Zombification Discussion Thread

Slade

I'll be very clear and straight-forward with you.

From reading your posts, the first thing that comes to my mind is that you've likely skipped or rejected 50% or more of everything that's been posted by others.

Interesting analysis. I recall reading about the userbars and most of the discussion was about which characters to use and their respective post counts. Someone...I think it was Grill who first asked for suggestions to replace the stars. I'm really not sure which came first, but I checked into the star replacement thread and it was a tremendous idea, tallies, perks, or shields. The same people were engaged in this discussion, the lines blurred between userbars and star replacement. Creating another thread only increased the confusion because it was the same discussion, all taking place in that same little area. Honestly, that's a poor effort to end debate by saying, "There's another dead thread out there. Sure all the discussion moved here, but technically..." 

However, taking into account the popularity of the userbars. I always advocated using them both. I agree it would look cluttered, especially with the shields, but not with bottles or tallies. If userbars is what the community wants and Admin is saying it's too cluttered with anything else, fine. Paint me black and cast me out. We all have our opinions, but when you attack my character expect me to retort and don't be naive enough to think I'll remain pleasant. 

My biggest complaint is not of what graphic we use, at this point, but it's the incessant silencing and censorship of discussion. Just to appease your "thread appropriations" I will post a duplicate in Grill's thread, but who are we kidding? The discussion moved here. Brilliant Idea to create 2 threads talking about the same thing, but I digress...

As it stands now. We need to add an opt-out feature. I don't want the userbar taking away from my avatar at all.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@eternal: I'm moving on from this. Regardless of whatever my (or anyone's) moderator action is, someone will always cry censorship and silencing - rather then realizing it's for the greater good. When I locked this thread, I suggested you create a different one for discussing absolute truths. Did you? No. So to me, it seems you didn't even care enough to carry the discussion elsewhere - which meant it wouldn't have mattered anyway, and would have just created an argument further detracting from "getting shit done".

Frankly I think it's BS claiming that 2 threads are more confusing then one - they are two different discussions, just centered around post count and prestige. One discussion is about how to physically represent the rank (icons), and the other discussion is how to metaphorically represent the rank (userbars). How is that confusing? You didn't need to double post, your post has barely any relevance in the icons thread. I don't see why we can't be positive about this, rather then being so negative.

And with that I'm done arguing. It sucks we couldn't find a better way to implement the icons, and if you said you supported both - I don't understand why you would suddenly not be supporting the userbar and wanting an opt out feature.

Switching to relevant topics:

@slade: here's what I'm thinking for the brains count

10. Brutus (2000 - 2500 + 10 brains)

11. Panzer Soldat (2500 - 3000 + 20 brains)

12. George Romero (3000 - 3500 + 30 brains)

13. Agarthan Zombie (3500 - 4000 + 40 brains)

14. Cerberus (4000 - 5000 + 50 brains)

15. Announcer (5000+ + 100 brains)

Does that seem too high? I want it to be like Tac said, something that will take some serious time & commitment to works towards.

That ranking seems reasonable. 2000 posts in, they should have at least 10 brains. But is there a way for it to automatically distinguish your brains count? Say I have over 5000 posts but 99 brains. Would the system know not to switch over to Announcer once I have 5000 posts but 99 brains. And will it know when to switch over when I get another brain? Basically can the system incorporate brains automatically as well or will you have to physically change it?

I think we may have to physically change it - which could be a pain, but it is worth it in the long run. Plus, the people achieving those ranks will be fairly small. Shouldn't be too hard to manage the switches.

Let's ask the master though - what say you, Craig?

• Administrators

With the current setup of 5000 posts being max, I think 100 brains is okay. I keep failing to remember that getting brains doesn't come in packets of 10 anymore, a brain is just a single brain.

Note: I'm a huge advocate for making these requirements stricter. I feel like each should be doubled (10,000 and 200). However, that's neither here nor there as that's beating a dead horse, seeing as I posted that earlier, so please don't respond to this portion, just wanted it to be heard, not necessarily replied to.

• Tech Admin

I think we may have to physically change it - which could be a pain, but it is worth it in the long run. Plus, the people achieving those ranks will be fairly small. Shouldn't be too hard to manage the switches.

Let's ask the master though - what say you, Craig?

I'm running for the hills, don't bring me into this ffs :D

Seriously though, these are two different systems that are default forum systems. Currently as it stands they work independently from one another, post count v's rank are not tied in anyway, shape or form. So the simple answer to this, is manual intervention is required.

Secondly, when user/post count and topics/posts are recounted, and caches are synchronized so are is the reputation count. So if it "brains" is artificially inflated in anyway shape or form, then they would be recounted to what has actually been awarded. Simple solution is, don't recount brains.

