can see the world around you in that top down view.

I can honestly say the last Pokemon game I remotely enjoyed was Diamond/Pearl. They were not as good as I expected.

Was a really exciting time, definitely have me that buzz you're talking about.

With that in mind, I also loved Emerald. Went on and 100%'d it, then went back and played the originals. I found them to be equal, but personal nostalgia keeps telling me Emerald is better.

All in all, I would rate:

Red/Blue > Emerald > Yellow.

Now on the new ones, no thank you. Based on MMX's screenshot, it's completely changing the game's look, which I am not for at all. I love the look where you can see the world around you in that top down view.

I can honestly say the last Pokemon game I remotely enjoyed was Diamond/Pearl. They were not as good as I expected.

Wow, exactly what I think too.

I actually still have my gameboy colour, unfortunately my silver game doesn't save anymore, but my blue copy works great. It's still awesome to play.

I showed it to my cousin last summer, he's obsessed with Black and White, thought he might like to see where it all started. Nope! He looked at it for about a minute and picked up his ds!

You have to remember that while Pokemon is not just a young kids game, it is still made with them in mind.

10 year olds today weren't even born when it came out originally, and I think it's a wonderful opportunity to introduce them to it. In fact all the remakes have come at around a 10 year anniversary. Not to mention, missing Pokemon. While you can transfer from Gen III to Gen VI, it's a long tedious process I'm sure many people can't do. This fixes that.

It's only been the 3rd remake, not really sure what the problem is honestly.

I'm excited as hell. I'm hoping its a sequel of sorts more than a remake, but I'm happy either way. Will be getting AS as I had Sapphire originally. I hope the Mossdeep Space Center plays a bigger role.

I am so ready for this, I can't wait to give Hoenn another go! I could type an essay as to why it's completely justifiable to make. I loved Sapphire and Emerald a ton. Maybe I'll finally make a run through with Treeko this time around. I hope the Battle Frontier returns, I wished that were in X and Y.

I heard about this earlier today. Damn you, good games, why can't I have money for you!? There's way too much to buy this year. I loved emerald, so I'll probably get Omega Ruby. It is going to be on the X/Y engine, right? If so, that gives me a valid reason to buy it. If it was like FireRed/LeafGreen I wouldn't get them, but this, this actually is a full on remake.

This is probably at the bottom of my priority list for the time being, however.

On the topic of remakes, I actually thought Soul Silver and Heart Gold were some of the best in the series. I played SS almost more than I did any other game for quite some time, and this was after I was 'done' with pokemon... :P

Although I still have nostalgia for Crystal, which was my first. Then I played Red, Yellow, Silver, Gold, Blue, and then each folowing generation in order until Platinum. Stopped playing for a long time, and then picked up a Soul Silver and playe3d it heavily. Now I casually play from time to time. Never touched Black or White and beyond.

I don't see any big deal with game remakes honestly. I mean there's a big difference between a remake of a game 10 years later, and just reusing textures and game engines in a 'sequel', and 'remaking' a map from a multiplayer game for a DLC release in the next game 2 years later.

Entire game remakes can actually be quite nice. Same thing with movie remakes. 
It's a shame copyright is owner's life plus another 60 years or so (I think. I can't remember the additional time after death.)
They used to be set up to only last around 20 somethings years.

But that's another debate for another time. 

"Nostalgia is one of the great human weaknesses, second only to the neck." - Dwight Schrute

remake - to make something again or differently, Ex. iPhone 4 > iPhone 5

remix - to produce a different version by altering, Ex. Pokemon Green > Pokemon Red

remaster - to make a better quality, Ex. old '50's shows > old '50's shows in color

These games are being put into full-fledged 3D. They will have an added 300-400 pokemon and items and whatnot. They will have more features, new places, new activities. NONE of the terms above do it justice. And if some of you are going to whine that your time is wasted by a game existing you think should not for such dumb reasons…. I shall just remain here, disgusted. If they were re-packaging the exact same guns and plot into a certain FPS game, it'd be a more serious issue >.> , but Nintendo is actually making these games standalone titles no different than how Super Mario Bros. stood apart from Mario Bros.