Hi eveyone, I'd like to take the time to give everyone my personal opinion on the Black Ops 1 maps. So take the time to read and respond or dont. just thought I'd share it. First things first though.... **** please report this topic, post ****!   lol ,just a little inside joke for the folks who read my BOii reviews xD

Kino Der Toten - Probably everybody's favorite. Its the one map that got most zombie slayers into this game mode in the first place. To this day, I still enjoy playing it. Its got the simplicity many players feel deprived of ever since Tranzit was first released in November 2012. Yet it still offers some new(comparing to WAW) features, The amount of zombies per round now increase every round, new weapons, more great storyline progression, and the introduction of the noxious crawlers(sorry, forgot the name). The wonder weapon is simply incredible, making it a number one choice for high rounders. It balances its high power with limited ammo, which is great because overpowered weapons often can ruin a map (ahem, Buried...) The PAP machine location is in a pretty easy place to access which makes for quick PAPing, which means you don't have to stick to the two guns the entire game(ahem Mob of the Dead, ahem.) Some pretty nice traps are scattered throughout the map, including the return of electric traps, along with new ones like the fire trap and the two turrets. And a personal favorite part of this map is 115 by Elena, gotta love that song. Besides all the positivity here, I still gotta list some issues I have with Kino. It didn't progress at all since Der Riese. You'd think they'd have a bit more to show with this map, but its really nothing new. Der Riese had electric traps(like kino), teleporters(two more than kino has), a very small easter egg (well it was a little bigger than Kino's actually). Der Riese had hellhounds(Like Kino) So I'm not saying its a bad map in any way. I'm just saying that it wasn't exactly a step forward.Which maybe thats a good thing. I mean some people complain about how the maps are getting too comlex. Which is really true, but I happen to enjoy the complexity(with respect to the simplicity of WAW/early Black Ops) Anyways, back to Kino. I love the map, as does every zombie slayer I've met.

"Five" - One small step forward from Kino. Nice to see some progression here. However, Five is a map that I'm not a big fan of, Yet  I love the challenge of it. It's probably Treyarch's hardest map to date. Some positive notes: Um...kinda hard to find any, lol . I suppose the ability to hop through the windows on the lowest floor is good. Thats the type of freedom more maps should offer. But other than that...I like where the PAP machine is, its safe, but only for about a minute, then the zombies camping out the door will come in and...well you know. lol But it gives you time to PAP before being forced back out into what I say is the hardest map. Now, some negative notes: yes there is a lot, but I just wanna say I still respect the map, I'm just not a big fan of it(with respect to a little challenge now and then, I rarely play it) The characters are really lame, even there voices are so far off its not even funny. The boss zombie is sooooo annoying(so annoying to the point that I'll use glitching to avoid him, which is something I never do in zombies) "The scientist, He'll take your gun, but that's okay, he'll give you some ammo when he's done!" The tight corridors make training impossible, restricting only the main floor for training, oh wait theres four people? Oh well, I'm sure they'll be fine. lol. The Wonder Weapon is terrible. probably the worst one to date, with respect to the Jet Gun, which isnt a real wonder weapon by definition. Seriously, PAPing doesn't even do anything for the winter's howl. The electric traps, seriously? I can honestly say I've never used them. There in the worst place, unless you wanna take out 2 or 3 zombies for the price of 1000. Hell, I don't even bother getting the part for it anymore. lol. The easter egg song I don't really like, but thats just because I'm not a rap person. The explosion after you kill a crawler creates a giant green gas that you can't see around due to the tight spaces. etc etc etc. lol Now, I'm not the biggest fan of this map, but I do enjoy its challenge once in a while.

Ascension - Beleive it or not, I just played this map for the first time nearly 9 months after Origins was released. lolol. I can't say a whole lot about it. But I can say that I really enjoy it. The monkeys are a nice touch even though there kinda a pain in that they steal perks to easily and they are far too hard to kill.. The PAP location is pretty sick. This is the first map with an extensive easter egg that lets you take part in the storyline for the first time ever. This is the first time your able to acquire more than 4 perks, although it aint exactly easy. PHD flopper (a personal fav) makes its introduction.. I love the landers, there like teleporters but cooler. The launching of the missle is really cool, you can even shoot it down. Lots of training areas, The gerch device, Matryoshka dolls(which btw are one of the most damaging weapons in zombies, only surpassed by the Sliquifier(dont quote me on this, I think I heard that somehwere) The character dolls around the map are pretty funnny too.The sickle is a nice melee. Thats basically all I can say about it. My only issue is how strong the monkeys are. a little too overpowered on their part. Great map though. 

