Loose Ends - The Unsolved Mysteries of Zombies (W.I.P)

Hello there, good citizens of this wonderful land of Zombies! I am here today to bring you a project of immense proportions! In this thread, we will try and tackle all the unsolved mysteries of Zombies. These can range from little miniature secrets which may hold HUGE relevance in the story (as evidenced by Manhattan Down & the Green Run project & China's Great Leap Forward) to huge unsolved mysteries, such as where are the O4 now (this one will not be attempted though, because unless new information comes to light, we have little to no evidence to deduce a conclusion)?

With the advent of Sledgehammer Games' involvement in the Call of Duty development cycle, we are going to be faced with a very long Off Season. I believe we should use our time wisely, and work into solving all the mysteries of zombies within our power, be it a small thing such as a poster, to a huge thing such as the layout of the planet.

This is something which cannot be accomplished without the support of the community, and I hope that with all the knowledge shared between the many great minds who reside on this forum, we can find out some clues as to where we are headed for next!

Now, there are not going to be any set jobs. That system works, but has it's flaws, such as pressure on certain people. This is going to be something to which we all can contribute, with whatever knowledge we have, be it a comprehensive storyline grasp *cough* MMX *cough* or a knack for noticing things to do with efficient gameplay strategies.

I would like to say a huge thank you in advance to any who will help me out in this huge undertaking. Your help is appreciated, whether you've made some banners to help spice up the page, or collected footage for display in certain parts of this thread.

This post will be divided up into sections, detailing what each individual member has to say on the subjects.

Let us begin then, shall we?

Loose Ends - The Unsolved Mysteries of Zombies

Degrees of Mysteriosity
There are 5 degrees of mysteriosity:
Thanks to MMX for suggesting this.
Degree 1: We know the answer.
Degree 2: We are pretty sure we know the answer.
Degree 3: We can deduce the answer.
Degree 4: We have an unlikely theory on the answer, but it is the best we've got.
Degree 5: We have no idea whatsoever.

• What was Marlton doing in the Fallout Shelter?
  • He said he had a lab of some sorts. Maybe that's his lab?
  • What's the status on the O3 from Moon?
  • They're probably dead.
  • How was Samuel able to hear Aether voices in Die Rise, but not in Buried?
  • The voices originate from the Zombies, moaning things like 'kill me, help me'. I think it's because they only died recently. As the Zombies in Tranzit and Buried have been dead for much longer than the ones in Die Rise.
  • That or it's because their moaning was simply too annoying.
  • What are the background stories of the N4?
  • Russman - worked at Broken Arrow, knew Stu as a child. Probably got fired. Living on the streets til the outbreak happend.
  • Marlton - scientist. Maybe he too worked at Broken Arrow and played a role in Russman's departure. ("You've been walking the earth ever since the, uhm, incident" refers to Russman's getting fired. It sounds like Marlton knows an awful lot about it.
  • Which side of the Black Ops 2 Side Quests are canon? (Most likely Maxis)
  • Maxis.
  • What specifically was Broken Arrow?
  • Never explained. Had some sort of involvement with the oubreak, so perhaps they are a modern 935-ish group studying Element 115 or something among those lines.
  • How has Russ been living so long and healthy?
  • He hasn't. He has more deceases than one can count.
  • What is Russman's real name?
  • RussMAN!
  • What was the Purple Light from Die Rise about?
  • Richtofen's mumbojumbo magic teleportation and restoration skills.
  • What book does Samuel have during the events of all 3 N4 Maps?
  • Good question. Probably the diary enteries we've been getting with each new map.
  • What happend to the Mob Crew?
  • They're all dead. Stuck in purgatory till they move on.

I totally agree with MMX on the degree of knowledge. Some things we know about extensively, while others will only receive ambiguous answers. That's not to say theories can't be proposed, however, there's still an 80% chance (based on the degree system) of which the question isn't fully solved. In fact, more than 80% will not be satisfied since these are degrees of loose ends.

Maxis mentioned something along the lines of "decades" from the last encounter he had with a survivor (Tranzit quote). It gets tossed around because Nuketown happens during Moon, yet Tranzit seems to follow directly after Nuketown with the appearance of Marlton's being in the fallout shelter plus the bus. 10+ years is still plausible, though.

