Chopper's Speed Run Guide To Kino - Version 2014

Chopper

Chopper's speed run guide to Kino

Why write a speed guide to Kino, a map that has been out 4 years?  
-  People are playing BO again, and looking for new ways to do things.  I'm pretty certain there will be something in here that people will not know about.

Why do you need a speed run?
-  Again, people are looking for new ways to spice up old maps.  You have the guys who play the maps regularly purely for 'fun', generally quitting at a certain point.  This gives them a new challenge.
Then you have the 100 hunters.....this is the fastest way to play Kino.  Then you have the WR shooters....if you want a WR, you really need to play as fast as possible to reduce potential script errors later; plus, when you know you need to be playing for 60 hours or so, if you can reduce that by up to 10 hours, why wouldn't you?

Where has this guide come from?
-  Personal knowledge, friends advice.  Inspired in parts by 5and5, HoardKillRepeat and ilSteveLi.

Playing a challenge 2 years ago now, the Bulldogs by accident discovered and then implemented into gameplay something already known, novas only spawn if you enter particular areas after the power is on. Looking for camping challenges, the novas were messing everything up.

This may have been known regarding novas, but no-one ever took advantage of it.  We ended up camping the firetrap room without novas.

Since then, HKR and 5and5 has used part of what I'm going to describe.
HKR showed a fast start method, which was specific to just staying in the firetrap room with TG and ray gun, and using the trap constantly.

5and5 has done what I'm going to describe, which I found out just yesterday when speaking with Steve, who also used the same method and is currently paused on 150ish.

THE GUIDE ITSELF.

Round 1/lobby : restart until the box spawns in the MPL room.
If you go to the upper level window in spawn, you can't miss the box if it's there.
Hit that box asap and get it moved.  Ideally you want one of the trinity - Ray Gun, TG or Ray Gun.  In fact, if you don't get one of these, restart imo.  Not strictly necessary, but it can make it smoother later.
Ray Gun is 1, Monkeys are 2, TG is least important.

You want to camp in the spawn room until round 15 or so, and if you get just ray gun you can.  A nice setup is Galil or RPK with Ray Gun.  If you get Thunder gun, 20 is not out of bounds.
Buy QR.

Your mindset is kill as fast as possible, and try and take advantage of the fire*****s to work towards your final setup.
Buy QR.

Round 10-20ish : you can camp until 10 in spawn, no problems at all.  TBH though, if you are struggling to get past that in here, the rest of the guide is probably not going to be much use.  It's a very high skill requirement to run the final location, and if you can't run the spawn I don't think you can run the firetrap.
Buy QR.

Whenever you can't hold spawn, start moving around the map with closed doors behind you.  Spawn, the portrait room, mp40, dressing room and then you are on the stage.  Turn on power whenever you wish.

RULES -
You are not allowed to set foot in spawn, ever.  That is it.  If you go into spawn, the roof will partially collapse and then novas will be coming, which is not good.  Novas slow down the strategy, and make parts of it harder due to their lack of speed.
You can still hit the box in spawn, however.  Enter from PM63, and stay back along the wall.  Creep towards the box, and as soon as you see x or square appear, hit it.  Do not get any closer.

Rounds 15 - 35ish :  
Setup - You can play like a mad man, and hit the boxes mid round....chasing them.  It's a bit too hard to advise how to do this, you will either know how or die trying ;)  The other option is too take it a bit slower, and hit boxes end of rounds.
Jugg and Speed are necessary, Mule Kick is required eventually either way.  If you don't have monkeys from the box, definitely take this so you can 'spin' the box when required.
nb - Luck can play a huge part in this.  I've had RG and TG out of that first box on a few occasions, but then I've had to move the box 10 times to get all my toys.  In some ways, if this happens and you are going for pure speed, maybe restart.

Gameplay - theory.

This is the fastest place on the map you can be.  There is a technically faster spot, but it's just not worth it imo.  Electricity room is too unreliable, only works until mid 50s and requires you to open doors which will mess up the end game strategy.  No novas and the back door of the firetrap means they will flood in from 6 windows only, the spawn 4 and the MPL 2.  Use your weapons freely until the mid 20s, ammo shouldn't be an issue.  Throw in the firetrap every now and again, points pertaining.  Once your guns just don't quite cut it, you are going to be following a strategy of firetrap on, once off hoarding and TG/RG hoards and half hoards.