I don't want to tie these two together, purely for the simple fact it is a default feature within the forum and may be hindered with future upgrades, making the work done to integrate them pointless and would need to be redone "potentially". You'll all remember that the PHPBB forum had a lot of add ons, that broke, a lot of edits would have been required to the core forum code, which is likely why it broke and hence the difficulty in recovering brains and zombiefication and so forth.

So keep it simple, manually add brains by whatever incrimentation required. We curently have it set to 1 brain, 1 brain point - this can be change to 10, 20, 30 for example as well.

Craig, I don't think we need to tie them together in order for this to work.

I imagine the current reputation system works a bit like this:

If post_count >= 100 & < 200

{rank = 2}

All we need to do is add in the brain points.

If post_count >=100 & <200 & brain_count >= 10

{rank=2}

This way you only have to change the way the reputation system works in terms of requirements needed.

Namely by adding one more value - the brains.

I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination; so please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Administrators

I say leave the brains out of it.

Or have a seperate reward for them.

Disagree, that will only promote post pumping. Quality over quantity, unless you are at a buffet.  Also what does this mean for the prestige medals? Will they be retired or will both be available?

I say leave the brains out of it.

Or have a seperate reward for them.

Disagree, that will only promote post pumping. Quality over quantity, unless you are at a buffet.  Also what does this mean for the prestige medals? Will they be retired or will both be available?

But

Post pumping is life.

But alright, agreed.And yes, Whats gonna happen with them?

I say leave em.Cant have too many medals.

• Tech Admin

Craig, I don't think we need to tie them together in order for this to work.

I imagine the current reputation system works a bit like this:

If post_count >= 100 & < 200

{rank = 2}

All we need to do is add in the brain points.

If post_count >=100 & <200 & brain_count >= 10

{rank=2}

This way you only have to change the way the reputation system works in terms of requirements needed.

Namely by adding one more value - the brains.

I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination; so please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You would basically be looking at adding if statements into the code for the post count incrementation, which isn't an issue persay and something that can be done. The problem is that is a massive change to the core functionality of the forum code for the reputation system (brains) and the rank system (zombiefication). Now if a modification existed that doesn't touch the core forum code that does this, then yeah why not (none exist bwt, already looked). Modifying the core forum code and keeping a note of the modifications that are already done, versus new modifications to the source code is a pain in the arse and if security patches come out and upgrades come out that need to amend how it works in anyway shape or form, it can potentially break the system.

I don't mind either way but I'm against editing the source code unecessarily and this isn't necessary, we can do it manually without any issues occurring in the future.

So just to clarify, Craig - you are saying that manual implementation of those ranks wouldn't be difficult. Like it's automated by post count until rank 10, then people have to submit a "rank up request" to us for levels 10-15. Honestly I think that would be the way to go.

I really want brains to accompany zombification's later levels. Post pumping should not make you an "Announcer", your knowledge of zombies and interaction with the zombies community on the topic of zombies should make you an "Announcer".

I agree it's a little redundant having zombification ranks displayed through userbars, alongside prestige ranks displayed through medals, but I honestly love the medals to death and don't want to get rid of them, AND I love the userbars.

How about this:

I think the happy medium is just to refer to the userbars as overall "Zombification", and instead of saying "ranks 1-15" we can say "Levels 1-15". How does that sound? That way, your zombification level is displayed through your avatar userbar, and your prestige rank through your medal. Is that still too redundant? Lemme know,

• Administrators

Agreed long live the medals! Looking over this Brains requirements again, I believe it should be increased. I already qualify for that mak rank Brains-wise and we are only in month two of the system. It will give some of our older members something to work for.

We're talking about the brains requirements for the userbars, right?

I think the happy medium is just to refer to the userbars as overall "Zombification", and instead of saying "ranks 1-15" we can say "Levels 1-15". How does that sound? That way, your zombification level is displayed through your avatar userbar, and your prestige rank through your medal. Is that still too redundant? Lemme know,

This is perfect.

I really want brains to accompany zombification's later levels.

Here's an idea.

If we take out the Announcer and put in another boss like the shrieker.

Then we can have 15 levels of 'normal' Zombification that you can reach simply by posting.

And the final 5, our original heros (Dempsey, Nikolai, Takeo, Richtofen) + Announcer all need a certain amount of brains in order to obtain them.

• Administrators

I really want brains to accompany zombification's later levels.

Here's an idea.

If we take out the Announcer and put in another boss like the shrieker.

Then we can have 15 levels of 'normal' Zombification that you can reach simply by posting.

And the final 5, our original heros (Dempsey, Nikolai, Takeo, Richtofen) + Announcer all need a certain amount of brains in order to obtain them.

I LOVE THIS IDEA.