Shi No Numa and Takeo: The Entwined History

• Administrators

*We're coming up on the four year anniversary of this thread (had to repost on new forum) so I've revamped it with new Der Eisendrache information, please read until end as much of the beginning is slightly incorrect now*

Shi No Numa and Takeo: The Entwined History

In World War II, there was a biological weapons research and human experimentation team known as Unit 731, and they had many compounds. One of the compounds was in the very southern parts of Pingfang, Manchuria, where their excuse for the facility's existence was that it was a lumber mill, so they had logs and wood everywhere. Rumor from around the compound is that they referred to their human specimens as "logs." In the Rebirth intel for the campaign, it states that there was "Japanese biological research in Manchuria on the part of the Imperial Army's covert R&D group Unit 731."

BGEmXTo.jpg

The Imperial Army was taking part in it, you say? Seems appropriate, seeing as Takeo Masaki is a Captain in the Imperial Army, judging by the stars on his uniform. Also note that Shi No Numa has wood all throughout the complex, not to mention The Flogger, made from wood. Some of you might say that there was no human experimentation going on inside Shi No Numa and that Takeo Masaki likely had no involvement in it, if it was there. However, I will kill two birds with one stone here and quote something from Takeo's biography, given by Treyarch:

The war was a perfect opportunity for Takeo to explore his blood-lust and study the nature of those less honorable than himself.

That sounds pretty disturbing to me, doesn't seem like a stretch for him to be involved in human experimentation. As noted in the Rebirth intel, it states there was Japanese research in Manchuria. However, some will point out that in Kino der Toten and on the Call of Duty website, quotes reference Shi No Numa as being in Japan, as opposed to where Manchuria was, which was China:

"I found another rock. Maybe they stole this from Japan..." - vox_plr_2_egg_pedastool_1

"... we've pinned what sounds like an SOS signal to a remote jungle location in Japan."

On the original thread, though, I feel as though AlphaSnake put it very clearly:

AlphaSnake said:

The Roman empire covered many lands, yet that land once conquered & occupied was considered Roman.

The same goes for any empire including the Imperial Japanese.

Then, in a Origins Letter from the Field, Takeo mentions that he fought in the "battle of Muken" and his "leadership & victory" had been brought to the Emperor's attention. Now, there's no such "battle of Muken" in World War I, so what it appears he's talking about is the "Battle of Mukden" that took place between the Japanese and Russians in 1905, which the Japanese coincidentally did get a victory. If you're curious what Mukden is, it was the capital of Manchuria, which puts Takeo in Manchuria.

aoUhRdJ.jpg

Two counterarguments that I can't reconcile are the sound files of the Kookaburra and Hyena, both of which aren't found in Manchuria, but can be found in New Guinea, as Matuzz points out in his thread (I can't locate the CoDz version).

DER EISENDRACHE EDIT

New information has recently come to light with Der Eisendrache. In a radio, we heard one Dr. Groph discussing a Division #9's more ambitious weapons designs (prior to discovering Element 115), so it was immediately assumed by me and many others that Division #9 meant Germany's own 9th SS Panzer Division. I mean after all, the SS has heavy Group 935 ties and the division is a Panzer division. Then, we got a cipher (partially) saying that "After the success at the Rising Sun Facility, Division #9 is moving with Phase #2" and that the "island facility" was also operational. Immediately, the frame switched from not a German 9th Division, but a Japanese one.

If that wasn't enough, it was found shortly thereafter that scraps of paper were littered through Der Eisendrache, each with Japanese writing on it. The translation is rough (reason in link above), but Takeo is writing to the Emperor and the very end mentions that he is now on the island. Additionally, he makes clear that Division #9 is present. @Matuzz, being the skilled theorist that he is, then went and found the Imperial Army's 9th Division (and wow). Their 9th Division went to both the Battle of Mukden in 1905 and were permanently re-located to Manchuria in 1940.

I may have been off about the initial Unit 731 information four years ago, but I seemed to be on the right track with Manchuria! Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed, 

• Like 3

Brings back memories of when I was completely against the idea of it being nowhere else but japan, due to it clearly saying Japan. Well, I still believe it's Japan because I still don't think Japan means all the lands they conquered during the war, for various reasons, but I'm not going to argue it because everyone else seemed to put me down last time, and I admit I got kind of wrapped up in the argument as well.

Still, fun memories and a good theory over all, but the word choice as well as the fact that it was still called Manchuria, though under a puppet government by the japanese, so it technically it wouldn't be classified under the Japanese empire. The other logic behind the mukden battle and the experiments make perfect sense to me, though

Well, I guess I kinda did argue it  :( Oh well, I won't debate it quite like I did last time. Also, I think we can honestly rule out the animal sounds. Often times those are just that, random animal sounds.

EDIT: also, the SOS signal quote comes from post war, doesn't it? I can't remember. If it does then it would definitely be Manchuria regardless of all else.

• Administrators

Brings back memories of when I was completely against the idea of it being nowhere else but japan, due to it clearly saying Japan. Well, I still believe it's Japan because I still don't think Japan means all the lands they conquered during the war, for various reasons, but I'm not going to argue it because everyone else seemed to put me down last time, and I admit I got kind of wrapped up in the argument as well.

Still, fun memories and a good theory over all, but the word choice as well as the fact that it was still called Manchuria, though under a puppet government by the japanese, so it technically it wouldn't be classified under the Japanese empire. The other logic behind the mukden battle and the experiments make perfect sense to me, though

Well, I guess I kinda did argue it  :( Oh well, I won't debate it quite like I did last time. Also, I think we can honestly rule out the animal sounds. Often times those are just that, random animal sounds.

EDIT: also, the SOS signal quote comes from post war, doesn't it? I can't remember. If it does then it would definitely be Manchuria regardless of all else.

