Letters from the Field - Photos & Videos from Pre-Origins

GRILL

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure most have seen the old 8 player lag switched modes.. Not really any noticeable lag, actually the console handled it well IMHO.. How about an 8 player map, O4 and N4.. Now that would be epic.

8 players was so fun, and I had no issues playing them, I would seriously love to play maps with 8 players without having duplicates running around.

I'm sure most have seen the old 8 player lag switched modes.. Not really any noticeable lag, actually the console handled it well IMHO.. How about an 8 player map, O4 and N4.. Now that would be epic.

Ooh imagine the conversations between the N4 and O4

Tank: So you're the new us, right?

I'm really getting kinda tired of the whole "time travel" explanation for everything. Its the black ops 2 version of vril. I think xyz because vril : I think xyz because time travel

its a little tired in my opinion.need more background and story and reasoning and less ambiguity and silly excuses to explain why

I'm not sure if any of these letters are by our characters.

I don't think the first letter is talking about Richtofen.

We know the situation of how Richtofen goes mad. It's described clearly in the Moon radios.

I also don't believe Takeo was ever named as a member of the Imperial Army.

And birdman I understand what you're saying. But unlike "the Vril-ya", time travel is normally a pretty valid explanation in this game.

After reading a three-page discussion after getting home from camp counseling, it's time I throw in my own two cents.

1. I absolutely, 100% DO NOT want a prequel. It was like with Die Rise- they were really developing the whole "Maxis vs. Richtofen" story arch, then one month later Treyarch says "hey everyone, we're going to completely halt progression with the main story and focus on a totally irrelevant and meaningless story about four mobsters in Alcatraz, which will in no way ever be referenced in continuity again!" (I know everyone loved that map but I've always been annoyed about how meaningless it was to the overarching plot). But back on topic, I think a prequel is just too much of a cliffhanger at this point.

2. These letters are likely each written in the perspective of our O4 to hype us up for a possible grand return to Zombies (however I am beginning to wonder now if the first was written by Maxis...).

3. The dates shown on these entries suggest Group 935 being in operation long before 1939. Since the Tunguska Event occurred just nine years prior to these excavations for 115, perhaps its properties have only recently been discovered? Also, if Richtofen truly is "the Doctor", who was apparently the one who discovered 115's original properties, perhaps this could explain his hatred for Maxis- despite discovering the element to begin with, Maxis is still given the leadership of 935, fermenting Richtofen's original dissatisfaction with his boss.

Just thoughts...

The element seems dangerous but my freind is changing...

Are we talking about richtofen changing....

Or maxis...

:shock:

That would be a cool plot twist: While maxis was replicating HIS MTD, he sneaks in... Uses Richtofen's... Gets zapped by the MPD... And gets his mind erased.... wakes up in his lab unaware he is now THEIR trick-pawn....

If it's a prequel that progresses the story, I'll be fine with that. But honestly, do people really believe that the dates on the letters are really the date for the next map? Are you really that gullible?

I'm with you, I don't want a prequel map that they made for shits and giggles. I'd want story info and there better be a looooooot of it. Earlier I was all for a prequel map, but now I'm not so up for one. I'd rather we kept moving forward. Especially since this map pack might have only one zombie map. Maybe if they did multiple zombie maps in the pack and had one prequel and one finale, then maybe.

That's a really good idea, two maps... LARGE maps...

One progressing the storyline and one that takes place before any of it... Both staring the O4...

The first zombie's outbreak was in verrućt if I remember correctly and nact was a minor outbreak...

So tbh no I don't beleive this map, which has dates likely from the maxis diary, to be true... I don't beleive this next map will be a prequel either.... ( knowing what I wish I didn't know) it doesn't make sense to have a big prequel for a grand finally... To start the next GAME with a prequel would be Ok... But to do it now would be a massive Middle finger to our wonder of what will happen...

It would be interesting if the note was written by Takeo, considering he was an agent and was able to take Nikolai way back before they were Richtofen's test subjects. The Soviets could be what was referred to as "barbarians" in the letter. However, I'm not sure about the first note being written by Richtofen, as it refers to him in the third person, but it is definitely about him. We know no other man as "The Doctor. Capital 'D'".

I think it's more of a hint that we're seeing the O4 again, either as characters or in the map itself. We should just try to use the information they're giving us as well as we can.

Maybe Richtofen is talking to himself in the letter. He has multiple personalities and often refers to himself as "The Doctor". Perhaps he is his own "oldest friend". It may be far-fetched, but maybe his alternate personality is writing this letter about his dominant personality.

On another note(no pun intended), the letter could have been written by Gersch about Yuri... although the timeline is out of place. Also Gersch was unaware of Yuri's 115 experiments. Some of the info in the letter does parallel what happened to Yuri (ex. going mad, experimenting with 115).

Not sure what to make of these letters, but I wanted to throw some different ideas out there.

lol i feel late to the party, but wooooow this just seem like a tease

Everyone doesn't want a prequel.

But the date may not infer such a thing.

In fact, it may just as well be a clue for what kind of Side Mission we'll encounter by this piece of historical text.

yea really the date is only when the letter was written, means nothing. arent maxis diary entries dated? if so does that mean those maps are the same date as the entry? nope...thats us overthinking it. we just gotta wait for more info

lol i feel late to the party, but wooooow this just seem like a tease

Everyone doesn't want a prequel.

But the date may not infer such a thing.

