Letters from the Field - Photos & Videos from Pre-Origins

GRILL

I'm saying Richtofen isn't the one described in the letter. It could be him writing it, though I'm still not sure about that. I like Nikolai better until I get a drunken scribble for one of the pictures.

ok yes that's what I think as well. I assumed we were guessing the author of each letter. And as far as the author, based on the language chosen, I strongly disagree that Nikolai is the author.

Unless I'm mistaken, Nikolai wasn't an alcoholic until he was tested on by richtofen. Before then we have no idea how he acted, as he is drunk for basically the entire time we've known him. For all we know it could be his handwriting / style.

He was, after his political career plummet and he was deployed to front lines he started to drink Vodka.

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was, after his political career plummet and he was deployed to front lines he started to drink Vodka.

So, let's assume Richtofen is the Doctor referenced in this letter and let's assume it is Nikolai.

If Richtofen knew about Nikolai and knew about the Tunguska incident, can we not assume also that Richtofen saw Tunguska as an opportunity to begin the events of all the Black Ops we've seen? I'm thinking now that Richtofen traveled back in time, met and befriended Nikolai prior to Tunguska, then simply waited for the rest of history to unfold. I've always suspected that Richtofen knew more than he should about the events ocurring and that he was being cryptic on purpose.

You can't just travel back in time and demand things...You have to persuade subtley and gently whisper things in people's ears in order to sway their choices to achieve the end result you desire.

My friends, I think this is what Richtofen has been doing all along. Once he joined 935 and time travel/teleportation was discovered, he developed a master plan to take over the world. These notes are illustrating how he accomplishes this from the current time in our story. I think the next map will see Richtofen going back in time to Tunguska, so he can perpetuate the actions that lead to his world domination, but he will never get to enjoy his supreme power because he will forever be stuck in a loop. However, Maxis is the only person in a position to stop him, Maxis the only unchecked variable. This is getting exciting!

There won't be a prequel.

The reason is the zombies didn't appear until 1945. Plus Nikolai and Dempsey would be young children.

Mob of the Dead wants a word with you. But yeah a prequel with original characters during 1917 isn't possible.

So, let's assume Richtofen is the Doctor referenced in this letter and let's assume it is Nikolai.

If Richtofen knew about Nikolai and knew about the Tunguska incident, can we not assume also that Richtofen saw Tunguska as an opportunity to begin the events of all the Black Ops we've seen? I'm thinking now that Richtofen traveled back in time, met and befriended Nikolai prior to Tunguska, then simply waited for the rest of history to unfold. I've always suspected that Richtofen knew more than he should about the events ocurring and that he was being cryptic on purpose.

You can't just travel back in time and demand things...You have to persuade subtley and gently whisper things in people's ears in order to sway their choices to achieve the end result you desire.

My friends, I think this is what Richtofen has been doing all along. Once he joined 935 and time travel/teleportation was discovered, he developed a master plan to take over the world. These notes are illustrating how he accomplishes this from the current time in our story. I think the next map will see Richtofen going back in time to Tunguska, so he can perpetuate the actions that lead to his world domination, but he will never get to enjoy his supreme power because he will forever be stuck in a loop. However, Maxis is the only person in a position to stop him, Maxis the only unchecked variable. This is getting exciting!

Did you mean that he developed a master plan to become in charge of the zombies. Because he did. He had been planning that since at least Kino. That's why he purposely teleported the O4 to COTD and Shangri-La.

This would also lead to paradox upon paradox

EDIT: ohh i understand now, okay, sorry bout that. The paradox thing still stands

My friends, I think this is what Richtofen has been doing all along. Once he joined 935 and time travel/teleportation was discovered, he developed a master plan to take over the world. These notes are illustrating how he accomplishes this from the current time in our story. I think the next map will see Richtofen going back in time to Tunguska, so he can perpetuate the actions that lead to his world domination, but he will never get to enjoy his supreme power because he will forever be stuck in a loop. However, Maxis is the only person in a position to stop him, Maxis the only unchecked variable.

Shout out to people like Eternal who can figure this stuff out from two notes. However, one thing is bugging me: why would Richtofen choose now to go back to Tunguska? Wouldn't that be something he had done before, back when he was with 935? He must be smart enough to know what would trap him in a loop, why would he go trap himself in one anyways? Unless it's the voices in his head telling him to...

My friends, I think this is what Richtofen has been doing all along. Once he joined 935 and time travel/teleportation was discovered, he developed a master plan to take over the world. These notes are illustrating how he accomplishes this from the current time in our story. I think the next map will see Richtofen going back in time to Tunguska, so he can perpetuate the actions that lead to his world domination, but he will never get to enjoy his supreme power because he will forever be stuck in a loop. However, Maxis is the only person in a position to stop him, Maxis the only unchecked variable.

