Why I believe Samantha Maxis is still in the Aether

Greetings CoDzers! Been awhile, hasn't it? Well, I've been around, watching as always, however for the first time since I've been on this site I think I actually have something valuable to say. There is reason to believe that Samantha Maxis is back in the aether, and is going to make a huge appearance in our finale EE.

I hope you enjoy the read, and please be gentle!

I first need to make a case for a few premises that must be accepted for the theory to work.

I believe our Mob of the Dead Entity, is/was present in the BO1 storyline through a connection to Samantha Maxis.

In Mob of the Dead, we have a controller that is neither Samantha, or Richtofen, and quite frankly the MotD Entity outshines them in almost every manner. He manipulates space and time with ease, creates barricades of flames at will, gives the prisoners temporary aethereal bodies, all for the sake of torture and to get them to do the even differently so that Weasel will survive. Compared to the few powers Richtofen has displayed, and the almost nothing Samantha seemed to be capable of, it was quite impressive. This entity was definitely powerful, but for some unknown reason, it lost it's power and was severely weakened.

I say this because there is hints at a secondary entity being present in the Black Ops Zombies Story. Richtofen hears voices after touching the MPD, a gateway to the Aether, Samantha references hearing voices, seeing things, etc, in several of the songs in BO. Even more definitively, she states during the Moon EE, "Something far more terrible than you lies here, Edward!" which combined with her overall dark and violent personality suggests to me, that there a bit more than just a distressed and angry little girl at play here.

So I believe that the entity linked to Samantha Maxis when she entered the MPD. Through her it was able to gain strength, and to manipulate her more and more. This is reflected in the increased references to hearing voices, and trying to hide and undo what was happening as the songs progress, just compare the lyrics in Kino, to those in Pareidolia. It is a remarkable difference.

In fact, I think it is even possible that "Coming Home" was more to reflect the Entity's excitement towards regaining it's lost power, because why would Samantha know and welcome losing her power and being made corporeal again, when she hasn't finished her goal? However, this bit isn't very important, just food for thought.

I believe that this entity was then crippled by the soul swapping process Richtofen enacted, as Richtofen hasn't seemed to become any darker than usual. He plays games with the zombies and survivors. Samantha tortured, hunted, and killed them.

I believe that Samantha died on Moon, possibly along with the O4, but because her body was in the aether, and she was connected to this entity within the aether, her soul was able to reenter, and of course the entity began to slowly regain strength once more.

Mob of the Dead, was I believe a flashback which Samantha passively witnessed while weakened from dying and having her soul and body split, and all the other rough activities she had been through.

Now a quick bit about why the singer is important.

In Black Ops and World at War, Elena's songs always represented Sam's point of view. They usually reflected her thoughts, her feelings, and her plans. The only times it wasn't Elena, was when it was an alternate perspective, and generally when the O4 were not playable in the map. In BO2, our singer for TranZit, and Die Rise was Clark S Nova, so he seemed to be our N4 Singer. His viewpoint in TranZit seemed to reflect that of a zombie, so by extension, Richtofen. His viewpoint in Die Rise seemed to reflect Maxis. So in general he reflected the two "Overlords" and their thoughts.

In Mob of the Dead, Malukah was the singer, but exactly who she was representing wasn't fully known. However a different singer was expected, as the N4 were not playable in this map. In Buried, a major curveball was thrown, when Malukah returned as the singer, rather than Nova. To me this represents a connection. A connection I believe to be Samantha Maxis.

In "Where are we going" the song asks just that, multiple times. This suggests a sort of confusion. Combined with the overall dreamlike slow feel of the song, I think it fits well with the idea of Samantha passively witnessing a flashback of the Entity's power back when it wasn't weakened or crippled.

It uses lines such as "I feel I'm falling" and "I hear the calling" and "I'm letting go of all I know" which suggest to me that she is falling back into the darkness again, back into the grasp of the entity which she was briefly separated from in Moon.

Now in Buried, the song "Always Running" fits with the premise of Malukah representing Samantha Maxis nicely. The overall tone of the song is very similar to most of the Black Ops and World at War songs. In it lines such as "I'm always running from what I am becoming" sounds just like our good old Samantha, trying to escape the darkness with no success. It also drops in several direct quotes, all from songs written from Samantha's perspective.

She mentions how she is turning into something unstoppable, something that others run from. How she is numb to the violence and pain, and how she always has been, and always ends up this way.

