The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly (information on Ghosts).

Submachine Guns: all of these are usable. In Ghosts, long range and accuracy weigh in higher than time-to-kill, so unlike BO2, not every smg needs rapid fire.

Ripper: DLC Devastation gun. Season pass holders had early access to this. Recommend rapid fire and grip. This gun can switch between smg mode and ar mode. The most noticeable change is the sight, changing from smg iron sight to ar green holographic. Even in smg mode, you can quickly kill across the map. It is the second best smg and one of the top tier guns in the game. You will see this gun often.

Edit: Bizon and CBJ got a range buff.

Bizon: great cqb gun, not great on long range. Recommend grip/sight.

CBJ-MS: Armor piercing rounds included. While all smg's are okay, this is probably the worst. There are much better options for armor piercing rounds/taking out sentries/choppers/juggernauts. Recommend grip/sight. This, like the Bizon is a bitch to use well with rapid fire.

Vector CRB: fair gun. High damage, medium rate of fire. In my opinion, there is no better hipfire smg, the reticle is quite small when hipfiring. Recommend Steady Aim, rapid fire, silencer. Also excellent with grip/rapid fire.

Vepr: excellent at all ranges, top tier, but usually overlooked for the MTAR-X. This has excellent iron sights, and the highest ammo capacity. Recommend silencer, grip. Rough with rapid fire, not recommended. Good hipfire.

K7: another great weapon. The user friendly sights and included silencer make this a great choice for run and gun. Recommend rapid fire, grip.

MTAR-X: widely considered the best gun in the game. This is easy mode. With grip and silencer, focus, quickdraw, ready up, you should be a beast to be reckoned with. You will see this gun in most games.

Happy s.m.g.ing!

Edited by 83457
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Light Machine Guns (lmgs): these are all usable enough. A little heavy to move, best for holding an area.

Ameli: slow, stable for long range. Not bad, not great. Recommend muzzle brake, grip.

M27-IAR: a little shakier than the Ameli, but retains damage at range. Recommend rapid fire, grip. Probably the second best lmg.

LSAT: Easily the best, easiest to use lmg. Recommend grip, rapid fire. This is a laser; works well at all ranges.

Chain SAW: hipfire only, laser sight for smaller hipfire reticle. Holding the left trigger tightens the hipfire. I use rapid fire and muzzle break to maximize damage. This is clearly one of the worst guns in the game. I have used it a bunch and it just doesn't win gunfights. Also, your character does not hold the rear handle, but sticks his hand into the main body of the gun. Fun when it works, which is rare. Skip Steady Aim, use Focus or the flinch will get you killed.

Edited by 83457

Marksman Rifles: these can all be deadly in the right hands.

I have no recommended set up, use in the way that makes you happy, these are versatile guns. I tend to use iron sights, but play around with the options.

Recommend the first 3 over the SVU.

MR-28: grip included for reduced recoil. Shortest effective range, fastest fire.

MK14 EBR: great gun, highest damage per round, but they are all powerful.

IA-2: sounds most bad-ass, great gun.

SVU: the fun and popular bo2 sniper returns as the most forgettable marksman rifle. Best damage at range, but overall, lacking. You'll almost never see this online. Arguably one of the worst guns.

Edited by 83457

Sniper Rifles: these are some of the most powerful guns in the game, split into semi-automatic and bolt action. In a game like cod, where getting a sniper headshot hitmarker or simply firing shots through players without getting a hitmarker is common, i do not like the slowness of the bolt actions. Also, iirc, all snipers have been nerfed to be waist-up kills and silencers tend to give hitmarkers on heads. All require Focus.

Maverick A2: this was the other set up for the Onslaught DLC gun 'the Maverick'. It comes with a tracker scope, similar to the tracker sight. This is unlikely to get a kill silenced, ever. Recommend the chrome barrel. Easily the worst of the semi auto snipers. A 'fun' gun, not a pro gun. Recommend r+g style with chrome barrel and ACOG (Focus is required with the ACOG as well).

The USR: This is a bolt action sniper, while it fires a little slower than the semi-auto snipers, it kills if you hit them. Making this the most efficient sniper. Hitmarkers are rare. The thermal works well with this.

