Letters from the Field - Photos & Videos from Pre-Origins

GRILL

...But as we all know, this story has evolved over time. Perhaps we should discount everything from WaW since Treyarch made the Reboot maps after the story and popularity really took off. If so, I think the story of origin for our characters should also be thrown out.

Nah, WaW is the actual story, the BO1 maps are not "reboots" they are just replays. They are for nostalgia and gameplay only

Remember that whole thing about hundreds of alternate timelines? Yeah. I think the BO remastered collection was just that.

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...But as we all know, this story has evolved over time. Perhaps we should discount everything from WaW since Treyarch made the Reboot maps after the story and popularity really took off. If so, I think the story of origin for our characters should also be thrown out.

Nah, WaW is the actual story, the BO1 maps are not "reboots" they are just replays. They are for nostalgia and gameplay only

Remember that whole thing about hundreds of alternate timelines? Yeah. I think the BO remastered collection was just that.

"God, we can't even re-release classic maps without you people thinking it's some alternate timeline or some s***." -Treyarch, reading this thread

Just wanted to point something out:

every single one of the letters has ended in an ellipses "..." which leads me to believe we'll be getting another letter from each author - hopefully AFTER they are in the field.

Edit:

"God, we can't even re-release classic maps without you people thinking it's some alternate timeline or some s***." -Treyarch, reading this thread

:lol:

Nice, Grill. That makes sense and also kinda confirms my theory. Suppose WaW was 'normal' or the original timeline. Once our O4 were taken captive by 935 and Richtofen hatched out his brilliant master plan, perhaps that's when we see the new timeline as the WaW maps in BO:1. Richtofen went back in time with them all...

http://oldmagazinearticles.com/Evolution_of_the_First_Tanks_pdf

"The first armored battle cars, or "tanks" were a British invention developed from an American automobile tractor used for agricultural purposes on the Western prairies. They made their initial appearance at the battle of the Somme (Flers), September 15, 1916."

However, it should be known that they were first used to greatest effect in the Battle of Cambrai (November 20 through December 7, 1917).

awesome connection PINNAZ. The battle of Cambrai literally lines up PERFECTLY with this most recent letter (as in, the assault was the day after it was penned!)

One question though, are you saying that the "tanks" are supposed to be the "giant metal men" the British author is talking about? I find it hard to believe that a giant metal car would be referred to as a "metal man" (but of course, you might not even be making that argument at all).

This is where my head is at:

"strange lights in the sky" - Die Glocke, or possibly Vril spaceship technology

"a mysterious plague" - 115's effects on Man after the Tunguska event

"giant metal men" - I have no f*#^in' clue. Perhaps Vril ya in a space suit?*

*edit: MMX has informed me that the Vril ya had robots to do their work for them.

These letters are most definitely the luring of the O3 to group 935 to inject them with 115,'the doctor' referenced in the letter, "The Doctor remains both adament and optomistic that the potential applications for the new found element are worth the associated risks." 'The Doctor' refers to Richtofen, the 'potential applications' are the O3 and the 'New found element' is Element 115.

So if we put this info together its saying that Richtofen is certain that the O3 being injected with 115 will work, even with the risks. The risks being death and/or memory loss. This mean the next map will take place before the O3's memory loss and will explain a lot.

"The emperor grows concerned that the barbarians drive for mechanization may soon yield weapons more devastating than the world has ever known.

I am honored to act as his trusted agent and will insure that any such weapons are secured for the benefit of Japan..."

The Barbarians being the Germans and Group 935, it makes sense. The drive for mechanization is referring to them making the weapons associated with element 115.

"It seems beyond doubt that Fritz is up to no good. Air reconnaissance suggests prototype armored weaponry is being tested in Northern France. Scuttlebutt reads like the ramblings of a mad man, strange lights in the sky... a mysterious plague... even giant metal men.

I'll be at the site within the week to the learn the truth with my own eyes..."

This is most likely Tank, talking about the Germans making 115 weaponry, the strange lights are the communication between group 935 and the Vril, the mysterious plague is the first outbreak of zombies and the.. giant.. metal.. men.., This last part is what got me, at first I thought it was a mis-communication error, since back then all they had were letters people talking about 'The Giant'/'Der Riese' could have been gossiped all the way until its been turned into 'Giant metal men.' instead of a 'Metal Base called The Giant.', but now I still have no idea. Robots in the next map?

"It appears my current exile from the motherland may prose tortuous . I have received orders to undertake a vital mission in Northern France.

