Lightning staff is best for 97% of Origins players.

What a shocking title for some, but it is true.

Past 40, you zombie gods want the ice staff with the wind staff as a back up.

However, by my best calculations, 97+% of Origins players don't make it past 30, with less than 1% passing 40 (not counting players with less than 350 deaths as they aren't really zombie players, just people checking the game out).

My rationale:

A wonder weapon must do at least 1 of these 2 things; instantly clear the path/untrap you, and kill at high rounds when nothing else will.

So, remembering that most aren't making it past 30, let alone 40, the second part isn't as important to them and guns will still kill past 30, which they aren't making it to. But in a map like Origins, the first part is your key to survival.

So, let's look at the staves;

Fire: decent at the path clearing, bad in the long run. But it fires 3 shots in a tri-forked path, is harder to see while using it, andsometimes leaves burning not-quite-dead zombies blocking your path.

Wind: by the teens, it stops being useful at the first part, good at the second, but low on ammo.

Ice staff: best past 40, but the worst at the path clearing. Even upgraded, you can fire all 9 shots into a lone zombie who can still trap you and beat you down long before he freezes to death. This staff is garbage to most until past 30. If you are ready to argue with me over this, you are most likely a zombie god and are failing to see the reality that most will agree with me. This staff sucks at 'clear the path', you're just good enough to survive anyway. But don't discount that I'm speaking the truth.

Lightning staff: tops out around 45ish, but doesn't start needing 2 shots to clear the path until 28. Even then, 10 zombies will be cleared with 2 shots. By the low forties, only 5 will become crawlers at a time. That means that worst-case-scenario you need 12 shots to clear all 30ish zombies out of your way (and that's highly unlikely to happen), still leaving you with 6 shots still ready to go if needed.

The high ammo count, high ammo in magazine, ease of use, lack of wasting charged shots, ease of killing PS with easy to aim shots, and the fact that it should be impossible to get trapped by zombies until past 30, make this the obvious choice for 97+% of players.

So, you 3% (including me) who make it past 30, will use the ice staff to climb to new heights.

You 97% who can't imagine breaking 30, really need to pick up the lightning staff until you reach the level of ice staff use.

I posted this because many new players will come on to CODZ, read 'lightning staff sucks, ice is great' and then die at low rounds because the ice staff sucks ass at low rounds unless you are an amazing zombie player (or at least as good as old, blind 83457 is).

So yeah. All you wannabe zombie gods, pick up the lightning staff and get past 30 regularly before you start taking advice from the pros on ice staff use.

Thanks for reading, i really felt that this needed to be said.

Happy gaming!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always told people something similar to this.

In Co-op games where you don't expect to pass 40 or so, Lightning is always my favorite choice.

I think it is the easiest to build and upgrade (I have the switches memorized, and I actually play piano) and until it reaches the point where it no longer effectively kills, it seems to be the best at clearing and killing.

When it comes down to it, all the staves are pretty much very useful in 97% of games. Which is why I don't "call" a staff when I play with people. I'm just glad I get one.

You can still sit in a corner like right in front of Jug, shooting Ice blasts at the ground. Works for me.

Of course the Ice Staff is the best weapon in Origins for high rounds, but I still like it no matter when. It's my favorite.

You make a good point however that to a beginner, the Lightning would seem the easiest to use. I can definitely see that to someone who is still learning how to train or how to avoid dying every 3 rounds, this would be an ideal weapon.

Good post!

I prefer the ice staff.

Not because it will kill effectively at high rounds, but because by taking the ice staff I've ensured others of a better weapon (aside from whomever is holding the wind staff, may samantha have mercy on you! )

The trick to using the wind staff is to treat it like it was the only ww and is for special use. We are spoiled in that you can dig up mausers and ballistas which get you through round 6, then you can use a staff for the rest of the game.

Using wind, you have to treat it as a rare gift to be used; like firing it on the downed guy so you can pick him up. Using regular guns to get through most rounds.