In fact, it is very plausible. Just follow me here, because it all bottled down to one point.

Recall Tian Zhao? He is the leader of the Strike Defense Coalition (SDC) that was largely prevalent in the year 2025. 

300px-Tian_Zhao_BO2.png

The SDC is a Chinese-led military coalition in the campaign of Black Ops II that rivaled America. It is important to note that the SDC was largely of the Chinese because what zombie mode/map contains SDC zombies? That's right - Die Rise. Now let's continue on. We know that Die Rise takes place after completing the Tranzit Side Mission. Even if you approximate a day or week or month after it, you still get a relatively close date between the two modes. 

Therefore, we can assume that Tranzit = Die Rise (in terms of date proximity).

Now that the connection between those two have been made, let's turn our attention to a particular box.

116udfd.jpg

This box can be found in the Multiplayer map, Meltdown in Black Ops II. Looks familiar?

j81eo6.jpg

It is the same exact crate from Moon. Now some will call this a re-used texture, but it seems oddly peculiar to use the same crate on a different game only once. These crates - if belonging to the SDC - could very well be the link setting Moon/Nuketown/Tranzit/Die Rise into the same time zone.

I had too much of a brain fart and will continue to elaborate the ending explanation later.

@Naitrax, I don't mind if you use what I said at all. I wouldn't just quote it though. Put it up yourself. No need to say I said it.

What was Marlton doing in the Fallout Shelter? He was probably one of the radiation scientists in Nuketown. Degree 3.

How long was the time between TranZit and Moon? Infest does a great job explaining that. Degree 3.

How is the Rift going to be "mended"? Richtofen could have said that for any number of reasons, like by mending he meant absorbing its energy. Degree 4.

Why are the perks flashing in MotD? Temporal displacement by the Ancient Evil. Degree 2.

What's the status on the O3 from Moon? Probably dead. Degree 3.

How was Samuel able to hear Aether voices in Die Rise, but not in Buried? The sounds are those of the Jumping Jacks, which appeared only in Die Rise. Degree 1.

What are the background stories of the N4? They tell us much of it. Misty was a farm girl. Marlton was a scientist. Samuel was a conspiracy nut. Russman was an agent. Degree 1.

Which side of the Black Ops 2 Side Quests are canon? Both. Degree 1.

What specifically was Broken Arrow? It was an organization. If you reword that to what exactly was its purpose, Degree 5.

How has Russ been living so long and healthy? How has anyone? Degree 3.

What is Russman's real name? Russman. He just doesn't remember if it is first or last. It is still his name. Full name would be Degree 5.

What was the Purple Light from Die Rise about? Richtofen teleported them. Degree 1.

What book does Samuel have during the events of all 3 N4 Maps? His diary. Degree 1.
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, we should begin by finding out what loose ends need to be solved. Off the top of my head (and I'll edit this post with more) some unanswered questions are

1.  What was Marlton doing in the Fallout Shelter?
  2.  How long was the time between TranZit and Moon?
  3.  How is the Rift going to be "mended"?
  4. Why are the perks flashing in MotD?
  5. What's the status on the O3 from Moon?
  6. How was Samuel able to hear Aether voices in Die Rise, but not in Buried?
  7. What are the background stories of the N4?
  8. Which side of the Black Ops 2 Side Quests are canon? (Most likely Maxis)
  9. What specifically was Broken Arrow?
  10. How has Russ been living so long and healthy?
  11. What is Russman's real name?
  12.  What was the Purple Light from Die Rise about?
  13.  What book does Samuel have during the events of all 3 N4 Maps?
  1.  What was Marlton doing in the Fallout Shelter?
  • He said he had a lab of some sorts. Maybe that's his lab?
  1. What's the status on the O3 from Moon?
  • They're probably dead.
  1. How was Samuel able to hear Aether voices in Die Rise, but not in Buried?
  • The voices originate from the Zombies, moaning things like 'kill me, help me'. I think it's because they only died recently. As the Zombies in Tranzit and Buried have been dead for much longer than the ones in Die Rise.
  1. What are the background stories of the N4?
  • Russman - worked at Broken Arrow, knew Stu as a child. Probably got fired. Living on the streets til the outbreak happend.
  • Marlton - scientist. Maybe he too worked at Broken Arrow and played a role in Russman's departure. ("You've been walking the earth ever since the, uhm, incident" refers to Russman's getting fired. It sounds like Marlton knows an awful lot about it.
  1. Which side of the Black Ops 2 Side Quests are canon? (Most likely Maxis)
  • Maxis. 
  1. What specifically was Broken Arrow?
  • Never explained. Had some sort of involvement with the oubreak, so perhaps they are a modern 935-ish group studying Element 115 or something among those lines.
  1. How has Russ been living so long and healthy?
  1. What is Russman's real name?
  • RussMAN!
  1.  What was the Purple Light from Die Rise about?
  • Richtofen's mumbojumbo magic teleportation and restoration skills.
  1.  What book does Samuel have during the events of all 3 N4 Maps?
  • Good question. Probably the diary enteries we've been getting with each new map.

