The 1996 sign in Die Rise.

I have countlessly seen many people state the beauty ad in Die Rise that states (since 1996) is definitive proof the map takes place after 1996 and in 2025.

I am here to disprove that.

I believe the real meaning of the sign is a nod to Treyarch.

You see, Treyarch as a company was founded in what year? 1996...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treyarch

the sign is just a nod to Treyarch. and it does not mean anything.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has been brought up before and it can be taken as either way. Just because YOU believe it's a nod to Treayarch does not make it definitive proof.

this is like the Livingstone Mine argument, that was just a nod to a Treyarch developer, and this is more then likely the same, sometimes people on this forum take things too seriously and think everything has a meaning, through I could be wrong, it's just way tons more likely

Not that I have definitive proof ethier, I am also in the camp of the BO2 Maps (sans MOTD and Origins) taking place in the 60's

Though it's highly probable that the "Since 1996" just refers to Treyarch, there are many other things that point towards the date of the map being played at least after the year 2000. Firstly -

Jin Mao Tower

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jin_Mao_Tower

Construction started - 1994

Completed - 1999

Along with the Oriental Pearl Tower, it is part of the Pudong skyline. Its height was surpassed on September 14, 2007 by the Shanghai World Financial Center which is next to the building. The Shanghai Tower, a 128-story building located next to these two buildings and now under construction, will be even taller.

In-Game Image - Notice where the light is shining on the right, that is the Jin Mao Tower, next to the Shanghai World Financial Center. The Oriental Pearl Tower is also shown.

There are soldiers wearing the SDC uniforms, the hi-tech fridge & more than likely the name "Great Leap Forward". There is probably a few other things aswell.

You can go around in circles forever trying to pinpoint a map date, I think it's impossible & I think it's part of the story. Everything is mixed & merged together. There are serious issues with the zombies timeline.

The only date I would take for canon is Verruckt, because it states the date when you start the game.

this is like the Livingstone Mine argument, that was just a nod to a Treyarch developer, and this is more then likely the same, sometimes people on this forum take things too seriously and think everything has a meaning, through I could be wrong, it's just way tons more likely

Not that I have definitive proof ethier, I am also in the camp of the BO2 Maps (sans MOTD and Origins) taking place in the 60's

I don't think everything has a meaning, I just like trying to give everything one. whether it is just a nod to 3arc or not I think it is impossible to ignore it and say the map is in the 60's, there is not enough to just write it off a a nod to the devs.

But saying that I refused to believe JD was just a nod to the community manager, although this is a little diffrent

I may entertain the notion that TranZit, NTZ, or Buried take place in the 60's because Moon and NTZ happen at the same time and Marleton is clearly at NTZ. Unless Marleton is a time-traveller himself (could be because of his watch and his "brainy" pesonality), I would assume that Moon and NTZ occur at the same time and TranZit shortly after.

Die Rise is obviously taking place at a later date than the other maps, but TranZit, Buried, Moon, NTZ, and all other maps besides Die Rise could be taking place within the same decade. There's just not enough evidence to confirm or deny such, but there is plenty in Die Rise, as Pinnaz illustrated.

The question is: Why would the N4 need to go into the future for one map and power a tower? It doesn't make sense for all the tower maps to be in different times as they are physically linked. So, Die Rise, TranZit, and Buried must all take place during the same relative times.

In conclusion, this means either:

A) Moon, NTZ, TranZit, Die Rise, & Buried all take place in the future circa 202X

-or-

B) Moon & NTZ ocurr in the 60's and Marleton is a time-traveler.

I lean towards B, because I ask myself...What was Marleton building in the NTZ bunker? Why would anyone build a device in a fallout bunker while a Nuke is going off? Maybe he needed some highly radioactive material for his device...He could have a hazmat suit on to have harvested this material, but we don't know because we never see him.

