Zombies Stand-alone Game?

Do we think thay they are going to make a stand-alone version of Zombies? I can see two coming.

Zombies : Richtofen & Zombies : Maxis

Continuing on from each side of the Bruied EE with the N4 trying to put a stop to the Zombie onslaught. Buried was hardly an end to the N4's story is it.

Whats your thoughts on a stand-alone game? I really hope they continue this series as if only just started playin zombies and I want for theories and speculation to ponder over. Plus shootin zombies is hella fun.

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, they won't… zombies makes a lot of money for trayarch yes, but you know what activation and the call of duty franchise sells more then the zombies? The campaign+ multiplayer. 

Trayarch isn't going to shriek it's duties for one zombies game. The story will likely continue with what I call a "constant" Something that will ALWAYS happen: 

In some realties maxis triumphed over richtofen, in others just the opposite, 

in both, after the victory, their actions force them to guide Samuel/O4 into a whole new era of epic and horror. 

Still, In the very least, It would be nice to have some off-hand pack avaiable with all zombies maps in one convienent location. Could be something similar to what Red Dead Redemption did with Undead Nightmare; and optional standalone DLC pack.

I am not sure exactly who owns the rights to the zombie game-mode, Treyarch or Activision, but as it is just now, I just cannot see a stand-alone game ever happening. As mocking said, the MP side of the game makes $100 to every $1 zombies brings in. Maybe even more.

Attempts to dumb down zombies to appeal to a wider audience could be seen as a possible test at how much they can expand the market, but unless the CoD franchise deteriorates badly in sales, I think zombies will remain a permanent fixture in the series.

Still... you never know. Activision clearly are motivated by money over quality these days, so it could be something the consider for next-gen somewhere down the line.

I would prefer not having a stand alone game honestly.

The way it is set up now is perfect. They release the maps over the course of months, giving us time to speculate and get hyped about it. This also makes it flow like an actual ongoing story. By putting multiple maps in the game off the bat campaign-style it ruins the suspense of the next map. If they did include DLC in a zombies-exclusive game, Then I still wouldn't be getting my money's worth. I might prefer zombies, but I still love multiplayer.

I can't see it working honestly. It just wouldn't appeal to the fans as much.

• Moderators

I would prefer not having a stand alone game honestly.

The way it is set up now is perfect. They release the maps over the course of months, giving us time to speculate and get hyped about it. This also makes it flow like an actual ongoing story. By putting multiple maps in the game off the bat campaign-style it ruins the suspense of the next map. If they did include DLC in a zombies-exclusive game, Then I still wouldn't be getting my money's worth. I might prefer zombies, but I still love multiplayer.

I can't see it working honestly. It just wouldn't appeal to the fans as much.

My Idea of a stand alone game would be Three maps to ship with the disc for like 30 bucks at max.

The following year there would be 4 maps being released for 3-5 bucks each.

I don't want a game with 15 maps and cutscenes etc. for 60 bucks.

Never understood the demand for a 'standalone zombies game'. 

Imagine the reactions if a standalone Singleplayer or Multiplayer CoD was ever released.

People would be furious over the idea of paying more for less content.

That's also the main reason a standalone zombies game probably won't ever be released in the future.

"Hey, remember that cool bonusmode you liked in Black Ops? Well we made a few more maps for that! Sounds great right? Yeah that'll be 60 dollars then."

Unless of course the amount of content in this standalone game rivals that of the normal CoDs, or like Lenne said, they won't charge fullprice for it. 

But wait, this is Activision we're talking about here.

I don't see why they wouldn't, honestly. 

Perhaps I'm the minority here on this, but I'd say it's fairly simple. Hell in a way, they already have. iOS Zombies anyone?

Activision tries to scavenger up every dollar possible. I'm not saying let's make a full fledged zombie game with different content and all from what's available in the CoD games, I'm saying have some "Mini game" that's basically everything zombies, all in one location as an XBL arcade game or separate DLC bundle. As the playlist grows in further CoD titles for zombies, the content for that would surely grow afterwords too.

There's plenty of people on here alone that admit to purchasing DLC just for Zombies. Why not appeal to the zombies community? 

Aye, many people don't give a hoot about the map packs's maps, but they care VERY much about the multilayer it's self. 

basically the best way to please everyone is to just remove multiplayer maps from map packs. But keep MP in the main game. 

This will piss off the MP fans. 

The majority of people buy the DLCs for the multiplayer maps anyway.

