*update* 4-28-14 New Black Ops 2 MP weapon camos - possible MP camo version of Mob of the Dead PAP camo!?

Each camo is basically a couple of files with a texture node web of squares with lines connecting to other squares. Changing what it looks like is as simple as changing some of the values in some of the squares. They literally probably made it look different simply because they could, and they thought this looked cool.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't know why Treyarch bother with camo's.

They know deep down that they'll get more money from the Zombies fanbase if they release new/old maps.

Especially since BO2 zombies is dead, it'd be awesome if they made Grief on "Five" (JFK vs Castro anyone?) or whatever.

The camos are nice, but some zombies players don't even play MP, even then some MP players have a camo they're dead set on using on every gun, like mine is Party Rock (As I bought it on release and as I had about 400 MS points spare at the time), the 115 is a good one, looks beautiful on the pistols but all my money is going towards actual DLC, that deserves my money.

EDIT: Also, out of every Xbox game I've played, BO2 is the only one that uses micro transactions, which IMO is a greedy way to grab money.

Left 4 Dead doesn't have any micro transaction DLC.

Red Dead Redemption doesn't have any micro transaction crap.

Nor Dead Rising 2.

The list can go on for ages. But you get the point.

Edited by TheNathanNS

I really don't know why Treyarch bother with camo's.

They know deep down that they'll get more money from the Zombies fanbase if they release new/old maps.

Especially since BO2 zombies is dead, it'd be awesome if they made Grief on "Five" (JFK vs Castro anyone?) or whatever.

The camos are nice, but some zombies players don't even play MP, even then some MP players have a camo they're dead set on using on every gun, like mine is Party Rock (As I bought it on release and as I had about 400 MS points spare at the time), the 115 is a good one, looks beautiful on the pistols but all my money is going towards actual DLC, that deserves my money.

EDIT: Also, out of every Xbox game I've played, BO2 is the only one that uses micro transactions, which IMO is a greedy way to grab money.

Nor Dead Rising 2.

You say that micro dlc's are greedy, like treyarch is trying to screw everybody with them.  Customization is something people obviously like.  If you don't like it you don't have to buy it/. very very simple and not at all greedy.

If you think that micro dlc's are greedy, then you mus think side items on a  restaurant menu are greedy. 

Maybe it's the average age of the CodZ user that causes this to be such a difficult concept, but activision is a business.  Businesses want to make money.  If the business didn't try to make money, they would go OUT of business. 

Asserting that 3arc/atvi would make more money from a map pack?  probably true!  mcdonalds would make more money by selling better quality product as well.  but the inhibiting factor is the cost.

3arc has obviously decided (correctly i might add)  that there is more to gain from releasing micro dlc personalization packs, than from a full on map pack. (the margins are going to be higher because the cost to make a camo / reticles is so low, that profit margin is higher thus putting more money in atvi's pocket)  a younger person may see this as greedy.  A rational adult sees it as smart business

not meant to be offensive, but this argument comes up so often that activision is greedy, but if they made worse business decisions, we could say bye bye to CoD altogether

Nor Dead Rising 2.

Listing three games released years ago before the micro transaction trend started is pointless.

Also the game in your sig has micro transactions, but yeh.

GTA V doesn't have micro transactions. Yet anyway.

Cash cards don't count, as they don't add anything. All the DLC's too have been free.

2010 isn't that long ago. I'm not saying they don't have DLC, but the above games listed have large amounts of well put out DLC.

Valve knew that putting the L4D1 campaigns in L4D2 would be a good idea. It turned about to be a great idea and they even made a corssover map where the L4D1 characters met the L4D2 characters.

I'm sure Treyarch could make something work with MOTD and Origins since those are the only 2 maps that have a wildly different story from what we know and love.

Going for these camos again, if you're skilled in Photoshop, it doesn't take a genius to make a decent pattern.

the discussion about the ethics of micro-DLC doesn't belong here. It could, however, be a good topic for a different thread.

there's no discussion to be had, it's optional content.  no ethical dilemma whatsoever

now maybe a discussion of the effectiveness of the marketing strategy? i guess that could be discussed but ethics certainly doesn't play any part here

Now if they claimed the DLC camo's made your guns more powerful when they actually didn't? false calims, thus an ethics discussion

GTA V doesn't have micro transactions. Yet anyway.