Small maps: recommend chrome barrel, armor piercing.

Larger maps: chrome barrel, variable zoom.

L115: Bolt action. Originally saw some love, now rarely seen. I have very little experience with this one so far.

Lynx: this was one of the best sniper rifles. That being said, the sniper Nerf made this a hitmarker machine on headshots, chestshots, so i moved on to the VKS.

VKS: silencer included. Post sniper/silencer Nerf, this is by far the best sniper rifle. Now that they all have the same kill area, why not take a free silencer? I use with thermal, armor piercing rounds, to easily take out choppers/sentries/juggernauts.

Note that, if spamming shots with the Lynx or VKS, that the reticle will reset on your target before the barrel does. While not possible in real life, this is what happens in ghosts. So either wait a half second after your reticle resets, or aim down and left of your target to spam shots, rather than rely on the inaccurate reticle.

Edit: I've used the bolt actions a bit more. They appear to still be 'knee and up' kills. Both the USR and 115 play similar, yet the USR seems to be slightly more user friendly. Especially for Overkill/secondary sniper, where you can't change the camo, be wary that the 115s color is bright yellowish-green and it's easy to see from a distance. By contrast, the USR is black and is much harder to see. This is good if want to hide unseen; pick the USR.

Edited by 83457

Shotguns: these are basically in 2 groups; close trigger spam (bulldog/tac12) and less-close accurate shots (MTS, FP6).

Bulldog: this is your run and trigger spam shotgun. Recommend fast perks, sleight of hand, muzzle break, extended mags.

FP6 and MTS-255 are similar. The FP6 has a little more range, the 255 fires noticeably faster.

Recommend FP6 muzzle brake and slug, to maximize it's distance potential.

Recommend MTS-255 muzzle break and grip. This is like a longer range, less spammable Bulldog, with the cool revolver style chamber.

TAC 12: this offers a smart choke for a tighter ads spread, which is basically useless on guns that shoot 20 feet. While almost spammable like the bulldog, this has an overly long reload time. Easily one of the worst guns in the game. Worst shotgun for sure. Edit: this gun can beast, this gun can be a hitmarker machine. Amazing at distance headshots with the Slug attachment/rds.

Well, that's my take on Ghosts guns, hopefully it helps some of you novice Ghosts players with your class making.

Happy gaming all!

Edited by 83457

Looks like there was a title update or hot fix today that added in point streak rewards for playing the objective in KC, Dom, and one other can't remember.

Just another thing that BO2 got right

Cool stuff.

Now if they would just add in BO2s grenade scavenging...

Edit: i know that they had it in domination for a while, taking a flag would count like a kill.

Edited by 83457

If you get 25 kills without dying, you get a K.E.M. Strike.

This kills all enemies (core).

You can only earn 1 K.E.M. per life. You may earn several per game (score permitting). So, if you get 75 non killstreak kills without dying, you get 1 K.E.M. at 25, none at 50, none at 75. But you can get 25 kills, get K.E.M., die, get 25 more kills for a second K.E.M.

Calling in a K.E.M. On any map will leave the map with an orangey haze that makes seeing a little more difficult. In the map Strikezone, a K.E.M. strike will cause a different 'destroyed' version of Strikezone to load. Any items (killstreaks/ammo crates, et cetera) will remain on the non-destroyed map and therefor out of play. K.E.M. May also drop on Strikezone as a Field Order Care Package reward. Any other map, your items remain where they are.

In squad mode, getting the max xp will give you a care package.

Edited by 83457
  • 2 weeks later...

I found a little OFFLINE (or private match) out-of-map technique.

Edit: sorry, i originally forgot the second class and that you needed to switch classes. Now it works.

I've had similar thoughts, but I'm not the originator, nor did the person who taught me know who was. So i can't give credit.

Anyway. Go to private (or local) with a friend or afk split screen controller.

Set up s+d, unlimited lives, no killcam, unlimited time.

Have a light class; agility/knife. Put maniac and jugger as your killstreaks. Make second class with the support drop killstreak juggernaut recon. Every death, switch between the two so that the game stores up your jugger/maniacs.

Join opposite teams. Dead your friend over and over until you get m+j, have then kill you, come back, kill them to get juggernaut recon, have them kill you/repeat ad nauseam.