I may entertain the notion that TranZit, NTZ, or Buried take place in the 60's because Moon and NTZ happen at the same time and Marleton is clearly at NTZ. Unless Marleton is a time-traveller himself (could be because of his watch and his "brainy" pesonality), I would assume that Moon and NTZ occur at the same time and TranZit shortly after.

Die Rise is obviously taking place at a later date than the other maps, but TranZit, Buried, Moon, NTZ, and all other maps besides Die Rise could be taking place within the same decade. There's just not enough evidence to confirm or deny such, but there is plenty in Die Rise, as Pinnaz illustrated.

The question is: Why would the N4 need to go into the future for one map and power a tower? It doesn't make sense for all the tower maps to be in different times as they are physically linked. So, Die Rise, TranZit, and Buried must all take place during the same relative times.

In conclusion, this means either:

A) Moon, NTZ, TranZit, Die Rise, & Buried all take place in the future circa 202X

-or-

B) Moon & NTZ ocurr in the 60's and Marleton is a time-traveler.

I lean towards B, because I ask myself...What was Marleton building in the NTZ bunker? Why would anyone build a device in a fallout bunker while a Nuke is going off? Maybe he needed some highly radioactive material for his device...He could have a hazmat suit on to have harvested this material, but we don't know because we never see him.

Ok.... riddle me this then if they're time travelers. If the earth was almost completely destroyed with most of the people wiped out, then why is it that a completely new building was built way after the 60s? Presumably the posters wouldn't be anything fancy anymore either, why would anybody have time for these when they're trying to survive? Yeah, after 1996 for everything.

You see, nothing COULD be built after the zombies and the blown up earth. It's just crazy to think otherwise. There would be no purpose to time travel and then go back either. I mean, there wouldn't be anything new, so why go? You're overthinking it

not to disprove you or anything because that actually makes sense but doesn't it seem a little odd they would be nodding to themselves? haha usually companies do it in recognition of other companies or successful franchises that they are fans of themselves that may have held inspiration of some form at some point.

Like the Teddy Bear in Modern Warfare, that's a nod to Treyarch.

not to disprove you or anything because that actually makes sense but doesn't it seem a little odd they would be nodding to themselves? haha usually companies do it in recognition of other companies or successful franchises that they are fans of themselves that may have held inspiration of some form at some point.

Like the Teddy Bear in Modern Warfare, that's a nod to Treyarch.

It's very possible for it to be a nod to themselves, but that still doesn't mean the map doesn't take place in 2025 as there are other things that say other wise, as PINNAZ has shown in his post.

Ok.... riddle me this then if they're time travelers. If the earth was almost completely destroyed with most of the people wiped out, then why is it that a completely new building was built way after the 60s? Presumably the posters wouldn't be anything fancy anymore either, why would anybody have time for these when they're trying to survive? Yeah, after 1996 for everything.

You see, nothing COULD be built after the zombies and the blown up earth. It's just crazy to think otherwise. There would be no purpose to time travel and then go back either. I mean, there wouldn't be anything new, so why go? You're overthinking it

I understand what you're saying. You're saying that if Moon ocurred in the 60's, why would the Jin Mao Tower had been built after the rockets hit Earth?

Great point for debate. Thank you for actually coming up with something.

Of course, one other in-game piece of evidence is 'The Flesh' and the 'Zombie Center'. Both of these show up in Die Rise. We're only assuming one of the rockets from Moon hit Shanghai to cause the damage we see in Die Rise, but that's not a fact. The sky in Die Rise is littered with chunks of rock, like meteors, but some of them appear to orbit. If a nuclear missle struck the Earth and caused a great enough impact, it's entirely possible some large chunks of rock could be launched into orbit. These rocks would constantly be fighting gravity, eventually some would lose the battle and fall back to Earth like a meteor.

It's highly possible (and highly likely) that the Nukes hit the Western Hemisphere and did not devastate Asia, so survivors were not subject to the initial blast, but they would battle surviving radiation and, of course, falling chunks of the Earth after they were jettisoned away from the blasts. So, life and civilization continued. What happened to the US when we dropped nuclear bombs on Nagasaki and Hiroshima? Did we stop building things? No.

