The difference between an easter egg, and an objective.

Trayarch lean in close. The so called easter eggs in BO2 were not easter eggs, they were objectives. Black ops one? Oh yeah total EEs. 

The difference? 

Black ops two: 

-Everyone shouting at you to accomplish the task. 

Black ops one: 

-One little thing in an area gave you a single clue. You had to work it out from there. 

Trayarch, It's pretty well known that easter eggs DO EXIST, you don't need to scream it at us every time we start up a game! 

Go back to what it was, one tiny little hint or two.  A mysterious voice in one area, a flashing light, buttons that have a mysterious "push X" symbol on it… Just little stuff. 

I NEVER want to hear american-samantha say: "There were riddles, hidden within the chambers" again! Nor do I want to hear: "WAIT, these gallows are positioned in the optimum location"

or "Now that we have the parts, we really should make a break for the roof" 

or "The electrical grid is no longer interfering with my communication" 

and especially not: "Yes, that is it! DO IT!" 

A simple: Hello is anyone out there? in one section of the map would suffice… 

Anyone else agree? 

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1000000000000% agreed. Running through the Shangri-La & Call of the Dead Easter Eggs made me think on how mazing it was that they were solved. I mean, Black Ops 2's EE's were by no means easy to solve, but Black Ops 1 just was amazing on the hidden egg front. Seriously, reading the achievement descriptions for the Easter Eggs was what actually got me into Zombies in the first place, not being shouted at by a young annoying girl because I'm killing Zombies here and not there...

And that's another thing: Almost everything in black ops 2 can be solve by one of three things: 

Build this thing

hit this with this weapon

or 

kill zombies in THIS location

I wan't something more along the lines of shangri la where we actually have to decipher codes, match symbols, and lead special zombies through here… Literally the only easter egg step with any difference in BO2 was the die rise step where you had to stand on the tiles… 

Buried's easter egg got a little creative with the time bomb-infinity mode. But that still was just a "detonate this here" step. And don't even start with origins… It's all of those 3 things emphasized to the max. 

So many things could have been done with the avagadro, or the MOTD warden, heck even the panzer could have been more useful. 

Then there's the complete disregard for any proper code: MOTD's code is always the same, and so is Origins. Die rise's tower is a bit better but poorly excited as those tiny little pieces are HARD to see. 

But what disappointed me the most was the complete feel of no reward… 

In BO1 you got two pieces to unlock the final easter egg in moon from MOTD and Shangri la, as well as an achievement and a kick ass profile pic. 

Bo2? Oh yeah you get a single game where you can obtain 4 weapons or get excess drops… then it all resets without an achievement… Oh and in two maps you can end the game too…Nothing but worthless GS for doing THAT...

Why didn't Treyarch require us to time a Panzer's grab perfectly to have him retrieve an object from outside the map? 

Why didn't we have to lure Brutus to the Plane to lock it, making it accessible only in Afterlife?

Why didn't the big guy have to break a decaying wall to find the switch?

What if we had to have Him zap the Spire instead of spending 30 minutes running around and building something which we have to break anyway?

Most things in this game could have been done better. Why do we need to put away 5 hours of our time to make it to round 35 and doing the Origins EE, when it's possible to make 100 on Ascension in the same amount of time?

Black Ops 2 gave us more questions than answers, in more ways than one.

They are even noted in the game files as Side quests, so it's true they're not easter eggs, because like you've stated, it has to be found by looking not listening.

I wouldn't mind a combination of the two, have two goals in zombies, one having a storyline driven EASTER EGG that requires time and research to complete. Then have a character advance story Side quest that fills in gaps between maps.

For example, the easter egg on Tranzit could have been lighting the spires like we did, but without so much voice context and obvious hints. The side quest being, discovering what went on inside the PaP room, why there is a Nacht in the corn fields, and choice to end game that lets us know how they all met, and have Die rise pick up in the cut scene while we're still in Tranzit, so we get to witness the whole teleporting thing.

There is just so many little things that could be explained through side quests, while the main story is driven by doing the easter eggs we were used to. I dunno, would work for me lol

1000000000000% agreed.

Add another few zeros to this, and it STILL would not represent the level of how much I agree with the OP. I hated the majority of the EE's on BO2. They were all relatively straight forward. Die Rise was not, but only because most of the quotes did not make any kind of sense as to what you were doing. It got easier as it went along.

