Zombification Discussion Thread

Slade

Why were the user bars put up on the site even though they are unfinished?

As I said earlier, I think Tac's suggestions of either Zombie Overlord or Overlord of Zombies might be better now. Seeing "Zombie God" on my profile I now think might rub people the wrong way.

I'm only saying it because its probably easier to change the Astro-Zombie text to Cosmonaut, than change the Cosmonaut userbar to Astro-Zombie than uploading it.

They're both acceptable terms IMO, it's just that every other userbar text matches the rank text underneath it as far as I can tell. Just think they should be the same personally.

Whatever is chosen for the last rank, an image of the MPD could be shown as the userbar? Or perhaps an image of a red eyed, blue eyed, yellow eyed and orange eyed zombie?

So we have to have an incorrect name due to presumed laziness? I'm sure Slade is perfectly capable of changing the text. I'm sure he still hasn't thrown away all the PSD files. Cosmonaut is NOT an acceptable term. If it is an acceptable term because one character incorrectly calls it a name other than what all the other characters call it, then we should change Zombie to Meat-Bag-Gut-Sacker.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why were the user bars put up on the site even though they are unfinished?

I didn't say they were all unfinished.

Much like the perks shields/bottles/tallies, the best way of seeing if these will look great or not in the end, is to test them all out.

Like Lithium said; the bars are temporary for now, we're testing them and gathering feedback from everyone all to make the final product that much better.

So we have to have an incorrect name due to presumed laziness? I'm sure Slade is perfectly capable of changing the text. I'm sure he still hasn't thrown away all the PSD files. Cosmonaut is NOT an acceptable term. If it is an acceptable term because one character incorrectly calls it a name other than what all the other characters call it, then we should change Zombie to Meat-Bag-Gut-Sacker.

I have always been taught that Astronaut was the wrong term and космонавт - Cosmonaut was the right term.

I've looked it up and the result was pretty interesting.

Cosmonaut was a term used by the Russians during the Space Race while the Americans used the term Astronaut.

That explains why Nikolai calls them Cosmonauts and why I thought that was the correct term (I'm Russian)

In the end, I think the difference between Astronaut and Cosmonaut is so minimal, that we can safely say that both terms acceptable.

That's what I think.

I still have all the photoshop files (and I assume Lithium has as well) so we can always change the text.

• Administrators

Figuring out the names is a balancing act. We need to find ones that everyone is comfortable using. We've got the debates about Cosmonauts, Gas Zombies, Pentagon Thief, Zombie God, etc., because at the end of the day, we'll be picking and choosing between their actual file names and what we've deemed them to be. We can either choose one, the other , or a combination of the two, but that needs to be decided.

Cosmonaut could be Astro-Zombie

Pentagon Thief could be Pentagon Technician or based on the file name, Electrician

Gas Zombie could be Nova 6 Crawlers, or Gas Crawlers

Director could be George A. Romero

Cerberus could be Beast

Ghost Lady could be Sarah Faraday

There's many options, it's a balancing act. In regards to Zombie God, my personal opinion is that we've been throwing around the term Lucifer on the site and they use the term god in the game, so I don't see an issue with using "God of Zombies" given the context, however I can see how it could rub someone the wrong way. I'd like to get multiple people's takes on it who are religious and see how they feel.

There's many options, it's a balancing act. In regards to Zombie God, my personal opinion is that we've been throwing around the term Lucifer on the site and they use the term god in the game, so I don't see an issue with using "God of Zombies" given the context, however I can see how it could rub someone the wrong way. I'd like to get multiple people's takes on it who are religious and see how they feel.

Meh.  I don't care.  It's not that big of a deal.  Just a game.  

Also, who the heck is Sarah Farraday?

Figuring out the names is a balancing act. We need to find ones that everyone is comfortable using. We've got the debates about Cosmonauts, Gas Zombies, Pentagon Thief, Zombie God, etc., because at the end of the day, we'll be picking and choosing between their actual file names and what we've deemed them to be. We can either choose one, the other , or a combination of the two, but that needs to be decided.