The fact that 'The Flesh' exists is proof that survivors adapted to dealing with the Zombies and the orbiting rocks in the sky of Die Rise are proof that chunks of the Earth were blown away from the surface. Whether these falling rocks caused the damage we see in Die Rise is not clear, but it is possible.

So, your statement that nothing could be built after the rockets and zombies is not accurate at all. Sure it might be crazy to think and imagine, but how crazy is the formation of a cult that eats zombie flesh? Life goes on, regardless of the circumstances.

Furthermore, what is Arrow? Apparently Arrow is some sort of military intelligence or security that Russman was a member of. Is it logical to think that maybe Arrow was developed to combat all the zombies? Russman sure seems like a hardcore slayer based on his quotes...

So, there's plenty of evidence to support civilization and society continuing and even adapting after the "apocalypse".

I understand what you're saying. You're saying that if Moon ocurred in the 60's, why would the Jin Mao Tower had been built after the rockets hit Earth?

Great point for debate. Thank you for actually coming up with something.

Of course, one other in-game piece of evidence is 'The Flesh' and the 'Zombie Center'. Both of these show up in Die Rise. We're only assuming one of the rockets from Moon hit Shanghai to cause the damage we see in Die Rise, but that's not a fact. The sky in Die Rise is littered with chunks of rock, like meteors, but some of them appear to orbit. If a nuclear missle struck the Earth and caused a great enough impact, it's entirely possible some large chunks of rock could be launched into orbit. These rocks would constantly be fighting gravity, eventually some would lose the battle and fall back to Earth like a meteor.

It's highly possible (and highly likely) that the Nukes hit the Western Hemisphere and did not devastate Asia, so survivors were not subject to the initial blast, but they would battle surviving radiation and, of course, falling chunks of the Earth after they were jettisoned away from the blasts. So, life and civilization continued. What happened to the US when we dropped nuclear bombs on Nagasaki and Hiroshima? Did we stop building things? No.

The fact that 'The Flesh' exists is proof that survivors adapted to dealing with the Zombies and the orbiting rocks in the sky of Die Rise are proof that chunks of the Earth were blown away from the surface. Whether these falling rocks caused the damage we see in Die Rise is not clear, but it is possible.

So, your statement that nothing could be built after the rockets and zombies is not accurate at all. Sure it might be crazy to think and imagine, but how crazy is the formation of a cult that eats zombie flesh? Life goes on, regardless of the circumstances.

Furthermore, what is Arrow? Apparently Arrow is some sort of military intelligence or security that Russman was a member of. Is it logical to think that maybe Arrow was developed to combat all the zombies? Russman sure seems like a hardcore slayer based on his quotes...

So, there's plenty of evidence to support civilization and society continuing and even adapting after the "apocalypse".

I knew that the rockets likely dd not impact that area, however from the scale of the quake (it shook the moon even, didn't it?), along with the huge meteorites falling from the sky (speaking of which, would those still be falling if this were 40+ years later?). I'm pretty sure Richtofen would have attempted to have his fun so that no one would have a chance to build anything. Like, technology would not advance much more with the cataclysm that happened to at least half the earth, and the destruction of the other side.

This, combined with zombies, makes building a skyscraper unlikely. All I'm saying is that the scale was great.

Also, wasn't it broken arrow? I have nothing to say on them, because we know absolutely nothing of them.

Broken Arrow. Yes, that's right. We don't know much about them, but we do know they exist and Russman was a member.

As far as the chunks of rock staying in orbit, it's all trajectories and velocities. A rocket scientist could mathematically explain it better, but the short answer is yes, they could remain in orbit for well over 40 years. How long has the Moon been in orbit of the Earth? All the Moon is, is a big chunk of rock, that many astronomers think may have actually been a chunk of the Earth at one time that was jettisoned out from a huge meteor strike in the past (possibly the one responsible for wiping out the dinosaurs).