Find a wall, map edge, or building you would like to get on/over. Flat ground works best.

Near it, look down, call in a cp, move slightly over, call in another...until you have enough to be high enough, then simply jump up the side like a ladder. Jump to/over the roof/barrier and enjoy.

Not useable online, just fun for us weird people.

Edit 2: This is also just kind of fun to play shooting gallery: take a magnum and just keep plugging them as they spawn. Also, dogs are hilarious: they just keep jumping on the newly spawned enemies.

Edited by 83457

Cryptid Easter Egg Tip: play an online game of Safeguard. Shoot the eggs and leave if you want.

Each dlc has it's own playlist when it comes out.

As of this post, dlc2 released, so go to Squads> Devastation> Safeguard> Play Now. Then shoot the eggs, leave, get in another map, back out if you already did it, repeat until complete.

• 1 month later...

DLC3, Invasion, added 2 weapons, 3 new and 1 reprinted map, as well as the next chapter of Extinction.

If not 5th or/nor 10th Prestige, you may check the weapons out in private or local games versus bots or friends.

Gold Combat Knife: unlocked at prestige 5. Faster melee, gold color, otherwise appears as combat knife. Had same stats as original, only the grab and push animation is replaced by a quick slash. (currently may glitch '2 kills with a picked up weapon' field order).

Gold PDW: Fully automatic secondary. Unlocked at prestige 10. All attachments are unlocked for it.

Maps will be described in the map thread/extinction forum (hopefully).

Edit: Extinction now has more unlocks available in the armory. Also 5 new relics to choose from. Also 5 more prestige levels.

Edited by 83457
  • 2 weeks later...

A game mode was added, called Reinforce. It's worth a try.

4 points to win.

1 point for winning each round.

There are 3 flags to take like Domination. You get 1 life, but respawn when your team takes a flag.

Win a round by taking all 3 points, or by killing their entire team without letting them take a flag.

Domination Death Match.

• 2 weeks later...

Fun tidbit for those who can't get their mind out of the gutter:

Use Overkill, equip knife, gold knife as your 2 primaries. Run around tapping Y for lulz. (edit: don't use Reflex or it will not 'work' properly).

You have to see it for yourself.

I predict it will be the new killcam thing to do...

Edited by 83457
  • 2 weeks later...

Private match map rotation.

Map rotation has been added to private games. Go to private match, map select, then you can hit x to bring up the map rotation selection options; highlight maps that you want, hit a to make a yellow mark in the check box. Go to bonus maps and do the same.

Then, after each game, you will automatically move to the next map.

I think it starts with the last map that you highlighted.

You can go to the 'game set up screen (maps/mode/options/join-in-progress/intermission)' and turn on Intermission, this will then cause it to auto-start each game after a brief intermission, just like online. 60 second intermission.

After grinding the last few soldiers to 10th for the pdw, i have been taking it easy with bot games. while playing offline, hardened bot, reinforce games, it is nice to have the next game/map load and start since they are so short (when I'm not making them 12 round games).

Enjoy.

Edited by 83457

There is usually only 45k-75k players on 360 on any given day.

I have a lot of fun with this crappy game: I'm 10th prestige and play many of the side games (still hoping for that Safeguard fix, fingers crossed).

It is also 3 map packs deep, there is usually a sale on them around now, isn't there?

Is there?! I've never noticed it before if it has.

I love ghosts too, I'm currently on 7th prestige which is the furthest I've ever gotten on a Cod. Wow, that's even less than PlayStation man, it's usually 60-90k. During the day it'll drop down to about 30k though.

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

This is the highest prestige I've done as well. I really like the look and feel of ghosts for the most part.

Playing reinforce, a bit of double xp, i prestiged one guy in <8h20m.

For the first time in months, i played some tdm, pulled in a Loki on Ignition. Woot!

I also got one on Prison Break, but that's more common. I got into that tree above the troop transport in the east too. I love getting kills from rare places.

Edited by 83457

My name is Loki, I live on the second floor...

Okay, hopefully none of you got that bad 80's music reference, but this is a post about getting average players a Loki (Loki killer patch) or maybe a k.e.m.

