Rate Black Ops II: Zombies so far.

So now there is just one DLC left. How have you enjoyed/not enjoyed the Zombies mode in Black Ops II regarding the story, gameplay and features? Lets use a scale of 4-10.

For me, the whole zombie experience has been a bitter disappointment so far. Lets start from the features. There was no offline mode for PC resulting numerous disconnections for those trying to get to high rounds in solo. Also lack of private games, lobby leaderboards and no config files to edit was a very bad move by Treyarch.

Then we get to the ranking system a long waited feature, that imo went horribly wrong. Instead of being some what based on time spent playing Treyarch made a system that became a horrible grind and frustration for a lot of players. This with the fact that there was no lobby leaderboards resulted in some players avoiding low level players.

I give Treayrch credit for the stats tracking and theater mode both were great features to the zombies world. New modes like Grief and Turned were nice extra to have along side the normal survival mode. In fact I have have more fun in Grief than in most of the survival matches.

Then to maps and their features, its pretty obvious they bite off more than one can chew with Tranzit. The console restrictions hindered the experience with the fog they had to imply to the map to block the draw distance. Also the first "wonder weapon" Jet gun was made way too much of an burden to build when it was a sub par weapon unless you were exploiting the cooldown glitch.

Addition of Bank was a nice features including the presistent upgrades system. The next map had a lot better flow to it. Die Rise was both fun and challenging. Mob of the Dead had a great theme and fell all around the map but for me it got boring extremely fast. In the very first Co-Op game I played with randoms where we build the plane we got to round 33. So the map was too easy to keep me interested. But the map had great story and little Easter eggs as well Hell's retriever and golden spork made the map stand out.

Buried I have yet to test but I'm looking forward to it. For the story and characters of Black Ops II have been disappointed, the whole post destruction of Earth story and how Treayarch has developed has not struct me. I feel like there was so much more they could have done with the story of the original characters but they decided to kind of ditch them and start of from clean table to reach for the new players as they for the first time promoted the Zombies as full blown out third mode in the game.

So so far of what I was expecting from the zombies and what I have actually received from Black Ops II zombies I will give it a score of:

This score of course can get a little bit higher if Buried and the last DLC map blow me away but generally the Zombie story and some of the decisions Treyarch made will not be simply fixed with couple of great maps.

These were my opinions and I would love to hear yours. :)

-Matuzz

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zombies was just not good at all in my opinion it was such a let down compared to black ops 1 I feel like the whole zombies team was lacking in ideas for story and I think they have no idea where they are going next. Overall i'm going to rate the zombies game mode a 5 just for the fact that there were only two decent maps and the creepy feel was missing also even in the good maps the story was disappointing.

I feel the same as BSZ, the final DLC will be the decider in my overall vote but currently I'm standing on about a 7. The exclusion of O4, WW and some Perks are what makes it not as fun. And I feel there's too much of a grind to get into a good game, with building things and traveling distances to go where I want to go.

• Moderators

I hate Green Run.

I like NTZ.

I do not really care about Die Rise.

I actually like MotD.

The story up until Die Rise has been awful to the point where I don't even wanna know what actually is happening.

I dislike the characters.

The game is glitchy as hell.

And it has been over hyped to death.

6.0 from me.

Compared to BO1 it is a 0.

I still had/have fun playing it though.

Just not nearly as much as I wanted to.

I give it a 10 of course, it is awesome, sure, the exclusion of the O4 sucks, I want them back too, but I also love the new characters too, Tranzit (and Die Rise) to a extent were a little shaky, with Treyarch trying a lot of new things and not everyone liking the changes to the system, but it is all great, all the maps have been great in there own way, there finally getting it perfect with Buried, and I believe DLC 4 will be epic of course, the storyline is finally getting good, it's all good.

Here's what I really think it comes down to: were you a BO1 Zombies player from the start, or a BO2 player? Is BO2 what got you into Zombies? If yes, then you'll see it more positively than if you got into Zombies on an older game.

I do agree with the OP that they should have added lobby leaderboards back, and a few other good things that I miss. But! There's a lot of good stuff too.

For starts, I love the feel of BO2 Zombies, a lot. I like the feel more than any other Zombies. I'm not sure if it's the revised engine, or the settings of the maps, or what, but I like the feel a lot more than BO1. I played lots of BO1 zombies for several months before BO2 came out, and when I first played in Green Run, I didn't like it. I hated that I could no longer knife zombies easily, and a few other things. But after some time, I grew to accept those things and that new map became my favorite. Treyarch has been ambitious in BO2 maps, I think. It seems obvious that they're trying to bring new ideas to the table in each map (for example, each map having its own unique perk). Personally, I like that, though I know a lot of BO1 era players don't as much. (Oddly enough I don't like the 2 BO1-style maps in BO2, but a lot of BO1 players do, haha.)

