Buildables

Hey all, I have been wondering what everyone's take is on all of the buildables we have in BO2. Do you like them? Do they change gameplay too much, make things too easy? What are your thoughts?

WaW zombies had pretty much no form of buildable items, at least that I can recall. Black Ops 1 had very simple versions of it, such as the movie reels in Kino or the trap in Five. In Black Ops 2, however, nearly every map seems totally dependent on these buildables to do anything, more and more with each released map.

TranZit had four buildables, of which only one was really a necessity for high rounds. Die Rise I think had it right to a certain extent. I like that the trample steam is not a necessity, but it definitely makes things easier. The Sliquifier...? I don't like the idea of a buildable wonder weapon, except maybe the Origins staves. Mob of the Dead required you to build the plane. It had other buildables, but they weren't necessary. Buried is where things became ridiculous. 4 different buildables, and none of them were a necessity. They seemed like they were just random different ideas that devs had of weird ways to kill zombies and just threw them all in there. One of the buildables has zero use, except to use another buildable! Origins is completely surrounded by and nearly functionless without buildables. Everything in the map revolves around the staves. While I do like the idea of the staves, I feel as if the entire zombies gameplay is starting to rely on these buildables.

I miss the days of hitting the box over and over and over until I finally pulled a Thundergun or WunderWaffe. Once you learn the buildables and part locations, I believe it just becomes a monotonous amount of running to get the part, put it on, get another part, put it on...and so forth.

There is also the MotD/Origins vs. TranZit/Die/Buried form of buildables, with the "Quest Items" menu and everything. I prefer the Mob and Origins versions myself.

Thoughts?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

I like where they went with the Buildables idea actually. They got very repetitive over time but it soon became apparent that they needed to revamp a lot of the ideas. For instance, the Zombie Shield was reincarnated three times throughout Black Ops II. Look how much people rely on it now. Then you look over to other "attempts", such as the Wind Turbine or Trample Steam that only proves effective when used resourcefully. I'm not calling out certain buildables; however, it has become apparent that Treyarch had too good of a concept yet lacked sufficient ideas.

To be fair though, I think Black Ops II was just one large sandbox idea that gave us innovative ways to play Zombies instead of the routine round 'em up, hit the Mystery Box 400+ times, and run circles until you hit the high rounds. Putting special bosses to create a challenge made slaying much more interesting but only to an extent.

With buildables, you can find countless ways to kill zombies. A shield that protects you and is incredibly powerful for melee, several weaponized-tools like a swinging chainsaw, body propelling devices, mini turrets via ground or air, and even weapons that are extremely powerful. Guns, staves, upgrading kits - oh my!

I am not saying that the old school way of killing zombies is boring, that's a discussion for another day. I just honestly believe that buildables added some zest into playing. Sure, they become routine because some people are so lenient on them for survival. It's really what you make of it and whether or not you enjoy having them around. Nobody is forcing you to make a buildable in order to survive a match. That's just your mind forcing you to call them "necessary".

• Administrators

The Shield-a fantastic buildable and I hope the continue to incorporate it in each map. Completely changes your strategy for getting dropped back into the game after going down on a high round. The multitude of uses just adds so many fun elements to the game play.

The Turbine- Eh I understand it's point in the map; to support the easter egg and run with the power theme. But wait a pain in the a$$ it became. Especially when using it to open Pap. Also it's use it buried to basically nerf the subsonic resonator.

Electric Trap- Another trap I would consider not worth the effort. Only lasts as long as the turbine. Very few locations on the maps where its of great use.

Jet Gun- Basically the paralyzer's ugly cousin. Way to time consuming to build. I actually felt out of breath from how much I was running in the game, while sitting on the couch. Not actually but you get my drift

The Turret- F*** this f****** g** d*** piece of s***. TURN OFF FRIENDLY FIRE

Trample Steam- Very cool fit perfectly for Die Rise. Unfortunately is was mis-used by a lot of glitchers. I don't really think it needed to return in buried.

Sliquifier- Very cool weapon, definitely over powered at first with extremely long chaining. Enjoy the idea of a special weapon that didnt take me 30 minutes to build. I'm looking at you Tranzit.

The Plane- A flippin plane are you kidding me, I still love riding on that thing to this day. Actually enjoyed the set up for this one, as it is only needed once and the pay off is much better.

The Head Chopper- Meh it was alright. I think my biggest issue with it is that zombies were able to reach through walls and break it. This may have been patched by now. Buried was so easy I would rarely use most traps.