First and foremost: Put Loki on your class. You won't get it if you don't have it equipped. I recommend sentry gun, hind, Loki.

I'm old, blind, broken, a mediocre cod player and i have got plenty of these things called in. I get them in tdm games, no headset, with randoms. If i can, you can.

Lots of factors dictate whether or not a scrub player pulls in a Loki, let's discuss these;

In your control: killstreak management; this simply means properly using killstreaks to get higher killstreaks while not dying. In ghosts, your assault killstreaks only count toward the next higher killstreak once you call them in. So you can get a sentry, pick up 2 more kills for a hind, then call in both to work towards your Loki. 9 kills sounds rough, but from seven, it's only 2 more. Seven sounds rough, but even the scrubbiest of randoms will have their day, and with a little knowledge and forethought, you can get to that 7 more commonly than you thought possible.

Maps: you can't control what maps that you get, but you can recognize ones that give a better chance. Don't try on every map, try on maps that will work with sentry/hind, and especially ones that you already do well on. For me, I have the most Lokis called in on Prison Break. I pulled one in on Ignition recently, due to factors simply lining up for me, but i wouldn't expect one on that map in the future.

Class: think snipers, camping. If you can run around with your gold mtar and get k.e.m.s regularly, you don't need my help. If you want my help, then heed my advice despite your reservations.

My Loki class: not what i would have guessed when ghosts launched, but...

VKS (silenced)/thermal/ armor piercing.

(gold pdw/tac knife if 10th) P226/silenced (mostly for movement rate)

Blind eye, focus, incog, off the grid.

One hit kills, not showing on radar, unseen by killstreaks, not having a giant orange name when someone looks in my general direction, all keep me alive. Low movement, camp/patrol an area. No ieds to give away my position. Only setting up the sentry leaves me open to be seen. Camp near it, but not too obviously, just so you can protect it and it, you.

Connection: if your connection always sucks, or just randomly trolls you, you won't get a Loki. When it rains by me, my service provider must get a lot of bleed-off of signal and packet loss, because it sucks in the rain. I also get random quality connections in general: prison break, go 24-0, then, about 15 minutes later in another lobby, again prison break, i go 0-2 after getting 17 headshot/chestshot sniper hitmarkers. So frustrating. So it will need to be on a connection-friendly day.

Sacred cows: kill them, eat them. If your go-to class hasn't gotten that Loki yet, drop it. Try to snipe.

Example: i have a friend whose sacred cows are LSAT/scavenger/speed reload. I got him into Reinforce, he finally took off scavenger for Marathon, which is necessary in reinforce. I have not seen him use the LSAT once in recent games, always just the gold pdw (my account, split screen). Yet he can't take off the useless lmg or unneeded perks. So, kill your sacred cows and try a new approach. Listen to me/friends who have done it.

Players, enemies and teammates alike: this is one of the most uncontrollable aspects that can dictate whether or not you get a Loki.

Playing randoms, you need them to hold an area of the map, especially obvious areas, so you can lurk nearby without being the main focus; Prison Break example- team randomly holds the tower and surrounding area, i sit on the blue fence by the tree by the tower. The teammates holding the area around me are a safety net and early warning system. They get in battles, i pick off the enemies. Enemies coming specifically for me get waylayed by random 'mates.

Enemies must play stupidly: they die, mash X without watching the killcam, run back into my sights to feed me kills. Yes, thank you.

Decent enemies: watch their killcams, aim to pick you off specifically before your killstreak gets too high. There is nothing you can do to stop good players from trying, but with luck and map knowledge, you can try to get them first, but pulling in Lokis almost requires idiot enemies or good luck on your side (teammate getting the guy flanking you, random ied gets him, you happen to look exactly at the bush he was about to snipe you from/et cetera).

Aim, then shoot. Yeah, what a concept. Pulling the trigger and waving your gun at them isn't going to pull in Lokis.

Camp/patrol, but don't move a lot. Do shift position a little after every kill or 2 so someone can't simply aim at that spot as they round a corner or air-mail you a nice frag.

Game mode: I've done most in tdm, but it isn't the optimal mode. Basically the goal in tdm is get 13 kills, die less than 12 times. So, you really need to get no deaths/early death and more kills, faster, than your own team. Often i pull in Loki for 1 kill and the game is over.