Shout out to people like Eternal who can figure this stuff out from two notes. However, one thing is bugging me: why would Richtofen choose now to go back to Tunguska? Wouldn't that be something he had done before, back when he was with 935? He must be smart enough to know what would trap him in a loop, why would he go trap himself in one anyways? Unless it's the voices in his head telling him to...

However if Richtofen was able to travel back in time, why wouldn't he just go back in time and kill Maxis as a baby or something that stop him being able to get in the way.

Or maybe not as a baby because then Sam wouldn't have been able to be born, but perhaps just teleport to when Maxis was executed. Then just walk Maxis away from the MPD so his soul cannot be sucked into it.

However if Richtofen was able to travel back in time, why wouldn't he just go back in time and kill Maxis as a baby or something that stop him being able to get in the way.

Or maybe not as a baby because then Sam wouldn't have been able to be born, but perhaps just teleport to when Maxis was executed. Then just walk Maxis away from the MPD so his soul cannot be sucked into it.

Ahh, see, funny thing about crossing your own timeline...

Ahh, see, funny thing about crossing your own timeline...

And this is why all this time travel explanation pisses me off. That might actually be what is happening story wise, but i think thats a lazy way to create a story on treyarchs part if that is true. I think there is something else going on here.

the grandfather paradox really gives problems with backward time travel, and thats one of the few reasons i hope thats not what they are doing here...

And this is why all this time travel explanation pisses me off. That might actually be what is happening story wise, but i think thats a lazy way to create a story on treyarchs part if that is true. I think there is something else going on here.

The thing with the time travel explanation though, is that it gives Treyarch creative freedom to create a map almost anywhere they want. They understand that the hardcore fans like us want an incredibly in-depth story, and they give us that, but their first priority is creating fun maps in awesome locales. Buried, for example. Someone at Treyarch probably said, "it would be cool to do an Old Western themed map." Someone else said, "but that wouldn't fit in with the storyline." "Hmm, true, but it would be a cool location and a fun experience, so we should make it fit into the story." Time-space rift. Old Western town underground. Problem solved.

Gameplay > anything else

The thing with the time travel explanation though, is that it gives Treyarch creative freedom to create a map almost anywhere they want. They understand that the hardcore fans like us want an incredibly in-depth story, and they give us that, but their first priority is creating fun maps in awesome locales. Buried, for example. Someone at Treyarch probably said, "it would be cool to do an Old Western themed map." Someone else said, "but that wouldn't fit in with the storyline." "Hmm, true, but it would be a cool location and a fun experience, so we should make it fit into the story." Time-space rift. Old Western town underground. Problem solved.

Gameplay > anything else

I generally agree, but they started the story angle in shi no numa, and they went all in on it in black ops 2, there's no turning back now. If they are mainly focused on game play, they should wrap this story up and either create a new story, or make a specific story for each map. The grasping at straws to continue this story while using time travel as a means to feely create a map anywhere/when they want is just slowly losing me

Grandfather paradox...That's the term I was trying to think of.

And yes, my theory does create this paradox, sort of.

Now, to answer some of these questions:

Suppose this is the first time Richtofen is going through this. He would not be aware of the role Maxis plays. Maxis would just be a nuiscance, but his importance would not be realized. Hope that answers the question of why he didn't go back and just kill Maxis as a child. Or maybe, Maxis' meddling with his plans actually backfire and ultimately lead to Richtofen succeeding, so Richtofen needs that.

I think we're going through this with Richtofen for the first time, him going back to Tunguska has not actually occurred yet and all the events leading up to that have been orchestrated by his subtle persuasions. I think we'll discover as Richtofen does the loop he may end up in.

Perhaps also, our decisions will affect things greatly. Maybe choosing Maxis helps him succeed...Mob seemed to be a bit of a foreshadow to this end, I think because of 'The Cycle'.

There's still more details to hash out, but I think all signs are pointing to this as the direction we're headed: Richtofen trying to manipulate time, Maxis, the O3 and the N4 to accomplish his end result of global domination, whether he succeeds and how he accomplishes this, I think, is yet to be determined and will depend on our actions.

I don't think that backwards time travel is a lazy way to go for Treyarch, but it is a.... Problem inducing way. It causes more problems and creates too many unorthodox questions. I mean soon well have people saying that Richtofen is Samuels dad, Takeo's aunt, that in the next game there will be a crew made up of just Richtofen's. it's too much freedom with what could and has happened

Some great discussion going on here. I love this sh*t! Brains to you ETEI2NAL, that was a great explanation which reminded me of this -

This piece of intel is something that I've always thought was crucial to the Zombies story & something so well hidden in the game. Though it's very vague, it's everything to do with the Zombie story - Die Glocke & the Wunderwaffe Program.