The running path is actually 'simple' kinda.  
If you understand how to cut back/out, jump sideways and step delay with confidence, you will be ok.  
Jumping sideways uses two/three 'avoidance' tactics in combination.  Turning sideways reduces your profile, enabling you to squeeze through gaps.  Jumping is used to avoid the second incoming hit.  I struggle to explain this one, but it's basically knowing that a zombie hitting you will stun both you and him...if you jump through a gap or past one, you are generally far enough past them to avoid the second hit.  Watch any of anyones NML videos for this.  The third use is the intial 90 degree turn actually being a screen shake in itself....screen shaking is just timing a direction change in comparison to zombies path/location and animation.  The mashing you see just excaberates this fact....mashing makes it so that odds are you will perform an actual screen shake, at the expense of fine control.  With correct timing, you don't need to mash, just move.
Step delay - I've never seen this mentioned anywere....it's something I've done almost since I began playing, and I'm sure many do it as well without even realising.  If you run towards a zombie and stop dead, they are forced to stop to begin their hitting animation.  This can stop zombies behind them, and each time you do it you probably gain 2 seconds or so.  Once you understand it, you won't even get hit most of the time.
A cut out is when you perform a cut back (180 turn of direction) but move inside out during it.  It's a delaying tactic ultimately; you head and perform a little circle to the inside of the path you are cutting back on.  It takes a second longer than a cut back, but all the seconds add you.

Kiting is ultimately path management, and all the delaying tactics are used to 'pile' up the zombies, getting tight groups immediately.   
2 seconds is a shed load of time in a tight area.  Combinations of drag outs, cut outs and step delaying are essential for clearing windows, stragglers and tight gaps.

The running path :
With all that said, here's the path.  You always start in the trap at the back, that little location where you can't be hit.  When it goes off, head forward and to the right off the weird barrier thing.  From there, imagine a path that horseshoes from that starting point, to that window, back in front of the trap and then to the MPL corner.  You need to get used to always going in front of the trap....as soon as you go behind, you are probably going to have to use your TG which is a really bad habit to get into.  Ideally, you want to get behind the zombies coming out of the windows as it delays by a second or two.

When to change :
Until about round 35 it's repeating the trap on, when off hoard for a bit then TG or RG.  You should have no ammo issues prior to this.  Once you start running into ammo problems, it 's time to run the pretty standard double trap strategy for Kino.  The major difference is that rounds will be up to 33% faster than when you have novas.  It's going to be closer to 20% in the long run, but I have seen up to that speed.

Cons to this - one QR only, no PAP.  These things aren't the end of the world.  If you are aiming for 100, you probably aren't going to do it if you go down in the first 50 rounds more than once.  If you do go down, decide if you want to sacrifice speed for QR, it's that simple.  5and5 got to 99 with 1 down, Steve got to 113 with no downs.  Special players maybe, but it's not out of reach for many players.

I have footage for this strategy, but will not do a video without feedback.  It takes a lot of effort to make a video for specific strategies, especially as I only do them for CODZ and not my channel.  Any feedback or explanations required, will be included.
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Jay I assumed some things which I should have added.

Nova crawlers will only appear in certain areas once you 'activate' their locations. making the roofs drop giving them a path to you.  If you are in the MPL room with the back door shut, zombies only spawn from that room and spawn.  You want to stop novas spawning in the spawn room, and so once you turn the power on you can't go back into spawn.  There is a line where the floor changes colour leading to the teleporter pad that you can't cross.  You can hit the box by doing as I said and entering from PM63, and not getting too close.  The main strategy is getting into the MPL room with no novas and setup.  You could do that in the safest way you want, maybe running the stage until 20 and you will still get the bonus and additional challenge of no novas in a really fun area to run.

Good strat Chopper, I horde up the MPL room whenever I need to save TG Ammo. Also, shouldn't you try to get a crossbow at 35 to save your ass when still doing the MPL Room?

Unfortunately you need to PAP the crossbow which means entering spawn.  But you can get to 100 in 8 hours, which is really quick.