Green Run - This map stood out because it was so big. Bigger than any Zombies experience, but to balance this out, the playable areas were smaller. I liked this; it made just getting around the map a challenge. For the first time, buildables as well. Now, the buildables were overall bad, but it was a start. The map also featured persistent perks, which was a new step forward. The map was designed to be challenging, as weapons are bad, and to this day high rounds (60+) are not common, which I like about this map. It's the only one of the main maps that isn't overrun with glitchers. I also loved the new characters a lot, and I like them more than the old ones. So yeah, this map was a big step into something new; for a first try it was decent, and the good thing is that Treyarch learned from the mistakes of Tranzit, which is why the DLCs are getting better and better generally.

Nuketown - Probably an afterthought by Treyarch, this map is way too small for my liking and the lack of a special weapon turns me off too. It's ok, and you can get into it fast, but there are no special characters, and the random spawning of Juggernog turns me off.

Die Rise - For their first DLC, I think Treyarch did amazing. This map brought back buildables, but they cut down on how many, and both the two they gave us were really good. Pre-patch, the Sliquifier was the best and most fun Wonder Weapon in Zombies. They gave us really good wall weapons for the first time in BO2 Zombies, among which was the SVU (the best wall weapon to date) and the AN-94 (right behind the SVU). The map ambitiously focused on verticality for the first time in Zombies, and Who's Who for the first time gave Solo players a chance to have more than 3 downs in a game. On top of that, a boss round which enabled you to get free perks and to get an extra 2000 points. Treyarch also tried really hard to please the community by patching the initial spawn exploits and glitches in Die Rise, and even cleared a lot of the leaderboards out, which was a big favor on their part. Saldy there are still a lot of glitches left. ._.

Mob of the Dead - This time around, Treyarch left the map design to their campaign team. To mix things up, they brought us a new HUD for the map, allowed us to build buildables wherever a workbench was, and brought traps back for the first time in BO2. They also gave us a free self-revive each round in the form of afterlife, gave us a shotgun WW that could be upgraded into an unreliable Awful Lawton, re-skinned the Zombie Shield, gave us new characters (personally I didn't like them but still many people did), a time-consuming but different way to PaP, new wall weapons and a different way to power up the perk machines. Can't forget the tomahawk either. They even put in a new zombie controller and changed the zombie eyes to red. The map does not function with perma-perks and overall feels like a BO1 map. Everything about it makes it feel different than our other maps. I didn't like it too much, but I feel like it fits somehow, and I do have fun playing it now and then.

Buried - In further efforts to please their fans, Treyarch did so much in this map for us. First off, they made a new Ray Gun and added it to other maps as well. They made a Old Western-style revolver to replace the Python, and gave us the Paralyzer, which is similar to a Jet Gun but much, much better and more fun since you can fly with it. We got all our Die Rise wall weapons back, but this time we can put them wherever we want. We can get free perks too, but at our own pace. They made a maze as well which changes, and gave us a new (and rather overpowered) perk which many fans had been asking for. They also gave us a bunch of new persistent perks, one of which was the most desired PHD. They gave us two new buildables and brought back two old ones (though they shouldn't have brought back the TS, that thing is a glitcher's best friend), and allowed us to do easter eggs to unlock two special endings in this map. Also, we finally have a sort of "friend" in the form of Mr. Booze, who can do a lot of useful things to help us.

Overall I feel like, while BO2 Zombies takes steps in new directions, it's a good thing. Aside from glitchers and exploiters of stupid game mechanics, the leaderboards and ranking system are overall well-designed and accurate, and the maps are so much more full of ambition and effort to do new things than BO1 maps were. I enjoy BO2 Zombies. I would give it a 8.5.

Story:

The story didn't really get interesting for me until Mob of the Dead and subsequently Buried. It seemed like just a group of survivors who were powering spires for two mysterious Germans.

6/10 story, not enough details until Buried.

Maps:

Green Run: Overhyped, less desirable map to play on. Has some replayability.

Die Rise: Seems Just a little linear in terms of how to get around the map. Not so many buildables to make.

Mob of the Dead: Good buildable system, interesting setting, nice story elements.

Buried: Okay buildable system, useful companion, not too difficult way to get free perks.

Nuketown: small-ish, not as much story as everything else, fairly good.

Overall: 7/10

Other:

No private matches, okay custom games settings, bank and persistent upgrades, new gamemodes.

