If You Could Choose Only One, Which Element Would You Bring Back?

Which one do you want to stay?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do like the inclusion of the Origins Chest Objectives. I thought those rewards were good for the short amount of time needed. 

Though I like having Objectives, they just take so freaking long to play a game. Classic Zombies was always about setting yourself up from the amount of zombies per round, building points, then spending your points on Perks & Weapons.. Though you don't have to complete the objectives, if you want the best weapons i.e. Staffs, you have to spend so much time getting them & upgrading them. I don't have alot of time to play, so a fast game is a good game for me.

So the inclusion I really like, is also a hindrance. They just need to find the right balance.

Nice Topic too BS.

• Administrators

I would have not lumped the weapon storage and bank together. I loved the idea of storing a weapon, but hated the bank. Having a helpful weapon early on is cool, but having three upgraded guns, all the perks, and everything open on round one really makes the low rounds 15dqm3o.jpgpointless. yeaaaaahhhh. So since that was not an option I selected challenges, because I did like the idea of mixing it up a bit with the game play.

Honestly, I specifically hope they do NOT bring back most of those things. 

I voted for the Challenge chest, because I thought that was extremely innovative and a fantastic addition.

Buildables, I could take or leave.  (mainly no buildable WW's is the main concern, I like the zombie shield and tramplesteam and such)

digging i think should be a one trick pony for origins.

Transport around the map is iffy to me.  Stuff like teleporters and short ride things (like the gondola in MotD or the zip line in shi no numa) are more appropriate.  I am firmly against anything for long rides like a bus.

Definitely against game ending cutscenes for EE.  I want a special reward that will drastically improve my survival chances for doing such a hard task, not something ill only ever do one time.

I'm for persistent upgrades, but with one condition, it needs to be more clear what was earned and how it was earned.  The game has been out for 15 months and there are still things nobody has any clue what causes the green smoke.  There should be some sort of HUD display to show active upgrades

Bank has to go, and the weapon storage IMO should too.  made it wayyy too easy and too far removed from the original gameplay within zombies

I don't mind two sided easter eggs where at some point there is a fork in the road.  They could have done so much more with that in BO2.

and the big hillbilly in Buried is also a one map character. no need to see him back ever again

:edit:  after re-reading my post, it sounds like I'm super negative about BO2, when that is not the case really (tranzit excluded)

I just think many of these things were stepping stones that they could use feed back from the community to implement even better different new things in the next installment

Edited by the_clay_bird

Buildables I thought were alright. I'd like to see their return on a few conditions.

-No buildable wonderweapons UNLESS there are four. Even then it's iffy, I'd still rather some other method besides running around grabing parts. However 4 Wonderweapons in the Box would be gross. I'd like some method of getting the weapon without using the box. Maybe building, or enabling (like Der Riese Pack-a-punch) some special Wonder Weapon locker or something...

-More than one USEFULL buildable. I'm not talking necessary, like the turbine, or ridiculous like the turret. I'm talking something I'll WANT to have at all times, like the shield. Make me struggle with the choice between shield or this other thing. Dont just make buildables for the sake of buildables.

-Die Rise and TranZit had it right. Keep all the parts, in a relatively small area, near the work bench. Buried turned me off by putting them all in the one building, far from work benches.

So, Buildables: Yes (improvements encourgaed.)

Persistent Upgrades, they were kind of a mess. The concept is alright, and some of them were fun. The steel barricades, and the headshot bonus were nice and relatively well made. Some were fun because they were simple OP. Like Flopper, the Perk Retention Upgrade, and even the Double Points upgrade. I'd do things like this IF they were to be brought back:

-Make them harder to earn, but also harder to lose. The Barricade is easy to lose. Flopper is easy to lose. It's annoying.

-Give us somewhere to see which ones we have and which ones we dont. Put up descriptions of how to get them and what they do.

-I'd have the upgrades be unlocked and lost by in game activities, BUT you'd have go into a My Upgrades menu to enable them for use. You'd only be allowed to have 4 or so active. If they aren't active, you can't lose them. But you also don't get their effect.

