Sledgehammer confirmed to be making 2014 CoD!

So, Liam and CharlieINTEL just confirmed that Sledgehammer will be behind the 2014 Call of Duty, and that the CoD franchise will be going into a 3 year cycle.

http://www.charlieintel.com/2014/02/06/activision-confirms-3-dev-cycle-for-the-call-of-duty-franchise-shgames-game-coming-in-2014/

What does this mean for CoDZ? Will we have to wait 2 years now for the next zombies? It seems so. I am happy to get a better zombie game if more time is spent on the development, but this means we are left with BO2 to tide us over till then.

How depressing. :(

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Activision CEO said ... to deliver one of the best Call of Duty titles ever"

Hmm, where have I heard this one before..

On the bright side, this means more polish time for our favorite mode. And in all honesty, I'm kinda burned-out at this point. 

Still hurts having to wait another year though.

Can someone please tell me why 3 different companies are needed for the same game?

7b10ed541139a535c54386adebd2a4dd5f1baca6

(cough AC cough)

Meh. 

One day Activision will have too many Devs working on COD and one of them will mess up big time and COD will start to fall. 

Hell, it has already. I remember Ghosts getting 5/10 on some site. Ha ha

Also I got some projects to keep me busy for a few months.

Super Smash Bros Brawl modding

Bully beta

Hackintosh

GTA V Heists (HOPEFULLY)

And a lot lot more.

Then what? idk Whatever comes my way.

• Tech Admin

That is an extreme disappointment.

I don't like Activision policies, they used to be a solid game developer back in the 80's/90's/00's and now they are just killing the CoD franchise. I suppose the crowning glory in this, is it gives Treyarch another 12 months to give us a killer game.

Now here's the question, Sledgehammer, Infinityward and Treyarch all doing multiplayer, every year? I can't see it happen to be honest. Is Treyarch now going to split the series up by delivering a zombies game mode only in between the Inifinityward and Sledgehammer multiplayer mode? I called it here first btw ;)

I sincerely hope Sledgehammer deliver something this year, if not, I can honestly see the demise of the franchise (not before the next zombies from Treyarch though). At least it gives Treyarch time to give us something of epic proportions.

To be honest, COD has had it's day, it's pretty much done for, zombies on the other hand is a different kettle of fish.

Can someone please tell me why 3 different companies are needed for the same game?

The game can still release annually while receiving more development time than usual.

If anything this is better than what we had, sure we have to wait longer for Zombies but now we get possibilities of things like a new engine.

You also get one year of extra polish on each Call Of Duty game, which means better Zombies.

• Tech Admin

The game can still release annually while receiving more development time than usual.

If anything this is better than what we had, sure we have to wait longer for Zombies but now we get possibilities of things like a new engine.

You also get one year of extra polish on each Call Of Duty game, which means better Zombies.

The problem with that Liam, is that Activision have killed the series now, releasing it every single year, with pretty much the same thing (apart from the when Treyarch produce and we have zombies). A substantial amount of gamers are sick and tired of the game now. Bringing a 3rd developer into the mix isn't actually going to help the game revive itself. It's about gamers not wanting the same thing every year, we want something different. They have tried it with Ghosts and we'll need to see how that goes with the DLC etc but to me, it doesn't look promising "yet".

Two developers producing the same game every 1.5/2 years rather than every year, keeps the game alive. It will not last much longer with yearly releases before *****s plummet and the plug is pulled. (*****s figures show it's downward, gaming reviews show a downward spiral as well)

Hell, it has already. I remember Ghosts getting 5/10 on some site

Wow... such generosity! :o

Still, seeing as the CoD franchise continues to use the same out dated game engine that has been ever present for some 9 years now, I expect the 2014 CoD title (Modern Warfare 4 no doubt!) to look pretty much identical to MW3 & Ghosts, and to also be just as awful to play.

I hope I am wrong though, but I doubt it. The IW Engine was only recently upgraded for Ghosts (and not a completely new engine like they claimed), so expect it to look pretty much identical to Ghosts.

So sad. :(

• Administrators

As much as I preach quality; I just want my damn zombies. Who wants to put a PC build list together for me? I started assembling a parts list a while back, but got caught up in console games. All it would need to do is run custom zombies.

I’m going to go rage vomit while I wait.

Well I am getting very bored of zombies at the moment. I may just be burnt out bc I have no internet for live and have been doing solo all day. If sledgehammer makes this CoD, they are going to have to do something to counter zombies and the up and coming Extinction mode (face it, it's fun) if they want the game to be successful. I really hope they include a survival type mode with a horror twist like zombies or aliens. But this is probably just wishful thinking :(

The problem with that Liam, is that Activision have killed the series now, releasing it every single year, with pretty much the same thing (apart from the when Treyarch produce and we have zombies). A substantial amount of gamers are sick and tired of the game now. Bring a 3rd developer into the mix isn't actually going to help it revive itself. It's about gamers not wanting the same thing every year, we want something different.

Two developers producing the same game every 1.5/2 years rather every year, keeps the game alive. It will not last much longer with yearly releases before *****s plummet and the plug is pulled. (*****s figures show it's downward, gaming reviews show a downward spiral as well)

I would agree but Sledgehammer haven't truly been able to show us what they have to offer yet.

