Letters from the Field - Photos & Videos from Pre-Origins

GRILL

Think we'll get a new image of some sort today? 3 weeks until the alleged possible release date, so if patterns follow we'd get some sort of official word next week some time? after the letters, the other two images we had seen at least partially via treyarchs twitter pics. I hope we get something! :mrgreen:

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A great explanation for that, Shooter, would be that any newly discovered element is given the name Divinium as a temporary identifier until a more suitable name is formed that accurately describes its properties or is named after the scientist responsible for discovery/testing.

That's definitely possible. The problem we face right now is the term Divinium is not real. It's obviously been made up by the developers. But in the world of Zombies, perhaps Divinium is a a name given to newly discovered elements that do not yet have a real name.

We use names like "ununbium" for element 112 for example as a filler. Like eternal said, they would use a more accurate name once they had discovered all of its properties. While we don't know the properties, we just give it a name to fill its space on the table. Just look at the word ununbium (element 112.) it's name is UN-UN-BI-um. almost all elements end in "um" but the first three syllables literally mean "one one two." Likewise UN-UN-PENT-ium (Uup, element 115) literally just means "one one five."

That's what I don't get. If Maxis refers to it as Divinium (a new element with no name) in 1917, why would he rename it Ununpentium in the 1940's? Both terms aren't that different, both are used as a filler for a name.

Or what you're saying is when Maxis first discovered 115 , he labeled it Divinium, then changed it to Ununpentium in the later years to give it a bit more of a descriptive name? I suppose that might make sense.

Where's a Chem major when you need em?!

That's definitely possible. The problem we face right now is the term Divinium is not real. It's obviously been made up by the developers. But in the world of Zombies, perhaps Divinium is a a name given to newly discovered elements that do not yet have a real name.

I think we can rule out "Divinium" all together. After all, it would be "Di" instead of "Dv" - wouldn't it? Regardless, I'm not trying to say that "Divinium" wouldn't be a badass name lol. Some kid on the 3arc FaceBook was like "it stands for David Vondehaar", I know that "JZ" has been added into weapon names so who knows?

If Maxis refers to it as Divinium (a new element with no name) in 1917, why would he rename it Ununpentium in the 1940's? Both terms aren't that different, both are used as a filler for a name.

Or what you're saying is when Maxis first discovered 115 , he labeled it Divinium, then changed it to Ununpentium in the later years to give it a bit more of a descriptive name? I suppose that might make sense.

Where's a Chem major when you need em?!

I know right?

See I always thought "Ununpentium" was kind of like "Unobtanium" from Avatar. Just a generic name given. After seeing what Electric Jesus posted above, guess I was super wrong.

Regardless, Maxis worked for Mauser - and in two years (1915-1917) he made the jump from working with guns to working with "Dv" i.e. 115.

Think we'll get a new image of some sort today? 3 weeks until the alleged possible release date, so if patterns follow we'd get some sort of official word next week some time? after the letters, the other two images we had seen at least partially via treyarchs twitter pics. I hope we get something! :mrgreen:

I really hope we do. 3arc has been posting the first pic between 10am & 11am MST. I'm currently refreshing the page every few minutes. It will be posted here, of course, if we do get anything new :D

After all, it would be "Di" instead of "Dv" - wouldn't it?

Nope. Zinc (for example) is Zn. Some elements have letters in their symbol / abbreviated name that aren't in their full name at all. For example the symbol for gold is Au.

touche, good sir.

Am I the only one who has been puzzling with what connections we have with Thule and Vril society on the next map after all it was founded in 1917. I think Spear of Destiny might have part with next map.

I'm really hoping for some mystical stuff to go on in this next map. The mere fact that Maxis mentioned Agartha in Buried makes me really excited...

Am I the only one who has been puzzling with what connections we have with Thule and Vril society on the next map after all it was founded in 1917. I think Spear of Destiny might have part with next map.

I'm really hoping for some mystical stuff to go on in this next map. The mere fact that Maxis mentioned Agartha in Buried makes me really excited...

Me too. I doubt we'll be going to Argatha itself (underground city? We literally just had that) but hopefully this map can explain more about the Vril-Ya and its connection to zombies - flying pyramids and all. Everything we have on them so far is little more than guesswork. Of course, they'll be sure to present more questions than they answer with this map, but one or two answers would be nice ;)

vine.co/v/hbF5W35QvBx

Interesting..

Let the analyzation begin!

I'll wait for someone else to post the frame by frame. My computer's not much good for this stuff.

