Alternate Game Modes.. Yay or Nay?

It seemed at the start of BO2 that Treyarch was really trying to push the idea of new zombies game modes to try to expand the zombies world. They almost made it sound as though new game modes would be a big selling point for the game. They talked about Survival (which we thought would basically just be the original zombies mode), Grief, and TranZit (which really is just the original story based zombies we were used to).

Then after the community responded how they did to Turned mode, they seemed to ditch the whole idea of adding new modes and new zoned out 'mini maps' for each game mode.

My point is, we were basically beta testing the idea of having new game modes within Zombies. It never really was a solid idea, and there are lots of different opinions out there about them. So let me ask you: do you want them to return in the next game? Why or why not?

Personally, I do not. They seemed like a little bit of fun at first. It was a fresh change of pace that we never had before. Not incredibly fun (or in the case of survival mode, not fun at all, not a challenge at all), but still seemed repetitive and not quite a solid idea (in the case of greif).

But then- you want to talk about change of pace? Mob of the Freakin Dead! This map changed zombies forever. It's the link between the old maps and the beginning of the new maps. Die Rise was a complete fail IMO. They said that it would be so innovative because it brought something we never saw before-- pause for effect-- "verticality!"

What a joke! When I heard them talk about verticality I was literally thinking of all the times I jumped off the many ledges on Call of the Dead, the elevators in Five, the freaking jumping pads in MOON! Verticallity was not the new innovation that BO2 zombies had to offer! Nor was adding new game modes! Instead, it brought us to objectives, or as Treyarch would call it- "objecticality!" lol I kid.

Treyarch figured out where zombies is headed. At first they thought they should just keep adding game modes to make zombies more interesting, and then they figured it out: they need challenging, fun, objective based maps. Maps that had their own unique features and twists but still gave us what we wanted, and then some! THAT is what BO2 zombies had to offer, not pointless repetitive mini games that served no purpose.

So thats my reasoning, what is yours? Please share your opinions, and let the greif lovers rip me apart!! :lol:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if I had to make a choice between the devs spending more time on game modes or more time on just one map, I would pick one map every time. Especially after seeing Mob of the Dead and Origins (I agree with your take on Die Rise, and would throw Buried in that category as well) I really would love to have new and innovative things in a single map that make it unique and, in turn, more fun. Take the Hell's Retriever for example. This thing was awesome! A fun new way to kill zombies, and it also gave the additional perk of grabbing out-of-reach drops. I like that it is only in MotD as well, as it is something that makes that map unique. Same goes for the staves in Origins. They are somewhat time consuming to make, but once you have them upgraded it is unbelievable beneficial. That's what I like in zombies: a challenge that is rewarding.

I'm getting off topic, sorry :P I enjoyed Grief for a little bit, it was fun to mess with people. Tranzit took WAY too long to do anything. Turned was fun for about one game, then lost any fun factor whatsoever (in other words it was pretty much a complete flop). Survival will always be where I hang out. It definitely won't be on Bus Depot, but I'll be playing the classic round-based zombie slayin' game mode we all know and love.

TL;DR -- I would prefer they took all their time on making one awesome map rather than three or four alight ones with "special" game modes.

The OP seems to be a bit less focused on actual game modes and more focused on the quality of the maps... Which to say: What did you expect? It's the first DLC, meaning it has to be better then the disk but not as good as the fallowing maps... That's marketing,,, It worked out fantasicly IMO...

MOTD was good too, I mean let's face it, there is NO ONE who will say MOTD was a bad map...

As for game modes:

Team undeathmatch: Like the ending for MOTD, killing both enemy's and zombies. Purhaps in a more widespread area, like the entire map of buried...

Also a GREAT advertiser for the hardened addition:

Access to

Greif: Der reise, kino, and town

Turned: Town

Survival: New map!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I love the idea of grief mode, it does need some improvements though. I think shooting and knifing your opponents maybe should deal a tiny bit of damage because its kind of hard to down them with just other zombies at times because they just go after you instead. If not, then traps would be nice in grief mode, along with no quick revive or jug like how it was in cell block, but I also liked farm grief because it was such a small map it was chaotic with 8 players.