Cash cards don't count, as they don't add anything. 

Cash cards 100% count, buying in game currency is a micro transaction.

2010 was a long time ago in terms of gaming, 4 years ago you would struggle to find any game outside of a few MMO's that had micro transactions, it's a current market trend.

You're also comparing very different developers who work in very different ways. Comparing a company like Valve to Treyarch is very strange to me simply because of how they operate.

And because of that their DLC cycles work differently, you're even saying it yourself, camos don't take a long time to be made and right now I can imagine Treyarch are very dedicated to their next game considering this time next year we'll be seeing it for the first time.

"but the above games listed have large amounts of well put out DLC."

Treyarch released 4 map packs for Black Ops 2. 16 Multiplayer maps and 4 Zombies maps on top of a new MP weapon and personalization packs. 

If that's not enough to count as "large amounts of well put out DLC" then I'm not sure there's anything Treyarch could do to impress you.

16 Multiplayer maps, Wrong, 17. (4 a pack x 4 + Nuketown)

4 zombies maps, wrong again, 5 (1 a pack x 4 + Nuketown)

Out of the 4 map packs we got, we also got 4 remade maps. So technically, those who bought all 4 map packs, also bought an entire map pack worth of remade maps. 4 of which were originally available for free from the BO1 or WAW disc.

To me, that makes it seem like they were out of MP map ideas.

Treyarch could impress me greatly by doing some good practical DLC now, while we have a long wait, maybe some solo MP maps or some solo Zombie maps. Something that adds replayability to a game. Camos add about 5 mins of replayability, whereas zombies maps would add at least a few more weeks.

16 Multiplayer maps, Wrong, 17. (4 a pack x 4 + Nuketown)

4 zombies maps, wrong again, 5 (1 a pack x 4 + Nuketown)

Out of the 4 map packs we got, we also got 4 remade maps. So technically, those who bought all 4 map packs, also bought an entire map pack worth of remade maps. 4 of which were originally available for free from the BO1 or WAW disc.

To me, that makes it seem like they were out of MP map ideas.

Treyarch could impress me greatly by doing some good practical DLC now, while we have a long wait, maybe some solo MP maps or some solo Zombie maps. Something that adds replayability to a game. Camos add about 5 mins of replayability, whereas zombies maps would add at least a few more weeks.

Nuketown 2025 and Nuketown Zombies were made during the main development cycle.

I suppose they were later released as DLC so you're right there.

4 remakes, wrong. ( 2 remakes, 1 re-imagining, dig took inspiration from courtyard but was not the same map.) 

Also read any comments section about DLC when it's teased or leaked or if you ever read any tweets to the developers during the black ops 2 cycle you would know that map remakes were one of the most requested things by MP fans. 

And again, new DLC might be practical to you because we have a long wait until November 2015, but games aren't made in a week surprisingly and neither is major DLC. I'm sure I'm not the only one that would prefer an incredible new zombies experience in an entirely new game instead of some remakes of maps I can already play. 

Clay:

A discussion can be made on micro-dlcs as a whole.

with just cosmetic micro-dlc there really isn't much in the way of ethics, sure, but there do exist games in which micro-dlc allow someone to buy an "edge" in a game.

That is what I was refering to.

Granted, I don't like that over half of the available skins, are price locked.

They are purely cosmetic, but it leads into other concerns, at least for me.

Liam/Nathan:

I don't think I'd count cash cards as micro-DLC.

Everything in game can be attained rather easily without needing to touch really money.

Although GTA makes it enticing, with all the very expensive items.

Mass Effect 3 multiplayer was a remarkable, balance of allowing real money purchases, but not making them very necessary at all.

What you could buy for 4 dollars only takes a few in game missions to accumulate the required funds.

Along with that, that 4 dollar (99000 in game credits, a handful of missions) is the most costly purchase.

Plus with the contents of each purchased pack being primarily random, although you could spend large amounts of real money, it'd only make you 'better' slightly faster than just playing the game.