To me this song screams Samantha. I believe that it represents a culmination of years of the Entity combined with Samantha regaining it's strength, and finally now being ready to enact it's plan.

Through this thought I am certain that Samantha will play a massive part in the finale DLC.

What part? Well I see it as one of two possibilities. Either the Entity will have almost total control over the duo, and he will enact his plan which either could wrap up with annihilation, or leave us with another cliff hanger for the next Treyarch Zombies installment.

I could also see this similar situation happening if the Entity was still majorly crippled from the separation in Moon, and if Samantha was the true power, and the Mob of the Dead episode was more than just a flash back, and actually an active effort by Samantha to change history by protecting Weasel. She could be motivated for revenge, or just so upset that she wants to kill everything. Either way, it could end with complete death, or a cliff hanger.

But.

The second possibility I see, involves Samantha taking over the duo (Her and the Entity) and feeling remorse for everything that has happened, leads the N4 through the means to remove whichever "Overlord" you chose from power, and then steps to help her reset things back to the way they were before she, Richtofen, and Maxis created this whole mess. Thus wrapping up our Call of Duty Zombies Saga in a nice little bow.

Is either likely? Who knows. I have no clue what will happen, but it will be fascinating.

Thanks for reading. Leave your comments below. As always, Happy Slaying!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly believe Mob of the Dead was more canon than five. It has a lot more ties even though they are not direct.

Even though to some people this doesn't seem plausible I think that this is probably the closest we're going to get with all the evidence we have.

Good job.

To do with the entity's (aka satan possibly) might be due to the prisoners eventually breaking the cycle (Which might be caused by Sam as you said). Causing the entity to fall from power and the aether to remain silent until it was disturbed by 935 accessing the pyramid and using mdt devices and such.

The entity still might have some power which causes the corruption in the characters. There might not be an entity that is confronted in the last map pack but there is definetely something in the aether aside from Sam,Dr.Maxis and Richtofen.

What you said about the soul swapping crippling the entity it might be children are more susceptible to the entity and minds that have endured a lot are going to be sent insane.

It seems that what Richtofen intended was to gain power over the Earth using power sources but the entity had souls to power it's ways which might have influenced Satan sacrifices or such. Just a thought about that and I think I'm going offtopic; anyways the link between the Earth and the Aether might have been severed by the mobsters breakng the cycle interrupting the flow of souls between the Earth to the moon to the aether.

As you said I have no idea what will happen in the last map pack either but it might be a cliffhanger since Treyarch and money.

I think this small wall of text is a bit unsorted but you might be able to get something out of it.

Mega, some people find it hard to believe in a third entity, much less a fourth. I don't see your theory getting much appeal. I personally am holding off my judgement until I complete the Side Mission.

I'm not questioning your skepticism, I am myself, but I know that there has to be a few things that havent been explained yet, which would be the connection between our zombies storyline and MotD and it's entity, along with why Malukah returned as the singer, and who's perspective she was relaying in MotD and Buried.

what i am questioning however is, what exactly do you mean? I havent proposed any new entities. The MotD entity is clearly not any of the three we have/had. We know Samantha, Richtofen, and Maxis exist and are/were in the aether. So that's four. Where exactly can doubt be placed on the existence of any of these four?

Mega, some people find it hard to believe in a third entity, much less a fourth. I don't see your theory getting much appeal. I personally am holding off my judgement until I complete the Side Mission.

I'm not questioning your skepticism, I am myself, but I know that there has to be a few things that havent been explained yet, which would be the connection between our zombies storyline and MotD and it's entity, along with why Malukah returned as the singer, and who's perspective she was relaying in MotD and Buried.

what i am questioning however is, what exactly do you mean? I havent proposed any new entities. The MotD entity is clearly not any of the three we have/had. We know Samantha, Richtofen, and Maxis exist and are/were in the aether. So that's four. Where exactly can doubt be placed on the existence of any of these four?

You should search the motd forum, there was a whole theory thread on the entity that was controlling the zombies there. It was the god of death from Aztec belief aka Satan aka Hades, your choice really. Well that's just to give the entity a name of course. On buried it seems in richs egg, he's managed to gain full control to the extent that he can body hop at will. Not perfectly yet which indicates he's getting used to the power. While maxis on the other hand is using the power he's gained to search for Sam. Indicating they're probably not on the moon. So going by this logic its natural to assume that she literally CAN' be in the aether, as rich says yes she still has my body (WHICH ALSO PROBABLY MEANS THEYRE NOT DEAD).