Read point 6. carefully.

"Mirrored device that allowed the viewing of images from the past"

All these dates circa World War 1 made me remember a comment I made from an idea that was given to me from FatedTitan's - Ghost of Alcatraz Thread

Your point about 115 not being in WW2 got me thinking that if we have to stop Group 935 (and everyone else that had 115) do we somehow stop a younger Maxis or Richtofen from choosing the path that we are told in the previous games?

Or do we stop Samantha from ever being involved in this scenario?

This idea of stopping Element 115 from being used in World War 2 made me realise; How do we stop it? 

We blow the F**k out of the meteor that landed in Tunguska in 1908 with the towers that we have powered. We may be using future "Star Wars" technology (Particle Beams & Gamma Ray concepts) to destroy an event that happened over 100 years ago in the future. 

We are "Back tracing across the Future"

Tesla's Wardenclyffe tower was thought to be the cause of the Tunguska event. Are we using his future technology to actually stop this event from occurring????

This may all be coming together!

thanks Liam, posted.

Transcript:

"November 19th, 1917

It seems beyond doubt that Fritz is up to no good. Air reconnaissance suggests prototype armored weaponry is being tested in Northern France. Scuttlebutt reads like the ramblings of a mad man, strange lights in the sky... a mysterious plague... even giant metal men.

I'll be at the site within the week to the learn the truth with my own eyes..."

To me, this totally sounds like it's from an American British individual. "Fritz" was a commonly used named for German's in general (along with such names as "kraut"). Giant metal men, though? Ohoho this IS shaping up to be something insane.

I hope that i'll be at the site within a month or so to learn the truth with MY own eyes...

I'll update as more letters emerge...

EDIT:

Fritz originated as a German nickname for Friedrich, or Frederick (der alte Fritz was a nickname for King Frederick II of Prussia and Frederick III, German Emperor), as well as for similar names including Fridolin. Fritz was also a name given to German troops by the British and others in the first and second world wars, equivalent to Tommy, as the British troops were called by German and other troops.[1] Other common bases for which the name Fritz was used include the surnames Fritsche, Fritzsche, Fritsch, and Frisch(e).

source

I think we may be able to assume this is a letter from Tank's perspective.

'Fritz' was a name given to German soldiers during WWI and WWII by British and other soldiers.

Obviously the site referenced is Tunguska. Not too sure about 'Scuttlebutt' Couldn't find much information on that.

Very interesting. Sounds American, like Grill said, so maybe this one is Dempsey? Again though, he seems too young to have been involved in such "top-secretey" stuff back in '17. Plus, he's using bigger words than he would normally use. But then again, one of Richtofen's radios reported that Dempsey got more violent as a result of the experiments, in much the same way that Nikolai became an alcoholic. So maybe we're seeing some calmer Dempsey from the past? This is already too weird, and I haven't even started talking about the giant metal men in Northern France :lol:

Very interesting. Sounds American, like Grill said, so maybe this one is Dempsey? Again though, he seems too young to have been involved in such "top-secretey" stuff back in '17. Plus, he's using bigger words than he would normally use. But then again, one of Richtofen's radios reported that Dempsey got more violent as a result of the experiments, in much the same way that Nikolai became an alcoholic. So maybe we're seeing some calmer Dempsey from the past? This is already too weird, and I haven't even started talking about the giant metal men in Northern France :lol:

Yeah, that's why I just left it at "American". I'm not sold on ANY of this letters being from the O4 (yet), but I suppose time (travel) will tell. and yes, I know that joke was made on page 2... but it was worth it.

Sounded more british to me... I can not in my wildest imagination think of Tank saying "Scuttlebutt" ever.

Sounds more like British to me.

so if it belongs to someone we know of, i'd side with Maxis

:edit: maybe this map is to be set in france, and is in fact a map they've had in the wings for a while that the campaign team put finishing touches on, so that the zombies team can turn focus to a 5th map that wraps up our black ops 2 story? separate dlc or maybe not... unless these notes are SOLELY meant to give us background information on the storyline in general and does not relate to a map specifically at all..

Sounded more british to me... I can not in my wildest imagination think of Tank saying "Scuttlebutt" ever.

Sounds more like British to me.

you make a good point. I just read it in my head in a British accent and it sounded spot on, by jove!

I'm officially changing my stance to that this is from a British perspective.