For me, it's similar to the Zeus Cannon; i would train with it out in case of emergency, but rarely actually fired it. I made it to 46 Ascension (fell asleep playing) and still barely fired it, even going so far as to keep buying grenades off the wall and throwing them into the pack...

I prefer the ice staff.

Not because it will kill effectively at high rounds, but because by taking the ice staff I've ensured others of a better weapon (aside from whomever is holding the wind staff, may samantha have mercy on you! )

The trick to using the wind staff is to treat it like it was the only ww and is for special use.

Yep. Treat the Wind Staff like it's a Thundergun. That's what I do. It works.

Then you are ready grasshopper.

Many are not. :)

Hahaha!   idk why this tickled me so much but i almost had water come out of my nose

I've never really thought of it that way, but I totally agree.  And I think almost moer importantly than anything else for the inexperienced player is the high ammo in magazine.. that way missed shots are less penalizing when you can rapid fire.  Good thread though!

Yeah, most of my games are between 20-30 because either it gets boring (for the people I usually play, and for me as well) or someone has to leave, so I like using the Electric Staff. I have gotten past 50 and yeah the Ice Staff is best then, but I like the Electric one better. It is much more easier to get in and out of places to revive other players than any other staff in my opinion.  

• Administrators

People don't understand the brilliance of the Lightning Staff. Like you said Beast,  the average slayer looks to the most common weapon used by high-round runners and mimics it. When I hop into a ranodm match of Origins, the Ice and Fire Staves are usually the first to be claimed with the Wind and Lightning left at the mercy of some poor unfortunate soul. Luckily for me, I am that "poor unfortunate soul" to grab the Lightning Staff. 9/10 times will the others go down with me being the lone survivor of the round, still 100+ ammo in my staff.

The magazine size plus power should be good enough to consider it the best survival weapon. The Ice Staff may hold tremendous damage when charged, but that's only if:

- the staff is upgraded

- the area you're in is perfect for charged shots

- there is enough ammo for a solid charge

- the timing is correct to avoid slowed zombies attacking you

The Lightning, however, avoids all those rules without that use of a charged shot. Even if you let one loose, it's not costing you an arm or leg. Plus, it makes for a great weapon against the Panzer Soldat. Two or three shots into the face and voila - you've got a defeated Panzer by your feet.

Should I also mention how easy it is to upgrade the Lightning Staff? It may be a longer process than the Ice Staff, but it's not more complex. 

Nice to hear you weigh in IL.

I think people are catching on to 'turn the dials as you open the map' to have then ready for LS step 2.

The first part is memory;136.357.246.

The only one i still can't get without crib notes is part 1 ice staff. I can often get most of it, checking only a few, but still need help.

I get weird looks when i tell people; 'the wind staff? Yeah, left side circle, from inside to outside is:1,71,F7,.7'. But hey, it works for me.

P.S. And why is the last step still so forgettable? Maybe because it is the same for each? Maybe because it's uncomplicated? Hmmmm.

Happy gaming!

haha i forget to do the orb thing all the time, its terrible starting a round then realizing you have to grab the staff and head back out to do the orb. once and a while i remember to do it and when i do i usually try to line up the colours for the next staff i plan on doing.

haha i forget to do the orb thing all the time, its terrible starting a round then realizing you have to grab the staff and head back out to do the orb. once and a while i remember to do it and when i do i usually try to line up the colours for the next staff i plan on doing.

I'm so pathetic at this: whether i do the dials first or not, i tell myself 'can't forget the orb' then i finish step 2 of whatever staff and my brain blanks immediately...until the second i teleport into tcp. Probably 4 of 5 games, and there is no excuse at this point for me. Just senility kicking in.

I'm so pathetic at this: whether i do the dials first or not, i tell myself 'can't forget the orb' then i finish step 2 of whatever staff and my brain blanks immediately...until the second i teleport into tcp. Probably 4 of 5 games, and there is no excuse at this point for me. Just senility kicking in.

Omg, i am so glad i'm not the only person that does this.    Every other game at least I will finish the 2nd "puzzle" step and head to the crazy place only to find the podium isnt open yet lol