What map has the best atmosphere?

My pick would be Mob of the Dead. Everything about that map's atmosphere is perfect imo. The visuals are incredibly haunting and scary but not in a cheesy way, the mobster voice acting and the contextual music are spot on, the zombies look hellish with their red eyes and barbwire all over their bodies, and, perhaps most importantly, the dark backstory of the map gives it a depth that no other map has been able to match.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They all have a unique atmosphere. I suppose if you're going for scary atmosphere, you'd go for MotD, Verruckt, etc.

For a tranquil beauty one, you'd go for Shangri-La, Die Rise, etc.

For a dank and dirty one, you'd go for Kino, Buried, etc.

Really it all depends what your looking. They're all unique. Not to mention they have a seperate story-ish atmosphere. For example, TranZit's atmosphere fits well because of the story at that point.

• Administrators

At this moment, it's a close call between Shangri-la and Origins.

Shangri-la has a rich and beautifully designed environment that gives off the perfect Indiana Jones vibe. The details in the textures are amazing alongside the flow of the game mechanics. There is just some magic in the map that makes the entire map feel...ancient and mystique.

Origins has the devastated and ruined look that I love oh so much. I have an odd, personal attachment towards an environment that makes playing in an apocalyptic surrounding feel so good. It's has such a large and open map landscape yet vividly displays World War I with all the zombie additions to it. I love it.

They all have a unique atmosphere. I suppose if you're going for scary atmosphere, you'd go for MotD, Verruckt, etc.

For a tranquil beauty one, you'd go for Shangri-La, Die Rise, etc.

For a dank and dirty one, you'd go for Kino, Buried, etc.

Really it all depends what your looking. They're all unique. Not to mention they have a seperate story-ish atmosphere. For example, TranZit's atmosphere fits well because of the story at that point.

Amazing answer.

Playing origins you can look up and see hundreds of planes, Zeppelins, and other manned aircraft. Naturally this gives off a feeling of someone having your back, right? NOPE. This adds emphasis to how horribly alone you feel while playing it. It's like human contact is barely out of reach. Also the lightning, the music, and the Hoffman giant robots! Looking up when one is a few paces away is unbelievable. I've only played origins like 3 times, and at first glance it seems gloomy and muddy like a foggy Shi No Numa, but this map is really something else.

If we are going for atmosphere, I would have to say Mob of the Dead. Every time I play that map, I feel a lot more "sucked in" than any other map due to the feel it gives.

I would also want to say Tranzit, and although the gameplay itself sucked, the atmosphere of the map has the perfect post-apocalyptic world that I think fits zombies perfectly (except the lava. I HATE the lava).

Mob of the Dead at the top, also Call of the Dead, Verruckt, Shi No Numa, and Moon.

I particularly like Moon's Alien-esque vibe. Just like Alien, there shouldn't be anything alive besides you and your friends. It makes it all the more terrifying when say, a crawler catches up with you after a long period of silence besides your character talking. The music from Samantha's reveal was also fittingly... well. Relevant, perhaps? This was a huge moment in Zombies. The sort of reverence Samantha gets when the alien device is opened is just haunting and a big wham moment, since we're dealing with forces beyond our "mortal comprehension" as Maxis would later put it.

• Administrators

Deffinatly moon, and you want to know why? Because there is no flipping atmosphere... Your on the ph-floppin moon!

Fallowed closely by call of the dead, that map Deffiantly gave off the "frozen island" deal quite well!

Damn beat me to the joke, I do love moon, but best atmosphere would still be Shangri-La. Water fall slide, spike traps, and changing back and forth through time with the eclipsed moon just great.

Out of not wanting to pick MOTD like most would I will go with Tranzit.

When I play that map, it really feels like I'm playing in a world that is over. Granted textures aren't the greatest, but all the sounds, the fog and the cornfield just make me feel like it's not going to get any better lol

Agreed. The atmosphere is by far the best part of that map. It's just... it's desolate. A true post-apocalyptic feel that simply wasn't captured in Die Rise or Buried.

Despise most everything else about Tranzit though lol