Nikolai! Why Does He Keep Hearing That Name?!

Browsing around, I noticed there wasn't really a definite answer as towards why Arlington keeps hearing Nikolai's name, as evidenced in this video. 

Now that we're at the end of our journey, we finally have more clues to speculate with. What could this mean?  Since the story's all wibbly wobbly with the whole time/alternate universe thing, it's STILL anyone's guess. But my guess is that MOTD is somehow connected to Origins (most notably because of the perk machines). Because of Samatha's odd presence in Origins (I had a much more detailed post here, I'll try to look for it), she's the reason all this weird time distortion stuff is happening. 115 has the ability to dispel stuff from their proper time and place, and her somehow ending up in alternate reality France obviously messed things up. Weasel can hear Nikolai's name because it's a side effect similar to the flashing perk machines. The weapons, the perks, and so much more just don't belong in 1920's Alcatraz. Nikolai's name is simply a trace of another place, in another timeline.

I hope I'm not too confusing with this one. If you have any questions or theories of your own, please, feel free to comment below.

EDIT: Okay, just found that post!

My second and prominently shorter theory is that in order for Maxis to reach his daughter, he has to go through timelines to reach Agartha. The problem with this theory is that we have no idea why she is in Agartha when back in Black Ops 1 she was fighting the Zombies with O3. What happens to her in this timeline that requires Maxis to go to alternate-reality WW1 to save her? Did Richtofen need a place for Samantha to stay out of the way while he got his well-deserved turn and just cast her being through multiple timelines? I had a post detailing how 115 had the potential to displace objects from time and space, causing weird things to happen like flashing perks and what not, and how Sam traveling through timelines makes her the "spark" so to speak. It would make so much more sense if I could link it.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like to think that someone in Argartha maybe Samantha keeps dropping names into Arlington's mind because he is the only one who can remember but I don't know what help he could from the cycle. 

Sam doesn't appear anywhere in MOTD.

Like Richtofen.

MOTD is probably the only map in COD Zombies history (Not counting WAW's Nacht Der Untoten or DOA) that has/appears to have no relevance to the main storyline. Hence why Sam/Richtofen do not appear.

Still, I think that you're  right GameChanger. 

Also I noticed you have 115 posts. Ha ha

• 2 months later...

I don't really think there is a "main" storyline anymore with Origins revealing all the parallel universes, but I still see your point Nathan

We don't really know what happened to Takeo/Dempsey/Nikolai/Samantha(Richtofen's body) after the easter egg on Moon. After blowing up the earth though, they talk more about Richtofen, Takeo says he will make Richtofen pay for what he has done, and Sam says she'll Stop Richtofen for "Taking Daddy away".

While we don't know exactly how they tried to stop Richtofen further, My idea is that they somehow got to Aether, or maybe stuck in between the realms while trying to stop Richtofen? This would explain why Weasel is hearing Nikolai's name, the original characters are trapped between realms and are trying to contact whoever they can for help.

Just my idea:D

Edited by stranglethor

After the whole action figure game cutscene at the end of the Easter Egg in origins, a lot of the original story can be thrown away EXCEPT for one thing. I noticed after having finished the Easter egg and ended the game, that after watching the cutscene, I remembered a reference that could link this whole thing all the way back to Kino.

The Easter egg suggests that this whole thing is an imaginary game being played by Samantha (which was referenced in Kino during time in Samantha's room, and the action figures on the chess board) and her best friend Edward in what would be real world Germany during world war two. This would explain the wacky timeline due to the sheer extent of which children's imaginations can openly create and turn upside down their stories and games. What I can imagine is that the reason everything is changing constantly is because in the real world, the children are simply switching turns at who gets to be in control; This fits considering during the cutscene, they argue over who's turn it is.