Haha, last time we filled up 5 pages of debate on this topic, I just got finished looking through it all and man were we stubborn! I really did appreciate all the debate, I think it's a necessary part :) As for your question regarding the SOS, we never really came to a conclusion. The Treyarch post states "the war" was "demanding every ounce of strength we can muster," but when we worked out the timelines, I think we said that this SOS couldn't have originated until after the war ended, if I remember correctly.

We really were stubborn, no one wanted to give in. I only did because if we didn't stop friendships would be ruined forever, and I think the thread probably would've been locked. I might have to reread that just to see how bad it was.

As for the SOS, hm... It definitely brings up weird points. We definitely need to take those with a grain of salt either way. SNN itself does take place months after the war as well, so it doesn't make sense, though it would definitely point closer to Manchuria, or possibly a close by island to Japan due to no battles actually being fought in Japan's heartland involving America.

• Administrators

We really were stubborn, no one wanted to give in. I only did because if we didn't stop friendships would be ruined forever, and I think the thread probably would've been locked. I might have to reread that just to see how bad it was.

As for the SOS, hm... It definitely brings up weird points. We definitely need to take those with a grain of salt either way. SNN itself does take place months after the war as well, so it doesn't make sense, though it would definitely point closer to Manchuria, or possibly a close by island to Japan due to no battles actually being fought in Japan's heartland involving America.

Here's the old thread for ya :)http://callofdutyzombies.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?13906-Shi-No-Numa-is-in-China-Nikolai-was-Captured-There/
  • 8 months later...

Here's the old thread for ya :)http://callofdutyzombies.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?13906-Shi-No-Numa-is-in-China-Nikolai-was-Captured-There/

@Tac @ZombieOfTheDead - ACTUALLY, here's the old thread for yas (tac's link was broken)  :D http://www.callofdutyzombies.com/forum/index.php/topic/173591-shi-no-numa-is-in-china-nikolai-was-captured-there/

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
On 04/02/2016 at 1:32 AM, Tac said:

Absolutely @PINNAZ, with Stalingrad after that for Nikolai.

Great thread needs an update for ZNS

On 04/02/2016 at 0:47 AM, PINNAZ said:

With the completion of the Der Eisendrache EE, I think we need to collect Takeo's soul from Nan Madol, Pohnpei.

Pohnpei was under Japenese control during WW2

Black Ops 3 is exciting times for this story. 

Hit the nail here.

Regards Alpha.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators
On ‎4‎-‎3‎-‎2014 at 4:24 AM, Tac said:

Then, we got a cipher (partially) saying that "After the success at the Rising Sun Facility, Division #9 is moving with Phase #2" and that the "island facility" was also operational.

Zetsubou No Shima gave us lots of information about this. But also these two ciphers: SPOILERS ALERT I DONT KNOW HOW TO HIDE TEXT SO THE FOLLOWING SENTENCES INCLUDE SOLVED CIPHERS:

"I shut down the power for the night. we must conserve the gasoline, so i am told, because the Emperor is in doubt of the usefulness of our research here at the Rising run Facility, and that resupplying the facility will now occur every other month rather than our usually scheduled weekly drops. Hopefully, the new meteor site produces higher grade samples, ones we can actually use. Wait is that a plane I hear. The resupply is not scheduled for another week. I see a bright light in the sky..."

This is probably written by a Division 9 member in the Rising Sun Facility. The Emperor doesn't think the investigating of 115 is usefull, and reduces the resupplies. But then we got this cipher:

"While the loss of the Rising Sun Facility was unfortunate, the Emperor was so impressed with our final results that he has approved the construction of the new Division 9 facility on the island we selected. He assured me personally that he will spare no expense in advancing our research. You and I both know that what we accomplish at this new facility will win the war for Japan."

Somehow, the Rising Sun Facility is gone (abandonned, destroyed, captured, I don't know what happened). But Division 9 did their job: The Emperor is convinced that their technology with 115 will help Japan win the war. So let a new facility built for them: Zetsubou No Shima. Finally, we've got this cipher:

"Although we have tried to eliminate him making it seem as if he were killed in an accident, he has managed to escape every time by some miracle. The fact that he is regarded as a hero by the commoners is unbearable, and it shall eventually led to the existence of myself being questioned. He taints the commoner’s belief in myself, I who should be held in the highest regard by them. But it is no longer necessary for me to bear this suffering any longer. I have given the order to the operatives in the 9th division/plant/facility. They must not let Masaki Takeo leave the island alive."

This is written by the Emperor about Takeo Masaki. He hates Takeo, but Takeo is a hero for the Japanese citizens? I don't know what to think of this cipher, but looking at this post you made it seems you have a good sight at the story of Takeo and Division 9. Whatcha think?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

This is interesting. I'm curious as to why the Rising Sun Facility was "lost." A few things come to mind. One is that the less frequent supply drops somehow spelled doom for the facility, or that this mysterious plane and bright light is the cause. One that I enjoy thinking about, though, is Zombies. Who knows what "the final results" were (I'm sure it could be figured out, but that's for another post), but it involved Element 115 and seems to have taken place at Shi No Numa. I don't know if that means the zombies that Division 9 created (if they did, that is) took over the site but the Emperor was impressed by them? I don't think it is, but I at least want to lay out everything going through my head.

As for Takeo, it's really interesting. For some reason he is heralded as a hero by their society, which I assume has to do with his family's very honorable history (see: SNN bios) and his war victories. As for why this would lead to the Emperor being questioned I'm unsure, but I'd chalk it up to general paranoia and not wanting anyone else to be the center of attention. Perhaps his family has a history of causing trouble or something, but at this point it's too much speculation for me to go further haha. I'll look into it a little more and see what I can find :)

• Like 1