• What happend to the Mob Crew?
  • They're all dead. Stuck in purgatory till they move on.

Me either.. It seems to me that richtofen's side is the only cannon one for three reasons:

Richtofen didn't destroy the f-ing earth… 

Samule's involvement with richtofen's consciousness will defiantly be used later on. 

Richtofen deleted maxis, where as maxis put richtofen in a "cycle", seems like a bigger plot element, but lets be honest… Maxis does NOT stay dead for long… 

-Survived the teleporter incident

-Survived the moon incident (in a sense)

-Survived the virus in origins

-Will Survive the exertion of his consciousness from the aether. 

Both sides are canon. Just like how in one universe I had cake for breakfast and in another I had pie. (I'd have to be crazy in that universe probably. I don't like pie.)

Anyhow, I think the concept for this post is great. As there are many unanswered questions. However, there are many questions that do have answers, just not fully proven ones. Many of the questions already posed do have answers you can deduce. I think the big mystery stuff is to think bigger, like, who exactly made up The Flesh? Or, what exactly was the Ultimate Plan? Perhaps there should be a "degree" of the mystery? Like:

Degree 4: We have an unlikely theory on the answer, but it is the best we've got.

So, is it okay for me to give a whack at those questions? (even though Slade already did a good job)

Both sides are canon. Just like how in one universe I had cake for breakfast and in another I had pie. (I'd have to be crazy in that universe probably. I don't like pie.)

Anyhow, I think the concept for this post is great. As there are many unanswered questions. However, there are many questions that do have answers, just not fully proven ones. Many of the questions already posed do have answers you can deduce. I think the big mystery stuff is to think bigger, like, who exactly made up The Flesh? Or, what exactly was the Ultimate Plan? Perhaps there should be a "degree" of the mystery? Like:

So, is it okay for me to give a whack at those questions? (even though Slade already did a good job)

I agree wholeheartedly about the degrees. Is it okay if I quote your post into the OP?

Everyone can answer the questions. All answers will be put in, this is a huge project, multiple perspectives and ideas are required to make it work.

The whole different universes and time paradox thing ruined the zombie story imo. Both the 04 and N4 story had so much potential. The 04 had vril, alien, illuminati references that ended up meaning nothing. The N4 had the flesh, broken arrow, maxis vs R ichtofen, Samuel zombification, and much more. With buried both stories came to an end pretty much. Origins then changed or challenged all we knew about the storyline previously. For the peolle who have been involved since world at war the story almost became meaningless in BO2. Everything can be explained away as a child's game. The only other answer is alternate universes or time paradox which is an easy out imo.

All the major questions I have about the 04 I have had since Bo

1) who is Samantha talking about being in the MOD with her?

2) what happens after moon ee?

among others,

N4 could have had an amazing story. Instead we got fed the absolute minimum.

1) the flesh, what exactly is their role in Samuels actions?

2) how was Marlon and Russmans involvement in broken arrow?

3) why can samuel hear richrofen but no one else?

4) whay does m arlton know about everything? Russmans as well. Those two seem to be the main characters.

Many others. TO ME, its tough to care anout the storyline anymore. i feel we as a community cared more about it than the developersm PLUS alternate realities, time p aradoxs means anytjing cam happen without repercussion. I dont like that.

•  
  • How was Samuel able to hear Aether voices in Die Rise, but not in Buried?

It's most likely because playtesters disliked the the voices, although they were pretty much just new zombie groans.

•  
  • How has Russ been living so long and healthy?