So, Persistant Upgrades: Meh (if yes, preferably with serious overhaul.)

The Bank was a problem. I'd only feel negative about it's returning. I'd feel less negative, still negative though, if:

-Withdrawls per round were limited.

-It was hidden away in a dangerous area, in one of the last possible rooms to open.

The Weapon Locker has more promise. However I think it too must be hidden in a dangerous area in the last possible room to open. Getting to it too early makes the game a little too easy.

So, Bank: Absolutely not (major changes please if you really must bring it back.)

Weapon Locker: Maybe (please hide it a little better)

Two sided Easter Eggs... I'm not sure. It's a cool concept, but so much can go so wrong with it. For starters, it usually requires one side to either win or be cannonized. Which makes the other side pointless. To be worth having two seperate EEs they must be different. Different steps, maybe even different rewards. However to be fair, they must not be easier or more beneficial than the other.

I'd rather they spend more time figuring out cool things in the map, than trying to balance two seperate EEs.

The button was a neat concept, but far too picky, and overall a hassle bacause of the reset it caused to all your EE progress.

So, Two Sided Easter Egg: I'd rather not (but it won't upset me)

Button: Not without overhaul.

Game Over Cutscenes, No. Just no. If you want the EE to queue a cutscene to play upon the tradtional game over via death, that's fine. That'd be cool. Please don't end our game because of the EE though. It removes any desire to do the EE more than once. Origins was alright, in that the cutscene could be avoided on the last step, and you'd still have the elemental fists and the not-so-crazy place, but still. No ending our games.

Game Over Cutscenes: No. (Not unless they're played after we all naturally die.)

Dig system. Just like the hacker, it was a nice little unique feature for a single map. I liked it a lot. I wish things like this would appear more often than just the finally maps. I don't necessarily want to see the dig system become an every map thing though. I just like the neat little innovations.

Dig system: Kind of. (Something similar but not the same would be prefered)

Challenge system, yes oh yes. Although I have some thoughts on that as well:

-Some maps (either half of the story maps, or all of the alternate "survival version" of the story maps) should have short, minimal objectives. Like turn on the power or get 115 headshots at MOST. Some people most of the time, or most people some of the time, don't want to go through massive complex hoops every zombies game.

-Some maps (either half of the story maps, or all of the "Main Story" modes of the story maps should have small objectives mized with several larger objectives, such as obtaining the hells retriever or upgrading the Origins staves, at MINIMUM. Some of us love the complexity and the objectives present in those maps. I absolutely love it. Is it a hassle sometimes? Of course! Do I want it reduced or gotten rid of? Not a chance. I think these kinds of innovations is what keeps ME interested in zombies. I do however hope they try to please both sides with REAL survival gamemodes. Not the crappy Green Run types we got. (Although Town isn't too bad.)

So, Challenge system: Yes please! (but do be careful...)

Interactive Objects, this one is tough. I like the TranZit bus. I don't like TranZit. I think TranZit could have been more popular if you were able to control the denizen teleports in some way, or if they were more predictable.

The bus is cool. Being forced to ride the bus is not. So, if there is to be another map where a large defendable transport is present, there must be offered a secondary choice that isn't just walking. Being able to turn on teleporters at each stop for future use perhaps.

I like them, but I could live without them.

Interactive Objects: Yes (But give us alternates for the BIG Transports.)

The Big Guy, just like the hacker and digging, it was a one map thing. I'd rather not see something like him again. He gave us nice features, but he was annoying, and quite OP. I'd rather see a stationary machine, or a mobile equipment version of him.

Big Guy: No thanks....

Other. Well.

- I think they need to add many more doors, and take away the short cuts they insisted on puting into TranZit, Die Rise, and Buried. They promote rushing waay too much. To be ready for your end game strategy before round 2 is a joke.

-We need a legitimate Survival Mode for every Story Map.

