XBOX ONE First impressions

If you just bought the XBOX one day one edition what are your impressions.

So far I am loving it.

I have linked my Skype account to my Microsoft live account.

I also configured my sky drive. It's capacity is 7gb.

Only thing I am not happy is the mic. Yes, you cannot use the auxillary cable from your mic to controller like you did on previous gen console. You can however use kinect mic or an included chat microphone provided by microsoft for free. I don't like it as I have my own headset and mixamp that I use often. I don't want to use kinect because it picks up all the backgroud noise.

Games I have so far are call of duty ghosts and Dead rising 3.

I played Ghosts for 30 minutes and I was completely stunned by the graphics. I can actually see people camping unlike in xbox 360 where they were completely camouflaged due to lack of resolution or detail. Frames per second seem to be very good and they was 0 lag. I played the campaign for few minutes and it looked solid.

Dead rising 3 is also an awesome game. I played this for about 90 minutes and I am already loving the game. It is a little bit like "State of decay" where you are constantly doing challenges and missions to earn people's trust and surviving the zombie apocalypse. Combining weapons is awesome. A must-buy for zombie fans.

The dashboard is pretty straightforward and you can use the kinect to sign in or you can simply use the traditional style of signing in by manually logging in. Voice commands are definitely a plus. I am loving all the free games included with xbox live gold membership. It is a bit hassle to learn where things are in the beginning and it can be a little glitchy especially if you are downloading a bunch of things, playing game and multitasking. But it gets smoother as the installation progresses.

Any who, what are your first impressions?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Update 2:

So far it has been running smooth, no major problems except few glitches/annoyances with 3rd party apps like skype and other video apps.

But I have to ask if XBOX one records your game before your command? That would be sick.

Also after using a command it only records for a few seconds (15 maybe) Is there a way to change that or it is fixed?

I still don't know how to use my existing mic to talk in party chats without using an included chat headset.

Kinect is fine. Most commands are recognized. But I really want to use my existing game headset with party chat. Hopefully Microsoft sheds some light on it.

• Tech Admin

I'm looking forward to buying the Xbox One, unfortunately, with three kids and Christmas coming I had to budget for them rather than me :evil: lol

I've bought the boy an Xbox One and he will have Fifa, and maybe another 2 games. He also got a new 32 Samsung TV for his bedroom, at 10 years old that's ****ing awesome. I had to wait until I was about 25 before I got a 32 inch TV

Thanks for the reviews Way, sounds like a decent bit of kit and only a few minor annoyances/bugs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Tech Admin

I've only had a shot of my sons albeit briefly.

Control pad is not as comfortable as the 360 imo. seems designed to have fingers on all ghe triggers at the same time. switchinv from RT/LT to RB/LB is a strain on these old hands.

Game install is dreadfully slow.

Dashboard will take a bit of getting used too.

The commands in general usability will take a bit of getting used too.

I'm impressed overall with the One; some machins disappointed withe bugs in Fifa 14 though but not a Microsoft problem.

I occasionally get a "out of memory" error for ghosts after playing a while. Anyone else seen this?

Also it's a bit if pain to get use to party chat. Joining friends games is extremely painful so is inviting them. But sometimes it works fine. I still want old headset compatibility for voice chat.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

My wife picked me up the Xbox One for Christmas. I was definitely not expecting it as a gift. The Kinect 2.0 has had some massive improvements, and actually responds properly and the games looks great even though they are not next gen specific. A few items that I'm not happy with:

• There is no way to check battery life on the controller; and we all know how important it is to have a charged controller in zombies.
  • I miss the old home buttons options. The snap and multitasking is cool, but if I want to mute a party or read a message I have to back all the way out.
  • The release titles were garbage and the only the only thing I have for now is Ghosts...which is disappointing.

However there are a lot of upcoming titles that I am very excited for (Dying Light, Titan Fall, Watch Dogs).

Overall I'm pretty happy with the system, still getting some things figured out though.

Also what the hell turtle beach give me an adapter!