• Tech Admin

Brains, an excellent way to commend a fellow member for an excellent post, showing thanks for the hard work on a new topic/post that they have created.

It's great that it's back and we understand the need and feeling of just wanting to supply brains for something you liked. Bottom line is, we think on some occasions brains are being supplied for the wrong reasons. Brains are not to be supplied for introductions, for things in off topic areas for example.

However, brains are to be supplied for hard work, well thought out posts and well constructed posts.

We will be keeping an eye on the reasons for brains being supplied, we will not tolerate misuse of the feature. So for everyone to be aware, examples of reasons for brains to be supplied are as follows.

• New topic/post, well formatted, informative topic. Something that you know you'll refer back too.
  • Tutuorials,
  • Strategy topics
  • Easter egg guides

Reasons for not supplying brians

• A topic or post in the introduction or off topic section, arcade and forum games forums
  • A reply to a post or topic that is just saying "Hi" or "Thanks".
  • Because he / she is a friend
  • Poorly formatted, worded, and not well thought out topics or posts.

These are just some examples and not necessarily a definative list, but use of the brains system is for given brains, the clue is in the name. Brains are supplied for hard work, well thought out, informative topics and posts. If you think it's worthy of brains and falls into that catergory then it probably deserves brains, if it doesn't and you have to ask yourself twice, then it probably doesn't deserve brains.

Think before you click.

Example: This post doesn't deserve brains

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm the grinch who instigated this.  Maybe I'm wrong on this, I only think brains should be for zombie related topics.  Although guides to using the forums and such should clearly receive them aswell.

Off topic and introductions not having them I'm all for.

Craig's summations are much better than mine ;)

• Administrators

I have seen Brains given and even received them for some less than deserving reasons(ex. My MS paint picture in Fated Titans Artist thread). I completely agree and I have raised this issue earlier. However I think off topic is going to be the life blood of CoDz in the coming months and it will become a grey area of "should we or shouldn't we". That is where we will review and discuss other games and it is quite possible there will be some awesome guides, tuts, and general posts. I just think it could use some additional evaluation following your public service announcement. Something to keep in mind gents.

Personally, I thought the brains system was working fine before the old site crashed and all brains were lost. Sure there were times when brains were given for a sarcastic answer or a joke, but the majority of the time they were given for the right reasons. Is there still a time restriction for how often brains can be awarded by non staff members? I know that rule helped people be smarter with giving them out and ensured they used them wisely. I recall the days when we had negative brains here, and that clearly did not work well, but ever since the removal of negative brains the system seemed to work alrite.

It seems like we're trying to become a bit more strict with the brains system now, which is fine. But if we are going to restrict certain things from being given brains, we should be consistent with it. Seems silly to me that brains shouldn't be given in the Intro section, yet Site News, Teammate Finder, Member Lounge, and Deep Thought are excluded from the restriction. If a new member is going to take the time to introduce themselves and reach out to the community, he or she should be rewarded a brain to get started. I remember receiving my first brain, and it made me want to continue posting great threads to receive them. Somewhere along the way, the importance of brains was lost as people started recognizing my name regardless , but nonetheless the first brains I received started me on that track to success here on CoDz. I feel that any new member that wants to take the time to introduce himself and reach out to the CoDz community, he/she is deserving of his/her first brain. It is a matter of building the community, just like Member Lounge and Deep Thought.

Now if we want to put a restriction on brains for things like that then so be it. But in that case it would make sense to restrict brains from being given in ANY of the General Info, Community Center, or Off Topic/Support forums, and only be given in forums relating directly to the games (Story, Gameplay, Future Zombies, BO2 Zombies, BO Zombies, Ghosts, etc.). There just seems to be too many grey areas on what technically qualifies as "brains-worthy" with these restrictions.

The one exception I could see to never have brains is the Off Topic forum as discussions about celebrities and the newest Batman movie have nothing to do with CoDz or Zombies whatsoever.

Also, everyone should always remember to take Brains with a grain of salt. Just because someone has a lot of brains doesn't mean they'll always make a great post, and just because a new member has zero brains doesn't mean they're not capable of posting an outstanding thread. I love having brains back just as much as the next guy, but we should also remember they're not the most important thing about a member or a post.

Now please stop pointing that Ray Gun at me, I was only giving my opinion.

If you dig into the archives, you will find that this same debate went into lengths last time we had brains, and why many old timers aren't exactly excited for its return.

Notable pros of brains-

Rewards good solid work

Promote good posting etiquette

Better bond between members

Notable cons of brains-

People abuse the system watering down true brainification.