--The whole map should be usable (Still need to by doors though), BUT

--buildables should already be built. They should insted require a purchase.

--individual power systems (Generators, Voltmeters) should all be rerouted to a single power switch,

--Challenge items (Hell's retriever) should be purchasable instead of earned.

--Upgrade challenges for Wonder Weapons, should be replaced with a simple (maybe two or three times more expensive) Pack-A-Punch.

--Persistent Upgrades should be disabled.

- I think LATE game should be considered more. Origins tried with making some doors ridiculously expensive, but that's not enough. There needs to be some doors or machines or weapons, or something that simply Level-locked. Not available until round 20 or 30 or even 40. HOWEVER, this should not apply to most things. It should not apply to 90% of things. There should be a feasible (but maybe not ideal) set up that can be aquired before round 20. Everything unlocked with time, should just be icing on the cake. Sick of point spamming with that wall gun? Buy this super sniper off the wall for some fun. Sick of reloading? Buy this auto-feed perk that just unlocked on round 40 that makes your clip the size of your entire ammo reserves. And stuff like that.

-Innovation. Compared to BO1, BO2 Zombies tried many many more new ideas. Both in map design, and in the gameplay. I'd like to see that continue. BO1 mainly capitalized off of making Der Riese clones with minor mutations, getting more mutated with each DLC.

BO2 tried something mostly new almost everytime (arguments can be made for Origins Similarity to MotD, I know, but it's still very new)

I hope that continues. Sure it means they'll risk making a less popular map. But it'll give them more feed back for unique ideas to put into the NEXT map. Just repeating the Der Riese clones, will make every map feel the same.

Well. There you have my thoughts. Enjoy

I was going to quote your post MegaAfroMan, but i think I can just sum it up by saying I agree with almost everything.

The only argument I have is about the in-game objects like the bus.  The problem about that is, for instance if the denizens teleports were more predictable, or if there was another mode of transport that was faster and easier, then what's the point of the bus (or whatever the mode of transport would be)  Seems like at that point it would be there just to be there (and be largely ignored i'd imagine)

Otherwise I think I agree with everything you wrote  :)

• Administrators

Black Ops 2, despite all the negativity floating around it, actually brought us some really awesome concepts that we would never expect. Sure, it was different from the classic vibe of pure survival in Zombies, but it really gave color to the mode with all the creative juices pulsating through it.

Personally, I'd love to see more buildables. But rather than have one item depend on another to function, make them resourceful outside of pure killing. The Wind Turbine, Trample Steam, and Maxis Drone were perfect examples of that. It's clear we like buildables that not only kill, but give us some form of protection while making us chuckle (Trample Steams anyone)?

It's already been said enough times, but Challenges were awesome in Origins. I want to say that even one standalone challenge really kept me playing. There is some Zombie mentality where I want to complete a given task if I know that the reward is...well, rewarding. Nothing gave me more goosebumps than obtaining the One-Inch Fist after killing tons of freakbags while avoiding the Giants and Panzer Soldats. The concept of challenge without an alarmingly impossibly difficulty really gave the definition of Zombies survival in my opinion. Let's see more of those, but don't force them onto players like the Side Quests.

As much as I love cutscenes, I don't believe in them for Zombies. There is a golden nugget in terms of making theories when a map delivers a specific ending via Easter Egg completion. By not giving us a cutscene, we're allowed to form ideas, theories, and creative explanations to what just happened and what it will mean alter down the road.

Interactive objects are always a plus for me. Some don't like the extra effort being made to avoid them at times, but I think it gives that extra danger element to playing. We all know how to hold ourselves down when training zombies. Knowing the map's layout and learning the best routes will come naturally over time but once it's learned, all that's left is endurance. Put something in there to benefit in which that object can help or hinder our performance. The bus in Tranzit is a prime example of just that.

Origins Challenge Chest for me. This needs to be included in all future maps, with differing objectives.

