Non response responses

Chopper

Hey Guys,

This has been mentioned before and is a bug bear of a lot of members.

Non responses.  I'm talking about those 3 word lines you post;  'I agree', 'too funny' etc,

Add this response to the massive signatures that some have and it seems often that half the content I view, is meaningless.

This site should be better than that.  Obviously there is a place for some very short responses, but I think too many people are using them all over the place, dare I say it, just to up their post count or to be seen posting.

Please consider your responses, and whether they are actually adding something to the discussion.  If you agree with someone, don't just say that you agree, expand on the point and say why.  

Thank you.

Chopper

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

I agree (ironic post of the day). Although it is not a CoC issue I think thread topics are not getting the love they deserve either. It is easy to become relaxed in the down time and the long and detailed threads tend to fall to the wayside.  However, I think as members of the CoDZ community we owe our forum more than a second thought.

For most of us our threads and posts are our primary contribution to the forum.  Our words are the written personification of ourselves. When I am developing a new thread I take great pride in my work, and I give all aspects the attention they deserve.  I do this because this is how I am perceived by others, and I wish to be the very best Boom that I can be.  Now I’m sure most pale in comparison to the eloquent words of Perfect and Ehjookayted, or the incredible eye for the most minuscule details that MMX has displayed time and again. It is more likely that you have skills more on par with mine. Average vocabulary, average writing skills, ect. ect. The only differences between me and the folks who post one line threads are time and effort.

I have seen an uprising of threads where the entire OP is:

“What do you guys think Maxis is doing?”

You spent no more than a few seconds crafting this post. So why should we the readers take the time out to give our theories and opinions? This is my biggest gripe at the moment. So my plea to the community is to try and set the very best example of a CoDZ member we can. In our community a title doesn’t make you a leader; it’s the ability to motivate and inspire others through your hard work and dedication.  So get out there and make Ol’ Boomy proud!

Agree with both Chopper and Boom.

I have no problem with posts that contain funny remarks, or one-sentence agreements but please;

Let it be followed with at least one paragraph of your own input on the subject of the OP.

If all you want to do is congratulate, agree or dissagree with one (or more) post(s) and add nothing to the overall conversation of the thread said post was written in: use PMs.

Here's a golden rule I believe people should follow when writing threads where the main subject is gathering opinions from other users.

- Make sure that your OP is around the same in length and quality as that of an average response you are expecting to receive.

So please don't make a thread where you ask for my honest opinion and have only 2 sentences in the OP.

It makes you look unintentionally lazy and a lot of people - regardless of the question - might skip over your thread just for the fact that your OP was so lacking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm taking a page out of MMX's arsenal of disagreements: I don't think putting restrictions on replies is a good idea, or even suggest that it should be frown upon.

What essentially will happen is that less people will reply to topics if they cannot reply to the extent that is expected. "I agree with you" is a lazy way of replying and does promote a negative type of replying to the public. However, not everyone can be as fluent and effective as replyers as Boom and Slade. They basically redefine the term "replying to a topic". They are so good at replying they make your thread look amazing. But very few have their abilities.

If a person puts out a thread he or she spent numerous hours in and expects replies, but does it in a way not asking questions or stirring debates, this person will be disappointed with the lack of "I love it" or "I agree". For me, if I have to brainstorm my replies, I may not reply much at all.

Let's hope I'm at the minority at this.

This isn't a CoC issue, nor is anyone going to get warned or posts removed for doing this.

I never said that the staff require, just that I think this.  I understand your point Jay, but believe that there are a lot of people in the same boat as me on this.

Sure there are some threads where those short replies are useful, and even the point of the thread but on some of the more serious issues, and well thought of threads if you really agree, brain it rather than saying it.

I think the forums and threads look much less clustered like that, and are easier and more enjoyable to read.

I'll state again, this isn't something that we would ever moderate, more like suggest in hope, backed up by other members who feel the same.

• Administrators

Thank you for the compliment. However, I don’t believe Chopper is trying to discourage people from replying. (Oh he posted just now) He is simply asking for them to respond in a complete sentence at the very least. Even if it is just reiterating a point made in the OP. I think all our members have the capability to do so.

Also the expectation at least from my perspective is directed more towards seasoned members. The newbies need time to develop and hone their craft. As I stated above it is on us to pave the way.

I'm a thread spamming poster, but at least I'm verbose.

On the one side, posts make the site, the more people post, the better for the forum. However, empty posts really add little to the discussion: the worst aren't 'i agree' or 'disagree' but the ones with no punctuation, no clear question or no clear response.

Thoughts:

Think before you post: how do i want to convey my thought clearly?

Don't post mad: look at origins worst map post from today; the poster was clearly upset with Origins gameplay. There was no request for help, no proofreading, no thought put into his/her gripe, just rage posted. No offense meant to the poster, i tried to offer help. I just feel like they said their piece and i wonder if they'll ever visit again. I feel that if they had thought about their post, then posted while calm, they would have come at the problem from a 'can someone help me?' standpoint, getting better responses, rather than just opining away how bad Origins is. Besides, bitching at Trollarch is my job.

If the op posted something that really helped you, give them brains instead of 3 word praise.

Don't be shy: we all have our agree-ers and disagree-ers. Say your piece. If it is based on facts, it will be agreed with or you will learn how you were incorrect, learning is good. If you state opinion, that is fine too, just be respectful because, trust me, people will disagree.

Have a sense of humor, but understand that sarcasm and humor don't come across clear in text. So /sarcasm or even a smiley face keeps people from thinking that you're retarded, when really you were joking.

So, think, format, proofread, discuss, post.

Happy posting!

As someone with less than 1000 posts in nearly 4 years I suppose my position would be obvious :P

I have to agree that when there is a topic with a lot of replies I don't want to read meaningless posts (Though not all short posts are meaningless), I believe that the short relies of "I agree" are not necessary as we have a system that is designed specifically to do that, you give the post brains and then you can even enter a short message about why

• Administrators

Back in the day, this used to be called "post-pumping". I understand that people post with the best intentions and want to show their love to everything in the community, but if you are going to do so (as stated before), at least have the common courtesy to write a sentence with more than 3 or 4 words. We're a thought-provoking community, so I'm pretty sure busting out a sentence or two pertaining to the original topic is not incredibly difficult. ;)