Everyone jumps to MW3 which wasn't their game, they assisted on it, they were a smaller studio than the already quite small IW at that time.

Does no one remember what SH games were working on before MW3?  A dark 3rd person Action Adventure Call Of Duty game. 

This is a studio with a totally different background to the 2 studios working on the other games, while Sledgehammer haven't officially made their own full title yet, the 2 studio heads came from working on Dead Space at Visceral.

It sounds cliche saying "We haven't given them a chance yet" but what I mean is, they literally haven't had a chance to give us what they see in a Call Of Duty title, MW3 was just them following orders.

• Tech Admin

As much as I preach quality; I just want my damn zombies. Who wants to put a PC build list together for me? I started assembling a parts list a while back, but got caught up in console games. All it would need to do is run custom zombies.

Whats the budget, wireless keyboard mouse, size of monitor, graphics card etc?

Whats the budget, wireless keyboard mouse, size of monitor, graphics card etc?

browse newegg.com for computer parts

• Tech Admin

It sounds cliche saying "We haven't given them a chance yet" but what I mean is, they literally haven't had a chance to give us what they see in a Call Of Duty title, MW3 was just them following orders.

I know, they need a chance to show us what they can do. I won't buy it, if it doesn't offer something new. I haven't bought ghosts and I've bought every game since COD Finest hour (which if memory serves me was the first in the installment). I definitely will not buy it for multiplayer that's a fact. I've not bought Ghosts because I don't think it's offering anything new and I'm not going to pay £50 for the game and then another £35/40 for the season pass for the same s***e but just a different year.

I would give them the money for zombies DLC but that's just me, it offers something different but it's going to be a tough 21 or so months before the next Treyarch release.

I know, they need a chance to show us what they can do. I won't buy it, if it doesn't offer something new. I haven't bought ghosts and I've bought every game since COD Finest hour (which if memory serves me was the first in the installment. I definitely will not buy it for multiplayer that's a fact. I've not bought Ghosts because I don't think it's offering anything new and I'm not going to pay £50 for the game and then another £35/40 for the season pass for the same s***e but just a different year.

I would give them the money for zombies DLC but that's just me, it offers something different but it's going to be a tough 21 or so months before the next Treyarch release.

Yeh I understand, I just don't want people to rule it out straight away.

Anyway, if you guys want some better news.

The actual earnings report might possibly be detailing Activision's plans to bring Call Of Duty: Online to the west soon. (It could also be very bad wording too)

So there's still hope for something Zombies related this year! Haha

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ACTI/2894326457x0x724014/9b1383c9-ac48-4600-800a-536e7f7a9d96/ATVI_Q4_2013_Earnings_Release_with_tables.pdf

Yeh I understand, I just don't want people to rule it out straight away.

Anyway, if you guys want some better news.

The actual earnings report might possibly be detailing Activision's plans to bring Call Of Duty: Online to the west soon. (It could also be very bad wording too)

So there's still hope for something Zombies related this year! Haha

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ACTI/2894326457x0x724014/9b1383c9-ac48-4600-800a-536e7f7a9d96/ATVI_Q4_2013_Earnings_Release_with_tables.pdf

This is definitely a positive, on an otherwise rainy day for me.

I do agree that the game (MW4 or whatever it will be) deserves a chance, but like Hell said, I too have completely found myself burned out with MP! I bought Ghosts in the hope that Extinction was going to be something that could fill the void left by zombies. Unfortunately this has not been the case. My last hope for that game mode was fluttered away when the first DLC dropped. Same as PoC but in a different environment.

Custom zombies will keep me occupied for some time, but it never can compete with the ease of playing console zombies, and I am now intrigued to see if this next title has something with this side of the community in mind.

Also noticed a few retweets from a certain area in the community claiming we WILL still be seeing zombies in 2014!?!

Either way, I am still depressed. That bottle of Jack on my shelf is looking mighty tempting right now.

Hmm what interesting news.

There's obviously good and bad points to this, but I like to think there are more good points.

This title could revitalize the CoD franchise, since it's a new developer.

That said, this doesn't change the problem of a yearly CoD release, and how that itself is killing CoD.

But it means 2 years to complete every CoD than, which may see a higher standard of quality itself. This in turn will help Zombies.
But we don't get any Zombie news for the two years. Waiting for the N4 is going to kill me.
On the upside, waiting an extra year for Zombies can bring back that spark for us since some people are still burned out on Zombies.

And for me personally, I won't have to get a PS4 right away. That would've been the only reason I upgraded, with this wait, I can kick back and still enjoy my PS3 and hopefully await a PS4 Slim announcement before than.

This totally reminded me of Homer's interaction with the Frogurt guy in the Halloween episode.

BOOOOOOO!...

Don't they have enough of the multiplayer experience to NOT include another company to reap the rewards? Don't get me wrong, I'm sure waiting the extra year will now get rid of Jimmy's "We didn't have enough time" excuse on the game but two, to three years for zombies? I was really looking forward to next gen zombies, guess I'll just have to be patient. Hope I can talk about BO2 for the next two years lol.

This will be a real test to those who really enjoy talking/theorizing about zombies, only so many topics and subject to cover before there isn't anything left.

On a plus side...I've found my excuse to get another computer for gaming only, see you in the custom scene!