Letters from the Field - Photos & Videos from Pre-Origins

GRILL

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My theory is that Samantha was discovered inside the ruins, but had no memory. Maxis found her, and whether it was part of her power, or Maxis having a conscious, he took her and acted as if she was his daughter. Of course with her having no memory whatsoever, she didn't have any choice other than to believe it. This would explain the dark nature she sometimes display, as well as why there is no mother in the picture! The ancient evil within the ruins? I believe it's her, or possibly her real father (Satan?)

Yep, could also explain why maxis is an old fart and she is young. Possibilly can't age either. We'll see, and I certainly hope this is the case instead of it being a dumb sequel inside a prequel, or involving time travel.

Same here, I'd be pissed if it goes the MotD route and we make everything so it never happened.

I tried looking up this "Pablo Marinus," but to no avail. Nothing on him. Someone else can try if they'd like.

Could be the name of the unknown Mexican Richtofen killed. Also to note that maxis isn't the leader of 935.

I would doubt that. My guess is that it'd be some kind of explorer of sorts, or a member of the knights who were stuck in the ruin.

I tried looking up this "Pablo Marinus," but to no avail. Nothing on him. Someone else can try if they'd like.

Could be the name of the unknown Mexican Richtofen killed. Also to note that maxis isn't the leader of 935.

I would doubt that. My guess is that it'd be some kind of explorer of sorts, or a member of the knights who were stuck in the ruin.

Doesn't quite seem like that would be the name of a Templar Knight but it's still possible I guess. Hopefully we'll learn more about this Pablo person in the map and answer all of our other questions.

Sooo...

I would say that Pablo Marinus is not the Mexican, due to my thinking that Marinus does not sound much of a Mexican name, even though it could be.

So it's confirmed that Samantha has contact with the dig site. And perhaps tries to convince Maxis not to open the tomb and release the zombies, so Richtofen takes control and does it. Just my thoughts

• Administrators

Let's think of the most famous bearer if the name Pablo. Pablo Picasso, of course. His last ne is of Italian origin, however he identifies himself as Spanish, as do the rest of the world. Why? Because he was born in Spain and his first name is Pablo, which is of Spanish origin. So while Marinus is Pablo's last name in the letter, which is of Ancient Rome/Dutch decent, he very well still may identify as Spanish, despite his given name.

Now, his last name, Marinus, means 'of the sea', so I'm going to say that he's an explorer from some country. Dr. Edward Richtofen was able to find him and retrieved his journal, which led them to the site they're currently at. But the journal wasn't enough, he needed Pablo's help. He drug him along as extra help and once they arrived, he set up his laboratory and began his experimentation on the Mexican, also known as Pablo Marinus. He is the man we see in the Origins trailer.

This is my theory for now, until more details are released. Getting super excited! :D

Let's think of the most famous bearer if the name Pablo. Pablo Picasso, of course. His last ne is of Italian origin, however he identifies himself as Spanish, as do the rest of the world. Why? Because he was born in Spain and his first name is Pablo, which is of Spanish origin. So while Marinus is Pablo's last name in the letter, which is of Ancient Rome/Dutch decent, he very well still may identify as Spanish, despite his given name.

Now, his last name, Marinus, means 'of the sea', so I'm going to say that he's an explorer from some country. Dr. Edward Richtofen was able to find him and retrieved his journal, which led them to the site they're currently at. But the journal wasn't enough, he needed Pablo's help. He drug him along as extra help and once they arrived, he set up his laboratory and began his experimentation on the Mexican, also known as Pablo Marinus. He is the man we see in the Origins trailer.

This is my theory for now, until more details are released. Getting super excited! :D

That's a stretch, but hey. I think it's more likely an explorer from say the renaissance, but that's just me. None the less it does get more interesting by the minute.

Does anyone have a transcript of the letter? it's hard to read.

All letters have transcripts in the OP :P

viewtopic.php?f=155&t=34432

But here you go:

May 13 1918

The journal of Pablo Marinus has been a most valuable source of information... We now stand at the edge of a brave new world. Our survey of the site has led us to believe that this location may hold the largest single source of 115 yet discovered. We have been authorized to begin work immediately...

Maxis has become obsessed, he neglects the true focus of our mission and instead chases legends and myths. I fear that the girl's influence may have irrevocably poisoned his mind. It is with considerable regret that I must report his current mental instability to group 935's leaders...

- Richtofen

Does anyone have a transcript of the letter? it's hard to read.