What I can reason is that during the maps that Sam was controlling the zombies, like Kino, The first half of moon, and even a short time in Nuketown; This was Samantha's turn in the real world. During the wacky maps like Tranzit, Buried, MOTD, and Die Rise; This was Edwards turn, and this would explain why the characters in Edwards world, even though sometimes not directly connected, had memories of Samantha's world. Now unfortunately this would mean that all of our scheming and planning to the wacky storyline is now irrelevant, but this offers us a new chance:

At the end of the cutscene, the children talk about how they wish their heroes were real, and Samantha gives a line that officially got my head spinning: "Don't worry, daddy has a plan." After which they take off for the bomb shelter due to the incoming air raid signaled by sirens. What could this mean? Does this mean Maxis has a plan to bring the characters from their game into real life? This is a theory we should all be discussing.

Edited by fishehthealmighty

Note: Electric cheery is literally seeping out of it's own universe (AKA Hell) to origins, meaning there is 100% a link there.

mnrart_link-gif.gif

Every perk on Alcatraz Island, including Flopper and Jug, appears on at least one other Zombie map. By your reasoning then, Hell (Alcatraz is what you mean I think) is being affected by the future (Ascenscion) because Flopper first appeared on that map.

Sorry, I think I'm going to stick with my current viewpoint, which is that the perks in each map are there for gameplay reasons. From what we know it would seem more likely that (as far as in-game chronology goes) Origins is where Cherry is from, not Alcatraz.

On the subject of the main topic, I recall reading a thread a while back about a different Nikolai that Weasel may have been referring to. I'd try to get the link but I am on my phone.

Edited by Dahniska

I think his point about Electric Cherry is because its the only perk machine thats supposed to be in MotD. All the rest are flickering and phasing in and out, but Electric Cherry is just there. And it seems like a perk made in the "Hell" or where ever MotD takes place. I don't think there's any way a warden from a prison was making perk machines when it took brilliant scientists 10+ years later to make them. But I do think that the thing controlling the zombies of that map is the same thing that made EC. Thats why its the only perk thats supposed to be on the map. Thats why its only 5 cents and why you have Mictlantecuhtli's head in it and why its the same colors as the Mictlantecuhtli gum on the Nuketown loading screen.

I think thats the connection he means when he links it to Origins. The perks could just be there for gameplay elements, but they do usually have a story behind them and why they are there. So EC could be on Origins as a sign its another afterlife type map. Thats one theory I agree with since the maps have a lot more than that in common. Or it could just be there and all those things are in common simply because the same development team worked on those two maps. Who knows.  

Note: Electric cheery is literally seeping out of it's own universe (AKA Hell) to origins, meaning there is 100% a link there.

mnrart_link-gif.gif

Every perk on Alcatraz Island, including Flopper and Jug, appears on at least one other Zombie map. By your reasoning then, Hell (Alcatraz is what you mean I think) is being affected by the future (Ascenscion) because Flopper first appeared on that map.

Sorry, I think I'm going to stick with my current viewpoint, which is that the perks in each map are there for gameplay reasons. From what we know it would seem more likely that (as far as in-game chronology goes) Origins is where Cherry is from, not Alcatraz.

On the subject of the main topic, I recall reading a thread a while back about a different Nikolai that Weasel may have been referring to. I'd try to get the link but I am on my phone.

No no no, 

The map of alcatraz only APPEARS to be set in 1933, but in actuality, weasel has been repeating the cycle, over and over again for one hundred+ years, until these perks were created and leaked through somehow. That's how I see the map anyways, makes sense, it's deep, scary, and fantastic. 

And as for the perk's origins: Every perk that's not soposed to be there is rifting, except EC. Why is it so special? Because it's made here and not pulled in and out by the wonder fizz. 

Think of it like bubbles and water: If you force down air, aka the regular perks, the bubbles will attempt to rise back up and fight their existence bellow the water level, AKA the rifts between dimensions. Now EC is more of an iron weight, you place that above water and it will try to sink it's way back to the other realm. Logically these two perks can not originate from the same place with such different reactions to inter-diminsional travel. 

And you're close Cheeze, My point is that EC is the only not-rifted perk in MOTD, but it's link to origins is that the wonder fizz machine actually has the ability to pull perks from the afterlife to the real world (or the origins time-bubble-make-no-sence-contrasting-maxis-story-killing-map world)

Or that's my theory anyways...