To actively try for a Loki, probably Domination is your best bet. With a smart team (even randies often know this), hold 2 flags, don't encroach their spawn and just watch the avenues of travel towards B. Plenty of time/kills to be had to pick up 15 consecutive kills, even after a death or 2.

Your head: too little sleep, too tired, too intoxicated, can all affect your game. Plenty of rest, a day off from gaming the day before, some caffeine, electrolytes, food in your belly can all help. Know your mind, if you are already on a roll, maybe it's time to try for that Loki.

For me, early afternoon awareness is one of my best cod play times, and also when i am almost asleep in a Nirvana-coma, where i have no nerves or 'choke' issues because i am so lax.

Good luck!

Random tale of the other day's Loki in Ignition (to help you understand); I did not expect Loki, I just have those killstreaks on that sniper class, never pulled in an Ignition one before. So no forethought was involved, just playing the game.

Spawned by the crawler. Team held it, giving me a buffer zone: enemies are intent on my teammates in the crawler.

I tried to hold the crawler, got killed (1k1d). Spawned nearby. I took the area where c flag in reinforce is (se corner).

Basically i knew that my flank was safe due to teammates. Even if they died, i would hear the commotion and watch/kill from the side entrance.

To get revenge directly on me meant trying to come down the east side. I could watch between the tanks, the space just west of that or go out further to see clear across the map.

So i basically picked off stragglers or those fighting my teammates, with the occasional revenge-minded enemy that, through luck or skill, I bested.

At 9 kills (again, didn't expect to get this far on Ignition, sniping), i called in the hind. During that momentary distraction, I set up the sentry to watch from the eastern approaches to the west side of the map (basically where C flag-reinforce is).

So now i have a hind in the air (questionable on a map with so much cover) and a sentry watching me and my teammates by cutting the bottom (south) fifth of the map off.

The Loki came soon after without much help from me. I laid in the back corner, hidden as well as i could and dropped missiles on them and my Jugger squad mate took the final kill (18k-1d).

So i did need some skill, but i had decent teammates that inadvertently created the buffer zone that i needed to stay safe. I only had to control a small section of map without moving much.

Enemies played well, not stupidly, but just couldn't get past the wall of sniping that was the southern end of the map. They weren't using blind eye and fed both my sentry and hind some kills. One guy was on the far side of the crawler, i literally saw a white pixel or 2 through the tracks (thanks to thermal) and shot him dead through it (armor piercing, remember?).

So this was a lucky set up, mixed with know-how, map knowledge, and some average skill. Nothing that makes me deserve a Loki anymore than anyone else. But still, this average blind old guy got a Loki on Ignition, so you can get one too.

I hope this helps!

(fixed waves of typos)

Edited by 83457
  • 2 weeks later...

Attachments: originally, I thought they were self explanatory, but I know that some could use a little explanation, so i will hit them up here.

Sights:

Iron sights (marksmen rifles): this gives an iron sight instead of the scope. All fairly useable.

Variable Zoom (snipers only): this switches between 3 levels of zoom, for more accurate longshots. I recommend leaving it at regular then zoom in as needed, but don't run around zoomed as it is hard to bring it up and find your target.

Red Dot Sight: raises the sight a little above the muzzle flash, gives a view through a reticle of your choice for often easier aiming.

ACOG (advanced combat optical gunsight): this gives you some zoom at the cost of limited view around the scope. Not the easiest or best, but much more user friendly than the bo2 version. Choice of reticle.

Holographic Sight (with damage falloff readout display) similar to the ACOG, this gives a limited view with some zoom and your choice of reticle. The real draw to this sight is the damage dropoff meter. Ranges in cod, and certainly in Ghosts are ridiculously short. This sight will show just how ridiculous the ranges are. (example: using a sniper on Whiteout, stand on the boat by the pier, shooting someone past the statue is a 'longshot', in real life that would be extreme close range with any weapon). Take this in a private match and just wander around, looking around corners and witness how crappy ranges are in this game.

VMR (variable magnification reflex): Like the RDS, but with a choice of 2 sights, regular and zoom (click RS to switch). The zoom will show more recoil. Choice of reticle.

