Importance of the Ghost?

bagel_

Whaddup guys,

So uh, I usually am one to come out and start making theories about things in BO2 maps being related to others in the zombies universe, but something has been troubling me with Buried. Sure we've got this ghost lady and stuff, but what is her backstory? Why does she steal our points? I feel like scavenging through her house would help, has anyone found anything? Is she similar to Brutus, being sent back in time and crossing her own timeline occasionally?

I just wanted to start a discussion on this. What are your ideas? Because frankly, I got nothin'.

Courtesy Picture :)

bagel_, out.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

There have been some stories about the ghost being Lucy Lane in Caligo, but that's just as close as you can get.

From what we see, this ghost wants people to come into her house so she can reap their money and souls (since you can be downed by them). But the one part that always gets me is when the original spirit is found playing the piano after doing the Ballistic Knife step. All the other copies - including her - are shown to be crying. Why is she crying, and for what reason would she be playing the piano that can be seen at the bar?

*rolls up sleeves*

I may come off as a bit forward with this, but I don't care.

The Ghost Lady's name is Sarah Faraday, her maiden name being Bernard.

We start with the woman herself. She is a ghost, she is ethereal. But, she is wearing widow's clothing, and she is crying. So, we can tell that she is in grief. Who was her husband? She has not just one but four overly huge portraits of the same exact man in her living room alone. That would probably be her husband.

So, who is this man? Here's an awful-quality image of one of the portraits:

And here is another image:

Look familiar?

The man in the portrait is Michael Faraday, famous electrochemist. He is responsible for inventing the technology that is responsible for the motor, transformer, and generator. He died in 1867. His wife died in 1879, meaning that she was a widow. Spooky, huh?

So, the ghost lady is Michael Faraday's wife. If only we knew about his wife... Oh wait, we do. His wife's name was Sarah. So there you go. The real question now isn't who she is but how they got there.

I'm kind of gutted there is no backstory to her.

Then again, have Treyarch ever given a special enemy a back story? [Aside from George Romero]

Well I guess you can say the Hellhounds have some kind of backstory, you know with Fluffy being experimented on and what not. Also, I think Brutus might have some backstory in there but not much. I mean we know his name is Ferguson, right?

I think Treyarch doesn't put much backstory to the characters because they want us to figure it out. Just like with the ghost, with all the Lucy Lane theories and now with Sarah Faraday,which seems to be the most solid theory of who she really is.

Oh yeah, the hellhounds, how could I have forgot!

Brutus, is kind of 50/50. If you've listened to his voice files from the PC version then I guess you could say he is Ferguson.

Still no actual back stories, only theories for: The Pentagon Thief, Space Monkeys[? Haven't played Ascension], Astronaut zombies, Denziens, Leroy or the ghost.

Zombies - 935/Richtofen/115/etc

Gas Zombies - Maxis/Nova-6

H*llhounds - Fluffy/telepoter/accident

Pentagon Thief - Unknown

Space Monkeys - 115/monkey/Soviet/space/program

George Romero - 115/electricity/vril

Napalm Zombies - fire/115/zombie/mutation

Shrieker Zombies - partial/decomposition/light/115/zombie/mutation

Monkey Zombies - 115/monkey/natural

Phasing Zombies - mutated/gas/zombies

Astro-Zombies - zombies/in/a/spacesuit

Denizens - Russian/experimentation

"Him" - American/experimentation

Jumping Jacks - mutated/phasing/zombies

Brutus - zombified/Stanley/Ferguson

Beast - Cerberus

Sarah Faraday - ghost/lady/see/above

Zombies - 935/Richtofen/115/etc

Gas Zombies - Maxis/Nova-6

H*llhounds - Fluffy/telepoter/accident

Pentagon Thief - Unknown

Space Monkeys - 115/monkey/Soviet/space/program

George Romero - 115/electricity/vril

Napalm Zombies - fire/115/zombie/mutation

Shrieker Zombies - partial/decomposition/light/115/zombie/mutation

Monkey Zombies - 115/monkey/natural

Phasing Zombies - mutated/gas/zombies

Astro-Zombies - zombies/in/a/spacesuit

Denizens - Russian/experimentation

"Him" - American/experimentation

Jumping Jacks - mutated/phasing/zombies

Brutus - zombified/Stanley/Ferguson

Beast - Cerberus

Sarah Faraday - ghost/lady/see/above

Thanks MMX, this helps a lot. I just realized how many special enemies are in all the maps in zombies. That is A LOT.

*rolls up sleeves*

I may come off as a bit forward with this, but I don't care.

The Ghost Lady's name is Sarah Faraday, her maiden name being Bernard.

We start with the woman herself. She is a ghost, she is ethereal. But, she is wearing widow's clothing, and she is crying. So, we can tell that she is in grief. Who was her husband? She has not just one but four overly huge portraits of the same exact man in her living room alone. That would probably be her husband.

So, who is this man? Here's an awful-quality image of one of the portraits:

And here is another image:

Look familiar?