7/10.

Overall: 7/10. Needed more story, and I feel Nuketown could have been a bit bigger. Green Run could have been less spread out. Still hoping to at least hear something from the O4.

Uggggh... I could make a long post of why I think so, but I'd give it a 10. No matter what. I love this game. I will justify a 10 with whatever it takes. So... how about I just not and you can say I did?

This is exactly how I feel MMX. I love the maps to death. The new characters are all fun in their own way. The weapons are nice and ballanced. Thats why I gave it a 9. I took a point away mainly because some of the glitches that ruin the leaderboards, sometimes tranzit is a pain in the arse, and a couple tiny things. But I don't see how someone can give this game anything lower than a 8. All of the new things introduced to make the game enjoyable and people complain. Thats what people do though, complain.

Uggggh... I could make a long post of why I think so, but I'd give it a 10. No matter what. I love this game. I will justify a 10 with whatever it takes. So... how about I just not and you can say I did?

This is exactly how I feel MMX. I love the maps to death. The new characters are all fun in their own way. The weapons are nice and ballanced. Thats why I gave it a 9. I took a point away mainly because some of the glitches that ruin the leaderboards, sometimes tranzit is a pain in the arse, and a couple tiny things. But I don't see how someone can give this game anything lower than a 8. All of the new things introduced to make the game enjoyable and people complain. Thats what people do though, complain.

Each have their own opinions, and there is no point in arguing about matter of taste. I'm glad you guys love the game.

Storyline - 10/10

Gameplay - 8/10 (had to take off points for TranZit. Love everything else.)

Ranking System and other features - 2/10 (Implemented horribly. Feels like a half assed attempt at a ranking system. Custom game options are nice though.)

OVERALL - 9/10

Honestly, I love what they've done with zombies in Black Ops 2. The storyline is incredibly detailed and complex, and has been a great continuation from the previous games. The maps have been extremely diverse and fun to play. You gotta give it to Treyarch for coming up with such great maps still.

My only complaint is the ranking system and stat tracking features, but considering I don't really care about rank too much anyways, I only took off a point.

Overall, I'm very happy with BO2 so far.

Umhh.... I... I dunno. BO2 zombies were a huge letdown for me. I can't judge a game until all of the DLC's have been released. If they bring back some of the old maps (I WANT KINO GODDAMN) then I will give the game a solid 9. Currently I can give the game a 5. I hate the buildables. Takes away the fun. Same with Perma Perks. Just give me a BO2 version of Kino and Moon. Then add Flopper on Kino. Then I will give the game a 10/10.

Here's what I really think it comes down to: were you a BO1 Zombies player from the start, or a BO2 player? Is BO2 what got you into Zombies? If yes, then you'll see it more positively than if you got into Zombies on an older game.

This.

People who started with Black Ops 1 like that game better, people who started with Black Ops 2 generally like the new-gen zombies game better. Also, a lot of people hating on BO2 are saying that the maps are "too easy to get to a high round". Personally, I just play zombies for fun and rarely go for high rounds, so that doesn't apply for me.

I prefer BO2 and give it a rating of 9/10.

Pros

-HUD and graphics are a huge improvement over BO1

-Normal box weapons are much better than the BO1 guns

-Storyline is great, much more detailed

-Introduction of persistent upgrades and buildables made the game more exciting

-New gamemodes Grief and Turned give us more things to do with zombies

-Maps are more exciting in general (only maps I liked in BO1 were CotD and Der Riese)

Cons

-Absence of a lobby leaderboard

-Some of the wonder weapons aren't too impressive (Jet Gun, Paralyzer).

First off, to anyone who rated it a 10/10, you must have either never played tranzit, or its been so long that you forgot how unbelievably terrible it is.

That aside, I'm in the group that before making a final assessment I will need to see what the final DLC's hold for us, but overall out of 10 I would give BO2 zombies a 6.5/10

take out Tranzit and i would give it an 8/10.

Black Ops 1 was an 8/10 solidly and probably a 9.5/10 had Kino Der Toten been more impressive.

Pros: The stats tracking has been awesome and fun to follow along with. Grief is very fun. The characters are starting to develop although we still don't really know WHY any of them interact with each other like they do (i.e. marlton hating russman, misty hating stuhlinger etc.) Story has progressed a lot but again, it really just seems like an entirely different story as opposed to an extension of the BO1/WAW story line.