Subsonic Resonator- A ton of fun, unfortunately is needs a turbine. Which is understandable for how powerful it is.

I would agree it is tedious, but I think it breaks up the monotony by adding several different strategies to the table. I can only camp til 30 and train on so many maps before I start pulling out my hair

The way buildables were done on Mob and Origins was far superior.

Being able to pick up multiple parts at once and then having any player build the final product at any workbench was much better then having to pick up one piece at a time and go drop it off. I also liked the menu screen on these maps that showed you which parts you already had for each buildable.

Functionally, the turret and electric trap were worthless. They needed a turbine to function and it took forever to get around the map on Tranzit to get one.

Most of the other buildables were fun.

Black ops buildables are worth 9 times the amount of awsomeness points the the black ops 2 buildables:

Kino: Reals

Five: Electric trap

Accession: None

COTD: Vodka, Fuse, Golden rod

Shangri la: Stone, dynamite

Moon: Wire, rod

Black ops two:

Turbine: C

Shield: A-

Traps: F

Tramplesteam: B

Seliquifier: B

Staves: B

Acid gat: A

Plane: A

Jet gun:F-

Tablet:C

Maxis drone: D

Gramophone: C

They need to back away from build-able weapons, they tend to be a pain to get... Box wonder weapons are a must, and traps need to stay on the walls where they belong... However, buildables should continue in the way of opening new areas, upgrading things, and easter egg related things that don't effect gameplay...

maybe if they must continue weaponry buildables, perhaps a build-able gun? Like take the gun in your hand, and a few parts you find lying around and you can attach scopes, grips, gernade launchers, ect. It seems cooler to do it that way then PAPing it...

They need to back away from build-able weapons, they tend to be a pain to get... Box wonder weapons are a must, and traps need to stay on the walls where they belong... However, buildables should continue in the way of opening new areas, upgrading things, and easter egg related things that don't effect gameplay...

This is what I was thinking. I believe they went a little too overboard with how much the buildables effect the way the game plays and goes.

I understand what Infest was saying about the buildables not being necessary, but some maps just don't seem to work without them. Such as Origins, Die Rise or TranZit where the only wonder weapon is a buildable. It eventually becomes a necessity for high rounds.

• Administrators

Black ops buildables are worth 9 times the amount of awsomeness points the the black ops 2 buildables:

Kino: Reals

Five: Electric trap

Accession: None

COTD: Vodka, Fuse, Golden rod

Shangri la: Stone, dynamite

Moon: Wire, rod

Black ops two:

Turbine: C

Shield: A-

Traps: F

Tramplesteam: B

Seliquifier: B

Staves: B

Acid gat: A

Plane: A

Jet gun:F-

Tablet:C

Maxis drone: D

Gramophone: C

maybe if they must continue weaponry buildables, perhaps a build-able gun? Like take the gun in your hand, and a few parts you find lying around and you can attach scopes, grips, gernade launchers, ect. It seems cooler to do it that way then PAPing it...

The plates were also in Moon, I don't remember what they were called though. Ascension did have parts well sort of, they were added for the Kassimir Mechanism via the Gerche Device. I thought for sure they would incorporate some sort of a DG-1 build in origins, unfortunately this was not the case :( .

I liked them. Especially the Trample Steam. Both fun and useful. Shield was good as well. Some of them could've been executed better, especially on their given maps.

TranZit's layout practically made the Electric Trap and Turret useless, since they relied on the Turbine.

The Turbine was useless in Buried. It can be used to get perks before the powers on, but the power is very easy to get too, and it can't be turned off either. Only added for the Subsurface resonator.

Basically my only problem is how TranZits buildables are placed, and question the Turbines existence in Buried. I'm fine with everything else though.

Lol that jet gun F- I completely agree.

anyway the only buildable I gave a crap about is the shield. I hate the acid gat/vitriolic to hell. Damn them. I suck on die rise so never got to use sliqy. The staves though I Actually use fire all the time. Other than those two buildables haven't really affected my playstyle much.

Origins is the culmination of what the developers have learned throughout BO1 and 2.

I understand that Origins the map may have been made by a different team....and I think they hit the nail on the head.

The only buildables worth doing throughout BO2 are IMO -

Sliquid Die Rise. Doesn't really need an explanation and it only takes 1 minute to do.

Fan and Boom Buried. Only way to do high rounds, doesn't take very long if you use him.

Staffs Origins. Can complete 1 ultimate in around 30 minutes, 2 in 40, 3 in 50 and 4 within an hour ish. I don't mind spending 30 minutes to create the most awesome weapon in zombies.