Gaming routines, rituals, and superstitions

Another snowy freezing day in Western PA, I'm quickly running low on Grand Marnier to keep me sane. When I start to show negative attitude like Way and MegaAfro you guys know who to blame. How Boomy stays positive is beyond me, he live a few miles away and normally dealing with more extreme weather.

I want to discuss gaming routines, rituals, and superstitions. We all have them, we all do a certain things that make us comfortable whilst gaming. Some are stupid, some are calming, some are embarrassing. I'm interested in things you do that others may find weird.

Let's list your routines, rituals, and superstitions.

No Mic-

One reason why I leave my mike off is to avoid awkward conversions, but mostly because I enjoy listening to comedy. Dane Cook, George Carlin, Chris Rock, Russell Peters are some of my favorites. I would seriously go down 20 times if I do not hear good jokes while playing. If I see three mikes I back right out. I don't like full cooperation, I enjoy a bit of chaos.

Smaller TV, Favorite controller-

I used play on my 65 big screen, but it's too slow. Somehow the refresh rate is unable to keep up with gaming. I now play on my PC Monitor, aka 32 inch in my office. My favorite controller is from my very first PS3 back in 08. A few buttons are sticky and it has some major cosmetic wear but the R3 and L3 are sharp and crisp, most critical for Nazi zombies.

Diet Dr. Pepper-

Somedays I have some capt and diet, but for the most part Diet Dr. Pepper.

Outerwear-

Don't laugh, but if I'm hoping for a good solid game; red underwear paired with bright color socks. Nothing else.

Nose picking-

In between rounds waiting for others to finish hitting the box, I go for a complete treasure hunt. All my findings get rolled into a little ball. Sometimes I shave. I don't mean my facial hair.

That's all the lunch break I get, back to work. Enjoy your Thursday.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. I gotta have a tiny screen: Growing up on a tiny TV, I just can't play good on a big one. I have no idea why.

2. Jumping Makes You Faster: Doesn't matter what game it is, I'm gonna be jumpin' like nonstop lol. It just feels right

3. Favorite Controller: I like damaged controllers better as well. My favorite one to use, it's analog things are actually gone, so it's just the sticks lol. I play incredibly good with it, however.

4. No Mic On Solo: I don't like being in parties when I'm playing alone, it just annoys me for some reason...

5. 1 sock on, 1 sock off: If I'm going to wear a sock, it'll be just one. One of them suckers is going off.

6. I won't text you back: Sorry, but I ain't dying for anyone

1: Muh 20-30 inch. Recently updated to 1080p. I like.

2: Afterglow makes some good controllers. I would honestly use them more if they weren't $25 and didn't break so easily.

My purple one's RT button had the band inside the controller snap, so I couldn't shoot semi-autos/burst fire guns, and fully autos just keep shooting. My blue one's cord ripped open and it wouldn't connect to the Xbox anymore.

But yeah, I use the new Xbox controller. D-pad can rotate.

3: Sweet tea is my drink.

4: Be prepared to wait for me to reply to messages, party invites, texts, or anything. When I die it'll either be my fault or the game's.

I am with speedo on the jumping thing. Il jump 99% of the time if im not sprinting. An example that comes to mind is skyrim. I will go into 3rd person and jump then sprint, jump then sprint.

When my cousin lived with me i would have one turtle beach on and the other one off so I could hear him.

I must have my door closed when playing in my room. I don't know if thats a gaming routine or just my personal preference period.

I have to sit close to the tv. No matter how good tv's have got, its the old school in me that sits on the floor in front of the tv still.

And if theres a zombies specific tradition. Since the days of annoying PAP this died but I use to never upgrade a gun with ammo in it. Cant really explain that, always felt wasteful.

Have some more time, so now I can make a full list.

I just cannot for the life of me play with a pair of shoes on. I also push my feet against the back of the desk when stuff starts getting intense.

I find it hard to play with music on/without game audio at the best of times. It feels just wrong to me. It's also why I, like Speedo, play solo with no parties, unless I'm just messing around with some close friends who don't talk much. However, sometimes I'll run my earbuds into one ear and just keep the headset half on, I do this often because my ears get reeeeeeeaaaaaaalllly hot and I need to air them out. Only do the earbuds in Solo.

I also cannot play a long game then jump straight into another. I need time to cool my ears down  ;)

I also MUST, without a single doubt in my mind play in a refrigerated environment. This is very important in the Aussie summers (I mean, it's damn hot all year, but when it's summer here it keeps at an average of 40o C) and it also helps me sleep.

I have a 60-inch flatscreen hanging on my summer bedroom wall, but still play on my 23 inch monitor. I just like to have everything compact and available via peripheral vision. 

• Administrators

1) I can't play with my shoes on. Socks is a must because they feel cozy.

