Who Started The Phrase End Game?

Ok honestly the only End Game in the history of Zombies is the one in Mob of The Dead. I dont know how this caught fire, but its bugged me for awhile. Lol. I gets on the computer and see 4 or 5 post on a End game in Buried and I immediatly start pounding my face into the key board. :| I do know that if you go down that ends the game.

Its ok I still love you guys. :D

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm correct, I think the phrase "End Game" actually originated from custom made Call of Duty WAW maps, where players can do certain actions and/or buy a buy-able ending to end the game they are in. I think that is probably where it came from. And then it just so happens that Mob of the Dead has an "End Game" by breaking the cycle. Although this may not be 100% accurate, I still think this could be correct. Don't quote me on it, though.

Ok honestly the only End Game in the history of Zombies is the one in Mob of The Dead. I dont know how this caught fire, but its bugged me for awhile. Lol. I gets on the computer and see 4 or 5 post on a End game in Buried and I immediatly start pounding my face into the key board. :| I do know that if you go down that ends the game.

End Game is a common phrase through out various games. Such as Chess or Checkers. It refers to the instance after the Opening and Middlegames where you are getting set up. In chess-like games it is referred to as being the time when "there are few pieces left on the board."

This can translate into Zombies in that the opening is the first few rounds. Get a gun, get Jug. This is the time in which you are very careful as to how you go about getting your points. Shoot x number of times and knife, buy this door, but not that one, get the power on, etc. You aren't camping and you aren't training, and at this point the game is quite slow in action, but everything is done when it needs to be without too much thought after you've been through it a dozen times or so.

The Middlegame of zombies is when you are no longer m1911 ing the zombies and knifing them. You aren't so much worried about points, but you are quite set up yet. You might have a good wall weapon, and you're still hitting the box. This is when you buy your perks and packa-punch. This point of the game determines how the rest of the match is going to play out, and is also the point where you can get caught off gaurd and be put at a huge disadvantage.

Finally, the endgame is when you have all of your perks, you have the weapons that you want. Everything has slowed down. Your moves are exactly planned out and there are few enough pieces on the board that allows you to calculate all of the possibilities. The only way you can lose now is if you make a mental mistake.

So it's not so much reference the literal end of the game, but a particular stage in the game.

I first heard it on an old mmo I played called shaiya. About 8 years ago, the final bosses in the game were called End game bosses...even though the game kept going and he would just respawn hours later.

I agree though, if it doesn't end the game, its not end game. Just like a cut scene has to cut away from something, or else it is an intro.

If I'm correct, I think the phrase "End Game" actually originated from custom made Call of Duty WAW maps, where players can do certain actions and/or buy a buy-able ending to end the game they are in. I think that is probably where it came from. And then it just so happens that Mob of the Dead has an "End Game" by breaking the cycle. Although this may not be 100% accurate, I still think this could be correct. Don't quote me on it, though.

This guy I think is correct.

The concept of "endgame" itself is superfluous and honestly very subjective. To use the term to refer to an event in zombies I think subjugates the whole purpose of the game, the story, and Treyarch. The term originates from various endings put on to custom maps, where you would click "end the game" for __x__ many points. The term is adopted from other games where you have a so-called "end-game", which is basically just the end OF the game. Since Zombies doesn't have an end, using the term is inappropriate. Treyarch introduced a way to end the game in Mob of the Dead. I disagreed with the decision, but it remains. It still isn't really an "endgame" though, because Mob of the Dead itself is a prequel. All in all, the term "end game" is erroneous, no matter how you use it.

Perhaps it's just assumed that after the EE of a map, the players (storyline wise) go to the next map, technically the EE is the end of the map, yet we play on because it's how the mode was designed. I try not to let it bother me like it used to, I just like to see proper use of the word, and unless we're talking about MOTD, the only way to see end game, is to die.

Perhaps it's just assumed that after the EE of a map, the players (storyline wise) go to the next map, technically the EE is the end of the map, yet we play on because it's how the mode was designed. I try not to let it bother me like it used to, I just like to see proper use of the word, and unless we're talking about MOTD, the only way to see end game, is to die.

Couldn't of said it better.

Couldn't of said it better. I hate to be that guy to say it, but I had to. Those words can damage my friends. There us a reason End Game is associated with MOTD.

1. It does not pertain to the storyline

2. We will not see those characters again.

3. A word such as "End Game" is ment to distract you from the possibilities of any other events that could take place.

It is not at all correct when used with our story. Its taking away from the rising action. By the time we hit the climax we don't catch that 'Wow' moment, because we think we already know it all.

I enjoy surprise and discovery. Just as I would read for myself. I shall experience it for myself and that is how you know your having fun!

There are some good responses above, but the reason I think you hear the term "Endgame" in Black Ops 2 is because if this article - Playstation Magazines interview with Rez Elghazi

Scary stories

“There is a narrative in Tranzit, and an endgame of sorts. Death is the most common ending, but it’s not necessarily the only ending. Pay attention to dialogue between the four new heroes and you’ll begin to unravel the mystery behind the zombie takeover of Earth.”

This was obviously published before Mob of the Dead, which actually had a different endgame, but because of this article the term "endgame" has been thrown around like them missing piece to Tranzit.

i see your point, but "end game" is a pretty common phrase just meaning the result or outcome. in Mob of the Dead, yes the easter egg literally ends the game, but in the sense that people are using it pertaining to buried and the box in the courthouse, end game just refers to the end result or outcome of the story

also:

Related to ENDGAME

Synonyms

capper, close, closing, conclusion, consummation, end, finale, ending, finis, finish, grand finale, home stretch, mop-up, windup, wrap-up

obviously not all of those pertain to this use of the phrase, but conclusion, wrap-up, consummation all agree with the "end game" in buried. meaning its basically summing up or concluding the "power the towers" phase of the zombies storyline

Synonyms

capper, close, closing, conclusion, consummation, end, finale, ending, finis, finish, grand finale, home stretch, mop-up, windup, wrap-up

obviously not all of those pertain to this use of the phrase, but conclusion, wrap-up, consummation all agree with the "end game" in buried. meaning its basically summing up or concluding the "power the towers" phase of the zombies storyline

You see if it was presented like that I would understand. Lately Iv seen people presenting it as this is literally the end of the quests and I disagree with that.

Synonyms

You see if it was presented like that I would understand. Lately Iv seen people presenting it as this is literally the end of the quests and I disagree with that.

I agree with you there. I definitely don't see the button in the courthouse as "THE END" its like the conclusion of this chapter in the zombies book. just offers more closure to the first 3 maps, and prefaces the 4th map imo

When pressing the button the world shakes. In Tranzit the same thing happens while in the Bus Depot. The floor breaks and we continue on. Could this be connected in a way. When you reset you have to go back into Tranzit.