Buildables come a real close second. But only when they're done right. Zombie Shield, Trample Steam and Maxis' Drone were great buildables. I want more like those, but especially the Trample Steam. The way it alters gameplay by sending you places was great, we need more like that, that directly change map dynamics sorta.

Challenges, like getting the Max Ammo, PaP weapon and free perk were all great ideas and forced each player into doing the challenges on their own if they wanted them... ie: no one could carry the player or get the challenges for them.

All other inclusions like buildables and persistent perks were completely garbage and should only come back if they are worthwhile. Take the awful Tranzit buildables. Aside from being forced into building the Turbine, none of them were actually worthwhile. They did not even work well!? No one even builds them anymore they are so awful. Testers did NOT do their job that day!

Buried was just as bad. They put the trample steam in that map and it was only useful for glitchers. Rest of the buildables were aimed at noob campers. Where is the buildables for solo players? or for that matter, ones that do not require a bloody turbine to power them?? Can't tell you the amount of times I picked up a brand new turbine only to place it at an awful buildable to kill just a handful of zombies only to see it break apart instantly!?! Head Chopper is the only decent buildable outside of the shield they came up with, and these are things they should work upon if they do intend on bringing such things back.

Either way, they need to scrap the vast majority of what they added into BO2 and go back to the drawing board. Most people hated BO2 for a reason, and the game mode needs drastic changes if it is to continue.

Challenges are the way forward... that and decent EE's that don't glitch out, and actually have decent rewards that are not overshadowed by in-game rewards that are much easier to obtain than doing a broken and boring EE. ie : A power up drop on Tranzit (Really!?!), all the perks on Die Rise (obtained via the novas much easier), nothing on MotD, Perma perks on Buried (Persistent Tombstone anyone?), and nothing on Origins (Crazy place opened if that counts, but not worthwhile or even remotely good enough).

Face it... BO3 or whatever it will be called needs DRASTIC changes. I know this is an opinion by many too, so not just me venting steam.

I'd choose  2-sided EEs, with Challenges coming a close second. I was really pumped at the idea that the community influenced the story. It really made me feel that we had a choice on how the storyline progresses. However, my hopes and dreams were shattered when Team Maxis and Team Richtofen amounted to nothing. Hopefully in the next game our choices will matter and whichever side had the most "votes" (The one you do first in the map is your one and only vote) will influence the canon for the next map, and on a grander scale, the story. However, Team Zombies needs to make sure the EE steps are fair to both sides and ambiguous enough to not have people flock to one side for the "Good Ending" but at the same time answer questions and tie up loose ends. 

If only one, I'd want Challenges back. However, I'd rather have more than three in a map, and have them be dynamic. Having the goals are good, but it'd be even better if they changed from game to game. One game, for example, a Challenge could be to kill 50 Zombies with only the standard M1911, whereas in another game, there would be a Challenge to survive five rounds without spending points instead. Also, make the rewards dynamic too. You could get more perks instead of weapons, or a bunch of Max Ammos, or a bunch of points, etc. Just seems like something that would make Zombies even better in future maps.

@ Flammen

I like those ideas. Would you want it to be like multiplayer where you have a checklist (as such) of different challenges & rewards, or just be a built in randomization?

Either way, I think that would be a great addition to gameplay. Perhaps it could also be something you can turn on or off for the game?

@ Flammen

I like those ideas. Would you want it to be like multiplayer where you have a checklist (as such) of different challenges & rewards, or just be a built in randomization?

Either way, I think that would be a great addition to gameplay. Perhaps it could also be something you can turn on or off for the game?

I was thinking of like five to ten random Challenges per game that you could do. Maybe some of them could be map-specific (ie. Kill 100 Zombies with the special map-exclusive trap). It'd also be neat to have some sort of checklist that showed what Challenges you've had, completed, how many times you've completed them, and all that. Challenges that you haven't received yet would still remain blank in the list until you encounter it (and complete it). Think the Pokedex in the Pokemon games. :P

I'm actually surprised that people liked the challenges so much. But I feel if they put to many challenges into the game people will start saying 'omgz they are forcing me to do this. This game sucks.' That is what a few people said with the easter egg once motd came out. People were upset that it was so easter egg oriented that they started disliking the map. And I'm afraid if they put so many challenges into the map people will complain, because lets face it a majority will complain over anything. As long as they don't cross that line, I would like to see the challenges return also.