What I can say is that some stuff in there looked very recognizable. That moon was definitely the one from Nacht, there was the stone circle thing from Shangri-La (or on the pyramid in Moon) and I feel like the number 2 on the wall was from the labs in "Five"...

I'm feelin' some classics here ;)

What I can say is that some stuff in there looked very recognizable. That moon was definitely the one from Nacht, there was the stone circle thing from Shangri-La (or on the pyramid in Moon) and I feel like the number 2 on the wall was from the labs in "Five"...

I'm feelin' some classics here ;)

Just checked, the -2 is from Ascension. The circle thing is from Shangri-La and yes fullmoon from Nacht.

here is a periodic table of the elements circa 1917 for real

Can anyone explain to me what the series on the left of the table mean? I cant find anything on how these older periodic tables were laid out or why?

here's an exerpt from the wikipedia entry for groups (columns) and periods (rows) in the periodic arrangement of the elements. basically its just different ways of grouping elements that exhibit similar properties

Groups

Main article: Group (periodic table)

A group or family is a vertical column in the periodic table. Groups usually have more significant periodic trends than periods and blocks, explained below. Modern quantum mechanical theories of atomic structure explain group trends by proposing that elements within the same group generally have the same electron configurations in their valence shell.[7] Consequently, elements in the same group tend to have a shared chemistry and exhibit a clear trend in properties with increasing atomic number.[8] However in some parts of the periodic table, such as the d-block and the f-block, horizontal similarities can be as important as, or more pronounced than, vertical similarities.[9][10][11]

Under an international naming convention, the groups are numbered numerically from 1 to 18 from the leftmost column (the alkali metals) to the rightmost column (the noble gases).[12] Previously, they were known by roman numerals. In America, the roman numerals were followed by either an "A" if the group was in the s- or p-block, or a "B" if the group was in the d-block. The roman numerals used correspond to the last digit of today's naming convention (e.g. the group 4 elements were group IVB, and the group 14 elements was group IVA). In Europe, the lettering was similar, except that "A" was used if the group was before group 10, and "B" was used for groups including and after group 10. In addition, groups 8, 9 and 10 used to be treated as one triple-sized group, known collectively in both notations as group VIII. In 1988, the new IUPAC naming system was put into use, and the old group names were deprecated.[13]

Some of these groups have been given trivial (unsystematic) names, as seen in the table to the right, although some are rarely used. Groups 3–10 have no trivial names and are referred to simply by their group numbers or by the name of the first member of their group (such as 'the scandium group' for Group 3), since they display fewer similarities and/or vertical trends.[12]

Elements in the same group tend to show patterns in atomic radius, ionization energy, and electronegativity. From top to bottom in a group, the atomic radii of the elements increase. Since there are more filled energy levels, valence electrons are found farther from the nucleus. From the top, each successive element has a lower ionization energy because it is easier to remove an electron since the atoms are less tightly bound. Similarly, a group has a top to bottom decrease in electronegativity due to an increasing distance between valence electrons and the nucleus.[14] There are exceptions to these trends, however, an example of which occurs in group 11 where electronegativity increases farther down the group.[15]

[show]

v

t

e

Groups in the periodic table

Periods

Main article: Period (periodic table)

A period is a horizontal row in the periodic table. Although groups generally have more significant periodic trends, there are regions where horizontal trends are more significant than vertical group trends, such as the f-block, where the lanthanides and actinides form two substantial horizontal series of elements.[16]

Elements in the same period show trends in atomic radius, ionization energy, electron affinity, and electronegativity. Moving left to right across a period, atomic radius usually decreases. This occurs because each successive element has an added proton and electron which causes the electron to be drawn closer to the nucleus.[17] This decrease in atomic radius also causes the ionization energy to increase when moving from left to right across a period. The more tightly bound an element is, the more energy is required to remove an electron. Electronegativity increases in the same manner as ionization energy because of the pull exerted on the electrons by the nucleus.[14] Electron affinity also shows a slight trend across a period. Metals (left side of a period) generally have a lower electron affinity than nonmetals (right side of a period), with the exception of the noble gases.[18]

Interesting... does this mean we're getting Ascension and Shangri-La back? If so, it means they're revamping the worst BO Zombie maps.

Seems legit.