Buried had a decent EE on both sides, but still we were pretty much taken by the hand and walked through them. Origins is the worst of all. Sure it is a fun enough EE to do, and it seems to be perfectly balanced in terms of difficulty as you progress, but it was definitely a side quest as opposed to an EE, and the audio ques were beyond annoying. It is my biggest pet peeve with that map... listening to that little brat!

I want the EE's to be more puzzle orientated. I do not want to be killing zombies during them either... well, not unless it makes sense, like it did on Moon. Trample Steaming zombies, or killing them in 101 different ways (ie: Origins) is not really any different to just playing through rounds. Taxing puzzles that go on to reveal more of the story is better than listening to Richtofen talk about 'Vital energies' or other completely unrelated things to the story or what we are trying to achieve. How does standing on 4 symbols help power a tower!? Definitely hope they never bring back end-games either. That was something the community wanted and then when we got it, we thought.... "meh!"

I would also like to see proper rewards. Rewards that make the EE's something worth doing. MotD and Origins aside, the other BO2 maps were only worth doing to get the achievement and to listen to the audio quotes for story development purposes. None of the rewards were worth the effort of doing the EE, and the challenge of finding enough people to do all 3 and then pressing the button is even more difficult due to it being completely worthless... especially the Maxis side.

I am still shocked at how terrible they all were, and how badly Treyarch dropped the ball when it came to the whole Navcard thing. Made me lose a lost of respect for them.

Add another few zeros to this, and it STILL would not represent the level of how much I agree with the OP. I hated the majority of the EE's on BO2. They were all relatively straight forward. Die Rise was not, but only because most of the quotes did not make any kind of sense as to what you were doing. It got easier as it went along.

Buried had a decent EE on both sides, but still we were pretty much taken by the hand and walked through them. Origins is the worst of all. Sure it is a fun enough EE to do, and it seems to be perfectly balanced in terms of difficulty as you progress, but it was definitely a side quest as opposed to an EE, and the audio ques were beyond annoying. It is my biggest pet peeve with that map... listening to that little brat!

I want the EE's to be more puzzle orientated. I do not want to be killing zombies during them either... well, not unless it makes sense, like it did on Moon. Trample Steaming zombies, or killing them in 101 different ways (ie: Origins) is not really any different to just playing through rounds. Taxing puzzles that go on to reveal more of the story is better than listening to Richtofen talk about 'Vital energies' or other completely unrelated things to the story or what we are trying to achieve. How does standing on 4 symbols help power a tower!? Definitely hope they never bring back end-games either. That was something the community wanted and then when we got it, we thought.... "meh!"

I would also like to see proper rewards. Rewards that make the EE's something worth doing. MotD and Origins aside, the other BO2 maps were only worth doing to get the achievement and to listen to the audio quotes for story development purposes. None of the rewards were worth the effort of doing the EE, and the challenge of finding enough people to do all 3 and then pressing the button is even more difficult due to it being completely worthless... especially the Maxis side.

I am still shocked at how terrible they all were, and how badly Treyarch dropped the ball when it came to the whole Navcard thing. Made me lose a lost of respect for them.

• Administrators

The problem lies with the the overall objective - powering the towers. Everyone knows that. Power this spire, power that tower, power the final tower, voila - all your hard work paid off in such a minimal way. And again with what DBZ said, what does standing on tiles have to do with powering a tower? The only honest one about this scenario was Mob of the Dead. While all you did was ride the plane several times before going into it as Afterlife, look how it genuine it was - no force into doing the Side Quest, uncovered more background information about the Mobsters as you progressed, and left you on a semi-cliffhanger to speculate what happened as a result of breaking/maintaining the cycle. Perfect way to do an Easter Egg in Black Ops II.

You could easily see the dramatic shift from conspiracy-based Easter Eggs in Black Ops to power-driver Side Quests for Black Ops II. Should the conspiracies return, then we'll get right back on track.

The issue isn't that something needs to be powered in every map, we've been seeing that sense WAW: 

Der reise: Power the fly trap

Accesnsion: The nodes

COTD: The lighthouse, and by extension the teleporter (and some extra bits)

Shangri la: Power the orbs to shrink the meteor. 

Moon: Power the MPD and then the rockets. 

Tranzit even, was not that bad of an easter egg. If it had been slightly more rewarding it would have been great! Plenty of hidden nav card table pieces, jet gun pieces, and because it's the default map it's only fair those who aren't used to easter eggs should get some insight on how to do it. It also revealed the battle between richtofen and maxis. It had it's reasons for being such an easter egg. 

Die rise, buried, and Origins had no excuse. You shoved it in our faces and annoyed the crap out of those who didn't do what you said, then your rival still annoyed the crap out of you...