Cosmonaut could be Astro-Zombie

Pentagon Thief could be Pentagon Technician or based on the file name, Electrician

Gas Zombie could be Nova 6 Crawlers, or Gas Crawlers

Director could be George A. Romero

Cerberus could be Beast

Ghost Lady could be Sarah Faraday

In this world exists absolute truths. Not relative ones. We do not need to agree on what the populace thinks is best, because the populace is often misinformed thanks to influences like youtube and the CoD Wiki. We are supposed to be above that on CoDz and have the correct info.

Regardless of what you "say", they are unfinished.

Case in point:

<-

Yes your rank is unfinished.

As you know, Zombie God is the final rank. 

We're making sure everyone who reaches 5000+ posts will be getting something special.

That's why it's taking longer than others.

So I don't see what your point is.

Like Jumping Jacks?

If I'm not mistaken Jimmy or Rez actually approved that name.

Deciding on names like Cosmonaut or Astronaut - Gas Zombies or Crawler Zombies is hard.

I might just make a poll and we'll see what everyone thinks are the best names.

...and the debating begins.

Now, I'm trying to think of something in-game we could use to establish a rank based on post count that won't be as debatable. Hmmmm? What could that possibly be? Something we know the name of and is irrefutable, something that is paramount to the game of zombies, something not yet represented on this site...Perks, maybe?  :P

Enough.

I'm not letting fallacies and generalization of examples bring this thread down.

Eternal, if you want to talk about perks, do so in Grill's thread.

Right now we have two  still undecided situations,

the Zombie God and the Cosmonaut.

I'll change the Cosmonaut to Astro-Zombie, because that's what it's called in the gamefiles. And Astronaut is a correct worldwide used term for a member of a spacecraft.

Once I'm done with the Zombie God bar, I'll post a bunch of them. All the same but each with a different title (God of Zombies, Zombie Overlord, etc. etc)

Then you can see which one's the best, and we'll go with that one.

They're both different.  Same model, completely different enemy.  I guess there's the possibility that they evolved, as we see a medium of both in Moon, but still.  

Also MMX, there are not always absolute truths in this game.   Half of this game it seems was made by the community.  Why do you think we went to Moon?  The community told them to during Der Riese.  Why do we have Samantha?  The community.  

A name isn't bad just because the community came up with it.  To ignore community names and instead go for massive generalizations is weak at best.  Any game I play I hear the gas zombies called "Crawlers" or "Nova 6 Crawlers."  I RARELY hear someone refer to them as "gas zombies".  And everyone calls the boss on Moon the Cosmonaut.  Even randoms.  

If there is an alternative that is legitimately backed with evidence, I say let's use it.  But right now, go with the common name used by the community if it is not backed up by in game evidence.  Let's not be so stickler that we forget the point of this is to have another fun thing on the forum.  If we have something wrong, then Treyarch can correct us.  But until then, community names should be used.

I understand why Murder is against names 'made up' by the community.

Community names bring with them a lot of debate, because a name you like I might not and vice-versa.

Like Grill said, please bring that discussion someplace else.

Sounds good.

Slade, in your list you have Gas Zombie / Jumping Jack. Which is the one being used?

I'm still designing the Jumping Jack. But I'm leaning towards that one because it's an evolved version of the Gas Zombie.

But that's just my opinion so ultimately it'll come down to whichever one is designed best.

A name isn't bad just because the community came up with it.  To ignore community names and instead go for massive generalizations is weak at best.  Any game I play I hear the gas zombies called "Crawlers" or "Nova 6 Crawlers."  I RARELY hear someone refer to them as "gas zombies".  And everyone calls the boss on Moon the Cosmonaut.  Even randoms.  