That's the thing though. Most people don't really care about new multiplayer maps in map packs. But they give it to us anyway just to justify us paying $15 for it. If it was a zombies only DLC for like 5 Dollars, they wouldn't be turning as much of a profit from the zombies fans.

No, they wouldn't lose money. 

Think about it, if they released a standalone game or mega DLC pack with all the zombies maps to date for about 20 bucks, would you get it? You already bought the map packs thus far, so you'd be buying them for a second time, a third for some of them. So basically you just gave them more money for the samething you already bought from them to have them all in one convienent location. If they we really worried about losing money (lol yeah okay...), they could simply do what they did with the Resurrection pack, and make a separate DLC at the end of the year just for the zombies maps. So, an additional 15 bucks later, you have 4 new maps from the latest CoD available for this standalone game. Not including if you decided to buy the map packs as well throughout the current CoD year.

I'm 100% for a Zombie Treyarch game. They could even keep the same exact formula they have now for every CoD game. Only difference would be they did a zombie campaign instead of another regular save the world from another cheesy terrorist/army leader. I personally didn't enjoy BO2s campaign all that much. Not a fan of the future setting and family tie in. And I hated Ghosts campaign, which again tried using the family soap opera aspect to add emotion to the story. I didn't need Woods to be my brother to care about his character, or Sgt. Roebuck to be my dad to respect him. The family thing was just a cheap way to add more depth to the stories. Just shows the non creative ways Activision is coming up with to try and add new things to the campaigns so they aren't the same thing over and over. instead of making them more like a show on ABC, I'd rather they go in a new direction entirely. 

A full campaign made around the zombies storyline would be awesome. Don't recycle the old story but build on it. Make the campaign about new survivors and how they are battling through the world right before and after Moon. Its the same timeline as BO2s zombie story line, but a new group that has to fight zombies, groups like the Flesh, maybe other secret military groups like 935 still being around, and other creatures like denizens, Nova crawlers, and new things. And run the campaign mostly like every other CoD one. A linear story line through interesting maps, fighting mostly humans with the other things mixed in. Then have mini game moments just like other CoD games. Sniping moments, where you need to cover survivors fleeing zombies, holding position moments where you set up traps and hold off waves while someone opens a door, vehicle moments where you drive through a battle zone with people shooting and creatures jumping on the car, and so on. We all know the same old action moments in each game. Adding zombies and maybe throwing in some boss battles would make these moments feel new. Maybe adding small moments on a couple of maps where you need to survive 15 rounds in an area before advancing on the map. 

And then keep MP but now you get to use the interesting designs of the campaign maps. Ones with a darker horror apocalyptic settings instead of the same old helipad, factory, or train and ship yard settings. Maybe even add a couple of new game modes where zombies also appear on the map just to add something new, so campers can't get too comfortable. Or even add grief mode to these maps. 

Then keep zombie mode the same way its been, with a couple of maps on release. Maybe unlock 1 or 2 from the campaign. And base this mode around the WaW group or BO2 characters, with their own EEs and story line that could be linear or a continuation of the campaign's story. And you could also add the mini games from the campaign to Zombie mode, kind of like the MW2 coop games. Let players do sniping challenges or races with a friend, like MW2, and maybe even add leaderboards to these modes. 

The only downside to a game like this, is the zombie theme of the game not appealing to as many people. But if you keep the MP mode in it, they would still buy it. People don't buy CoD games any more for just the story, which you could rent and beat in a day. But the zombie campaign would allow more for some new life in the CoD campains, and give the zombie mode the attention it deserves, since its not 1/3 of a team working on a side mode. Its the campaign and zombie maps being created together with the main focus on both. That way, Wonder Weapons, Perks, and new things get the full work and attention they deserve.

Wow really? I thought the camp. was pretty good, you got to choose if Mason lived or died, you got to choose if america survived, there were surprising plot twist like salazar, you got to choose between sniping or repelling, the terrorist was actually very well developed and of course Crosby: Best non-important character EVER! And then there was the awkward ending with AX7… That was questionable and didn't make much sense. 

The best thing about it though was that that WAS the end, there's not going to be a huge branch off story again, or at least it's REALLY unlikely. Everything's all wrapped up. Don't get me wrong, the next game will undoubtedly involve a reznov easter egg some how. But mason, David, whats-his-face-that-was-obsessed-with-the-word-"CockSucker", likely aren't going to be back.