People complaining not getting enough brains

People complaining/debating/arguing over brains.

The general public have been and will always abuse their "right" to vote, just look at the election and reelection of George W.

Superhands used to complain not getting enough brains, somehow a clown like myself can out brain him. The thirst factor comes into play when true work isn't appreciated yet some simple statement can generate buzz. I have been openly against easy brains, not because I don't get them, but it devalues the system. BTW last week I brained something I'm normally against by accident, I apologize for that.

There is no remedy for watering down the system. There is no remedy for jealousy if one couldn't beg for brains. There is no remedy for friends to brain each other. We may potentially create more issues.

To limit brains by sections is not ideal either. Just because it's not zombies related doesn't mean it can't be brain worthy. There can and are some good examples of brainable behaviors. Just because you and I do not participate much in off topic or deep thoughts doesn't make it fair for others to earn them that way.

Respectable members like Undead and MLH used to brain encourageable behaviors but not quite "brain worthy" by your definitions. Just because we don't agree with it doesn't mean we should firewall it.

You look at the guys with the most brains: Boom, Slade, and Pinnaz. Haven't they earned them fair and square with their charismatic posts and thoughtful ideas? BTW congrats to Mr. Pinnaz, apparently he just got married and had to change his name.

I think if you are looking to fine tune in search of the perfect formula, you will be disappointed. I believe the best solution is to promote good behavior. Good brain activities and hope for the best.

If the staff believes it doesn't work then perhaps take it away, limiting and modifying it makes mockery out of the system.

• Tech Admin

Not trying to restrict supplying of brains, more about saying to folk. Listen, a post that says thanks or hi isn't actually a post that deserves brains is it?

We know it's a difficult thing to manage, we know it will be used for supplying brains on other things, but we are trying to indicate to people to use common sense - that's all. I'm looking at a like post function but that's exactly what brains is, so whether two can work together is question that needs looked at and also needs to be tested.

Liking a post is fine but dishing out brains for a post that says "I agree" doesn't exactly deserve brains. Brains are a sign of a member that has assigned good quality posts imo (or should be).

If this is the case, can I have some Brains retracted off me? I feel there are some there I do not deserve:

Such as for this post:

92ee99525bd141a7f1effea01b2975a2.png

http://www.callofdutyzombies.com/forum/index.php/topic/158671-my-plea-to-treyarch-ranking-and-purchasable-content/?p=1479560

And this one:

c4a808ba3882e47e902e63ab17fccd8b.png

http://www.callofdutyzombies.com/forum/index.php/topic/158522-is-buried-really-the-final-resting-place-of-the-tranzit-4/?p=1478031

Thank you.

• Tech Admin

No, they all stand. We are not going to remove or stop people supplying them. What we are saying is in future, consider whether the brains being supplied is worthy of them being supplied.

The member supplying the brains will have their own reasons as to why they are supplying them all we are saying is a post which says "thanks" or "agreed" doesn't deserve brains, what has that post achieved or supplied to deserve brains being awarded?

Well Nai I gave you that first one and would stick by it. Its not so much that I agree with it, more how you have provided an argument which counters something else in a rational and concise way. My point on brains has always been zombie content only. Anything else is just semantics to that point in my mind. Your post is zombie related, well formatted with punctuation and grammar and contains a very good point.

Nai, I gave you the second brains. Why wouldn't that stand? You said something that got me thinking, said something I'd never thought about before. I'm not sure why you think it wasn't brains worthy. And it was to do with Zombies.

Not trying throw anyone under the TranZit bus, but I have seen a lot of brains given for things I don't think are worthy. Because your a friend, funny but unrelated stuff, etc. It's not that I don't like that, but it just makes me think what's the point? Really?

I feel like trying so hard to define the boundaries of what is okay and what is not is simply wasted effort and can eventually ruin the entire system.

Brains are very subjective after all.

Let our users decide what's brain worthy and what's not. 

Of course guidelines are needed to avoid the system spiraling out of control. But trying to objectively and systematically rule out any (future) posts or sections that aren't 'worthy of brains' is  going too far in my opinion.

I don't support limiting or excluding brains in any sections.

And I don't agree with - Reasons not to give brains:

A topic or post in the introduction section

Take the following situation for instance:

What if someone takes their time to write a pretty long or generally well constructed introduction post?

It's well constructed and well thought out. It's also zombie-relevant. So normally it would be worthy of brains. But yet simply because it's in a specific sub-forum I'm not allowed to give him or her (perhaps their very first) brains for going out and taking the time to introduce themselves to our users?