That is one opinion :) , I would love to see ascension back, and SRL. Any of the old maps would be fine with me, I loved them all. I have my favorites, but they were all different than the next, it gets hard to do that after a while.

here is a periodic table of the elements circa 1917 for real

Can anyone explain to me what the series on the left of the table mean? I cant find anything on how these older periodic tables were laid out or why?

here's an exerpt from the wikipedia entry for groups (columns) and periods (rows) in the periodic arrangement of the elements. basically its just different ways of grouping elements that exhibit similar properties

Groups

Main article: Group (periodic table)

A group or family is a vertical column in the periodic table. Groups usually have more significant periodic trends than periods and blocks, explained below. Modern quantum mechanical theories of atomic structure explain group trends by proposing that elements within the same group generally have the same electron configurations in their valence shell.[7] Consequently, elements in the same group tend to have a shared chemistry and exhibit a clear trend in properties with increasing atomic number.[8] However in some parts of the periodic table, such as the d-block and the f-block, horizontal similarities can be as important as, or more pronounced than, vertical similarities.[9][10][11]

Under an international naming convention, the groups are numbered numerically from 1 to 18 from the leftmost column (the alkali metals) to the rightmost column (the noble gases).[12] Previously, they were known by roman numerals. In America, the roman numerals were followed by either an "A" if the group was in the s- or p-block, or a "B" if the group was in the d-block. The roman numerals used correspond to the last digit of today's naming convention (e.g. the group 4 elements were group IVB, and the group 14 elements was group IVA). In Europe, the lettering was similar, except that "A" was used if the group was before group 10, and "B" was used for groups including and after group 10. In addition, groups 8, 9 and 10 used to be treated as one triple-sized group, known collectively in both notations as group VIII. In 1988, the new IUPAC naming system was put into use, and the old group names were deprecated.[13]

Some of these groups have been given trivial (unsystematic) names, as seen in the table to the right, although some are rarely used. Groups 3–10 have no trivial names and are referred to simply by their group numbers or by the name of the first member of their group (such as 'the scandium group' for Group 3), since they display fewer similarities and/or vertical trends.[12]

Elements in the same group tend to show patterns in atomic radius, ionization energy, and electronegativity. From top to bottom in a group, the atomic radii of the elements increase. Since there are more filled energy levels, valence electrons are found farther from the nucleus. From the top, each successive element has a lower ionization energy because it is easier to remove an electron since the atoms are less tightly bound. Similarly, a group has a top to bottom decrease in electronegativity due to an increasing distance between valence electrons and the nucleus.[14] There are exceptions to these trends, however, an example of which occurs in group 11 where electronegativity increases farther down the group.[15]

[show]

v

t

e

Groups in the periodic table

Periods

Main article: Period (periodic table)

A period is a horizontal row in the periodic table. Although groups generally have more significant periodic trends, there are regions where horizontal trends are more significant than vertical group trends, such as the f-block, where the lanthanides and actinides form two substantial horizontal series of elements.[16]

Elements in the same period show trends in atomic radius, ionization energy, electron affinity, and electronegativity. Moving left to right across a period, atomic radius usually decreases. This occurs because each successive element has an added proton and electron which causes the electron to be drawn closer to the nucleus.[17] This decrease in atomic radius also causes the ionization energy to increase when moving from left to right across a period. The more tightly bound an element is, the more energy is required to remove an electron. Electronegativity increases in the same manner as ionization energy because of the pull exerted on the electrons by the nucleus.[14] Electron affinity also shows a slight trend across a period. Metals (left side of a period) generally have a lower electron affinity than nonmetals (right side of a period), with the exception of the noble gases.[18]

So the series on the left a Valence shells? Just read a bit about these and came to the conclusion the PHD flopper is based on the idea of these Valence shells?

Interesting... does this mean we're getting Ascension and Shangri-La back? If so, it means they're revamping the worst BO zombies map along with the best one.

Seems legit.

Hey, hate to be that guy, but you didn't finish your sentence entirely right in that post. Don't worry, I fixed it in the quote, correction is in bold.

You're welcome :D

Something that really struck me with this last tweet that hasn't sunk in until now.

I believe this will be a prequel map with a lot of information in it. Hopefully a cut scene as well, as it seems that is the norm nowadays. But that's not what interests me.

Every story has a beginning. We keep hearing that. But now they're saying "...and an end."

Could this be the end of zombies? Could this be where it all falls apart for whoever is in control?

A few months back, I suggested that we were in a cycle in zombies and that in order to break the cycle, like they did in Mob of the Dead, we had to go back to the beginning and change it so that it doesn't happen. What if that is exactly what we're doing? What if we change it so that Maxis' robots do work. If they did, he'd have no care for zombies. Zombies would never come up. And with that, an entire timeline would be changed.

While this map is a prequel, could this map also be the end of zombies?