Turned was just a terrible game mode and Treyarch knows it. It's so stupid...

Survival was okay I just wish they made every map have a survival version. They only had survival mode for tranzit cmon lazy treyarch people -_- If theyre gonna add multiple game modes again they need to have every mode for every map.

They'd need to make a major overhaul of Turned to make it more enjoyable. I just don't think any of the map layouts or game mechanics support the gamemode in that instance, so either massively change zombies, or change turned. I'd rather change Turned.

Grief was quite nice, although I feel like it could almost be subdivided.

I'd like to see standard grief, like we see on the Buried submap and town and farm, where it is more of a survival competition. My team can outlast your team. With minor methods of affecting the others but still more than there were, such as a whole new set of drops to stun enemies, or redscreen them or spawn in a full horde in their proximity or such.

Then a more competitive deathmatch style where the zombies are a constant hazard, but not the main focus. Weapons can deal damage, but very nerfed, so that no gun, even WW, are one hit kills. I could also see some kind of zone war going on here as well. Such as capture points like domination that when controlled by a team allow mystery box uses or something. The death of all enemies would not be the end, but rather a kill cap, or most kills by x time, or capturing all the command points.

Survival I find amusing, because it's nothing. It's essentially the same as the Major gamemodes in BO2, just with less substance. I'd like to see this be used to bring back classic maps, or maybe add in some auxillary maps, but not as a major point. Launch day of BO2 was such a lie, with its seperate survival and TranZit modes. They're the same thing with one being about 1/8th of the map of the other.

I severely hope with our next title, we have two DISTICT launch maps.

Kino and FIVE were such a great combo. Kino was open, FIVE was close quaters. Kino was classic, FIVE was unusual (elevators, buildable traps, pentagon theif). I want to see that. Conceptual maps (like BO2 maps) where uniqueness and innovation is a key point (more doors to purchase without being able to bypass them though please...), and Core maps (BO1) where the game play is mostly unchanged from map to map, with a new tactical and new WW, and maybe a single new feature. Maps where you can just enter and power through.

I'd like to see each DLC contain both types or alternate between the types with each pack.

Because although I prefered the innovative concept maps of BO2, I will admit sometimes that familiar feel is lost with the maps. Buried doesn't quite feel like zombies to me. TranZit only barely feels like zombies to me. MotD doesn't feel quite like zombies either.

That should be the distinction, rather than survival is a portion of the main map. Survival should be the core maps.

To those who didn't want to read my rant:

Grief yes, but maybe altered or even split into two gametypes

Turned, no

Survival, only if they actually make it mean something more than "smaller map"

Other new ones? I'd be interested, but I'd hope they'd not waste too much time on it.

The new game modes sounded fun and were for awhile but they got boring way too quick. They were poorly executed. I honestly believe that there is potential in alternate and competitive game modes in zombies, it just has to be done right. I'd be lying if I were to I didn't lose sleep staying up thinking of cool ideas for alternate game modes.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok turned was definitely entertaining... BUT they made it too difficult on Buried! They basically spawn you each time on the polar opposite side of the map which was more frustrating than anything. Now, I get it, the longer you stay alive the more points you get. But, I still want to have some action without waiting 10 minutes for the other player to get to me! The diner is great though: simple and small! 

I think they should stick with the modes they have! They are already making incredibly complex maps, so just leave it at that!

• 2 weeks later...

Have you guys ever played custom WaW zombies using the ugx mod? The mod had several new game modes in it and two of which were absolutely perfect. The two I am talking about are Timed and Sharpshooter. Timed was exactly the same as zombies is now but there are no rounds and the zombies just kept on constantly coming (Like no mans land on moon), when you die it tells you how long you lasted in minutes not rounds. Sharpshooter was the same as it is in multiplayer, every 45 seconds you where given a new gun to use. Perks were obtained from not getting hit while getting kills for a certain amount of time so buying perks and guns was disabled. If Treyarch could do this I would be impressed.