Same thing applies for Forum Games. What if someone comes up with a forum game that engages a large part of our community? 

Isn't that a bit too strict?

I feel like trying so hard to define the boundaries of what is okay and what is not is simply wasted effort and can eventually ruin the entire system.

Brains are very subjective after all.

Let our users decide what's brain worthy and what's not. 

Of course guidelines are needed to avoid the system spiraling out of control. But trying to objectively and systematically rule out any (future) posts or sections that aren't 'worthy of brains' is  going too far in my opinion.

I don't support limiting or excluding brains in any sections.

And I don't agree with - Reasons not to give brains:

A topic or post in the introduction section

Take the following situation for instance:

What if someone takes their time to write a pretty long or generally well constructed introduction post?

It's well constructed and well thought out. It's also zombie-relevant. So normally it would be worthy of brains. But yet simply because it's in a specific sub-forum I'm not allowed to give him or her (perhaps their very first) brains for going out and taking the time to introduce themselves to our users?

Same thing applies for Forum Games. What if someone comes up with a forum game that engages a large part of our community? 

Isn't that a bit too strict?

I can see where HW is coming from on this. Brains were designed to encourage people to contribute and have well thought out posts, not rip off a funny joke and post it to Chicken Sandwich.  Then again, I do agree with you. With the extra long off season, we can only talk about BO2 so much before it get repetitive. I personally believe a goal of the off season is to make sure we our community is active and thriving. If a post is well thought out and impressive, it should be commended regardless of section. 

Ideally, Brains should be rewarded for the post itself, and not the poster.

• Administrators

I believe that the community can handle it correctly with no interference from the staff. As someone had mentioned before, it's not the staff's job to dictate the presentation of brains. Members were capable of using the system on a decently-fair level before, so let's continue that trust onto now.

Let not the brains judge your reputation, but the content of your character.

• 1 month later...

Do you think it would be possible for this to be "announced" so to speak (like kind of advertised in every forum, like I saw something the other day was) because I've seen a few certain posts which really don't deserve Brains being awarded them.
I'm not trying to single anyone out, but here are a few examples.

Why do any of those deserve Brains? Brains are supposed to be for Zombies-related/well-thought out posts, not things that make you laugh.

To quote a great man:

13c2cf8890b7709a0c16902993da7e29.png

http://www.callofdutyzombies.com/forum/index.php/topic/158983-codz-debates/?p=1484700

36892e6abd7e704844b064d395d2fa89.png

http://www.callofdutyzombies.com/forum/index.php/topic/149276-the-official-chicken-sandwich-enthusiasts-club/?p=1484539

1e15f32ed7e720e2892cd08300a61cf9.png

http://www.callofdutyzombies.com/forum/index.php/topic/149276-the-official-chicken-sandwich-enthusiasts-club/?p=1484632

These are just some examples and not necessarily a definative list, but use of the brains system is for given brains, the clue is in the name. Brains are supplied for hard work, well thought out, informative topics and posts. If you think it's worthy of brains and falls into that catergory then it probably deserves brains, if it doesn't and you have to ask yourself twice, then it probably doesn't deserve brains.

• Administrators

It's all to the community to determine what should be given brains and what should not. It's already been said that brains are a precious resource that ought to be promoted by hard work/valuable posts. I've made this pinned as there isn't an option to make it global.

In the current system brains have literally no value.

We are not dictators and will not moderate it. Its a shame the way this site is heading with content gradually becoming more and more childish.

Those examples posted by Nai say it all really. Whilst we have members called 12 year old virgin getting brains for quoting Eminem lyrics and pictures like that getting rewarded we have a serious maturity issue.

Maybe that's why a lot of mature members have left.

Rant over.

• Administrators

I very rarely give out Brains as I still hold the requirements to the highest standards. It's extremely unfortunate that some are treating the system like a facebook like button. I am all for humor on the site, but it is not what I want my reputation to be based on. I received two this week for ridiculous reasons; I tried deleting the post but it did nothing. Whatever happened to specific sections not being eligible for brains?

• Moderators

Perhaps i give them too much.

Yes you do.

Is there a way to implement a "like" button?

You know: Brains for zombie content and the like button for funny posts.

I don't know how useful that would be though.

• Administrators

Is there a way to implement a "like" button?

I say we implement a spleen button. It doesn't actually account to any rank or have any real purpose, but it will deter people from hitting the brain where they are not warranted.