• Administrators

Definitely have two try this. I heard about the stopping animation but never seen it in action nor have I ever recalled purposefully doing it. It's a shame that you can't Pack-a-Punch (as I absolutely love using my M&S), but hey - those traps are going to do me a great favor. :D

Do you think having Double Tap may compliment the Ray Gun? I would assume not; however, I recall it being useful for that extra Ray Gun pounding (given the TG is out of ammo if inaccessible).

Oh, it makes sense.Then this would be as fast as 5and5's DR Strat. Also, would you like to see a tnread pretaining to insta-kill rounds?

Yeah that would be great mate.  I have never done insta kill, and will probably not.  I can see myself playing for the 10 hours or what not required for 100, even over 2 days......but when you are looking at 30 hours over 3 days, it's just not going to happen for me.  

It's weird but I know so much about them, but only because I have been in parties with a fair few people who have been on those rounds.  Would be great if you could write anything, and I could add any little snippets of information my friends have told me.

Definitely have two try this. I heard about the stopping animation but never seen it in action nor have I ever recalled purposefully doing it. It's a shame that you can't Pack-a-Punch (as I absolutely love using my M&S), but hey - those traps are going to do me a great favor. :D

Do you think having Double Tap may compliment the Ray Gun? I would assume not; however, I recall it being useful for that extra Ray Gun pounding (given the TG is out of ammo if inaccessible).

I'm not sure that DT affects the Ray Gun, but if it did it would be worthwhile.  Managing ammo across the TG and RG is easier when you can really get rid of a hoard quickly with a RG.

Awesome post! This is basically what I do for speedruns and high rounds.

Thanks J.  I think the key is in the lack of novas, rather than the rest.  If no novas will save you I reckon 20 minutes at least to 50, you can waste 20 minutes getting setup in comfort ;)

Thanks Chops, good tips. So we are trading our freedom to roam the spawn for no nova crawlers, but would they still appear on the theatre?

How about coop with randoms? Where is a good alternative place to train besides the stage? The alley is too hard and spawn full of crawlers isn't ideal either.

To be honest Kino is one of my least favorite maps. Haven't touched it in years.

Thanks Chops, good tips. So we are trading our freedom to roam the spawn for no nova crawlers, but would they still appear on the theatre?

How about coop with randoms? Where is a good alternative place to train besides the stage? The alley is too hard and spawn full of crawlers isn't ideal either.

To be honest Kino is one of my least favorite maps. Haven't touched it in years.

Novas spawns in the stage no matter what when you turn on the power. You can control if they spawn in the first room and mp40 room though.

For coop random games, I would do first room. It's much faster but not as easy as stage but still fairly easy.

I know you said it was somewhat of a hassle, but I would love to see a video if you do end up making one. I knew about how to not spawn Nova's in, but was not 100% on what strategies people used with it.

Great post man!

You just do the normal fire trap strategy, just without nova or pack a punch.

• 2 weeks later...

I know you said it was somewhat of a hassle, but I would love to see a video if you do end up making one. I knew about how to not spawn Nova's in, but was not 100% on what strategies people used with it.

Great post man!

I will get it done mate.  I can only do stuff like this every other week, as I don't have my editing stuff with me in Brussels.

That's mainly due to me having to wait for HP to send me recovery disks, after I kinda wiped windows 8.  Linux just doesn't sony vegas pro, and I'll be damned if I'm going to learn some new software.  I'm back tomorrow, plan to play some heavy NML this week going for 360, but I'll finish this as well.

I'll also add you DBZ; me, you and Hell can get some games down.  My man boysta and I are on pretty much every night, always looking for 1 or 2 more for various challenges :)

Novas spawns in the stage no matter what when you turn on the power. You can control if they spawn in the first room and mp40 room though.

For coop random games, I would do first room. It's much faster but not as easy as stage but still fairly easy.

You just do the normal fire trap strategy, just without nova or pack a punch.

Yeah spawn room is good.  TBH, once worked out Kino first room strategy is really really easy.  I'd almost argue to do the first 30 rounds or so in there without turning the power on if you manage to get at least a set of monkeys and a ray gun from the box.  It's ultra quick, requires two windows boarded only and is much much fun :)
  • 2 weeks later...