So, Treyarch made another error...

Tac

• Administrators

In the trailer, we all noticed how Treyarch misspelled Nikolai's last name. But now, this comes in forms of the letters. Not a spelling error though, a legitimate historical inaccuracy. We were all impressed with them using real life battles from World War I, but I noticed something.

null_zps93b02e9e.jpg

April 14, 1918

After far too long waiting on the sidelines, we finally got our first taste of combat. Our actions at Belleau Wood seem to have brought their Spring Offensive to a grinding halt. We even heard talk that Fritz has nicknamed us the Devil Dogs', following the all round ass kicking they took... and that's fine by me. We intercepted communications suggesting that we're not the only nation to learn of the enemy's plans. Scuttlebutt is that the Russians & Japanese are looking to grab a slice of the action. Things are going to get interesting.

Dempsey

The Battle of Belleau Wood really did happen, and some people think the term Devil Dog really did come from that battle. However, a newspaper used the term before the battle ever happened, and it was published on none other than April 14, 1918. Cool, huh? Not really, because the battle didn't occur until June 1 and Dempsey is describing the combat on April 14, two weeks prior to the Germans launching an offensive on them. So while the term was possibly coined on that day, Dempsey attributes it to an event that hasn't even happened yet. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm chalking this up as a Treyarch mistake.

Just thought I'd point this out, thanks for reading :)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Argh not much gets past old Tac daddy.

It's cool you found a newspaper article dated the same day that mentions the Devil Dogs.

I'm not too concerned about timelines & dates anymore. There's always too many contradictions & you can go around in circles forever. I just think everything is mashed together now.

But I'm saying this to the man who has the Time & Location thread. :lol:

Props Tac.

Sorry Tac, for once I have to disagree with you. As a former Marine myself, it is taught at Basic Training that the term Devil Dog did indeed come from that battle, even though it may really have just been some patriotic journalism at the time. It's not Treyarch's mistake though, that is indeed what has been taught since WW1.

Sorry Tac, for once I have to disagree with you. As a former Marine myself, it is taught at Basic Training that the term Devil Dog did indeed come from that battle, even though it may really have just been some patriotic journalism at the time. It's not Treyarch's mistake though, that is indeed what has been taught since WW1.

That's not what he's trying to say; he's saying that Dempsey mentioned the Battle of Bellau Wood on April 14, when in reality it started on June 1.

Apparently the battle began earlier than we thought, just like HAARP being around in 1940.

Or they keep making silly mistakes. Like they also miss spelled Der Riese in Rezurrection poster.

If saying HAARP was around 50 years before it was was the result of a "simple" mistake (overlooking 50 years?) then I'm sure having the futuristic Ray Gun was a mistake too.

Give Treyarch a break. Don't focus on the things they get wrong but rather right.

Apparently the battle began earlier than we thought, just like HAARP being around in 1940.

Or they keep making silly mistakes. Like they also miss spelled Der Riese in Rezurrection poster.

The first time we encounter a written version of "Der Riese" it is spelt incorrectly/different.

The note in Shi No Numa says -

"Die Glock

der Reise"

And in all honesty, Element 115 wasn't created until 2004.

• Administrators

^ That's what I'm saying.. They matched the date with the actual newspaper article dating the term Devil Dog.. And yes the REAL battle was several weeks later. Did you read what I said about patriotic journalism?

Yeah and I'm sure it was a patriotic journal, however all I'm saying is that Dempsey mentions a battle that hasn't happened yet, that's where I'm sayng the diescrepancy lies :)

^ That's what I'm saying.. They matched the date with the actual newspaper article dating the term Devil Dog.. And yes the REAL battle was several weeks later. Did you read what I said about patriotic journalism?

Yeah and I'm sure it was a patriotic journal, however all I'm saying is that Dempsey mentions a battle that hasn't happened yet, that's where I'm sayng the diescrepancy lies :)

Ok well that does sound like an error. The battle was in June, but Tank mentions it in April.

It would honestly surprise me if it's anything less than stellar.

Any gun can be in any time era in my opinion because things like the mystery box and pack a punch operate outside of the current time/space of whatever map you are playing. Listen to Marltons quotes when he pack a punches on Buried, as well as how you get old guns in the future when they technically aren't being used anymore. Just my opinion, don't shoot me.

As far as the error above... personally if something like this is the worst mistake they've done in linking this story to real life events then they're doing pretty damn good. I would never have thought to research that for validity. I think the title of this thread is a bit harsh though.

Nice find Tac

Feels like they've already made too many errors for this map. I don't think they even know what they're trying to do here... WW2 guns in a WW1 setting, giant robots and staves as wonderweapons? It'll be amazing thing if they can actually explain what the frick is going on.

Might as well explain why there were zombies in WW1, or why there was a thing called Element 115 that can reanimate dead people...

As far as guns go, it has never been very consistent. Even Maxis is claiming credit for creating the Mauser, which looks just like the real-life Mauser C96, which was produced in 1896.

Plus we're getting 2025 weapons from the Mystery Box anyway, so it's not like we can complain much about anachronistic weapons.

Might as well explain why there were zombies in WW1, or why there was a thing called Element 115 that can reanimate dead people...

As far as guns go, it has never been very consistent. Even Maxis is claiming credit for creating the Mauser, which looks just like the real-life Mauser C96, which was produced in 1896.

Plus we're getting 2025 weapons from the Mystery Box anyway, so it's not like we can complain much about anachronistic weapons.

Yeah, really not getting why people can't comprehend all this. The only explanation is it's zombies and anything can happen.

Feels like they've already made too many errors for this map. I don't think they even know what they're trying to do here... WW2 guns in a WW1 setting, giant robots and staves as wonderweapons? It'll be amazing thing if they can actually explain what the frick is going on.

I feel like that's a challenge.

I accept. :P