Reports from the area suggest the Kaiser's war machine may be gearing up to unleash something unlike anything we have seen before..."

It seems people had trouble translating the 'Prose Tortuous' bit of this and its quite funny since it is the most interesting bit of the letter, (To me it is.). I looked up 'Prose' and still not knowing what it means other than somewhat of a poem, it also said it was used in Russian Literature and tortuous meaning 'full of twists and turns' or 'Excessively lengthy and complex' which both make sense, this is most likely saying him leaving Russia and heading to france will be very Surprising/Hard. Also the Kaiser's war machine, meaning the German Emperor's war machine.. Another reference to Mech and/or robots. This next map is going to interesting.

So we're playing BEFORE the O3 were injected with 115 and before they're memory loss? This is exciting.

That's a horrible idea... If this wasn't the last dlc, yes I would be VERY excited to play that... But this IS the final dlc, meaning all that we did before with the tranzit crew would be, infact, pointless... There can be no more zombies in cod. ??? due to the fact there is no common ending, and the Easter eggs end compleatly different...

In short, we need a common ending to end this round of zombies on... A prequel will NOT solve that...

Im guessing takeo is bringing the O3 back to france to help them remember a time before they were injected... Maybe Nikolai or Tank hold mysterious secrets.... Maybe samantha will come into play... Idk... My best guess is we will enter the map and through the Easter egg Nikolai and Tank will reconstruct their pasts and things.... Takeo has already reclaimed his memory, and RichtoSam never forgot... Purhaps maxis and richtofen can have some sense slapped into them too... (but not too much sense into richtofen) :lol:

So: Recap

The map will be held after the events of "buried", there will be a common ending, it will involve the O4 and chances are its in this France area... Maybe not Paris, but France...

This is what I assume the 4th letter says.

Bold is the --- ----- from the first post.

Letters from the Field - Letter 4 wrote:

December 10th - 1917

It appears my current exile from the motherland may most fortuitous. I have received orders to undertake a vital mission in Northern France.

Reports from the area suggest the Kaiser's war machine may be gearing up to unleash something unlike anything we have seen before...

A few thoughts:

1. Whomever wrote the first letter will be revealed as the blacked out portraits in Kino and Five. My bet is Maxis, but Peter would be a possibility too. (I think we will get a few "classic" Blops maps that will show these portraits)

2. I think the O4 are originally from the early 1900's and Time traveled to the W@W era where they had their memories wiped and made to believe they were of that time.

3. The group mentioned could pre-date 935 (illuminati, Vhryl society, Mason's etc..)

4. Scuttlebutt is Military Jargon and yes I could see Dempsey saying it was very common slang for AMERICAN and British troops in the 1st World War as was Fritz.

5. I think the end of this map will lead to the reintroduction of the "Classic's". (I.E; The ending of this map's egg will teleport us to Veruckt/Nacht and the time loop will begin)

6. Maxis and Richtofen were at one time close friends, Samantha calls him "Uncle Eddy", I've never had a colleague's child call me Uncle, But my Kids call my oldest closest Friend "Uncle". There had to be some relationship there beyond them being colleagues.

7. The Barbarian's refers to the Germans. The Germanic tribes were the "Barbarians" throughout the classical(Roman)era and beyond until Christianity got a foothold in the region.

8. The 04 were always Patriots of their respective Countries. This is so ingrained with them that it is the only carry over into their new lives/Personalities.

9. I really dislike whomever at 3ARC got in bed with PTG. It really has put me off on the whole aspect of any future zombies titles. I'd rather support a Dev that doesn't support lying, bullying, stealing, leaking and everything else that they get away with...

Prove fortuitous is just a fancy way of saying, "It's going to be good."

It's usually used when initially the cause was expected to have negative effects, i.e.

Before anyone ever knew what the 1911 turned into after PaP, they wouldn't have wanted to keep such a gun, but after discovering the existence of Mustang & Sally: Holding onto the 1911 may prove fortuitous.

PROVE FORTUITOUS

not

prose tortuous

Context, gentlemen, context.

....Or Prove Torturous.

I definitely see an 'I' in the word following 'prove'...It's out of place, but I doubt Nikolai would ever win any spelling bees. The context can't be ignored. He has just received orders for a vital mission in Northern France, thus because he's received the orders and feels important now, he's saying that his exile from Russia (the Motherland) is actually a good thing, so prove fortuitous fits.

Furthermore, if you look at the 'F' in the last word 'from' on the first line, it matches the 'F' in 'foruitous' and the 'V' in 'prove' matches the 'V' in the word 'have' on the last line.

