Letters from the Field - Photos & Videos from Pre-Origins

GRILL

Great points you two. Maybe everything that we have come to know has nothing to do with Samantha, or maybe Samantha is someone entirely different, or perhaps a project of some sort. The voice over in the trailer saying "I'm Samantha" doesn't sound even sound like a lady; much less a little girl. :?

The devil dog thing is interesting because there are the hell-hounds in zombies. This all dates back to the governments of Germany and America. Richtofen was in Five. I just don't see exactly why...... Yet.

I'm not sure if you got it but I friend requested you on PSN a while ago, I know you have Kino but that's fine, I'd rather play that than Tranzit.

Hey you,

I haven't been on my PS lately. Thank You for telling me this. I will get on there today and hopefully we can all play some Kino Der Toten. 8-) I don't have a Mic on PlayStation, but I can follow and determine what everyone likes to do and their play style.

No mic? Awe man, alright. I'll send you message when I'm on!

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we now have an even more consolidated date for Origins: April 14th, 1918-November 11th, 1918. Seeing as how there is dynamic snow falling on the map, I'd assume we are in early October/late September for this map. However, these letters aren't very good with keeping up continuity: Dempsey wrote in September 1917 he'd be at the test site in a few weeks, yet it is shown he is still traveling there in April 1918. Weird...

On a side-note, the cinematic shows Nikolai wielding an axe- could this be the same axe that would later behead his fifth wife? Perhaps he kept it after the map's events as a battle trophy. Just a thought...

So we now have an even more consolidated date for Origins: April 14th, 1918-November 11th, 1918. Seeing as how there is dynamic snow falling on the map, I'd assume we are in early October/late September for this map. However, these letters aren't very good with keeping up continuity: Dempsey wrote in September 1917 he'd be at the test site in a few weeks, yet it is shown he is still traveling there in April 1918. Weird...

On a side-note, the cinematic shows Nikolai wielding an axe- could this be the same axe that would later behead his fifth wife? Perhaps he kept it after the map's events as a battle trophy. Just a thought...

There's a war going on, you realize. Not exactly the easiest to cross No Man's Land. It's possible they've been waiting months just to be able to move. Nikolai technically isn't even involved in the battle, so he's probably waiting it out, while Dempsey and Takeo are actually out fighting in the war waiting for the right moment.

There's a war going on, you realize. Not exactly the easiest to cross No Man's Land. It's possible they've been waiting months just to be able to move. Nikolai technically isn't even involved in the battle, so he's probably waiting it out, while Dempsey and Takeo are actually out fighting in the war waiting for the right moment.

However Tank clearly states he will be at the test site in a few weeks after the 1917 letter. Even if there is a war going on, to predict you will be at the site in September when in reality you arrive months later is quite a time delay.

However Tank clearly states he will be at the test site in a few weeks after the 1917 letter. Even if there is a war going on, to predict you will be at the site in September when in reality you arrive months later is quite a time delay.

He could've arrived at the site- which is in fact a war zone. He may have been tasked with actually fighting in the war in order to get to the actual ruin. They do have a crap ton of trenches there, that's a sign of conflict going on, and it was rare that ground was actually taken by either side in this war because people would just be gunned down. It took months to win battles, allowing Germany to continue it's excavation.

• Administrators

He could've arrived at the site- which is in fact a war zone. He may have been tasked with actually fighting in the war in order to get to the actual ruin. They do have a crap ton of trenches there, that's a sign of conflict going on, and it was rare that ground was actually taken by either side in this war because people would just be gunned down. It took months to win battles, allowing Germany to continue it's excavation.

Treyarch has been releasing images of the characters fighting Zombies with captions from their letters about war. I believe that they may be writing letters while involved in the Zombie apocalypse.

Treyarch has been releasing images of the characters fighting Zombies with captions from their letters about war. I believe that they may be writing letters while involved in the Zombie apocalypse.

Yeah... no. So much more in the letters suggests this is before that. Tak's dreams for instance, and Nikolai talking more of his country in a civil war and women. Dempsey sounds like he just fought a battle against regular people. I think they'd probably mention fighting the undead if it was during the outbreak.

@ZotD, very true, didn't think about the trenches or the idea that a battle was literally taking place at the site. Good thoughts!

@Tac, I highly doubt that, considering Nikolai mentions the ongoing Civil war and French civilization still being in tact (being offered hospitality and intimacy from other women). If anything it's like ZotD said: Dempsey is actually fighting at the map in the trenches, Nikolai is en route to the site and Takeo has just received orders to undertake the mission.