Thermal Hybrid Scope: this shows enemies without the Incog perk as bright white, enemies with Incog are dark, but still quite visible unless hidden. Click RS to switch it to a holographic (similar to rds) sight for a wider view. The option to switch sights is not available on sniper thermal sights.

Tracker (iron sight): this sight gives a limited view, but highlights enemies without Incog with an orange glow, similar to Oracle/Recon. Enemies with Incog will not have the orange halo around them. Click RS to quickly drop the limited sight for a quite useable Iron Sight.

Barrels:

Chrome Lined (snipers only): this will give a range/damage boost with a slight accuracy loss, making longshots more often lethal.

Flash Suppressor: this reduces the muzzle flash for easier seeing during gunfights. Not recommended; the silencer will do this, stabilize the gun, and keep you off of the radar, for a better option.

Silencer: Keeps you off radar/mimimap, stabilizes the gun while firing, reduces the muzzle flash, there is a slight drop in damage at ranges (which are so short that it doesn't matter). Always a great choice, especially in IW cods.

Muzzle Break: increases the damage at range. Honestly, ranges are so short in this game that extending them slightly is a complete joke. (example: Bulldog, with muzzle break, shoots 20 feet max). Not much value considering the ridiculously short ranges all guns have in this game.

Underbarrel:

Grip: reduces the recoil on many weapons. Check it out for yourself, basically helps most with rapid fire, but different guns are affected differently. Like the Honey Badger needs it more than the Remington, due to recoil patterns. Relatively pointless on single-shot or burst weapons.

Shotgun: Tap RB to fire. 4 shots per magazine, 8 total. Can't reload until all are fired (auto reload, careful). Adds some stability like the grip, but less. Takes up the Lethal slot on your class. Quite effective, but be careful of the reload; don't leave 1 shell, fire it and reload. Run over your dead body to get ammo for both the main gun and ubsg. If you reload cancel, the ubsg will remain empty until you hit RB, so be careful to finish reloading before you run, or the next time that you fire it, it may start to reload at the most inconvenient moment.

Grenade Launcher: the underbarrel noob tube takes up your Lethal slot. Fire by tapping RB, or hold RB/release for more precision aiming. Fires a grenade that must travel a certain distance before arming. 2 shots. Can't scavenge, except for your dead body/dropped gun. Since it gives 2 shots, it is decent with Danger Close, and you won't need the Extra Lethal perk (there is no interaction between ubgl and extra lethal perk at all).

Mod (modification):

Slug Rounds (shotguns only): this trades out the pellet spread for a single bullet, greatly increasing the range if the shotgun, but requiring more accuracy in placing your shots. The hipfire reticle will show a circle in the center. Note that this is for show only; if you place that entire circle on an enemy and hipfire, the bullet may still miss them, it is not guaranteed to be in that circle at all, it is rather deceiving.

Extended Mags (magazines): adds 50% ammo to each magazine, does not effect total ammo count.

Armor-Piercing: these rounds will be much more effective versus killstreaks, juggernauts (and similar), and ballistic vests.

Rapid Fire (smg, lmg only): this increases the fire rate of certain guns, adds recoil.

Semi-Automatic: this gives a single shot option to some assault rifles.

Burst Fire: sets certain guns to 3 burst. Marksmen, assault rifles.

Automatic Fire (msbs assault rifle only): takes away the 3 burst for auto fire.

Riot Shield Attachments:

Scrambler: this creates a tiny area around you where enemy radar is scrambled. Very small area of effect shows on your minimap. Absolutely stupid effect that gives your position away. Glitched/nonfunctioning in split screen games. Only works with shield in hand.

Titanium Frame: allows slightly faster melee. Since the shield rarely even kills in 2 hits, it is only lethal in Hard Core mode, where it is 1 hit to kill. Nearly pointless attachment.

Radar: portable radar package is the only reasonable attachment, it sends out a radar circle from your position that shows enemies that don't have the 'off the grid' perk. Only works when shield is in hand, but you can hear the blips when it is away. Sometimes works when shield is away (glitched).

I think that i got them all.

Happy gaming!

Edited by 83457