I was in agreement with you before the edit, now you're just rubbing it in my face

Lol! I did that edit before I saw your agreement post.

1. Whomever wrote the first letter will be revealed as the blacked out portraits in Kino and Five. My bet is Maxis, but Peter would be a possibility too. (I think we will get a few "classic" Blops maps that will show these portraits)

Peter is what my money's on. It's either that or Richtofen is referring to himself in the third person, but I'm actually leaning towards Peter because wasn't he supposed to be a playable character?

2. I think the O4 are originally from the early 1900's and Time traveled to the W@W era where they had their memories wiped and made to believe they were of that time.

5. I think the end of this map will lead to the reintroduction of the "Classic's". (I.E; The ending of this map's egg will teleport us to Veruckt/Nacht and the time loop will begin)

Absolutely. I believe our next map will occur in between Moon and the Classic WaW reboots, because the appearance of Mule Kick in those reboots and the O4 being playable hints to a different time. They, more than likely, time-traveled back to the Classic maps so they could arrive at Der Riese, then Kino and follow the progression from there to perpetuate the loop.

3. The group mentioned could pre-date 935 (illuminati, Vhryl society, Mason's etc..)

That's quite a revelation. I did not even think of that, but that implies that Richtofen may have been aligned with more powerful people and 935 was just the secret name for his group that was to be a smoke screen for the true group and motivations that drove him. Could he be Illuminati himself?

That's quite a revelation. I did not even think of that, but that implies that Richtofen may have been aligned with more powerful people and 935 was just the secret name for his group that was to be a smoke screen for the true group and motivations that drove him. Could he be Illuminati himself?

Well we know that at the very least he serves them.

The quote was from the W@W version of Der Reise, but I think it goes like this:

"Ah' a gift from the illuminati masters"

Also there's this:

"Who is doing all of the hammering, is it the Masons?" (When getting carpenter)

Furthermore the notes directing Rich to kill Maxis are written in "Illuminate" glyphs

i disagree with that, just doesn't make any sense. especially since it originated as a prestige edition bonus content, there's just nothing extra to it. Any reappearance of a map has to be taken exactly for what it is, and that is just a rerelease. Its like a greatest hits album for a band. we don't count a greatest hits album as a collection of brand new songs and meanings....

i disagree with that, just doesn't make any sense. especially since it originated as a prestige edition bonus content, there's just nothing extra to it. Any reappearance of a map has to be taken exactly for what it is, and that is just a rerelease. Its like a greatest hits album for a band. we don't count a greatest hits album as a collection of brand new songs and meanings....

Agreed. We can't confuse Treyarch's marketing of different game editions to hold meaning to the story. The game is first and foremost a business venture after all.

I think there's definitely something to it related to story.

I think after the events of Moon, the O4 went back in time to re-do the BO:1 maps to arrive at Moon and on and on...This creates the time-loop.

Our next DLC will probably have a map or maps that illustrate how our O4 were introduced to begin with. Since in WaW, they first appeared in Shi No Numa (A Japanese swamp) and these letters are illustrating operations in France/Tunguska, perhaps we'll see the transitional map(s) that lead to SNN without teleportation of time-travel. Maybe the rumored France map is where initial 115 experiments were taking place before Der Riese was built and sanctioned for 935.

Remember the NDU loading screen made reference to time-travel. We see years from left to right going backwards from the 60's (Moon time) to the 40's (Classic map time). We see the same in Kino, but going forward at the last comic frame.

So, if normally the O4 were at Tunguska and the map(s) for the next DLC, then wound up at SNN and progressed until Der Riese lead them to Kino and so on, this new alternate timeline must have been created after Moon. The O4 went back to NDU from Moon and are now stuck in that loop.

I think our next DLC will give us the proper beginning to the story of our O4 and simultaneously explain how it ends.

Before I get into an argument on why moon is NOT in the 60s....

Why would they be sent back to old maps? What would that accomplish? Also wouldn't samanthia go back with them? If you're referring to the BO1 remake maps I'm fairly certain those were only anticipated for gameplay and had no connection to the story...

I also doubt the O4 would be re-living the BO1 maps as well... I'm guessing you say that because you want the, to bring back some Bo1 maps in dlc 4.... But it's simply NOT profitable to do all that work... Also: There would be no Easter eggs due to the fact the engine can NOT Handel a thundergun, jgb-babymaker, gersh device or Vr-11+scavenger shot...

Returning to older maps is not the answer...