Cons: The EE's have become so popular i guess in BO1, that treyarch seemed to make them the focus of BO2 zombies, as opposed to surviving. It should be the opposite. The EE should be something optional, not the very first thing that i get when i start the game and build a turbine (re: maxis talking thus starting the side quest) they had perfect balance in BO1. you could literally play the map 50 times and have no idea there was a side quest if you weren't looking for it. The wonder weapons have been lackluster up until the blundergat/vitriolic withering, and now the paralyzer. they finally got back to their roots and made them box weeapons thank god.

and the major cons/game breakers: no private match mode is a HUGE oversight. really screwed the pooch here. lastly no lobby leaderboards and the inclusion of rank has caused major difficulty in finding games and not having quitters once a game does start. (rarely EVER had a rage quit in black ops 1 with randoms)

First off, to anyone who rated it a 10/10, you must have either never played tranzit, or its been so long that you forgot how unbelievably terrible it is.

That aside, I'm in the group that before making a final assessment I will need to see what the final DLC's hold for us, but overall out of 10 I would give BO2 zombies a 6.5/10

Black Ops 1 was an 8/10 solidly and probably a 9.5/10 had Kino Der Toten been more impressive.

Pros: The stats tracking has been awesome and fun to follow along with. Grief is very fun. The characters are starting to develop although we still don't really know WHY any of them interact with each other like they do (i.e. marlton hating russman, misty hating stuhlinger etc.) Story has progressed a lot but again, it really just seems like an entirely different story as opposed to an extension of the BO1/WAW story line.

Cons: The EE's have become so popular i guess in BO1, that treyarch seemed to make them the focus of BO2 zombies, as opposed to surviving. It should be the opposite. The EE should be something optional, not the very first thing that i get when i start the game and build a turbine (re: maxis talking thus starting the side quest) they had perfect balance in BO1. you could literally play the map 50 times and have no idea there was a side quest if you weren't looking for it. The wonder weapons have been lackluster up until the blundergat/vitriolic withering, and now the paralyzer. they finally got back to their roots and made them box weeapons thank god.

and the major cons/game breakers: no private match mode is a HUGE oversight. really screwed the pooch here. lastly no lobby leaderboards and the inclusion of rank has caused major difficulty in finding games and not having quitters once a game does start. (rarely EVER had a rage quit in black ops 1 with randoms)

I actually enjoyed tranzit A LOT. And then I started reading all this negative feedback and thats what made me dislike it a little bit more. I still like it but everyone's negative feedback can kill your opinion.

I actually enjoyed tranzit A LOT. And then I started reading all this negative feedback and thats what made me dislike it a little bit more. I still like it but everyone's negative feedback can kill your opinion.

I can see that side of it, but it just had too much bad and not enough good for me. Especially those who BO2 is their first zombie experience many will hold Tranzit in high regard much like those who got their start in Kino on BO1 love it, and Nacht holds a special place in our hearts for those of us who have been killing the undead since 2008 lol.

I hope most dont let others opinions sway theres though, for instance the guys post directly above mine had exact opposite opinions on several things than me. My knee jerk reaction was "YOURE WRONG!" then i thought.... ya know what, he's not me and i'm not him we don't have to agree lol

I love TranZit.

L.O.V.E.

TranZit.

It's a matter of opinion. And I love all the maps. Glad to see I'm not alone though guys.

I'm seeing that more people really love tranzit than i thought possible, so if you don't mind, let me know some of the reasons why you love it? maybe im missing something that i should go back and take a second look

I don't find the idea of debating for a map intriguing. I mean, I'll debate story stuff, but this really is just a matter of opinion.

TranZit allows you to play on the largest map ever. For a long time, it was bigger is better. People wanted bigger and bigger maps. So, Treyarch gave it to us. There's fog? Denizens? Well of course! Did you think Treyarch was going to just set out a plane for us to run circles in? I was shocked people were shocked. People say it takes forever to get places, well that's only natural, as its a large map. But patience is a virtue, or so its said. Besides, the Bus Driver is humorous for those long lonely bus rides. I like the idea of a world of zombies. I can go down and know that there is no chance for my revival simply because of distance. Is that a bad thing? No. If I didn't accept that risk, I shouldn't have wandered off.

I'm not sure what else to tell you. I like all the maps. From Nacht to 1295.

I don't find the idea of debating for a map intriguing. I mean, I'll debate story stuff, but this really is just a matter of opinion.

TranZit allows you to play on the largest map ever. For a long time, it was bigger is better. People wanted bigger and bigger maps. So, Treyarch gave it to us. There's fog? Denizens? Well of course! Did you think Treyarch was going to just set out a plane for us to run circles in? I was shocked people were shocked. People say it takes forever to get places, well that's only natural, as its a large map. But patience is a virtue, or so its said. Besides, the Bus Driver is humorous for those long lonely bus rides. I like the idea of a world of zombies. I can go down and know that there is no chance for my revival simply because of distance. Is that a bad thing? No. If I didn't accept that risk, I shouldn't have wandered off.