• Moderators

Have you guys ever played custom WaW zombies using the ugx mod? The mod had several new game modes in it and two of which were absolutely perfect. The two I am talking about are Timed and Sharpshooter. Timed was exactly the same as zombies is now but there are no rounds and the zombies just kept on constantly coming (Like no mans land on moon), when you die it tells you how long you lasted in minutes not rounds. Sharpshooter was the same as it is in multiplayer, every 45 seconds you where given a new gun to use. Perks were obtained from not getting hit while getting kills for a certain amount of time so buying perks and guns was disabled. If Treyarch could do this I would be impressed.

I would actually play those modes as opposed to grief.

And welcome to the site. :3

I honestly don't care if they bring new modes or not.

All I care about is having a proper survival mode, in simplistic form.  Doors to open, power to turn on, perks to buy.

No buildables.  No objectives.  I don't care if there are buildables and objectives in other modes, but just have a basic survival mode.

Hell, zombies started like that in WAW, with power, perks and the box being added to the second map, and PAP to the 4th.

Is it really that difficult to do another map like that?

It is when everyone want all these new features. 

Gota have them EMP grenades… 

Nuketown was close to what you're asking. SO how about this: 

secondary map: 

Fabrik der Verdammten

You start off outside a factory, (like der reise but not) you enter to find a normal factory setting, no special anything. You have two doors, head to the power, or cut strait to the box. Heading towards power will take you behind the main area in a multitude of thin corridors barely passable by your characters. Eventually you'll reach the break room, where one can hit power and all the construction and manufacturing will start up again. Now from this room you can take the conveyer belts up to the rafters where a series of thin catwalks and moving conveyer belts separate you from the head office, and the ground bellow (which a fall from this height will down you) In the head office one can find both a stair way down to the box room, the area beneath the rafters where the box sits, behind that is a set of broken stairs that would lead you back to the beginning, but instead just cause you to slip down. 

As well, back in the head office, one can find a ladder strait to the roof, where there's a massive area built around a glass skylight. while stepping on the solid roof is fine, touching that skylight will drop you. You'll be fine if you land on a rafter, but not much anywhere else. 

Back in the box room there's a set of boxes one can climb over to find a door to the back parking lot, another wide area with a few downed burning trees and a few cars to prevent you from having too much of an OP area. 

As well, there's one area only accessible by falling off the rafters into an area  behind some boxes, you can crawl back over the boxes to get back to the main area, to get back.

Perks:

Jug: Found in the main office. 

PHD: Found in the secret back parking lot.

Quick revive: Found in the front room. 

Speed cola: Found in the power room. 

Double tap: Found in the small corridors. 

PAP: Found on the roof. 

Galvas: Found behind the boxes you have to fall from the rafters to get to. 

Box: Normal ? box. 

Gimicks: None. Progress through doors and survive. 

• 1 month later...

I honestly don't care if they bring new modes or not.

All I care about is having a proper survival mode, in simplistic form.  Doors to open, power to turn on, perks to buy.

No buildables.  No objectives.  I don't care if there are buildables and objectives in other modes, but just have a basic survival mode.

Hell, zombies started like that in WAW, with power, perks and the box being added to the second map, and PAP to the 4th.

Is it really that difficult to do another map like that?

This, mostly.

If they took Der Riese mechanics and just made more cool maps, that would be fine. Look at nuke town; if the perks were in the map at start, many would play this. As is, nobody plays it. If you want a cool spin on it, fine. But if it is just annoyance/busy work, pass on the idea.

What i would like to see: 4ww in each map, 1 per player or variety for solo games. No pathetic ones like jet gun/vrill gun. 2 'clear the way' wws, and 2 'late game' wws that kill forever/high rounds.

Traps that work late game.

No busy work. I don't want to run back and forth across the map 10 times just to do something simple like upgrade my ww. Parts for something are near its workbench, again no mindless tedium for no gain.

Hellhounds, i loved those guys. They don't need to be in every map, but done correctly, would be great.