All letters have transcripts in the OP :P

viewtopic.php?f=155&t=34432

But here you go:

May 13 1918

The journal of Pablo Marinus has been a most valuable source of information... We now stand at the edge of a brave new world. Our survey of the site has led us to believe that this location may hold the largest single source of 115 yet discovered. We have been authorized to begin work immediately...

Maxis has become obsessed, he neglects the true focus of our mission and instead chases legends and myths. I fear that the girl's influence may have irrevocably poisoned his mind. It is with considerable regret that I must report his current mental instability to group 935's leaders...

- Richtofen

Thanks Grill.

and wow, so Maxis isen't the leader of Group 935? how is Samantha alive in 1918?

WHY IS THIS MIND FUCKING WITH MY MIND? :lol:

Ooh, so do we have an identity for the Mexican? Sounds interesting.

Maxis IS the leader of 935. But apparently he wasn't always. I wonder, did usurp the leader later on?

What is strange is the "girl's influence". I mean, having a daughter in your life is quite an influence. So I can definitely see Richtofen just wording strangely Samantha pressing onto Maxis's mind as she is his daughter. But the vague wording opens it up to other possibilities...

• Administrators

Dr. Edward Richtofen can only report Dr. Ludvig Maxis' behavior to somone who is above him in rank. OR, someone who is on an equal level if, say, they were all co-founders. I think he's a co-founder, co-leader, and Richtofen is reporting him to the other leaders.

EDIT: I'm not seeing anything that convinces me this girl is Samantha, yet.

Edward's second letter is more evidence for my theory. This is an alternate reality where many things have happened earlier and many roles are switched. As I have said before, this is most likely a world where Maxis is insane and interested in unusual sciences while Richtofen is the head of Group 935's Element 115 excavations in France. They also probably had hostilities.

I agree. However, if it is Samantha, this may be an alternate reality where he spent more time with her (like he wishes he did in the last Moon radio).

Edward's second letter is more evidence for my theory. This is an alternate reality where many things have happened earlier and many roles are switched. As I have said before, this is most likely a world where Maxis is insane and interested in unusual sciences while Richtofen is the head of Group 935's Element 115 excavations in France. They also probably had hostilities.

Interestingly enough Richtofen in his letters, is acting and sounding a lot like Maxis did (Pre-Der Reise and Samantha entering the MPD), while Maxis seems to be a jobbling lunatic here.

I agree. However, if it is Samantha, this may be an alternate reality where he spent more time with her (like he wishes he did in the last Moon radio).

This isn't an alternate reality. It's being called a prequel for a reason. It's the beginning to the story we know and love.

Dr. Edward Richtofen can only report Dr. Ludvig Maxis' behavior to somone who is above him in rank. OR, someone who is on an equal level if, say, they were all co-founders. I think he's a co-founder, co-leader, and Richtofen is reporting him to the other leaders.

Really? Nothing?

The achievement name Lost Little Girl?

The young girl voice in the Origins intro?

Richtofens latest note?

Who else could it be? I don't think it would be a grown woman based on how Richtofen says "the girl"

Why do you people want an alternate reality so much? Just... no. For the reasons Vyhl said and more

Who else could it be? I don't think it would be a grown woman based on how Richtofen says "the girl"

Perhaps someone we haven't met yet? There are no certainties until the DLC comes out...

• Administrators

Yeah I love the alternate reality theory, just not applied here.

As for Samantha, it just.. I'm sure it will be her, I just don't see how. She simply shouldn't be alive. As of 1942, she was between 6-10 years old, according to the terminal. I'm baffled. Seems like it should be Sophia or someone. But like I said, I'm sure it'll be Samantha.

Yeah an alternate reality would be too out there,

If this is an alternate reality then in BO3 we might as well be in an alternate reality where we all have heads of ducks and shoot dung bullets at gnomes, the amount of questions, possibilities and paradoxes an alternate reality would bring up would be too high

Yeah I love the alternate reality theory, just not applied here.

As for Samantha, it just.. I'm sure it will be her, I just don't see how. She simply shouldn't be alive. As of 1942, she was between 6-10 years old, according to the terminal. I'm baffled. Seems like it should be Sophia or someone. But like I said, I'm sure it'll be Samantha.

Thanks for clarifying that, I was gonna say...

But the theory is that Samantha isn't an ordinary girl, hence the influence on Maxis (it's possible she isn't even his daughter based on how Richtofen made out the influence to be a recent thing). It's possible she can't age. We obviously can't know at this point, but she could be a spawn of Satan for all we know. Also gives us a way forward in terms of plot for BO3 if you think about it.