I actually think that technology would improve after an apocalypse. With a reduction in global population a lot of energy used to sustain the population wouldn't be needed anymore, so those energies could be used elsewhere. Humans are very good at adapting, this is why we've evolved from climbing trees to evade predators to designing weapons with which to make them our prey. It only makes sense we would adapt just as fiercely to a zombie apocalypse. Why else do we have the N4? Seemingly very average people, yet they're adept at dispatching the Zombies. Seems like they've been dealing with it for a while...Our O4 were just military badasses, but the N4 are like born into it.

It's like looking at technology on a generational standpoint. Kids born in the 80's grew up with computers, but not really cell phones and wifi. That generation can operate computers much more efficiently than say a baby boomer, but look at kids born in the 90's or 00's...I was born in the 80's and I never had a laptop when I was a kid. So, you don't have to be a military badass post-apocalypse to slay zombies...It's a regular thing, just as regular as it is to us to operate a computer.

Broken Arrow. Yes, that's right. We don't know much about them, but we do know they exist and Russman was a member.

As far as the chunks of rock staying in orbit, it's all trajectories and velocities. A rocket scientist could mathematically explain it better, but the short answer is yes, they could remain in orbit for well over 40 years. How long has the Moon been in orbit of the Earth? All the Moon is, is a big chunk of rock, that many astronomers think may have actually been a chunk of the Earth at one time that was jettisoned out from a huge meteor strike in the past (possibly the one responsible for wiping out the dinosaurs).

I actually think that technology would improve after an apocalypse. With a reduction in global population a lot of energy used to sustain the population wouldn't be needed anymore, so those energies could be used elsewhere. Humans are very good at adapting, this is why we've evolved from climbing trees to evade predators to designing weapons with which to make them our prey. It only makes sense we would adapt just as fiercely to a zombie apocalypse. Why else do we have the N4? Seemingly very average people, yet they're adept at dispatching the Zombies. Seems like they've been dealing with it for a while...Our O4 were just military badasses, but the N4 are like born into it.

It's like looking at technology on a generational standpoint. Kids born in the 80's grew up with computers, but not really cell phones and wifi. That generation can operate computers much more efficiently than say a baby boomer, but look at kids born in the 90's or 00's...I was born in the 80's and I never had a laptop when I was a kid. So, you don't have to be a military badass post-apocalypse to slay zombies...It's a regular thing, just as regular as it is to us to operate a computer.

Okay... so you say people adapt to killing zombies. Obviously. That's not what we're going for, technology is. I think you've got it the wrong way, technology wouldn't advance as well in the apocalypse because we have a smaller population that needs to stay alive, and have to focus on just that, staying alive, and technology advances faster when in a time of "peace" per say. The earth is destroyed, and the vast majority of people are dead, even those on the other side of the earth. Fat chance they're gonna build a building.

Also, just because the N4 adapt doesn't mean that they were good at it initially. That is the issue, because many people probably had to die before good "zombie killing techniques" were developed.

The military would't have helped keep zombies out either. Look at any zombie movie on a global scale.

I think NZ/Die Rise/TranZit all take place somwhere 2025+.

Why was Marlton in the bunker? Well, why was Richtofen on the tv transmissions?

Obviously to show that NZ and Moon take place simultaneously.

Precisily why Marlton was in the bunker, to show that NZ and TranZit take place roughly at the same time.

There's also more evidence that suggests the maps take place in 2025.

Of course whether you go with: the maps take place in 1960 or in 2025 some things don't add up. Much like the whole "well Kino can't take place in 1960 cause the building would have been demolished by that time for sure" thing.

The vast majority of the global population are in Asia, so if the Western Hemisphere was wiped out, there would still be plenty of people alive to keep technology going.

BTW, though nuclear missiles pack a punch ( :mrgreen: ), impact on one side of the globe would not cause damage on the other side. The fallout would be the hardest thing for humanity to survive, but fallout can take years to kill.