Call of the Dead - At first, its really friggin' hard, but once you get used to it, you can really appreciate CotD. At the time, it was the largest map  yet and had extra ways of transporting throughout the map once you unlocked new areas to make for easy access. The wonder weapon*s* are really good, well idk about the VR-11 because I've only used it a few times, each time it didnt seem tat great though. But the Scavenger can clear an entire wave of till round 35 (PAP'd) Romaro is really my only complaint, The most annoying boss ever. I mean, you shoot him ONCE by accident and he's gotta flip s**t around the map until you cool his a** off in some water. I do like how you can get perks off of him though by killing him, just might take all your ammo to do but you can always wait till you see a max ammo and then just spray Mustang and Sally at him and that'll do some pretty big damage. I just wish they didnt have him start running on the first time you shoot him, maybe after he takes a certain amount of damage, then he runs would be better. Another thing I love about this map, this is one of two maps, Origins being the other, that the easter egg iss doable on solo. I love that. But yeah, I gotta say its a great map. Its difficult like five, but has elements that can make it easier. A lot of people including myself compare this map to Mob of the Dead. ...not too shabby.

Shangri-La - A really interesting map with a great outdoors feel. The views are great which makes a better atmosphere, Aslo probably one of the hardest maps there is, yet still more enjoyable than five IMO. The EE lets you have all 7 (or was it 8?) perks and keep them even after a down which is cool, considering how hard the map is. I've heard a lot of hate on the baby maker, I mean i think its a decent WW. not the best, but certainly not the worst. The PAP location is really really cool and not too dangerous either. Idk why Treyarch decided to start doing the rotating Jugg with Speed Cola thing. I mean on this map its not a big issue, but on Moon its a huge problem(lets save that for later.) The napalm and screecher zombies are cool bosses. the napalm zombie is really annoying tbh thoug, but thats just because he's got all that swag in his slow walk. thats all. lol. Its a difficult map yet still really fun. I would make a suggestion if your about to take it on, Mustang and Sally go hand in hand with PHD Flopper. That way if you go around a tight corner and end up getting in a sticky situation, just shoot the floor around you and presto! lol anyways, great map.

Moon - Eh, its not terrible, but its not great either. I would say the cosmonaut almost single handedly.ruins this map, he takes your perks, he walks soo slowly so you cant go around him, and he takes almost as long as Romaro to kill on higher rounds. I enjoy the explosion he makes upon his death though. lol. I gota say though that this map was a huge progression from Treyarch, They really di go out with a bang on this map, the easter egg was one of my favorite ones ever, and what a reward it is  to have a permanent set of 8 perks. hell, you get to be on the moon slaugering endless waves of the undead, what more can u ask for?  the low gravity is something eally different for zombies gameplay. and if u dont like it then theres certain rooms to go to that have artificial gravity, assuming those pesky excavators dont get to them first..If I.m not mistaken this map introduced Mule Kick before the others had it? right? not too sure about that, but anyways. I love where PAP is. but i hate where jugg is, and to make it worse it alternates between SS and jugg every time you go back to NML. But other than that, I like Moon, its fun and a huge step forward for zombies. 

Thanks for your time reader and i apologize for any bad grammar! 

side not - up there i refernced BOii maps in negative ways, i meant no hate on BOii, i was just making a point . lol 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always love to read peoples takes on maps, see what they like, don't like.

I was amused by Kino being 'probably everone's favorite map', never heard that before.

As an avid zombie player, when BO released, most players opined that it was bland and boring after Der Riese, "five" at least was challenging.

Usually i hear Ascension or COTD is the best, when people opine on the maps. I set COTD as my favorite, but I'm not much good at favorites. I loved, Ascension, COTD, Shangri-La looks so cool to play on and the babymaker was a blast. I liked "five" for the challenge and Kino for it's ease.

Oddly, here at CODZ, many love Moon and call it the best map. Outside of CODZ, i have only ever heard extremely negative reviews from anyone for the obvious reasons.

Happy gaming!

Edited by 83457