Even with all these diseases, the guy is still running around and kicking ass. I know Russ is a bit unreliable due to his current state of health, but he says in Buried that he over the age of 75! (It's been a while since I heard that quote) I hate for '115' to be the answer for all plot holes, but it could make sense that Russ messed with it back in B.A. to stay alive and able for so long.

Marlton was most likely the cause for Russman's departure, as he has multiple quotes about Marlton "fucking everything up".

Why does everyone think Maxis side quests are canon?

I really don't like how everyone is ignoring Richtofen's side.

The Maxis Ending in Buried reveals that he's opening the gateway to Agartha to rescue Samantha. In the very next map, the sidequest revolves around opening up the Gateway to free Samantha. With the whole alternate universe stuff, this could just be one version of how events play out. Who knows, maybe the first map for BO3 will be about trying to get Richtofen out of Samuel's body. It really would be a shame if that whole Maxis v. Richtofen thing wasn't just a way for the community to "vote" for the canon storyline for Black Ops II.

EDIT:

All the major questions I have about the 04 I have had since Bo
1) who is Samantha talking about being in the MOD with her?
2) what happens after moon ee?
among others,
N4 could have had an amazing story. Instead we got fed the absolute minimum.
1) the flesh, what exactly is their role in Samuels actions?
2) how was Marlon and Russmans involvement in broken arrow?
3) why can samuel hear richrofen but no one else?
4) whay does m arlton know about everything? Russmans as well. Those two seem to be the main characters.

Most people agree that Samuel was a part of The Flesh, but couldn't tell the group about him eating Zombie Flesh otherwise he'd be killed. One can guess this is why he can hear voices.

Marlton is an extremely intelligent person who seemed to be involved with Broken Arrow, so he knows the gist of what's going on. Russman was also part of B.A., so he knows a couple things about why the Earth is in ruins.

I do agree that the N4 story had potential, but I guess that's we'll have to wait till next game to get more information. For now, all we know is that PAYBACK'S A BITCH, JUST SO YOU KNOW SO IS RUSSMAN
Edited by GameChanger
  • Administrators

I totally agree with MMX on the degree of knowledge. Some things we know about extensively, while others will only receive ambiguous answers. That's not to say theories can't be proposed, however, there's still an 80% chance (based on the degree system) of which the question isn't fully solved. In fact, more than 80% will not be satisfied since these are degrees of loose ends.

How long was the time between TranZit and Moon?

Maxis mentioned something along the lines of "decades" from the last encounter he had with a survivor (Tranzit quote). It gets tossed around because Nuketown happens during Moon, yet Tranzit seems to follow directly after Nuketown with the appearance of Marlton's being in the fallout shelter plus the bus. 10+ years is still plausible, though.

In fact, it is very plausible. Just follow me here, because it all bottled down to one point.

Recall Tian Zhao? He is the leader of the Strike Defense Coalition (SDC) that was largely prevalent in the year 2025. 

300px-Tian_Zhao_BO2.png

The SDC is a Chinese-led military coalition in the campaign of Black Ops II that rivaled America. It is important to note that the SDC was largely of the Chinese because what zombie mode/map contains SDC zombies? That's right - Die Rise. Now let's continue on. We know that Die Rise takes place after completing the Tranzit Side Mission. Even if you approximate a day or week or month after it, you still get a relatively close date between the two modes. 

Therefore, we can assume that Tranzit = Die Rise (in terms of date proximity).

Now that the connection between those two have been made, let's turn our attention to a particular box.

116udfd.jpg

This box can be found in the Multiplayer map, Meltdown in Black Ops II. Looks familiar?

j81eo6.jpg

It is the same exact crate from Moon. Now some will call this a re-used texture, but it seems oddly peculiar to use the same crate on a different game only once. These crates - if belonging to the SDC - could very well be the link setting Moon/Nuketown/Tranzit/Die Rise into the same time zone.

I had too much of a brain fart and will continue to elaborate the ending explanation later.

• Administrators

Why did they go so in-depth with Russman's background, but not with any of the others?

I swear they just threw the zombies storyline together on the weekends when they had some free time.

They knew that the N4 was an unpopular choice of people. I guess they wanted to throw a curveball one last time so we'd end up with more questions about Broken Arrow than his actual past. Looks like we're left to propose an answer for it.