And I couldn't figure out how to make it a 2 choice option. So I just stuck to one :)

I voted for Bank/Weapon storage, more for the weapon storage.

Points, whatever they are fun to stack and knowing you have filled 250k points on reserve is always a good feeling, but I enjoy more the fact that I can put my weapon in storage to use in other maps, as well as the idea of creating new weapons that don't offer whatever weapon you've stored. It's a solid idea that allows for a quick start, and almost assures survival until you can get juggernog. If they removed the bank and kept the weapon storage I wouldn't mind, most weapons that can be stored are great for gathering points anyway, and the fact you cant store Rayguns or any WunderWeapon (including M&S) keeps it from being too over powered.

It cuts down on box usage, a lot of times I only need one weapon well into the 20s so while everyone is hitting the box for their desired weapon, then having to PaP it, I am already set for the next 20+ rounds. For someone like me that hates early rounds, I appreciated the idea of having points/weapons, it's the closest to a "Save" that we'll get, besides it's a feature that isn't required for progression, so those who find it "game breaking" or just too easy can ignore it altogether and it changes absolutely nothing.

You misunderstand the reason people don't like "game breaking" or "easy" inclusions. It's not always because it is too easy for them, it's often because it waters down the difficulty for everyone.

No intelligent person going for a world record would choose to avoid things that they feel makes the game "too easy" so they can't just ignore it.

There is no feature on the leader boards seperating people who use the bank from people who don't.

It doesn't affect your game if you ignore the bank, but it affects how your game relates to everyone elses.

You could say that doesn't matter, but if that were true, the leaderboards would have been removed ages ago for being a waste of space.

Most people can PaP a weapon in the first 10-15 rounds depending on drops and over all skill. Leaderboards shouldn't be broke up into who uses what, in terms of weapon storage, I find little to no difference in skill or how it changes the games difficulty. I also find zero challenge in early rounds so to me, it's just a matter of saving time powering through those rounds as I get off work late and don't want my games running into the 4-5 am range :)

It's been an ongoing debate since they were discovered, but I have to disagree on the weapon storage, to me it only saves me the half hour to hour it takes to find that weapon and PaP it, not to mention getting to the rounds that prove difficult, it just saves me time.

With the bank, I could very much agree with you, I use it, but rarely. It tends to curve the difficulty to the easy side, you can have whatever you need, at any time as long as you have lots of points. I see it as a way to keep the casual player interested in the game, like I said before it's almost like a save feature but of course doesn't save rounds. Anyway, that was my vote and I'm sticking by it ;)  

I like the idea of challenges in zombies. Like the others have said they shouldn't be too difficult, and should also be rewarding. They need to offer a good reward so that instead of feeling like you're being forced to do them you actually want to do them.

My idea for challenges has to do with pack a punch.

Say you have a Galil. Instead of just spending 5000 points to upgrade it, you have to get 50 headshots and kill 115 zombies before you're allowed to.

Or you can complete the challenges for that weapon and get a separate upgrade from a different machine.

You could also pack a punch your gun like normal, but if you complete the challenges first than you get something extra when you upgrade it, like extended mags or a red dot sight.

Random changing challenges sound nice. Just so your it adds more dynamics.

I remember back before BO2, a couple of people including me suggested BO1 Contracts be added. I think for that to work, there would have to be some form of progression/levelling up system.

Oh and like Lenne said, the HUD's were nice, and so was the music. The changing themes of the Round Start/End were cool, but I think an option should be in to turn the Themed HUD's/Music On/Off. Sometimes I just like the original HUD/Round Start and Finish music. Just gives that classic kick ass feel (Still love the Themed stuff though, especially Buried!).