Orval Abbey - The Ancient Monastery

Naitrax

Orval Abbey - The Ancient Monastery

Wikipedia

Orval Abbey is a Cistercian monastery founded in 1132 in the Gaume region of Belgium and is located in Villers-devant-Orval, part of Florenville in the province of Luxembourg. The site has been occupied since the Merovingian period, and there is evidence that there was already a chapel here in the 10th century. In 1070, a group of Benedictine monks from Calabria settled here, at the invitation of Arnould, Count of Chiny, and began construction of a church and a monastery, but after some forty years, possibly because of the death of Count Arnould, they moved away again. They were replaced by a community of Canons Regular, who completed the construction work: the abbey church was consecrated on 30 September 1124.

In 1132, a group of Cistercian monks from Trois-Fontaines Abbey in Champagne arrived, and the two groups formed a single community within the Cistercian Order, under the first abbot, Constantin.

Around 1252, the monastery was destroyed by a fire; the rebuilding took around 100 years.

In the literary field the monks of Orval did not much distinguish themselves. The only noteworthy writer was Aegidius or Gilles d'Orval, who lived in the first half of the thirteenth century. He wrote the continuation, to the year 1251, of the "Gesta Pontificum Leodiensium", which had been written up to the year 1048 by Heriger of Lobbes and Anselm of Liège (Mon. Germ. Script., XXV, 1-129).

During the 15th and 16th centuries, the various wars between France and various neighbouring regions (Burgundy, Spain) had an important impact on Orval. At one stage a foundry was established on the site. In 1637, during the Thirty Years' War, the abbey was pillaged and burnt by French mercenaries.

In the 17th century, the abbey converted to the Trappist branch of the Cistercian order, but reverted back to the Rule of the main order in around 1785.

In 1793, during the French Revolution, the abbey was completely burnt down by French forces, in retaliation for the hospitality it had provided to Austrian troops, and the community dispersed.

Relationship to Zombies

What relationship does Orval Abbey have to Origins? Well, for starters it fits the location Treyarch have given us for the map (France). Origins takes place in a WW1 era French-Belgium battlefield? That seems right?

Next, here is an image I took from the poster:

This beam of light is emanating from something circle-shaped. I believe this to be the Mathilde Fountain, located within the centre of the monastery:

If, say this water was used in a ritual to summon something... paranormal (as Treyarch stated), it could possibly open a portal to another dimension.

History of the Mathilde Fountain - The Orval Legend

There is a legend of the abbey's foundation, purporting to explain the name '"Orval" and the coat of arms. According to this, the widowed Mathilda of Tuscany was visiting the site, when she lost her wedding ring in a spring, to her great distress. When she prayed for the return of the ring, a trout appeared on the surface of the water with the ring in its mouth. She exclaimed "Truly this place is a Val d'Or (Golden Valley)", from which the name "Orval" is derived, and in gratitude made available the funds for the foundation of the monastery here. The abbey arms show the trout and ring.

Thank you for reading this. Please leave your feedback with justified reasons (nothing leaked)!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm almost confident this is the location of our map. First the beam of light and there's a glimpse of one of the O4 in a church-looking building, very similar to this monastery.

And Belgium borders Northern France, supposed origins of Der Reise!

Boom. I win! Jks jks. Dark jolteon gave me the idea, i just explored it further.

"If, say this water was used in a ritual to summon something... paranormal (as Treyarch stated), it could possibly open a portal to another dimension."

Could this mean...interacting with the Mobsters? *gets pumped*

It very would could mean that. However, it is probably more likely that they will communite with some other fountaingoers (if you see what im getting at here)

I'm almost confident this is the location of our map. First the beam of light and there's a glimpse of one of the O4 in a church-looking building, very similar to this monastery.

And Belgium borders Northern France, supposed origins of Der Reise!

Boom. I win! Jks jks. Dark jolteon gave me the idea, i just explored it further.

"If, say this water was used in a ritual to summon something... paranormal (as Treyarch stated), it could possibly open a portal to another dimension."

Could this mean...interacting with the Mobsters? *gets pumped*

It very would could mean that. However, it is probably more likely that they will communite with some other fountaingoers (if you see what im getting at here)

:D I may or may not know what you're getting at :D