Something I noticed in the intro:

Richtofen looks back and forth after his puzzled look. It seems he is taking in his surroundings. In fact, he notices the robot before the others do.

I don't know about you guys, but how many of you look STRAIGHT UP when trying to identify your surroundings?!

Just thought it was interesting.

Richtofen looks back and forth after his puzzled look. It seems he is taking in his surroundings. In fact, he notices the robot before the others do.

I don't know about you guys, but how many of you look STRAIGHT UP when trying to identify your surroundings?!

He was kinda looking towards all of the openings in the building. Guess he was checking for zombies, too. He probably knew about the hole in the ceiling, and looked up. Or at least that's how I took it.

He was kinda looking towards all of the openings in the building. Guess he was checking for zombies, too. He probably knew about the hole in the ceiling, and looked up. Or at least that's how I took it.

But consider his position and line-of-sight to that hole. He would have to be looking STRAIGHT up to see that robot, not just up at the hole but 90 degrees.

I'm just saying, it seems to be like he was checking the sky for something. Mystery Box? jk jk

• Administrators

@ZotD, very true, didn't think about the trenches or the idea that a battle was literally taking place at the site. Good thoughts!

@Tac, I highly doubt that, considering Nikolai mentions the ongoing Civil war and French civilization still being in tact (being offered hospitality and intimacy from other women). If anything it's like ZotD said: Dempsey is actually fighting at the map in the trenches, Nikolai is en route to the site and Takeo has just received orders to undertake the mission.

One thing I find peculiar is that Takeo's letters aren't making the most sense.

October 6th - 1917

The emperor grows concerned that the barbarians drive for mechanization may soon yield weapons more devastating than the world has ever known.

I am honored to act as his trusted agent and will insure that any such weapons are secured for the benefit of Japan...

March 2, 1918

My leadership & victory at the battle of M----- (Muken/Mukden) has been brought to the attention of the Emperor himself. I have been instructed to meet with him on a matter of great importance to our Nation.

Perhaps the Emperor recognizes the continued importance of the Samurai traditions, even in these times of great change...

Though I cannot explain why, every step I take towards my target brings with it a growing sense of dread.

I am haunted by twisted dreams that seem to grow increasingly vivid with each passing night. Perhaps the spirits of my ancestors seek to warn me of a dark, uncertain future...

Takeo

In October of 1917, Takeo says he's been made the trusted agent of the Emperor and is aware of being sent to retrieve the Nazi machinery. Then in March of 1918, he says the Emperor has noticed him and must meet about an unknown event of great importance. I don't foresee this important event being anything other than the Nazi's machinery, which he already knows about, however.

But consider his position and line-of-sight to that hole. He would have to be looking STRAIGHT up to see that robot, not just up at the hole but 90 degrees.

I'm just saying, it seems to be like he was checking the sky for something. Mystery Box? jk jk

Idk, like I said, maybe he thought zombies would pop out, or maybe he just noticed the light coming in the building from above(not from the robot). It probably isn't too relevant, but something probably just made him look up, like maybe a slight shake from the robot.

In October of 1917, Takeo says he's been made the trusted agent of the Emperor and is aware of being sent to retrieve the Nazi machinery. Then in March of 1918, he says the Emperor has noticed him and must meet about an unknown event of great importance. I don't foresee this important event being anything other than the Nazi's machinery, which he already knows about, however.

Yeah, his is the most confusing. It's possibly just an inconsistency, because in the second half of the second letter he mentions getting closer to a target. Bad Engrish is probably the issue.

@Tac: Maybe Takeo was under the impression he was to meet with the Emperor about a different subject of interest? Perhaps the original plan to send him in in October was canceled until Japan could take a more subtle approach (keep in mind the archaeological dig site was also a battlefield of the war, at least according to Samantha).

@MMX: The letters are all written in the exact same letter as the suspected counterparts. It's possible, but I doubt Treyarch would give us letters of random soldiers to hype us up for our returning four. However I agree that something is going on with Richtofen- as usual he is keeping something from the others...

No, I think it is heavily linked with the puzzled look on his face. You can't ignore that. I'm just saying it carries further than simply saying "He looks puzzled".

Eh, I honestly don't know. Seeing as how it's incredibly unlikely he saw much of the robot, it's hard to say. It's an interesting little tibit, but there's not much to say other than he's puzzled for some odd reason, whether it be from zombies, noticing a robot, or just all around wondering what is going on. I have a theory that he's just not himself when operating and dissecting, and thus when he realized what he was doing, he was confused about what was happening.