In fact, it may just as well be a clue for what kind of Side Mission we'll encounter by this piece of historical text.

yea really the date is only when the letter was written, means nothing. arent maxis diary entries dated? if so does that mean those maps are the same date as the entry? nope...thats us overthinking it. we just gotta wait for more info

Exactly!!!!!!!!

My thoughts are that the first letter is a journal entry by Nikolai.

Since the meteor hit Tunguska in Siberia, it would make sense that Russians were the first to arrive and set up camp to excavate. The spelling mistakes also seem to point at Nikolai since he is probably the laziest and most guttural of the O4. The handwriting is also sloppy which would be characteristic of someone like Nikolai. I can only assume Richtofen was a part of this, but the timelines don't match up well with the formation of 935 and WWII. Of course, typically throughout science things are discovered and it may take years before the discoveries prove useful in any applications. Perhaps 935 was formed back then, but was later funded by the Nazis and only after this generous funding did it really start to make any breakthroughs with the previously discovered 115.

The second letter logically should be Takeo.

There is no other reference to Japan from any characters we know. Russians and Japanese have collaborated on things throughout history given their proximity and I seem to remember Takeo making tons of quotes about Nikolai, as if to say that they were previously well acquainted with each other prior to the BO1 era. Due to the history of Japan being very civilized and stepped in honor could very well mean the reference to 'Barbarians' does indeed allude to the Russians and if you're Takeo and you've only just met Nikolai, you'd think of him as a Barbarian too.

In summary, I believe these notes are journal entries from Nikolai and Takeo when they first began working with their respective nations about the discovery of 115 at Tunguska. Richtofen may or may not have been there and 935 could have just been a dream that Richtofen had, that wasn't fully realized until the Nazi party offered funding and more than likely hired or bought out the entire team of scientists that had been working for Russia and Japan whom were charged with testing the meteor at Tunguska.

The involvement of Richtofen is puzzling...How would a german Doctor be able to know, let alone be involved with such a discovery? How could he have achieved his degree by then and even be recognized as a Doctor? Unless he was a child prodigy, the dates seem to suggest he was too young to have been through so much college. My thoughts about that are either A) The Doctor reference is not Richtofen or B) Richtofen may have traveled back in time to Tunguska to begin his quest for total domination.

B would be awesome because it would mean that possibly the N4 and our next map will help Richtofen accomplish this.

I actually wouldn't be too disappointed in some backstory prequel type map. Remember in Verruckt & Shi No Numa we were hinted at the Tunguska event. Mob of the Dead showed us that Zombies were present prior to the dates that we knew before.

What events happened between 1908 (Tunguska) & 1933 (Mob of the Dead)?

It will be interesting to see how Treyarch include this if we get some story between these dates.

Tunguska - June 30, 1908

Buried Loading Screen (possible date) - 1915

Letter #1 - September 22, 1917

Letter #1 - October 6, 1917

Mob of the Dead Loading Screen - Oct 17, 1917

It won't be long before letter 3 & 4 are posted too.

Also, if someone tries hard enough, I think you can make out a few words that are inked into the 2nd letter.

Good stuff PINNAZ as always. Also, I think I may agree with ETERNAL. It might be Nikolai in the first letter. It's not Richtofen.

Let me say that again because I still see people discussing it like it is possibly him. Unless Treyarch did another "facepalm" mess up, it CANNOT be Richtofen. Moon radios clearly tell us when Richtofen went mad. It was in the 1939. It couldn't have been earlier, especially not 1917. That would give us two completely different back stories.

Lastly, perhaps both are talking about the same person. One is talking about a doctor going mad and another is talking about securing weapons for the Emperor. While we've never made a Japanese connection before, perhaps the Pentagon Thief could fit in. A doctor who went mad and then secured weapons for the Emperor. He could travel through space and time to steal weapons from the Pentagon group. Just a thought.

Good stuff PINNAZ as always. Also, I think I may agree with ETERNAL. It might be Nikolai in the first letter. It's not Richtofen.

Let me say that again because I still see people discussing it like it is possibly him. Unless Treyarch did another "facepalm" mess up, it CANNOT be Richtofen. Moon radios clearly tell us when Richtofen went mad. It was in the 1939. It couldn't have been earlier, especially not 1917. That would give us two completely different back stories.

Lastly, perhaps both are talking about the same person. One is talking about a doctor going mad and another is talking about securing weapons for the Emperor. While we've never made a Japanese connection before, perhaps the Pentagon Thief could fit in. A doctor who went mad and then secured weapons for the Emperor. He could travel through space and time to steal weapons from the Pentagon group. Just a thought.

What in that letter indicates to you any madness? Seems perfectly sane to me. Not saying it definitely is Richtofen writing that letter, but there is no conclusive evidence that it couldn't be

I'm saying Richtofen isn't the one described in the letter. It could be him writing it, though I'm still not sure about that. I like Nikolai better until I get a drunken scribble for one of the pictures.

ok yes that's what I think as well. I assumed we were guessing the author of each letter. And as far as the author, based on the language chosen, I strongly disagree that Nikolai is the author.

I'm saying Richtofen isn't the one described in the letter. It could be him writing it, though I'm still not sure about that. I like Nikolai better until I get a drunken scribble for one of the pictures.

ok yes that's what I think as well. I assumed we were guessing the author of each letter. And as far as the author, based on the language chosen, I strongly disagree that Nikolai is the author.

Unless I'm mistaken, Nikolai wasn't an alcoholic until he was tested on by richtofen. Before then we have no idea how he acted, as he is drunk for basically the entire time we've known him. For all we know it could be his handwriting / style.