2) I need to be within 5-8 feet from my TV. Maybe I just need glasses, because I can't see if I'm too close or too far away.

3) There always needs to be food next to me. Always. I usually roll with tortillas, pizza, or even some water melon.

4) Left-sided headsets are a must. There is something about hearing audio solely in my left ear that makes me at peace.

5) I like to snake. Black Ops II ruined that for me, but Black Ops is my outlet for my ever-so popular technique. 

My air purifier is usually running on mid and pointed at me, mostly to keep my hands cool and not sweaty.

I play in a recliner, kicked back at all times unless things are going bad, you better watch out if I got to sit up lol

I also have to use audio in left ear, I have a great afterglow headset, but I go for my viper headpiece. 

Lights out, messes with me to play in a lit up area.

On Der riese BO1 I have to talk about how great the pap'd Aug is for dog rounds...I cant help myself

Yeah, I have a massive screen. I always sit really really close to it, and slightly to the left.

It's because when I was just a young lad, I would play the NES or N64 right up next to the screen, but the fire place would be to my left so I would shimmy over towards it to stay warm. I got so used to that FOV that I can barely play CoD and other way. With most other (non-first person) games it doesn't make a difference for me.

1) I can't play with my shoes on. Socks is a must because they feel cozy.

3) There always needs to be food next to me. Always. I usually roll with tortillas, pizza, or even some water melon.

No Mic-

If I see three mikes I back right out. I don't like full cooperation, I enjoy a bit of chaos.

6. I won't text you back: Sorry, but I ain't dying for anyone

Hahahaha.

I always game on a massive screen.

Smaller tvs give me headaches.

I always game at night.  (during the day, lights out)

I find the darkness somehow increases the epicness of the story in singleplayer and the intensity of multiplayer.

Gaming is the best thing to do before foreplay.

[Don't mix the two or your k/d will be demolished. Cross-overs however are the best thing ever]

I need a lot of spare time

Even if I'm going to play like only one or two matches, If I don't have atleast 2 hours of spare time, I can never turn on my pc or console.

The clearer the room, the better the performance.

I don't blame the lag, I blame my messy ass room.

I always speak English, but I always curse in other languages.

Thanks to Heather. If you ever hear someone suddenly shout russian or spanish nonsense after falling off a cliff. Add that guy.

I still believe if I scream loud enough like a little girl, the Zombies will eventually stop trapping me in that corner.

I find it almost impossible to play without a glass of whiskey. In the summer, sometimes I go with beer. I do most of my heavy, late-night drinking playing video games, not going to a bar.

I have one chair that I sit in and I'm always leaning forward. I can't sit back in that chair. or sit on either couch.

When I play zombies I almost always listen to Right Away, Great Captain. The other 10% of the time it's Drive-By Truckers.

hahaha funny thread Jay..

I have to say, if i'm really going to get in a solid night of gaming, it will usually be paired with a bottle of whiskey.

other than that, i don't really have much in the way of rituals, except since i live in a small apartment, i sit in the same place every game.

now on a somewhat related note, id like to write down what my friends and i simply call the call of duty drinking game.  This is in multiplayer.  its very simple. for kills you give drinks, for getting killed you take drinks,  A regular kill and you announce to the party to take 1 drink.  a headshot and you get to give 3 drinks.  a hatchet kill and you get to give 5 drinks.   in similar fashion if you get killed you take 1 drink, killed by a headshot take 3 drinks.   killed by a hatchet take 5.

enjoy your 3-4 games and then wastedness ;)

• Administrators

hahaha funny thread Jay..

I have to say, if i'm really going to get in a solid night of gaming, it will usually be paired with a bottle of whiskey.

other than that, i don't really have much in the way of rituals, except since i live in a small apartment, i sit in the same place every game.

now on a somewhat related note, id like to write down what my friends and i simply call the call of duty drinking game.  This is in multiplayer.  its very simple. for kills you give drinks, for getting killed you take drinks,  A regular kill and you announce to the party to take 1 drink.  a headshot and you get to give 3 drinks.  a hatchet kill and you get to give 5 drinks.   in similar fashion if you get killed you take 1 drink, killed by a headshot take 3 drinks.   killed by a hatchet take 5.

enjoy your 3-4 games and then wastedness ;)

Sounds more suited for, say, a Search & Destroy match. Gives you more time to drink so you savor every drop of bliss. I dare you to try that in Domination, though. ;)

I found a new ritual that seems to give me the upperhand before starting a Zombies match: one Caprisun must be sacrificed and two Hot Pockets must reside within my belly immediately before starting.

• 4 months later...

Necrobump time, because I found my way back to forum!

I find it hard to play if someone is watching behind me. Makes me unconfortable.

I also have routine of always delaying getting off pc, usually while playing. I.e. have to go to study or somewhere else, always same thing