I'm not sure what else to tell you. I like all the maps. From Nacht to 1295.

I can see that side of it, and it makes me understand why I hate it. The size, the distances, its all way too much. it makes zombies too time consuming. perhaps why i've gotten to love grief so much because you can play zombies for 40 minutes and feel like you've gotten to completion of the game. Thanks for clarifying your position though MMX! :D

Tranzit

Pros:

-Brought buildables into the game

-Unlimited number of training areas

-Introducing the whole maxis vs richtofen plot (Unless you consider moon the start)

-Introduced a new form of travel

-New Banking System

-New weapons storage

-Big map=more complex strategies

-HIGH replay-ability. Imagine if you were stuck on an island and only had one map to play for the rest of your life. Would you want to continaully play ascension, or play the countless training areas that you can have in tranzit.

Cons: (these are the ones I hear complained about the most)

-Fog. (OMG THIS IS SOOOO BAD. /sarcasm off. Seriously what is wrong with not being able to see 30 feet in front of you, learn the map and it wouldn't matter0

-Takes forever to set up.

*Thats only if you make it last long. Of course if you try and get everything on round 1 then its going to take some time but if you ride the bus and kill zombies on the way you will be set up by round 15 just as fast as if you tried to set up on round 1 (these figures are just estimates)

-Denizens

*These are not a bad thing. These can be easily handled. They can slow you down but thats only to balance the game out. Learn to time your knifes perfectly

-Lava

*Another thing that people complain about. Lava can actually help you if you use it right. They can be a hinderance to the noob, but help the pro.

-Jet gun

*This gun can be either a pro or a con, again depending on how you look at it. If you complain that it takes time to get a gun that kills any zombie at any round, then I would say that you are impatient and greedy. One of my favorite quotes from buried is when you get the paralyzer and one of the N4 says "You think a gun with unlimited ammo wouldn't come with strings attached" or something to that nature. Unlimited ammo and unlimited power but you still complain? WHY?????

Tranzit all depends on how you look at what is given. If someone gives you lemons make lemonade, don't eat it and then complain that its sour. Unless you like sour things, then go ahead, eat it.

*Saw mmx posts after writing that all out*

After reading what mmx said I agree, patience is virtue. and they introduced grief and town for a reason I think. They knew some people wouldn't like the time it took to set up so they introduced smaller maps to give players the option if they didn't have the extra 20 minutes to play.

Maps:

Tranzit- Oh my God, the struggle. The lava, the bats, the fog, the lava, the bus, the dying zombies, the lava, the jet gun. Like...seriously, for the first map of bo2 that thing killed my zombie boner so fast, just ugh. Least they gave you the option to stack paper in the bank and throw a gun in the fridge for the next one. (3/10)

Die Rise- overall map was pretty good, regretfully I haven't logged enough hours on it to fall In love but it's really good all the same. (8/10)

Mob of the dead- revamped more beautiful, more fun to play actually to this day i can't find something I didn't like about the map. The blundergat, a death machine from the box, a lifesaver in electric cherry, A SPORK, AND A TOMAHAWK, traps again, a warden that trolls, a fun side mission. Loved it (10/10)

Buried- Aw man only logged few hours on this map and boy...the struggle. Ghosts that rob you, no where to train, the damn maze, the pack a punch machine in hell, real hard man. The map is one of the first real challenges since Shangri la (no transit wasn't a challenge. Just damn annoying).

The weapons:

Pistols i only liked the python and executioner, cz> 5-7. Shotguns, why for the love of God was the s12 even in there? WW, jet gun (0/10), sliquifier 2 op, blundergat perfect, paralyzer (only reason its perfect is because the map is massive training rejection).

Leader board: just bring back bo1 boards plz, these dudes suck (0/10)

Overall 7/10

I couldn't stand Green Run at all when the game first came out. I hated it so much that i started playing BO again until Die Rise came out. And when it did come out, I was again unsatisfied with it. I thought I had lost all hope in where Treyarch was bringing Zombies as a whole, but when MoTD came out, I found that I actually liked that map and that Treyarch had released a map that wasn't completely terrible. Now that the last two maps were amazing, I honestly hope the quality continues into the last map. But even if the final DLC map is the best map ever, BO2 as a whole in Zombies will never compare to what BO was. In all, I would give it a 7/10.