@Naitrax, I don't mind if you use what I said at all. I wouldn't just quote it though. Put it up yourself. No need to say I said it.

What was Marlton doing in the Fallout Shelter? He was probably one of the radiation scientists in Nuketown. Degree 3.

How long was the time between TranZit and Moon? Infest does a great job explaining that. Degree 3.

How is the Rift going to be "mended"? Richtofen could have said that for any number of reasons, like by mending he meant absorbing its energy. Degree 4.

Why are the perks flashing in MotD? Temporal displacement by the Ancient Evil. Degree 2.

What's the status on the O3 from Moon? Probably dead. Degree 3.

How was Samuel able to hear Aether voices in Die Rise, but not in Buried? The sounds are those of the Jumping Jacks, which appeared only in Die Rise. Degree 1.

What are the background stories of the N4? They tell us much of it. Misty was a farm girl. Marlton was a scientist. Samuel was a conspiracy nut. Russman was an agent. Degree 1.

Which side of the Black Ops 2 Side Quests are canon? Both. Degree 1.

What specifically was Broken Arrow? It was an organization. If you reword that to what exactly was its purpose, Degree 5.

How has Russ been living so long and healthy? How has anyone? Degree 3.

What is Russman's real name? Russman. He just doesn't remember if it is first or last. It is still his name. Full name would be Degree 5.

What was the Purple Light from Die Rise about? Richtofen teleported them. Degree 1.

What book does Samuel have during the events of all 3 N4 Maps? His diary. Degree 1.

Here's something I've wondered for a while.

Why was Russman fired from Broken Arrow? He makes quotes about doing or trying something only once so do you think he tried to eat zombie flesh, and was caught by Marleton, somehow getting them both expelled? I do believe the Russman quote is on Die Rise, it's a PaP quote and you should find it in Slades, or maybe Tac's storyline quote thread.

I don't believe we ever find out why he was fired. So I'd say that is Degree 5.

However, Russman was fired before the apocalypse. (Unless people still drive taxis in the apocalypse, not to mention the rain.) And we know from Buried's intro that Russ+Stu only met M&M AFTER the apocalypse in Green Run. Therefore, Marlton's knowledge of Broken Arrow is only a result of what Russman and Stu told them.

So, then what do you think the whole quote bits about Marleton being a liar? I always thought that played into his work but I guess he does mention in the Die Rise video they picked M&M up at Tranzit.

It's probably never going to be found out....I mean by that account I could just say Marleton remembers Russman, but Russman has forgotten about Marleton, it just goes on and on and on lol

Here's something I've wondered for a while.

Why was Russman fired from Broken Arrow? He makes quotes about doing or trying something only once so do you think he tried to eat zombie flesh, and was caught by Marleton, somehow getting them both expelled? I do believe the Russman quote is on Die Rise, it's a PaP quote and you should find it in Slades, or maybe Tac's storyline quote thread.

"Drink once from the wrong well and everyone calls you a monster"   is the quote I believe you are referring too.

To answer your question, Russman has a lot of quotes about regretting past things he's done, and Marlton and his big mouth messing things up. Also notice how in Buried intro, Marlton tip toes around the "incident". One can assume Marlton may have something to do with Russman's departure. Degree 3.

I don't believe we ever find out why he was fired. So I'd say that is Degree 5.

However, Russman was fired before the apocalypse. (Unless people still drive taxis in the apocalypse, not to mention the rain.) And we know from Buried's intro that Russ+Stu only met M&M AFTER the apocalypse in Green Run. Therefore, Marlton's knowledge of Broken Arrow is only a result of what Russman and Stu told them.

Aye, but don't forget, russman is reluctant and hateful to marelton for being a "loud mouth little…." and says "this is all his fault". 

Could marelton have gotten russman fired due to his discoveries of russman's sector? 

I really just think all of that is just a mere sliver of the entire Misty and Marlton versus Samuel and Russman dispute. Misty insults Samuel. Misty insults Russman. Marlton insults Samuel. Marlton insults Russman. Samuel insults Misty. Samuel insults Marlton. Russman insults Misty. Russman insults Marlton. As for that particular quote above, that could be a metaphor for all sorts of things. Maybe Russman gave secrets to another company. Maybe Russman cheated on a woman. Maybe he drank sewer water. Quotes should be taken with a grain of salt.