If there is an alternative that is legitimately backed with evidence, I say let's use it.  But right now, go with the common name used by the community if it is not backed up by in game evidence.  Let's not be so stickler that we forget the point of this is to have another fun thing on the forum.  If we have something wrong, then Treyarch can correct us.  But until then, community names should be used.

This. Brains to you Fated.

Guys, I appreciate the debate - but this thread is not the place for it.  I think it would be highly beneficial for one of you to make an "absolute truths" thread to hash it out - but please enough of this back and forth.

We're not debating truths. We're debating which userbars should be used and by what name/title they should be referred and illustrated as. A simple idea is to redesign with no text and clear up the actual character model, bring it to the center and let it speak for itself. Another idea that someone else came up with is for the somewhat indeterminable or debatable characters let the user have their choice of X different characters at that level. Shouldn't be a difficult script to write for the latter, just after the user makes the post that puts them into that tier, they get a message from website to choose. If they want to change their choice, they can request it in the Support forum. 

This thread is absolutely the place to discuss this and the back and forth you mention is just that: discussion.

Thanks, I've heard enough and made up my mind on how to best handle this.

We can go back and forth forever discussing which names are suitable and which aren't but in the end, it comes down to personal preference.

There's no right or wrong with all these 'community names'.

Without actual examples to look at, there's no point in continuing this discussion.

If you still have something to say about certain names, do so in pms.

I'm going to finish the designs, put them all in the OP and post another poll asking which of the names suggested by our users you think are the best.

The ones with the most votes will be finalized and used.

This thread is absolutely the place to discuss this and the back and forth you mention is just that: discussion.

Yes this is a thread for discussion, discussion that is being hindered by the topic of absolute truths.  The back and forth I mentioned implies that we are hearing the same opinions back and forth - yet it is not leading us anywhere near the goal.  Meanwhile, Slade is trying his best to move the topic along - yet people continue to drag the issue through the mud.

I'm locking this topic so Slade can actually get some work done.  I'll unlock it when there are actual new items to discuss and new poll options.  I really didn't want it to come to this, but clearly some people just can't "drop it".

Slade - just send me a PM when you'd like this topic unlocked  :P

I'm not doing this to be a dick, I'm doing this so Slade/Infest can get stuff done AND THEN you can give your feedback on it.

Thanks again, GRILLz.

Updated OP with the complete tier list. 

Also finally unveiled the final rank.

Unfortunately, poll's bugged (at least for me). 

So if you could shoot me a PM with your choice, that'd be great.

These look great guys! Don't really understand why "Cerberus" was chosen (lol it's not even a zombie boss), but it just feels like we're splitting hairs at this point.

I voted for Announcer because that makes more sense than any of the other options. "Aether God" would seem the most logical name as that's what Samantha, Richtofen, and Maxis became, but again it's splitting hairs.

I was gonna make this big deal on how the names aren't technically right, but then I just went on living my life...

• Administrators

It's between God of Zombies and Announcer for me, but I've gotta go with God of Zombies. Thanks for making these guys!

EDIT: I'd like to see the final tier be 10,000+ posts, the ole 5 numbers, ranked like this:

1. Human (0 - 75)

2. Zombie (75 - 150)

3. Gas Zombie (150 - 250)

4. Denizen of the Forest (250 - 500)

5. Hellhound (500 - 1000)

6. Space Monkey (1000 - 1500)

7. Napalm Zombie (1500 - 2500)

8. Pentagon Thief (2500 - 3750)

9. Astro Zombie (3750 - 5000)

10. Brutus (5000 - 6000)

11. Panzer Soldat (6000 - 7000)

12. George Romero (7000 - 8000)

13. Agarthan Zombie (8000 - 9000)

14. Cerberus (9000 - 10000)

15. Zombie Overlord (10000+)

I like the tier list, the order is great! The only images missing from the OP are Gas Zombies, Astro-Zombies, Hellhound, and Brutus, correct?