Initially after the rockets hit, only those in the immediate blast radius would be killed, which for nuclear missiles is really not as large as some other bombs, like the hyrdogen bomb. So, plenty of people would have survived the initial blasts...They're not just going to stop their lives because a bunch of people on the other side of the planet died. Did Japan shut down on 9/11? No.

If their everyday lives continued, so would all their projects. We don't know when Shanghai would have been subjected to zombie outbreaks, nor do we know when the damage to these skyscrapers would have ocurred, so we can't really say for sure when they would have abandoned projects like the Jin Mao Tower.

I'm not saying I'm right and anyone else is wrong. The timeframe of Moon, and BO:2 maps is a big controversy. All I'm doing is illustrating the possibilities and both are equally as possible. There isn't evidence to support one outcome moreso than another and the more you debate my theories, the more I will debate yours.

Getting back to the OP...The 1996 sign in Die Rise is not a sufficient piece of evidence to pinpoint timeframes one way or the other.

The vast majority of the global population are in Asia, so if the Western Hemisphere was wiped out, there would still be plenty of people alive to keep technology going.

BTW, though nuclear missiles pack a punch ( :mrgreen: ), impact on one side of the globe would not cause damage on the other side. The fallout would be the hardest thing for humanity to survive, but fallout can take years to kill.

Initially after the rockets hit, only those in the immediate blast radius would be killed, which for nuclear missiles is really not as large as some other bombs, like the hyrdogen bomb. So, plenty of people would have survived the initial blasts...They're not just going to stop their lives because a bunch of people on the other side of the planet died. Did Japan shut down on 9/11? No.

If their everyday lives continued, so would all their projects. We don't know when Shanghai would have been subjected to zombie outbreaks, nor do we know when the damage to these skyscrapers would have ocurred, so we can't really say for sure when they would have abandoned projects like the Jin Mao Tower.

I'm not saying I'm right and anyone else is wrong. The timeframe of Moon, and BO:2 maps is a big controversy. All I'm doing is illustrating the possibilities and both are equally as possible. There isn't evidence to support one outcome moreso than another and the more you debate my theories, the more I will debate yours.

Getting back to the OP...The 1996 sign in Die Rise is not a sufficient piece of evidence to pinpoint timeframes one way or the other.

The impact of the missiles creating such destruction on one side would cause earthquakes that would still greatly damage the other side. That is what I have been saying. That destruction would make it so people on the other side of the earth could not go back to their regular lives because the damage is so great, and that combined with zombies would not allow for more things to be built.

You must also understand that Asia also gets stuff from us like they give to us, we are co-dependent, so things would be chaotic not just in the western hemisphere in terms of resources. Theoretically they could come back from it, but the chances are slim. This isn't just one side of the earth. It is still on a global scale. It's nothing like 9/11, so stop making such a silly comparison.

Also, the blasts were pretty damn big, I'm pretty sure it's bigger than a simple nuclear blast.

You may not think it's past 2025, but yeah, there is sufficient evidence to say it is. More so that it being in the 60s.

They sure picked an awful time to reference their founding year. In a game where time is really hard to keep track of, any date or time period structure should all point to in game references. The homage thing would be more believable if it were in the campaign, or a MP map, I can't agree with the OP.

See what happens. I'll quote myself.

You can go around in circles forever trying to pinpoint a map date, I think it's impossible & I think it's part of the story. Everything is mixed & merged together. There are serious issues with the zombies timeline.

The only date I would take for canon is Verruckt, because it states the date when you start the game.

This is Zombies, everything is mashed together. We now have a giant robot during World War 1!

Don't worry about dates. There are too many contradictions & inconsistencies

I've always entertained the idea that we go forward in time at the beginning of Moon. Then whilst we're up there, we're in 2025, or whatever this post 1996 time is.

There is no possible way Moon can take place in 2025, Nuketown debunks this as Nuketown has to take place in the 1960's, due to the fact above ground Nuclear Testing was banned after the 1960's, and Tranzit takes place shortly after Nuketown.