• Administrators

No, I think it is heavily linked with the puzzled look on his face. You can't ignore that. I'm just saying it carries further than simply saying "He looks puzzled".

He looks straight, then left, then right, so I think he natural next look would be upwards to analyze the situation. Although he does seem to come out of a different state, so to speak, as if he goes in and out of modes.

He looks straight, then left, then right, so I think he natural next look would be upwards to analyze the situation. Although he does seem to come out of a different state, so to speak, as if he goes in and out of modes.

Exactly. It's natural.

It is completely unnatural for people to look up. It's not in our nature to need to look up. Mankind grew up on a plane. The most verticality they had was looking down. Just think of the hundreds of people who played Nuketown dozens of times and never once thought to look up to see the mushroom cloud! I bet you can't find a single video on youtube of someone just looking at the cloud. I couldn't. People don't look up unless they have to. Richtofen didn't have to.

Anyways, it's a stupid debate. I was just pointing out an additional add-on to an existing perplexing conundrum. It was not a subject up for debate. I told you the truth. I'm not arguing this anymore.

EDIT: Made it less harsh

I'm getting excited because the second Richtofen letter should be soon. Everyone but himself has two letters, and I can't wait to see what it'll say.

DEEEEEEAAR DIARY! :twisted:

One idea was that future Richtofen enters the body of his younger self in order to change the past somehow let's work off of that assumption for a sec. Since essentially he injects himself into one of his past memories he briefly takes in exactly WHEN he is (when he looks left / right) but suddenly remembers that the robot is about to crush them, and looks up.

The truth? To what? Richtofen looking up after looking at every other way before te other three do? You saw something differently than most of us did, and you're that arrogant enough not to accept that we saw it differently? I read your initial post before editing it and you seem extremely arrogant about it. People disagree, no need to insult.

Your perception is skewed. You might want to look into that. You seem to be reversing the truth of the matter when it comes to behavior.

I'm getting excited because the second Richtofen letter should be soon. Everyone but himself has two letters, and I can't wait to see what it'll say.

DEEEEEEAAR DIARY! :twisted:

One idea was that future Richtofen enters the body of his younger self in order to change the past somehow let's work off of that assumption for a sec. Since essentially he injects himself into one of his past memories he briefly takes in exactly WHEN he is (when he looks left / right) but suddenly remembers that the robot is about to crush them, and looks up.

While that is a possibility, another I would entertain is that he is just now going mad.

It is completely unnatural for people to look up. It's not in our nature to need to look up. Mankind grew up on a plane. The most verticality they had was looking down. Just think of the hundreds of people who played Nuketown dozens of times and never once thought to look up to see the mushroom cloud! I bet you can't find a single video on youtube of someone just looking at the cloud. I couldn't. People don't look up unless they have to. Richtofen didn't have to.

Anyways, it's a stupid debate. I was just pointing out an additional add-on to an existing perplexing conundrum. It was not a subject up for debate. I told you the truth. I'm not arguing this anymore.

EDIT: Made it less harsh

The truth? To what? Richtofen looking up after looking at every other way before te other three do? You saw something differently than most of us did, and you're that arrogant enough not to accept that we saw it differently? I read your initial post before editing it and you seem extremely arrogant about it. People disagree, no need to insult.

He amended to it, so I don't see why there's an issue.

Move along people, be nice, and stay on topic. That goes for everyone.

Damn I feel like a moderator lately.

It is commonly believed that all humans have so e degree if alleged psychic energy, which accounts for déjà-vu, premonitions, etc. richtofen could have simply gotten an urge to look up because of a psychic premonition. Alternatively he could have felt vibrations and subconsciously understood what it meant, looking up reflexively.

I don't believe either of these ideas. My point is simply that there is more than one possible reason why he would look up, and it can't be certain until the map is here. There's no point in arguing over who's idea is more supported by gameplay, as none are at this point, and that is the ultimate determining factor of what is and it's true.

Edit: I'm not saying we should drop everything and stop theorizing for the next week, but bear in mind that gameplay is the subject of the CoDz Supremacy clause.

perhaps this is the map we can break the cycle? the very beginning, is the very end?

What if after all the story up to buried came to play, edward transported himself back in time to his old self, thus creating the time rift, making a cycle that goes to buried, always ends with having to start from the beginning. perhaps the easter egg will take part in breaking the cycle, and the 04 have a showdown Arlington style.

Take out Edward, final wave of zombies, the cycle is broken. The outbreak is contained and neutralized.

Edward takes out the 03, he captures them, resuscitate them with 115, the cycle continues....