Where are we going?

Gambit791

So Origins has left all us die hard zombie story fans a bit perplexed as to what is real and what isn't as far as our epic story goes. Is zombies done for good? Was it all just a game? Are we now entering a new dimension or real world of zombies? Do we have splintered universes?

I would like to suggest that Zombies in the form we all know and love is finished. The story is over, Treyarch realised it was too convoluted to make any sense of so left it with the "it was all a game."

As to the future of zombies, I do not think our beloved game is over.

I think Mob of the Dead was a test. And what was it testing? It was finding out our response to standalone Zombies stories, with similar mechanics but with a twist. If Zombies continues in Treyarch's next game. I believe that this is the way they will do it. Think about it. In Mob, the 2nd easter egg song specifically asks where are we going from here? There is even a lyric about forgetting what we know. I think this strongly hints that the direction Treyarch may take zombies is separate stories, no more linking between maps.

Is this good or bad? I think it could go either way. If they come up with solid concepts and stories like they did for Mob I can see it being very successful. Perhaps they've decided that the story they were telling was too limiting. Having to link it all back to Sam and 935 etc etc.

I really wish I could believe that this children's game stunt is just a big cliffhanger in our main story but even with the "My dad has a plan," line, I just don't see where they could go. I think that was just a tease for those who want to interpret the cutscene as being the start of it all.

If there had been a true link between Mob and our main story other than the name Nikolai and some completely unexplained blood vials with the Mobster's numbers on maybe I could believe it's all some grand plot but no, I think from here on out we have to leave everything we've learned behind.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really know where the story line could go. It could end where it is or branch off to a deeper story, I would be fine with that. But if they bring back more maps like Mob of the Dead, I will be completely fine with that, connected story or not. Mob was one of the best maps in zombies in my opinion, and I think the fresh story attributed to that.

Also, I highly, highly doubt zombies is going to be over anytime soon. From Activision's perspective, zombies brings in too many profits for them just to drop it. A lot of people buy Treyarch games just for zombies, and sales would easily suffer without it. I also would't mind a standalone game, "Call of Duty: Zombies" or something, but I doubt that's ever gonna happen, unfortunately...

I think what you said is likely. Why? Well i am not sure where i heard it, but i do remember in an interview they mentioned how the story was very community driven. It was written by committee in more then a few ways. When something is created in such a way, it is very hard to continue the story and also appeal all the original fans. I much rather the team start fresh, with a whole new storyline, without trying to appeal to any of the lore or backstory the community has formed so far.

Or purhaps the so-called-camp. Team is too lazy to actually think of anything new:

Eletric cherry, a huge boss, locked-downed perks and what-nots, area-baced-sounds, a different box, weird perk-machines, a safe area that is escaped from by falling from a high place, a grouped item storage system seen in the stats screen, an old weapon we think will be awsome but ends up being nerfed as heck, the sheild returns, wonder weapons can be upgraded by different means then pack a punch, an Easter egg with an ending, different characters, cutscene with guns not available in-game, multiple wall-outlines for the same weapons, things that need to be fed zombies for a cool powerfull reward, a new tacticle, a new way to power things, no bank or perma perks, Easter egg song activated by non-teddy bears and a code (aether song for those who haven't heard it), audio logs, harder-then-normal area (bridge, crazy place), No balistic knives, fire sales, specially dressed zombies... Need I go on?

• Administrators

Or purhaps the so-called-camp. Team is too lazy to actually think of anything new:

Eletric cherry, a huge boss, locked-downed perks and what-nots, area-baced-sounds, a different box, weird perk-machines, a safe area that is escaped from by falling from a high place, a grouped item storage system seen in the stats screen, an old weapon we think will be awsome but ends up being nerfed as heck, the sheild returns, wonder weapons can be upgraded by different means then pack a punch, an Easter egg with an ending, different characters, cutscene with guns not available in-game, multiple wall-outlines for the same weapons, things that need to be fed zombies for a cool powerfull reward, a new tacticle, a new way to power things, no bank or perma perks, Easter egg song activated by non-teddy bears and a code (aether song for those who haven't heard it), audio logs, harder-then-normal area (bridge, crazy place), No balistic knives, fire sales, specially dressed zombies... Need I go on?

This :mrgreen:

This :mrgreen:

Double this. :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Seriously, these are my exact feelings about the campaign team interfering with the maps. "Hey, we get that you have your own story and all going on, I mean, that's cool. But we think...well...maybe we should just totally mess all of the exposition up with WWI and a vague cutscene that makes very little sense to make this big story you guys have been creating since like 2009 even better. Oh yeah, and we'll make the DLC 2 map have nothing to do with the story and never revisit the actual plot of that map. Sound good? Great!" :roll:

^Ranting aside, I think that by removing the story from future Zombie maps would basically be Treyarch shooting themselves in the foot. I think by now they understand that most fans care as much about the story as they do gameplay, and the two go together in Zombies like peanut-butter and jelly. If they haven't, Richtofen help us they figure it out soon. Although, I wouldn't be too shocked if your predictions are correct- the story has sort of hit a dead end. We've been anywhere you can imagine- the Himalayas, the Pentagon, Area 51...hell we made it to the moon and back! But seeing as how we don't even fully understand what happened at the end of Origins, the story is officially open-ended as of now. I'm biding my time until the PC audio files come out to squeeze every bit of story out of this map before I call it in.

People have been saying that the campaign team made both Mob of the Dead and Origins.

Why?

I haven't seen any evidence to that wild rumor.

Besides. I'm pretty sure the interior of Treyarch isn't split into: Campaign, MP, and Zombies.

It's far more likely that the map designers for campaign and zombies and even multiplayer are mixed, exchanged, and swapped around freely. The code writters, 3D artists, and maybe even some story writting are all communal.

Just as well, pointing out all the similarities between this and MotD isn't significant.

I could do the same with any two zombie maps. I mean ALL zombie maps from B02 have:

1 new perk to replace the previous new perk

The four original perks, and an additional BO1 perk

Mystery Box, Pack-a-Punch, wall weapons, perma perks, alternate enemy monsters, same N4 characters, same EE goal, and etc.

I mean, I really don't think you can call Origins "Lazy" for having similar attributes to MotD.

The rumor came from been downing, the (children cover your eyes) ass who has been a complete bitch about the storyline.... He apparently has an inside guy...

But yeah they are intertwined, some camp. team work with zombies, some zombies work with MP, some work with all three. That's why I said "so-called" because in reality, its 40-60% the same people with a different person in charge... But that makes all the difference doesn't it...

And it wasn't those people in both who messed up, their job was gameplay, and they did a FANTASTIC job of it... It's the storywriters who have been slacking... the other 60-40%...