The man in the portrait is Michael Faraday, famous electrochemist. He is responsible for inventing the technology that is responsible for the motor, transformer, and generator. He died in 1867. His wife died in 1879, meaning that she was a widow. Spooky, huh?

So, the ghost lady is Michael Faraday's wife. If only we knew about his wife... Oh wait, we do. His wife's name was Sarah. So there you go. The real question now isn't who she is but how they got there.

That is extremely interesting. How much more obvious could it get. Her husband invented the technology used in things that give power. What is the number one goal in zombies? Turning the power on! Great find my friend :D

@Undead Nightmare: Thank you very much. Yes, there's a bunch. Typically, their creation is something as simple as a mutation. For example, the Gas Zombies seem to evolve. Some, like Fluffy and Brutus are far more complex.

@ExperienceThis: Thanks! I know, right? I'm trying to hold myself back from saying it isn't a theory but a fact. But I suppose it's just a theory... But I like it.

However, all that Lucy Lane nonsense is just that... nonsense. That was a theory BEFORE the game came out. That theory was formed on literally NO evidence. Sarah Faraday is much more likely in my opinion.

Now I think it's time we start looking into some information about Sarah Faraday and see if we can't find some clues.

Raw Data:

Born: 7 January 1800

Died: 6 January 1879

Age upon death: 78

Age Today : 213

Date Married: 12 June 1821

Location of Death : Barnsbury Villa, 320 Liverpool Road, N.

Location of Burial: The Sandemanian plot in Highgate Cemetery, London

• Administrators

Now I think it's time we start looking into some information about Sarah Faraday and see if we can't find some clues.

Raw Data:

Born: 7 January 1800

Died: 6 January 1879

Age upon death: 78

Age Today : 213

Date Married: 12 June 1821

Location of Death : Barnsbury Villa, 320 Liverpool Road, N.

Location of Burial: The Sandemanian plot in Highgate Cemetery, London

There's just so little information about her. Mentioned one time on his wiki page, and a "Find a Grave" site and that's about it. Although, her fathers name was Edward. That's all I can find though.

Just did a search on Edward Bernard, nothing. Found an English scholar who died 100 years prior to Sarah's birth but nothing more.

It seems the only real history is her husband, whose discoveries are the reason we have the motors etc. More of a small easter egg I'd say and not some huge discovery, at least not yet.

And the town is an American one that's been moved to Africa, right? Well, what would the Ghost of an English woman married to an English man (who never left the British Isles) be doing in an American town?

Well you could argue the same for Castro. A Cuban leader meeting with JFK at the USA's capital?!

Although I didn't know she died in London too. That's interesting. That means they didn't die in London.

Btw, since we don't know much about her, that gives Treyarch artistic license. They were able to pull off having Kennedy fight zombies on November 7, 1963 since they/we don't know exactly what in real life Kennedy was doing on November 7, 1963.

• Administrators

Well you could argue the same for Castro. A Cuban leader meeting with JFK at the USA's capital?!

Although I didn't know she died in London too. That's interesting. That means they didn't die in London.

Btw, since we don't know much about her, that gives Treyarch artistic license. They were able to pull off having Kennedy fight zombies on November 7, 1963 since they/we don't know exactly what in real life Kennedy was doing on November 7, 1963.

I think they died in London, but the house was moved over somehow and her ghost followed the house.

I think they died in London, but the house was moved over somehow and her ghost followed the house.

So... you think a single house walked? slided? got de-and-reconstructed?

I think they just moved...

• Administrators

So... you think a single house walked? slided? got de-and-reconstructed?

I think they just moved...

It's also possible that they had a house in the Wild West. Throughout history, many well off Englishman bought houses in this era and built their Victorian-style houses to give homage to their mainland, it was quite common. So while they died in London, I see it just as likely that the ghost came back to this house for whatever reason. Is this what you mean by moved?

• Administrators

Yup yup. I agree. Something of that nature definitely happened.

So how come you think she chose this house to be in, as opposed to their English house? Who knows I suppose.

Nice find MMX (or whoever found this). 

I only looked at Buried for the first time in theatre mode  last night. Laughed when I saw the picture & read your post MMX. 

As some people may know the heavy involvement of (and how much I bang on about) Nikola Tesla within COD Zombies, I really enjoyed the discovery of Michael Faraday's picture in Buried. 

Michael Farady was one of Nikola Tesla's heroes. It was Faraday's Alternating Current Motor that Tesla improved (as such) which is used in so many appliances in today's technology. 

AC Motor history

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_motor

Here is a brief history of one of Nikola Tesla's heroes! - Michael Faraday

http://home.earthlink.net/~drestinblack/faraday.htm

Michael Faraday

Born: September 22, 1791

Died: August 25, 1867

Another fun Fact about births & Deaths -

Amedeo Avogadro

Born: August 9, 1776

Died: July 9, 1856

Nikola Tesla

Born - 10 July 1856

Died - 7 January 1943 

As you can see, Nikola Tesla was born the day after Avogadro's death. I find that very interesting.