Instakill Rounds: A Fool's Guide

INSTA-KILL ROUNDS: A Fool's Guide

Hello people of CoDz, Awful Lawton here. Today, I will discuss another facet of zombies: The Instakill bug.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

A. What are instakill rounds?

B. The Confirmed List (Black ops 1 Only)

C. Strategies

D. Closing

A. What Are Insta-kill rounds?

As many people know, the zombie count and health go up every round. But what happens when you reach round 163? Well, that question's answer is simple. When you reach 163 (or 208 on WaW), the Zombies become 'instakill zombies.' (In layman's terms, the zombies' health is 150 hp, just like round one.) As one can imagine, these rounds are NOT a cheat or mod, it is just a natural occurence. These rounds are (from personal experience) fun to play, since you can watch zombies just die at anything you throw at them and also watching your points go up. Also, they occur every TWO rounds from 163 to 185, and then have a pattern of 2 normal rounds to 2 instakill rounds back-to-back. This guide will pertain to what rounds the zombies' health is 150 hp, and general strategies.

B: Confirmed List of Insta-Kill rounds

On  Black Ops 1, this is the confirmed list of insta-kill rounds:

163, 165, 167, 169, 171, 173, 175, 177, 179, 181, 183, 185, 188, 189, 191, 194, 196, 197, 199, 202, 204, 205, 207, 210

C: General Strategies  (WaW and BO)

As one can imagine, there are various strategies for the insta-kill rounds. The map-by-map strategies are below.

For Nacht der Untoten on WaW, just spray the zombies with the flamethrower.

On Verruckt, no general strategies have been used.

On Shi No Numa, chuck a grenade in the swamp near the flogger. If it is instakill, use a tommy or box gun.

For Kino der Toten, PaP the AK74u and camp near the back window, shooting zombies coming from BOTH directions

For Five, Use the group-up strategy on the top floor and spray them with the MPL.

For Ascension, either run PaP with an M72 law, or camp spawn with Mnesia.

For Moon, the WR holders both camped outside with an FU2.

For BO1 Shi No Numa, TheeFrenzy would camp the zipline, and drop down when zombies surrounded him.

On Der Riese, camp the Double Tap Ledge/ Tommy Room to rack up kills.

D. CLOSING

In general, the insta-kill rounds are something everyone should experience. But, it takes 50 hours+ to reach these rounds on BO. And, more often then not, people recieve script errors/reset messages when they get this far. Personally, I have done instakill round games on WaW SNN, Der Riese BO, and Ascension.

Happy Zombie Playing! ~

Awful Lawton

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always wondered what InstaKill rounds would be like, since I've never had the time nor patience to go for the high high high rounds.

This is a good guide, so +1 to you good sir.

They're awesome, I can tell you that. Also, I need to get the shang EE done (already have a group of 3 friends). Your guide will definitely help us.

Solid post, I don't have nearly enough drive to go that high. I have always thought that was an interesting feature and a well deserved bonus for players who have the dedication to survive for that long.

Definitely agreed,when I first hit 208 (On SNN WaW), I was freaking out, thinking "wow, this is awesome!" The one thing I hate about the instakill bug is the constant need for 420 impeller ammo on der riese, otherwise you wouldn't really need to hit the box during these rounds.

Chances are, they were instances in BO and WaW where the health forumula returned as "undefinied" and so the game assigned them the base value of 150.

255 is a common error number for coding if not worked around. I believe it has to do with where bits max out and become a byte or something along that range.

I believe PacMan supposed crashes after the 255th level or something like that. I dunno. I'm not bothering to fact check any of this right now.

It could be that, as pacman does have the level 255 glitch. What I'll assume is that bo2's complete overhaul made it so that in order for someone to glitch that high, they ended up creating an 'instakill' situation, with the game not registering the code for the health. Sorry if that was WAY inaccurate, I know about bits and whatnot, but not THAT much.

This is a great thread.

I'll never have the skill, patience or will power to leave my Xbox on that long. Maybe I just keep restarting to play Round 1 insta kill rounds?

Nice post Awful Lawton.

FYI ~ Kill Screens

Wiki

A kill screen is a stage or level in a video game (often an arcade game) that stops the player's progress due to a software bug. Kill screens can result in unpredictable gameplay and bizarre glitches.

Games known to have a kill screen include Pac Man and Donkey Kong.

Pac-Man has a kill screen on level 256 based on an integer overflow. Ars Technica calls this "one of the most well known accidental endings in gaming".

A screenshot of level 256, otherwise known as the "Split-Screen Level", in Pac-Man. Due to a bug in a drawing routine, the game — which reads the "number of fruit to draw" value as 0 because 256 cannot fit in 8 bits — attempts to draw 256 fruit, which fails and results in VRAM being overwritten with garbage tile references.

Pac-Man_split-screen_kill_screen.png

THATS IT! Thanks PINNAZ.

If zombies uses a round counter based on the same premise, expecting no one to get that high, then after 255, it'd fall apart. Or at least everything affected by the counter would fall apart.

However I have no clue if that's really how zombies reflects it's rounds value in the equations for health and so on.

Great idea BS, I don't have that much skill but there's bound to be someone to answer the challenge.

It was very funny for me to read about the PacMan bug, as I refer to 3arc's zombie mode as a really violent PacMan. I didn't know about the instakill rounds, all these years later and I still get to learn new things. I bet if someone fixed the bug in a Pacman cabinet they could set some new world records ;)